Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2018, 07:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Thanks for all the great replies, did not think this would have taken this tack and I'll let him know what you all think he should do.
I think he likes towing with the Kenworth though and it's just an excuse to do so.

If a hammer is good for the job a sledge hammer should work better.
Seriously? If you’ve been a member more than a week you should know if you post a picture of the Sistine Chapel on this forum people would tell you they would have done it all eggshell white and it would have looked better! 😁
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #22
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Perhaps "overheat" has many definitions. My 04 2500 Duramax will get plenty hot when I pull up grades, but never into the red zone - which would be critical. It is normal for temps to rise to 220 or so, fan running and noisy; but I am sure to keep the rpms up and have never crossed a critical line.

Hot hot is "overheat" for you?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:04 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
That is someone with more money than sense - or it is his work rig which makes a lot of sense in not having to own, insure and upkeep a second tow vehicle. Good looking rig. And, yes, all the extra attention does factor in.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #24
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Farmer View Post
That is someone with more money than sense - .
A used tractor isn't that expensive. With many tractors achieving near million mile status, one that has a half a million to 3/4 million miles is easy to find at less than $20,000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Volvo-...Jbb3uD&vxp=mtr

Selling off one of the back axles can generate some cash to make other modifications. The tractor can be modified to pull traditional trailers or 5th wheel

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

lancing , Tennessee
Rv.net has a whole section for heavy duty trucks as tow vehicles. You can modify them to get them registered as an rv and that helps a ton on insurance, just need a bathroom, water, and thing to cook on. Many keep a sleeper on it and just put things there.

Large semi will often get decent mileage with a light load like super heavy 5th wheel camper. They are often cheaper to buy used than a new diesel pickup especially if you are looking at something like the diesel 4x4 crew cab stuff.

For some of the toy hauler weight ratings you are messing with the 450 or 550 level pickups, so a semi is not that terribly far off.

A lot of trucks like driving their semi trucks, one guy put an airstream on the back of his dump truck after retiring and removing the dump bed.

Yes it is interesting for them, but a semi is made to handle lots of miles, lot of weight, they know where to get em worked on already, and honestly you fill up the fuel tanks and can have a 1k mile or more range before needing to fill up.

I worked on heavy duty stuff for a bit, have a soft spot for it. Hate driving it for a living. For many air streams it is super duper overkill but as mentioned a heavy 5th wheel horse trailer with a load that can move the semi is overkill and makes for a peaceful ride.
biere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
You drive what you want and quit bashing us for driving what we want. No such thing as overkill over safety. I love my truck and the storage it offers. Also I do work out of my truck fixing the trailers that get the snot shaking out of them by your little trucks and cars.
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
A used tractor isn't that expensive. With many tractors achieving near million mile status, one that has a half a million to 3/4 million miles is easy to find at less than $20,000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Volvo-...Jbb3uD&vxp=mtr

Selling off one of the back axles can generate some cash to make other modifications. The tractor can be modified to pull traditional trailers or 5th wheel

>>>>>>>>>>Action
....that Volvo is wore out...engine overhaul could be 30,000 plus....I run them big trucks for 52 years...my friend just spent 42,000 rebuilding a cat engine, them old used trucks might not be a cheap date.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:49 AM   #28
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Many of those tractors will not tow 80,000 pounds with out opening the wallet wide. However an Airstream is what 5 or 10 thousand pounds. That is hardly a noticeable load. For the person that knows what they are looking for, a tractor may be an option. It isn't for everyone. And that Volvo is only one example of hundreds of tractors that come on the market each year in that price range.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-15-2018, 10:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
I think that we can all agree that since he doesn't have a Hensley he is being irresponsible and putting others lives at risk!

Hey, I have a Hensley and I’m still being accused of putting others lives at risk!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3814.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	653.7 KB
ID:	319996Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3811.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	547.2 KB
ID:	319997
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #30
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There are other alternatives being tested. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
When a 3500 is not enough

Nice. Had a similar course run with a 6x6 truck and a commo shelter. Driver was a Lance Corporal, co-driver a 2nd Lt. The driver achieved a couple feet of air over the humps on the course, managed to spray mud on the peanut gallery several times. The 2nd Lt. needed a barf bag...at least twice. The Lance was grinning the entire time.
Fortunately the shelter never came off...but they sure tried.
Funniest bit was my boss drove his AMC Gremlin over the course before they ran it with the truck. He was a retired Lt. Colonel, USMC. As the old saying goes, one tough S...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:01 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Nice. Had a similar course run with a 6x6 truck and a commo shelter. Driver was a Lance Corporal, co-driver a 2nd Lt. The driver achieved a couple feet of air over the humps on the course, managed to spray mud on the peanut gallery several times. The 2nd Lt. needed a barf bag...at least twice. The Lance was grinning the entire time.
Fortunately the shelter never came off...but they sure tried.
Funniest bit was my boss drove his AMC Gremlin over the course before they ran it with the truck. He was a retired Lt. Colonel, USMC. As the old saying goes, one tough S...

Ahhh... The AMC Gremlin. That and the Citroen were my favorite matchbox cars growing up. I wonder if anyone ever towed an Airstream with one of those? The ultimate underkill?
Old 08-19-2018, 11:33 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
When a 3500 is not enough

Had a friend with a 2CV. Took a running start just to merge into traffic. The hydro elastic suspension was an engineering nightmare when it broke, but amazing when it worked. He could change a tire without a jack by using a block of wood to hold up a corner. Really weird setup in general, but he loved it.

The Gremlin lasted a long time, but I heard from him it finally did fall apart. Literally. The whole thing just collapsed one day into a pile of bent metal. He actually had to pay the scrap yard to come get the remains...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Had a friend with a 2CV. Took a running start just to merge into traffic. The hydro elastic suspension was an engineering nightmare when it broke, but amazing when it worked. He could change a tire without a jack by using a block of wood to hold up a corner. Really weird setup in general, but he loved it.

The Gremlin lasted a long time, but I heard from him it finally did fall apart. Literally. The whole thing just collapsed one day into a pile of bent metal. He actually had to pay the scrap yard to come get the remains...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4706.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	763.1 KB
ID:	320385
Here they are. Does the racing stripe make one faster?
Old 08-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Well this thread sure has run off course. Hot Wheels? Really?

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #36
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
One more step to keep progress going.

Some instability problems to solve.
A few reliability issues we can discuss.
And some real winners to crow about if it's your rig. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote