Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We run diesel in our gen sets at work that is 4 years old or more with no problems. We just had all the tanks pumped out and the fuel re-filtered down to .5 microns. Cost about $1 a gallon to do 10K gallons. Diesel will last forever if kept dry and clean. Crude oil sets in the ground for millions of years.........

Yes it is a mandatory that you keep your tanks full, especially on units that get used infrequently. I see condensation on my two JD tractor's fuel caps. They get used twice a week in the busy mowing season, set for weeks in the winter.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #22
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Fill it now! With fuel today at $5.12 per gallon it will be over $6.00 by July 4th. Soon people will be stealing trucks for the fuel and not the truck!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Just an Opinion

I think I would hold off as long as possible before I filled that tank. This ridiculious price for fuel should PEAK and start back down. I filled my regular tank today (I dont have an extra tank)@$4.65 per total cost $139.50. Thats a Murphy Oil price(Wal-Mart)We use this truck as the primiary but I think we are goin back to the gas job.
Happy Streamin Everyone
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
I remember reading about an entire community who pooled there resources quite a number of years ago and are still paying 1980?? prices. Thats what I call municipal planning!
Jeez, I'd be happy with 2007 prices!!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
We run diesel in our gen sets at work that is 4 years old or more with no problems. We just had all the tanks pumped out and the fuel re-filtered down to .5 microns. Cost about $1 a gallon to do 10K gallons. Diesel will last forever if kept dry and clean. Crude oil sets in the ground for millions of years.........

Yes it is a mandatory that you keep your tanks full, especially on units that get used infrequently. I see condensation on my two JD tractor's fuel caps. They get used twice a week in the busy mowing season, set for weeks in the winter.
Crude oil will keep forever....but additive packages that are added to refined diesel to clean injectors and lubricate upper engine function will not. They break down very quickly.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #26
Certifiable

. , .
Tipping Point?

"A crash in the oil markets is not imminent" according to George Soros.

Thanks George.

I say figure out what you need to get you through the 4th of July weekend and put that much fuel in that fantastic tank of yours. (Just don't get your gas in CT! ) Gas prices are going to be going up until at least then, but interestingly, U.S. demand is already down by 10,000 barrels a day. And foreign demand will be going down just as soon as subsidies are removed -- which is happening now. Indonesia and Taiwan cut their subsidies last month, Malaysia will scrap them altogether in August and India will do so sooner rather than later as well. Those subsidies allowed many of these developing countries to guzzle oil, pushing up world prices. (e.g. Malaysia @ $0.60/liter )

A crash may not be imminent but relief at least appears to be on the horizon.

(After Labor day? )
Old 06-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
My 275 gallon oil tank in the basement sits somewhere between empty and full for long periods. I know its only being used to fuel a big torch flame in the boiler, but the only difference of what comes out is the color, green vs red.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Great install. A friend of mine has had one in his truck for close to 2 years. He travels from Pa to Va every other week and fuels in VA for . 25 to .30 cent a gallo less with each fillup.

As mentioned before I would consider using a fuel additive to reduce the possibility of water. I use Stanydyne Blue. Event though it does not state that it sequesters water I have talked to their engineers and and from their statements and my own experience it does. I have not had a water in fuel light since I started using it some 10 years ago.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray5 View Post
does this tank have baffles in it to kep the fuel from sloshing from side to side? quite a bit of weight transfer with a half tank going around curves without them.
I don't know. I'll need to ask my "people" (my husband).

Anyway, at this point we have not noticed any issues with the TVs handling due to the extra weight we are lugging around (and I don't mean the weight we have gained over the years, I mean the TVs weight).

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

Second reason is in event of Gulf Coast hurricane evacuation. I'm estimating 3-5 mpg in stop/go traffic, and that 60 gals means I can make at least 150-250 miles before needing fuel.
Right - Being prepared for a local or national emergency is the other reason we invested in an extended fuel tank too.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79 View Post
MYBOYBURT, I love the tank. Wish I had one like it for those Alaska long range to the arctic circle trips.

