Old 05-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
2016 4x4 Ram ecodiesel towing 25' Safari @65 mph Avg mpg 16.2 All terrain and winds. Best without towing 27.3

Old 05-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Olatje , Kansas
Dodge Durango V6 AWD towing our 22Fb normally yields 12.5-13 MPG.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mount Angel , Oregon
Looking For Mr. GoodHaul

We are looking for a new tow vehicle and rented an F150 EBoost from Airstream Adventures Northwest ($85.00 / day flat fee). We hauled our 25 ft FC up the Santiam Pass and averaged 11-11.5 MPG. I was surprised at the available pwer, but felt a bit like a sloppy whale despite a WD hitch.

Susan
Old 05-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
duncans, if you like the power and economy of the F150 you can make that sloppy whale as solid as a rock with a pivot point projection hitch. Or you can improve it with stiffer tires (maybe only increased pressure), some loading adjustment, and a good setup and adjustment of the w.d. hitch with sway control bars.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
MPG is important to us all for economic reasons. The feasibility of any trip directly relates to the cost of fuel/gas.

MPG reduction tips include

1. Not carrying the weight of water unless expected campsite will be dry.

2. I have the 36 gallon tank it allows me to shop around for gas

3. A gas station finder app set for lowest price.

Are there any other good cost savings ideas out there?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #62
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
Sorry I should have specified my engine. My 2015 F150 has the 3.7 Ecoboost engine getting 11mpg towing a 9000 lb Classic.
I bet that is a 3.5 EB. There is a 2.7 EB.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:44 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by senioryakker View Post
When checking your mileage, do not go by the tv display calculator but do the math. The onboard "lie-ometer" is notoriously inaccurate in most cases. My 06 Ram 3500/4wd/Cummins/dually shows a consistent 16-17mpg towing an 07 Classic Limited, 29'. Doing the math shows in the 12-13 mpg with which I am happy, towing in the 60-65mph range. I note the same variations driving empty, from 20-22mpg by computer to 17-18 by the math.

I notice similar variations in our 2014 Subaru Outback, but variation is only about 10%.
When my gallons used shows a number at the pump, the nozzle clicks off within a tenth. I have checked it at every fill up and it is consistent.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:49 AM   #64
Vintage Kin

Corpus Christi , Texas
What's your towing MPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
MPG is important to us all for economic reasons. The feasibility of any trip directly relates to the cost of fuel/gas.

MPG reduction tips include

1. Not carrying the weight of water unless expected campsite will be dry.

2. I have the 36 gallon tank it allows me to shop around for gas

3. A gas station finder app set for lowest price.

Are there any other good cost savings ideas out there?

A larger context on fuel consumption is helpful. Analysis of the annual fuel bill is where to start. Records, in short. Every mile and every gallon.

It is possible to underwrite a significant amount of travel by reducing the costs of solo driving.

The DHS released a report a few years back which noted that about 90% drove to the same places 90% of the time. This is fruit for combining trips (eliminating cold starts). One is setting up an errand route or routes (such as those used by FedEx and UPS) which eliminate left hand turns, excessive idling and the like. Same for a commute.

By reducing annual miles somewhat -- but significantly reducing cold starts in a serious way -- one can then focus on driving those reduced miles at a higher skill level. In short, by never stopping and never idling as ones mantra, change unthinking habits for fresh rewarding ones.

I already had good habits, overall, but took the challenge from a Cummins engineer that I was leaving food on the table in city driving. The context was the difference between highway and city driving. It is mainly skill which separates steady state higher highway mpg from stop and go city numbers.

For 1,100-miles I had each trip planned (remember, same places) and was adamant about avoiding stops (full stops, in main). I achieved a 23% increase in city mpg.

Most wouldn't have bothered. After all, how many people do you know who already get 18-mpg in the city with a one ton truck? But I took it to a solid 23-mpg over those miles.

On an annual basis given my use at that time, and the documented towing travel mpg, this would have underwritten 5,000-miles of "free" miles.

