Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Greene View Post
16 Sport with a 2015 F150 4x4 standard v8
(Non eco boost) at 64 mph, between 14.2 and 15.3
mpg.
We also have 2015 F150 4x4, 5.0 Super Cab and on trip back from Tampa dealer to NW GA with our 2016 FC25 got between 11-12 mpg running between 65 - 70. Uphill Hope it will improve when the truck is broke in, but not displeased. Got 21.2 on trip down unloaded running 70+.

Dave

Old 06-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
We just returned from Colorado to Yellowstone trip over two 8,000+ foot passes each way. Overall average was 14.8 mpg.

Our rig: GMC Sierra HD 2500 Diesel Duramax with Allison transmission + 2012 International Serenity 27FB with ProPride Hitch

Colorado Mountains
International Sterling 27FB
2015 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax & Allison
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Had a bit of a shock theses last couple of weeks. Normally I get around 13.5 towing with my Jeep GC Hemi. Currently on my first trip thru the Smokies and up the Blue Ridge Parkway. My mileage has dropped dramatically to between 6 and 10 in the mountains. Engine and brakes are getting a workout. Diesel braking and torque would certainly be a plus on this trip. Might have to start considering a change in TV. Problem is I really like the JGC.
Would mileage are folks with the JGC diesel getting in the mountains?
Old 06-15-2016, 07:32 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
Which makes me wonder how folks here are getting the MPGs that are stated here.
The people who report unbelievable mileage on this forum are simply not to be believed.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Michael, check with forum member Jim Flower, we met him at JC this spring. He has been towing his GC EcoD and 30' Airstream for many miles and describes excellent fuel economy.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #90

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Having just finished a 15 day trip from sea level, up to 9500 ft and back we averaged 13.7 MPG round trip from Mississippi to the Grand Tetons and back.

Economy run? Nope. When the light turned green I smashed on the right pedal, spooled up the turbo, blew black smoke up to 65 MPG and then set the cruise. The only time it down shifted out of OD was climbing the hills around Branson MO.

1963 Overlander, 2006 Dodge Diesel, both loaded to the gills.

My buddy's Tundra/'75 Tradewind averaged 10.8 on the same trip (at a slightly slower speed).
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #91
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Pulling our FC 30' from east Tennessee to southern Indiana with a new Ford F250 6.2 V8, we got about 11.5 mpg. I didn't have the cap on, so the extra weight may cost me more than the decreased wind-resistance gains. Cap is on now, so I will have a better idea next time. Normal driving without the trailer gets me about 15.5 mpg. I still only have about 2 K on the truck, so maybe it will do a little better when it's broken in.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #92
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
What's your towing MPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Had a bit of a shock theses last couple of weeks. Normally I get around 13.5 towing with my Jeep GC Hemi. Currently on my first trip thru the Smokies and up the Blue Ridge Parkway. My mileage has dropped dramatically to between 6 and 10 in the mountains. Engine and brakes are getting a workout. Diesel braking and torque would certainly be a plus on this trip. Might have to start considering a change in TV. Problem is I really like the JGC.

Would mileage are folks with the JGC diesel getting in the mountains?

When I work through the Appalachians on the Interstate I lose another 22%. And yet more on winding two-lanes. The diesel percentage penalty is similar to gasoline. Above 5000-ft, yes, a turbodiesel doesn't lose power as much a naturally aspirated engine. But today's EFI and multi gear autos killed most of that penalty.

It is what it is. The question is how many miles annually are spent climbing and descending.

A dedicated mountain vehicle is better with numerically higher rear gears . . but then it loses flatland mpg.

Too many trade offs not worthwhile unless based in said region.

From your annual fuel budget, find the penalty. The percentage is probably low due to the mountain versus flatland miles.

Use the gears more. Hold on longer. Rev it up closer to redline AND when it recovers in next gear, note rpm. The closer that is to peak torque, the better. Learn manual shifting of an automatic for best power thru the gears without flooring it. When it "comes back in" bear peak torque, you're gold. You'll shorten the acceleration times in a fashion which benefits mpg.

