Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Woodlands , Texas
Whats best tv for 31' 5000# as?

Help me out guys. There are so many choices in tow vehicles and you can spend days looking for charts on the internet. I'm retiring soon, going fulltime, gonna see America in our AS. What do you think is the best tow vehicle for TV? I plan to get the AS first but I'd really like to get some ideas on a 4-5 year old TV. Would like an SUV TV to store gear inside. Any of them have enough towing capacity?
aaastircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
when you look at a TV always add 2000 to 2500 pounds to the weight of a trailer for personal items such as cloths, food, chairs, dishes, etc.
So if your trailer weighs in at 5000 add 2500 then add 500 just for safe margin now you are looking at 8000 LBS and your TV should be able to handle that kind of load which is going to put you into a 3/4 ton vehicle, (Chev/GMC 2500, Dodge 2500, Ford F250). I would say given that you want a TV that is 4-5 years old look for a suburban (full size) or look at a Ford Excursion diesel, I suggest on the ford a diesel because the gas only gets 10 mpg loaded or empty and the diesel does much better. I have one and I am completely happy with the 15 mpg towing and 18-20 general driving.
Another thing you want to consider is the push/sway issue, which means the TV should be heavy enough to handle the weight that trailer will place on the TV because of sway, stopping, turns, sudden lane changes, etc. This is why the 3/4 ton handles much better than a smaller vehicle can.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle.

I would also recommend a 3/4 ton tow vehicle for a late model 31' Airstream. An AS of this size ready to go traveling is going to weigh out somewhere 8000# with around an 800# tongue weight.

There are only two 3/4 ton SUV's, the Chevrolet Suburban 2500/GMC Yukon XL 2500 (these are the same vehicle) and the Ford Excursion. This vehicle was discontinued after 2007. There are plenty of good used models of these vehicle out there.

If you shop for a Suburban, be aware that a Suburban 1500 (1/2 ton) looks just like a 2500 from the outside. The power plant and chassis are very different. The quickest way to confirm that you are looking at a 3/4 ton Suburban is to check the wheels. All 2500's have 8 lug nut wheels. Half tons have 6 lug nuts. All Ford Excursions are 3/4 ton. Excursions are available with both a gasoline and a diesel engine.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I use a Ford Excursion V10 2wd (gas) to tow my 31. It is absolutely terrific for this. I get between 12 and 14 mpg towing highway, and 16-18 not towing highway. 12+ is average in town.
It has gobs of room, is very comfortable, cost less to run than a diesel (I know I had one before this) and can be found used at reasonable pricing. Mine has 126000 miles on it now and seems to me to ride and drive like a new one.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
We use a Burb 2500 too for our 4,500 lb. Overlander, which is overkill, since our dishes, food, clothes, etc. probably weigh in at closer to 100 lbs, if that. Not really sure what you could possibly bring aboard that would weigh a ton or more, unless you're hauling several motorcycles, a full water tank, and a piano. At any rate- you will not be disappointed with the stability, and engineered towing capability of the 3/4 ton. A friend of mine literally melted the gears in a 1/2-ton Suburban, towing a 26' Avion up a grade in the Rockies. (no tranny cooler, his bad) A diesel will out-perform a gas engine, but my 350 gasser does OK. Good luck.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I also recommend a 2500 or 3/4 ton any brand. As you can see we use a 1 ton but that was only because we had the 1 ton Longbed ,crewcab before the airstream. It was purchased for the purpose of hauling a heavy trailer and a bobcat or tractor backhoe. However it has served us well so far. We only have trucks,no cars. So this is our daily driver which gets 14mpg around town and 20 mpg on the highway and 16 towing. We use a Reese StraightLine hitch with 550 lbs bars which takes care of the sway issues. The diesel is really not hard to take care of and will give you maybe as much as 1/4 million miles of service. If you resign yourself to the longevity of the vehicle and the comfort and saftey of that vehicle, you will never hear that desiel engine after the first 5000 miles. I believe that DuraMax(GM) or FORD desiels will give you everything one could desire in a TV. This is personal opinion and choise after yrs of experience with desiels.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Whats best tv for 31' 5000# as?

Greetings aaastircrazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaastircrazy View Post
Help me out guys. There are so many choices in tow vehicles and you can spend days looking for charts on the internet. I'm retiring soon, going fulltime, gonna see America in our AS. What do you think is the best tow vehicle for TV? I plan to get the AS first but I'd really like to get some ideas on a 4-5 year old TV. Would like an SUV TV to store gear inside. Any of them have enough towing capacity?

Something to keep in mind, a 30' or 31' Airstream produced between 1960 and 1968 is going to have an empty or dry weight of 4,500 pounds +/-. Between 1969 and 1980, the empty or dry weight is going to be closer to 5,000 pounds. The dry weight is the base model coach without any options or fluids on board. See the attached file containing the weights and measures for Airstream coaches. Some items not included in the base weight that are included on most Airstream coaches of this era would include:
  • Upgraded LP Tanks -- the standard tanks were usually 20 pound, but most original purchasers upgraded to either 30 or 40 pound tanks.
  • Curbside Patio Awning -- most coaches of this era have acquired a curbside patio awning during their lives, and this was an option or dealer installed accessory for most (if not all coaches) of this time period.
  • Air Conditioner -- while it may seem that this was standard (and it may have been on the later coaches), it was a factory option at least during the 1960s and much of the 1970s.
  • Spare Tire, Wheel and Carrier -- the spare tire and carrier were options or dealer installed accessories that were not included in the base weight.
Sources of additional weight would include:
  • Water in Fresh Water Tank: 40 gallons X 8.35 pounds/gallon = 334 pounds. Airstreams during this era were designed with the idea that the fresh water tank would be full when traveling -- it influences the center of gravity and hitch weight. I know that it make a tremendous stability difference with both my Overlander and Minuet in regard to towing.
  • Water in Water Heater: 10 gallons X 8.35 pounds/gallen = 83.5 pounds. Most longer trailers of this era were equipped with 10 gallon water heaters, but quite often these were replaced with 6 gallon tanks when the original tank needed replacement.
  • Propane (Assuming Two 30 Pound Tanks): (7.1 gallons X 2) X 4.24 pounds/gallon = 60.3 pounds.
  • Waste Tanks: The contents in the waste tank(s) should be dumped prior to travel as traveling with contents can provide stresses that result in rear end separation and/or frame droop/sag (both of these are a more pronounced problem with the longer coaches of this era).
Just for fluids, it doesn't take too long to build up some weight:
334 pounds (Fresh Water) + 83.5 pounds (Water in Water Heater) + 60.3 pounds (LP in LP Tanks) = 477.8 pounds.
To the above rather predictable weights, you also need to consider weights of anything else that is placed in the coach such as:
  • Provisions: anything carried inside of the refrigerator or in the pantry.
  • Cooking Utensils: the posts, pans, dutch ovens, and cutlery carried in the galley -- quality cooking utensils can add weight quicker than one might think.
  • Upgraded Mattresses: this is an area that is addressed by many owners of coaches of this era -- the upgraded mattresses in my Overlander added nearly 125 pounds.
  • Upgraded Floor Coverings: quite often owners of coaches of this era change out the typical carpet and go with either laminate or vinyl tile floors. In my Overlander, the required underlayment and materials for my vinyl tile floor added close to 100 pounds while the laminate floors in my Minuet added close to 125 pounds.
  • Clothing: this can be a significant consideration for full-timers. When I pack for a 6-week trip, I can easily pack 60+ pounds in clothing articles.
  • Camp Set-Up Accessories: this can include a wide variety of items such as:
    • Folding Chairs for yourself and guests.
    • Ground Blanket defines patio area and limits dirt and grime carried into coach.
    • Camp Grill and/or Camp Stove (I just added one of these to my usual list of accessories and the package is about 50 pounds.)
    • Folding Table(s) for outside dining and/or relaxing.
    • Electrical Extension Cords (Since I frequently attend rallys or participate in caravans, my usual practice is to pack 100' of RV extension cord -- and they are rather heavy (my estimate about 50 pounds)
    • Fresh Water Hoses -- while not exceptionally heavy, the weight does addon (again, since I often participate in Rallys or go caravanning, my practice is to pack 200' of RV fresh water hoses)
    • Computer and Electronics Equipment -- it seems that it doesn't take long to get some weight from things such as computer equipment, stereo equipment, etc.
    • Reading and Reference Materials -- this can be an inconsequential weight difference or a large difference depending upon personal preferences. For open houses at rallys, I carry my Vintage Airstream and Argosy literature collection which approaches 60 pounds, and this is nearly always in my coach as it is unusual for one of my excursions to not include at least one Rally.
With my '64 Overlander (26'), my experience has been that its dry weight including factory options and permanently installed accessories is 4,650 pounds (factory base: 3,930). For a six week expedition, my coach's wet weigh approaches 6,000 pounds with a 725+ pound hitch weight.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf weights-1.pdf (100.7 KB, 52 views)
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Load Weight VS Dry Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
We use a Burb 2500 too for our 4,500 lb. Overlander, which is overkill, since our dishes, food, clothes, etc. probably weigh in at closer to 100 lbs, if that. Not really sure what you could possibly bring aboard that would weigh a ton or more, unless you're hauling several motorcycles, a full water tank, and a piano. At any rate- you will not be disappointed with the stability, and engineered towing capability of the 3/4 ton. A friend of mine literally melted the gears in a 1/2-ton Suburban, towing a 26' Avion up a grade in the Rockies. (no tranny cooler, his bad) A diesel will out-perform a gas engine, but my 350 gasser does OK. Good luck.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX
I believe that you should take everything out of your trailer, food, dishes, cloths, camp equip, bedding, hoses, remove propane tanks, drain all water, etc. Scale your trailer then add everything back to it just like you are going camping for 1 week. I think that you will be very surprised that you added more than 100 lbs to the weight of the trailer, in fact you might find yourself much closer to that 2000 lbs I mentioned.
See Overlanders post to see weights of things carried.