One thing you mentioned and I am probably redundent in my comments here, is that you only use the rig for your AS puller. REMEMBER, fuel deterioates rather quickly. The suggested storage time for diesel fuel is ONLY 90 days maximum and it starts to deteriorate at 30 days according to refinery information I read. But the big thing is diesel draws water like a sponge. I am only mentioning this because I got the idea you rig might set for exstended periods of time. Just my two cents worth, I am sure you'r knew these things but some folks don't.

I have a friend who is a fruit rancher. He has a duramax and before that had a power stroke. He got rid of the power stroke cause it never would run right according to Him. Well,,, His duramax never does run right either. He buys his farm diesel and stores it in a 2,000 gallon tank. Gets it cheap and keep it too long....the only thing that will burn it is His 30 year old diesel John Deere...but you can't tell him that. He thinks the motors just won't run right...lol... refuses to admit its because of year old diesel.

Thanks for the advice. Good news is our TV is out and about nearly every weekend from mid March until Thanksgiving weekend due to our being wicked active in the New England Unit of the WBCCI. We've already filled this beast twice since we purchased the extended tank system.

But, that's what it's all about (isn't it?). We LOVE to camp and travel with our Airstream and the extended tank just allows us a bit more freedom.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I had a 50 gal. in-bed-tank added a couple of years ago when the price of fuel was getting into the mid $2.00 range, oh for the good ole' days! You are really going to like the range and the fact that you aren't maneuvering around small gas stations all the time. You can somewhat 'shop' for prices. As far as weight goes the 600 or so pounds that 75 gals. adds (approx. 8lbs./gal.) will be noticeable, I can feel the difference on my 3/4 ton Ford with the extra 50 gals., but the gross weight figures when fully fueled and loaded are still below manufacturers max. You might want to check that on a CAT scale.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
On Monday I ordered the 30 gal. across the bed tank from Transfer Flow (TF) along with the Camper Shell Fill. Just got off the phone with the trucking company and it will be delivered to my home on Friday. I figure that will give me a total of 64 gallons when all topped off. Ah, another project for me to fool with.
All of you that write in these threads are causing me to do things that I normally wouldn't do. And, I thank you!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:48 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Michelle & Leon,
My father used this type of tank for years with their 5th wheel because they traveled from Michigan to Texas and back every year. Dad did this to keep them away from some of the stations that watered their fuel or had dirty fuel, it also allowed the pick and choose on price. Dad had the manual switch because he would run the truck off that tank and kept the stock tank as a researve.
As far as when to fill that would depend mostly on where you was going, if you are traveling from a high price area to a low, only carry enough to get into that area then tank up, such as from the north to the south, currently diesel here is running around 3.95-4.05 gallon.
As far as the weight issue you shouldn't have to worry about anything except in a emergency stop, Diesel weighs in at 7 pounds per gallon, if you have baffles in the tank you should not have to worry about sloshing effect causing problems with a 1/2 tank.
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
That's a really cool setup. Nice piece of mind when your in the middle of no where! Since this thread first started, diesel has gone from about $4.19 to $4.70 here in Tampa. Ridiculous. The crooks are the ones wearing ties.
kstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
Michelle & Leon,
My father used this type of tank for years with their 5th wheel because they traveled from Michigan to Texas and back every year. Dad did this to keep them away from some of the stations that watered their fuel or had dirty fuel, it also allowed the pick and choose on price. Dad had the manual switch because he would run the truck off that tank and kept the stock tank as a reserve.
As far as when to fill that would depend mostly on where you was going, if you are traveling from a high price area to a low, only carry enough to get into that area then tank up, such as from the north to the south, currently diesel here is running around 3.95-4.05 gallon.
As far as the weight issue you shouldn't have to worry about anything except in a emergency stop, Diesel weighs in at 7 pounds per gallon, if you have baffles in the tank you should not have to worry about sloshing effect causing problems with a 1/2 tank.
Great info about your Dad's setup, thanks!

We do have baffles in the extended tank (my husband confirmed this for me). He just filled the beast today at $4.66 per gallon. We needed 84.4 gallons which cost us $393.00.

We are now cutting back on non Airstream / travel purchases (like going out to dinner or buying electronics) so that we have the $$$ to purchase the fuel we need to continue our Airstream lifestyle. I read and hear on the news that this is the way it's going to be (meaning wicked high fuel costs). Man, not a good thing if true.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:41 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Extened fuel tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt View Post
Great info about your Dad's setup, thanks!

We do have baffles in the extended tank (my husband confirmed this for me). He just filled the beast today at $4.66 per gallon. We needed 84.4 gallons which cost us $393.00.

We are now cutting back on non Airstream / travel purchases (like going out to dinner or buying electronics) so that we have the $$$ to purchase the fuel we need to continue our Airstream lifestyle. I read and hear on the news that this is the way it's going to be (meaning wicked high fuel costs). Man, not a good thing if true.
You know that is a pretty good idea on the cutting back, our A/S is at AS/JC being worked on and we will be getting it back in May 09, and are really looking forward to spending most of our time in it, working our way into full time. When I gave the fuel prices I had not checked them in 3 or 4 days, was out yesterday to go for training and diesel prices was 4.45 to 4.60 per gallon.
The truck I have now is not as good as I need so I will be purchase new sometime between Oct 08 and May 09, will have the added tanks as well and the tank I will get from the local farm supply unless I decide to have one custom made, most likely diesel, Have to have something that can pull the A/S and I can load my HD Ultra in the back.
Good luck on your travels, maybe we will see ya in the future.
Mark
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Just a little extra feed back. I installed my 30 gal Transferflow cross the bed tank over a weekend. The system works flawlessly.
I also installed the Traks II system that keeps track of the fuel in the aux. tank and the OE tank and automaticly starts the pump and transfers the fuel when it is needed to keep both tanks at about the same level. The whole system including the 30 gals. of fuel weighs in at 329#'s.
The instructions are pretty clear and come with drawings that help a lot. As long as you take your time and don't rush the project I think most people who do minor mechanical stuff can do this install. You will need a helper get the tank in place and to hold the bolt heads on the inside of the bed while you are under the bed tighting the nuts. Since I needed to move the tank often before final bolt down, I slid it around on a piece of old carpet so not to scratch the bed. The Traks II part is a mini computer in the display unit. In order to mount it in the center of my dash in front of a cubby hole required me to snap out some of the dash and console panels to run the wires and make it easier to drill the hole in the back of the cubby hole for the wires to pass thru. Also you have to drill a few holes in the bed floor to anchor the tank and in the side of the bed for hoses and electrical wires, and I needed one for wiring under the carpet on the driverside floor. When all done I cut my Bed RuG to fit around the tank and had some similar material from another truck Bed Rug and used those pieces to cover the outside of the tank. Best thing is that this tank only takes up 11 inches of the length of the 8 ft. bed. The tank itself measures only 9 inches wide.
See ya at the pumps, but not quite as often.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Deer , Alberta
How big is the filler?

I don't know about elsewhere, but in Canada Diesel is about 15 cents/litre cheaper at truck stops. The thing is the truck stop nozzles are like three times the diameter of the regular gas station nozzles. So if you have a filler that can take the bigger nozzle you can save a lot.
canadianguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
The filler thru the camper shell to the tank is the same size as the oem on the truck. I suppose if that was a problem a larger one could be used in it's place. I don't have any plans to change it at present as most truck stops here have pumps up front for diesel pick ups and cars and the prices are the same, the nozzles are smaller too.
Thanks for the heads up, I enjoy traveling and camping in "The Great White North", and will probably head up that way again if these fuel prices ease a little.

P.S. TransferFlow sells 2 different fill ports. I'm not sure but I think they both use the same fill cap so are probably the same size dia. for the fill nozzle. The only difference I can see is the size of the outer flange. But I might be wrong. Look at their site to make sure, or call them, if you are thinking about getting a tank.