Same for braking. Use the gears and start your descents more slowly. Hard brake apps is relative. Short, but effective.

You just need more practice.

And, despite the above which is against vehicle changes, trailer disc brakes will make a substantial improvement.

When your trailer brakes can stop the rig without use of the vehicle service brake on level ground at low moderate speed (a European requirement), THOSE are the ones you want.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:21 AM   #93
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A dedicated mountain vehicle is better with numerically higher rear gears . . but then it loses flatland mpg.
One thing so far missing from most of these reports is what that gearing is on their tow vehicle. As you mention, this can play significantly into MPG. One of the reasons I have the vehicle I have now is because when I initially purchased a ton pickup I needed it for the bed but was going to use it as a daily driver too, so I made MPG my main goal (fuel was still in the $3+ range at the time). Unfortunately for me, I realized the minute we bought our first camper that I was in trouble. Pulling it home from the dealership, the truck was struggling and my initial thought was the V6 engine was the culprit. I was able to use the vin on RAM's website to determine the max towing and when it pulled up the configuration, I realized that the truck had the lower gearing which maximized the MPG, but cut the towing significantly.

I ended up buying a different pickup that happily hauled the 'big' Aliner I had and gave me 14-16 MPG consistently with or without hills. However, with the Airstream, I'm really struggling to get more than 10-12 MPG consistently. Driving to and from Lubbock/Amarillo where the winds tend to be pretty strong, I drop to 8-10 MPG. Which now has me thinking I might be better off looking at diesels. The only question is which one. I keep looking and there isn't a clear winner. Looking at this thread I was hoping it would help more, but few people are putting in enough details to really help others determine what configurations are getting what. Putting in the gear ratio would go a long way into this... fuel sites (like fuelly) can only tell you so much as well because you don't have a clue are they towing? Or are they running empty? So many factors play into these MPG figures, but more information about TV configuration I think would be helpful.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:38 AM   #94
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Little River , South Carolina
2004 LB7 Duramax CC on 35's with a Edge Juice tuner gets me about 15mpg at 70 pulling my '84 31' Excella. Normal around town is about 19
Old 06-16-2016, 05:25 AM   #95
rbs
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
2015 F250 crew 4x4 power stroke pulling 15 30' Classic, 9000 mile trip 12.4 mpg computed on truck's computer. Just returned from 3300 mile trip mostly thru Appalacians 11.4 mpg. Speed is determined by road condition, 65-70 when allowed. Side note, the truck actually does a little better than the computer suggests, I have never been able to put in as much fuel as it says we have used. The quality of the fuel plays a significant factor in mpg too. My issue isn't really mpg, but the small fuel tank, 25 gallons.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:31 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Toyota Tundra CrewMax
5.7 iMax
381 hp
401 ft. lbs. torque
6 speed automatic
4:30 rear end gears

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:09 AM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
We seem to be averaging 10-12 MPG in general usage with a 2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 5.3L/3.43 combo towing a 23d. When I'm not towing I'll get 18-20 depending on conditions. Our worst was about 8.5 MPG going through the mountains. We discussed going diesel on this trip... I did talk to two different folks who had RAM Eco Diesels and both were pulling about 6,000 lbs (roughly what the 23d loaded is)... and they were both getting about the 10-15 MPG range depending on conditions. Which makes me wonder how folks here are getting the MPGs that are stated here. One guy also mentioned that he had very little power when pulling up steep climbs.

I know this isn't a scientific study, but looking at the results made me wonder what some of the other factors were in their mileage.
I had the EcoDiesel. It has decent low end grunt, but it's horsepower lacked.

One thing that a lot of people don't understand is that low end TQ is good for getting heavy vehicles moving, but it's horse power that determines how quickly you can get up a hill.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #98
planning for full time...

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Somerset County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
One thing that a lot of people don't understand is that low end TQ is good for getting heavy vehicles moving, but it's horse power that determines how quickly you can get up a hill.
I like to think of it this way, torque is the amount of work you can do. Horsepower is the rate at which you can do that work.