Otherwise, the mechanical details of the vehicles must be verified as top notch. Alignment, brake drag and tire pressure. "New" does not mean a pass from a professional inspection. Etcetera. (Steering slop on even a brand new 4WD truck is a mpg killer. There are quite a few avenues to explore).

And I would never set my trailer in tow without full fresh water. It helps lower the center of gravity, and is just as important as full propane.

A VPP hitch adds to the tenths by keeping steering wheel corrections to a dead minimum. Setting it correctly (or any other WDH) is worth MORE than a mpg.

So, past the annual fuel bill is looking to the "towing penalty" from solo to hitched.

Set a long solo round trip from home at the same speed as when towing and loop back to the same fuel pump. Stop fuel fill at first click. Ideally, the tow vehicle will weigh the same as when towing (the continued usefulness of the three pass scale tickets).

The "penalty" with an AS ought to be 40% or less. (An SOB 40% or higher). It can trend down to 30%. The actual number is pretty well set by the TV specification. The question is whether one can achieve it by operating skill.

This exercise highlights both real and potential problems. Weak links, so to speak, as to best mpg.

In both cases -- annual fuel bill, and in towing mpg -- it is in percentage improvements that the game is played. Thus, records, better habits (by planning and in applied skill) and verification of optimum mechanical settings are where the gains are found for a given towing combination.

As the typical family RV'er travels about 5000-miles per year, you can see how I won "free" fuel for vacation travel.

As contributor Robert Cross notes, being meticulous about scale readings for setting the WDH reveals the true range of adjustments. It is narrow. Small. Same for TV tire pressure. And it is then an annual matter of checking the rig on the scale to be well set for the rest of ones vacation season.

This two-pronged approach (safe handling/braking + highest fuel economy) is complementary. Bad handling/braking or reduced fuel economy is an alert to investigate.

What's my towing economy? I searched and found a dozen others using HPCR Cummins trucks pulling 7-11k lb aero aluminum trailers of 28-34' length in the South Central US where, at speeds of 65-mph or less, the range was from 14-16/mpg. Mine fell within that with my 33' and 35' Silver Streaks. The goal is now 17-mpg on that terrain.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:02 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
About 13-14 mpg. Disappointing.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #66
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What's your towing MPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
About 13-14 mpg. Disappointing.

Why would you be disappointed in that? It seems QUITE respectable to me.

There is only so much fuel content in a gallon of gasoline, and you are pushing a fairly large bubble of air with your rig even though it is only a 20 footer.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
Averaged 20MPG with a 2014 RAM Ecodiesel towing a 26' Argosy from New Mexico to Washington state and back. We had no water tank, so we were light. This was according to the truck's computer and our calculations verified it. I cannot speak to specific terrains.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Virginia Beach , Virginia
25-ft EB last fall with Titan - 8700 miles VA to Co to UT to WY to BC and back to VA lot of high mountain passes - 10.5mpg.....just traded in for a 2016 Chevy 2500 Diesel....Hopefully will jump up to 15 to 18mpg on upcoming trip.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
I got 15.5 mpg towing my 31' with my 2014 GMC v8 gas 2 wheel drive pick up from Barrie On to Berwick LA, this is avg on the truck read out .
Old 05-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #70
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What's your towing MPG?

The difference between 10 and 20 MPG in a 400 mile towing day at todays gas price is about $90 vs. $45....

Considering the number of days most people tow a year, is fuel mileage really a big deal?

Even as I stay in my trailer about half of the year, I doubt I tow my trailer 30 days a year, at an additional fuel cost of $1,250 a year.

That said, I tow too fast to ever get 20 mpg no matter what tow vehicle I could ever use. My savings would not be anything near that, and anyone towing slow enough to maybe get 20 MPG would get more than ten MPG with a less efficient tow vehicle.

A few miles a gallon matters a lot if a person is towing everyday, not so much in typical Airstream TV service.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote