Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2015, 11:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
What's in the bed of your truck? Pics, please.

We're making the transaction from 44' diesel pusher moho to 3/4 ton pickup and Airstream 30' trailer.

So far, I'm planning for the Honda i2000 generator, a gas container, a couple of camp chairs, and a camp table to ride in the bed of the truck. But I'm sure there will be some other items I haven't even thought of yet.

What do you carry in your truck bed? Pics would be awesome. Thank you.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:14 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What's in the bed of your truck? Pics, please.

Toolboxes. Cast iron cookware. Camp stove, jerry cans for water. Bottle jacks. Pressure treat wood, about 30' of 10 X on which to level and park TT. BBQ grill and all supplies for it. Spare parts and emergency gear. Hoses and electrical cord (well over 100' of each of type to run trailer). Long handle brooms and brushes. Truck and TT cleaning chems. Hitch components (not just for this trailer). Shovels, sledge hammer, transport chains, etc. Big air compressor. All the dirty and heavy stuff appropriate to full timing. With cab height bed topper, just over 1000-lbs. stored mainly in tubs on plastic bed liner. (Would rather have product called Bed Rug).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Slow mover you got it right.. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
last week ,, a couple of dead bodies.. JK

right now its recycling stuff, cardboard boxes, scrap metal off jobs etc.

going to put a 36 gal auxiliary fuel tank in front of bed, carpet cleaning portable, tools, travel grill, chocks etc..

be fun to see what other are hauling. I have a fiberglass cover on mine.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
that not much head room for trailer and people.. this must be a 3500 DRW dodge eh....

got a picture of this backend. ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Toolboxes. Cast iron cookware. Camp stove, jerry cans for water. Bottle jacks. Pressure treat wood, about 30' of 10 X on which to level and park TT. BBQ grill and all supplies for it. Spare parts and emergency gear. Hoses and electrical cord (well over 100' of each of type to run trailer). Long handle brooms and brushes. Truck and TT cleaning chems. Hitch components (not just for this trailer). Shovels, sledge hammer, transport chains, etc. Big air compressor. All the dirty and heavy stuff appropriate to full timing. With cab height bed topper, just over 1000-lbs. stored mainly in tubs on plastic bed liner. (Would rather have product called Bed Rug).
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Kept it simple

I do not carry much, propane grill(won't fit in AS outside storage), 2 ZipDee chairs, wheel chocks, outside mat, and sometimes a Yamaha 2k generator(propane). Inside the truck I carry a small amount of tools and my VIAIR compressor. I drive a 1/2 ton and do not see the need to buy a bigger truck as my capacity requirements are obviously small.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Folding bikes, propane bar-b-q, and folding table for it, flag poles, porch mat, kayak paddles, small ladder, all on a Bed Rug. On top of the cover, two kayaks.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
For the last six years on our annual 6-7 month cross-country tour to winter destinations: Airstream power cord, water and Sewer Solution hoses, chocks and blocks, water softener, flagpole (painter's extension rod), two lawn chairs, short aluminum step-ladder, two plastic storage boxes to catch Airstream interior clutter until a trip to Goodwill to donate it.

A fabric tonneau covers it. No longer carry our Honda generator and its gas can, Airstream has enough solar and battery to get along (nice quiet effortless traveling companion, this may be our next upgrade).

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
TonyG

2015 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Just took delivery of our 2015 Classic. We found that we could transfer everything we previously had in our 32' Montana Fifth Wheel into our new trailer. Airstream has done a great job of engineering and and organizing the many storage areas in the Classic.
In the back of the truck (Ford F-350) we built a storage container for the bed front section with three compartments to hold two Honda 2000 Propane converted generators and a toolbox in the 3rd compartment. Normally we will travel with just one generator to occasionally power misc appliances and/or extend TV operation time if extended beyond what the solar panel recharged batteries can handle. We will bring along the 2nd generator if we anticipate needing to run the A/Cs.
Only other items in the truck bed will be a Tailgater and a Propane Grill housed in custom containers. This will leave enough room for a water bladder to replenish the water supply as we do mostly dry-camping.

Tony
TonyGuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm height restricted due to my BakFlip VP tonneau cover. I usually carry two folding recliner chairs. I have to lay them flat on each other and they take up too much space but the DW likes them too much. Patio mat, 200 watt portable solar panel, inflatable kayak, bag with PVDs, 2 inflatable seats, pumps, oars, two plastic bins, one with Lynx blocks, some short pieces of 2x6, small ax, shore power protector and sewer hose support slinky, 2nd bin has a pieces of green outdoor carpet for the solar panel and electric water pump to pump water out of water containers. O'Grill BBQ, 5lb propane bottle and small bin with BBQ accessories. Small plastic folding table, larger aluminum table that folds into a bag, small toolbox and a bag with my portable impact and drill. 3 gal rigid water container and 2 collapsible 5 gal water containers.

In my rear slide out tray on our Airstream Classic: 2 water hoses, two 30 amp electric cables for shore power, sewer hose extension, couple of plastic bags with water hose adapters and electrical adapters, water filter, awning rod, plastic chocks, TV coax cable.

2010 Tundra 5.7L SR5 Double Cab, 2x4, 6 1/2' bed.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We do something a little different. Our tow vehicle is a one ton long bed. In the bed we carry the usual tools and extra clothes, etc. We also carry and extra bedroom, bath and refrigerator/freezer.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7069.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	239450  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Just campfire wood and a big ole cheater bar-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
For the last six years on our annual 6-7 month cross-country tour to winter destinations: Airstream power cord, water and Sewer Solution hoses, chocks and blocks, water softener, flagpole (painter's extension rod), two lawn chairs, short aluminum step-ladder, two plastic storage boxes to catch Airstream interior clutter until a trip to Goodwill to donate it.

A fabric tonneau covers it. No longer carry our Honda generator and its gas can, Airstream has enough solar and battery to get along (nice quiet effortless traveling companion, this may be our next upgrade).

cheryl
All that stuff is in my Airstream. Water hose in the water connection compartment (maybe only Classics have this?). Shore cord is in the storage at the back of the trailer that goes under the bed. 1 section of sewer hose is in the rear bumper storage. 1 section of sewer hose is in the sewer hose storage tube under the front of the trailer. Lawn chairs (Zip Dee) are in their little cabinet to the right of the entry door (maybe this is a Classic only thing?). Chocks are in the storage on the street side under the dinette bench. Flags are under the bed.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Short hose for black tank flush is in water compartment. Long hose for city water connection is in the rear storage under the bed.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
One Rambox dedicated to holding a toolbox, breakerbar with wheel socket attached, fire extinguisher, tire repair kit and onboard air. Second Rambox dedicated to cleaning supplies and spare fluids, paper towels. Both Ramboxes have empty space for come and go storage, like coats or dirty boots or dirty diapers while traveling between trash can stops. Should mention I keep my fishing poles and tackle in there too.

So the bed is a little different from this picture. We had 4 ~ 5 gallon Nato gas can's but I brought them with me to NY to give 2 to family. Replacing with two empty 5 gallon water jugs. They stay empty until needed when boondocking.

Honda 2000i, 158pc Craftsman Mechanics toolbox, two storage boxes (we keep winter coats, hiking shoes, backpacks, camelbaks, climbing gear in the two storage containers. They don't weight much actually.

Stroller, and ladder underneath stroller.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Wow lots of stuff in some rigs!

I don't think 2 2000watt Honda generators will run a/c'S

I have a roller bed in my pickup with grill, chairs and some incidentals.
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
2500 HD Silverado with cab height Century topper. Coleman cordura wheeled carrier with two burner Coleman stove, Weber Q grill. 20 pound propane tank for the previous with connection hoses. A couple of Strongback chairs, and occasionally a couple of Lafuma chairs. Two folding tables. Occasionally a Coleman canopy. Extra potable water hose and connections in container. Extra sewer hose, doughnut and gloves in container. Blueboy when needed. Tool box with bottle jack, hand tools, folding shovel, hatchet, hitch parts, electrical parts, emergency road kit with small compressor. Yamaha 2400 inverter/generator when needed. 32' of foldable 4' high fencing for dogs. Outdoor rug for under awning. Flyfishing and bushcrafting stuff. All sitting on a bed slide. 15 foot canoe riding on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	239457  
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #18
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
chain & locks

Heavy duty chain and locks for that Honda 2000.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have begun reducing what I carry depending on the location, however, I always carry one Honda 2000, gas for the generator, a large air compressor, grill and charcoal, one lounge chair maybe 2 at most, an outdor rug, screen room and my fire in a can along with propane.
I also carry some miscellaneous tools, the power cord and an outdoor extension cord.

If you have not bought a top for the truck bed think about getting the tall one and not the one that lays level with the top of the Bed. I wish I had then I could have carried our bikes in there
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

patterson , Louisiana
Posted a pic of my truck bed with all the "stuff" that lives there in the "Cover or not to cover" thread yesterday. Includes a Honda genset, hitch box, tool box, floor jack, battery charger, bar b q , compressor, blocks and the like.
CCC
carmelo is offline   Reply With Quote