Sarge
Old 07-18-2009, 05:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
One thing that most people dont know is that weight placed on the tag by the factory is what the trailer weighs before anything is added after factory equipment. Overlander64 said it real good in his post on weights.
Things individually really dont weigh much when looking at them, but when placed together it will really surprise you just how quick it adds up. This is what causes many people trouble with TV and in towing because they dont allow for the additional weight.
I was at a trailer sales the other day and overheard a man and woman talking about a camper they was considering on buying and was looking at that weight on the tag and talking about their vehicle that they was going to tow it with, and before I knew it I had stuck my 2 cents in and the salesman freind of mine came over and I heard what I was telling them, he not only verified what I was saying but told them that they would not sell a trailer to someone without a proper tow vehicle because of liability issues.
what everone including me is telling you is not to discourage you, but to help make sure you are safe and enjoy your travel.
On the diesel vs gas- gas engines 100-200,000 miles, diesel 500,000+, more power for towing. fuel costs are not that much different really when you consider all, if you dont believe me and others here, find some persons that has a 3/4 gas and a 3/4 diesel ask them to hook to your trailer and take it for a ride on flat, hills, and you will see the difference.

Sarge
Old 07-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #10
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Previous owner of our 85 31' used an Oldsmobile followed by two 1/2 ton Suburbans over the course of about 16-18 years.
He said you had to be patient sometimes, but the trade off was worth it for him. We use a 1500hd, which GM made for a couple of years and other than being a
Nuisance to park and getting only 14-15 mpg unloaded, have no complaints. Last trip was 1600 miles and aveaged 11.5 mpg.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX
I believe that you should take everything out of your trailer, food, dishes, cloths, camp equip, bedding, hoses, remove propane tanks, drain all water, etc. Scale your trailer then add everything back to it just like you are going camping for 1 week. I think that you will be very surprised that you added more than 100 lbs to the weight of the trailer, in fact you might find yourself much closer to that 2000 lbs I mentioned.
See Overlanders post to see weights of things carried.

Sarge
2000LBS! You must be carrying a lot of canned goods.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
A diesel Excursion is a great tow vehicle and can carry lots of people and/or pets. Of course, I'm biased, but the only other combo I'd go for is a 6-pack, diesel pickup truck. The flat bed would be good for hauling generators and other "stuff."

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
2000LBS! You must be carrying a lot of canned goods.
You think in only 2 dimentions, you & yourself?
We only carry the normal food & utensels needs for 5 +2, parashibles are purchased on arrival, but you also have camp stove, chairs for 5 plus 2 extra for guests, all necessities to make camp stay comfortable for us and anyone who drops by.

Sarge
Old 07-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
The truck-scale weight of my Overlander, with curbside awning, 2 filled bbq-grill-size propane tanks, 6 gallons of water probably in the water heater, pergo flooring, 2 small folding tables, a small convection-toaster pven, all pots and pans and utensils, all bedding, tools, waterhoses, slinky, etc., and empty water tanks, is 4,380 ibs. When we (just my wife and I) camp for a couple weeks, we add to the trailer: roughly 20# of clothing, 30# of food and drinks (we have the small, International-size fridge), a 4# radio-stereo, 8# of various shoes, that's about it. In the Burb, we have 2 bikes with associated gear (about 40# total), 2 folding chairs (8#), the solar panel (30#), and other miscellaneous junk of maybe 20#. That totals up to 160#. I don't know which is more typical, that amount of stuff, or 2,000# of it, but I agree that you definitely want to figure this out when deciding on a tow vehicle. You can't go wrong with the 3/4 ton in your case, and a 1/2 ton, even with 4.11 differential (if available) and auxilliary transmission cooler, would not be my choice for a 31-footer. Good luck!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
It's nice to have a pickup truck to throw large or dirty items in the bed. A crew cab can carry passengers or dogs just like an SUV. For a 31 foot trailer I'd go with a 3/4 ton. 5000 pounds is not the gross weight. Also consider passengers, cargo and fuel.

If you decide to go diesel, the true inline 6 Cummins has far fewer moving parts than the other diesels. Less moving parts, less maintenance, more efficiency. There's a lot of information out there if you want to read up on I6.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote