Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #253
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 763
Images: 7
Our 2013 Dodge RAM 1500 Outdoorsman 5.7L Hemi has towed our 2013 International 19 6000 miles over the past 5 months.

The RAM has plenty of power and can handle anything in the Cascades or Rockies. It will climb very steep grades at 65mph.....if you want to pay for the gas. Averages 12.5 mpg towing and gets 20 mpg highway w/o trailer.

So far...so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shanika-OR-Hotel-web-1280-vh.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	197707  
__________________

__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #254
Rivet Master
 
Howard L.'s Avatar

 
2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 554
Pull a 2012 30 Flying Cloud with a 2012 Chevy 2500 4/4 crew cab 6.6 Duramax diesel. I'm on old, old, old Navy fighter pilot, so to me there is never any such thing as too much power. I have to check the rear view mirror to be sure the Airstream is still there

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2590069866.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	550.6 KB
ID:	197713
__________________

__________________
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #255
3 Rivet Member
 
monkeypants's Avatar
 
2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 162
Images: 1
Silverado 2500 duramax

100_3808.jpg
Assateague, just before the shutdown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3808.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	197757  
__________________
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #256
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10,802
Images: 1
Thumbs up

They can tow something other than an Airstream.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09190.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	197758  
__________________
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"


So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #257
Rivet Master
 
Howard L.'s Avatar

 
2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
They can tow something other than an Airstream.

Bob
Bob, tell me that's not yours! Is that one a 6 speed? You're going to kill yourself going that fast.
__________________
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #258
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10,802
Images: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Bob, tell me that's not yours! Is that one a 6 speed? You're going to kill yourself going that fast.
YEP......6 in a vee. 2004 Mercury Performance 225X Pro Max, 2.5ltr, 245hp at the prop on the dyno.

DW & I LOVE it......no wrinkles at 80knts.





Bob
__________________
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"


So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #259
Rivet Master
 
Howard L.'s Avatar

 
2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

YEP......6 in a vee. 2004 Mercury Performance 225X Pro Max, 2.5ltr, 245hp at the prop on the dyno.

DW & I LOVE it......no wrinkles at 80knts.



Bob
Oh yes, I know that picture. Lived in Buffalo many years--scuba dive the Niagara river many years. Daughter still lives there. Will give a shout next trip up to visit
__________________
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #260
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,239
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
YEP......6 in a vee. 2004 Mercury Performance 225X Pro Max, 2.5ltr, 245hp at the prop on the dyno.

DW & I LOVE it......no wrinkles at 80knts.





Bob
Hi, [not a boat person] how do you dyno a prop? Pictures?
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #261
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10,802
Images: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, [not a boat person] how do you dyno a prop? Pictures?
The PO had the motor pulled, not clear exactly what the dyno looks like, but the connection is the prop shaft, no prop. I guess it's like doing a pull at the crank instead of the wheels.



All I'm sure of, it goes like stink...

Bob
__________________
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"


So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #262
2 Rivet Member
 
28Argosy's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 49
A Chevy Express Extended cargo van.
__________________
1976 Argosy 28'
28Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #263
Rivet Master
 
andreasduess's Avatar
 
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,432
Images: 5
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Argosy View Post
A Chevy Express Extended cargo van.

That's a really interesting choice. I am planning on taking our family across the continent sometime in the next years, taking a couple of months off work, and I keep coming back to a van as the ideal vehicle to do it with.

Ample seating, protected storage, powerful engines. I bet you could even put a bunk in the back if needed.
__________________
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #264
3 Rivet Member
 
jspafford's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 102
Ah, yes, a full sized van, the tow vehicle that all other tow vehicles aspire to be. Used vans are cheap, and many were previously used as Vanpool vehicles - fleet maintained, freeway used, never used as tow vehicles. In 2009 we bought our used 2005 12 passenger Express with 46,000 miles for $13,000.

They are adaptable in so many ways - with all the seats in you can bring the Scout Patrol along, the preschool class to the zoo, the whole family to grandpa's birthday party in Azusa or the church group and their luggage on the mission trip. With the seats out you can haul a load of plywood and 10' 2x4's, and cement bags, your tools and your helper. With one bench seat in you are ready for camping: you and your companion in the front seats with excellent visibility, the dog(s) on the second seat messing up the window with their noses, the generator, camping gear, grill, outdoor rug, camp chairs and firewood in the back - and plenty of room left over for the ugly chair your wife wants to buy at the antique store you found. All the gear is secure in the back - you don't have to use a cover as you would with a pickup.

Our van is not a daily driver - we use it for Airstream outings and special events. It should last a long time and be a useful part of our adventures and family life.
__________________
John and Lynn,
Silvia ('06 25' Safari SE FB) and Silvester ('05 Chevy Express 3500)
jspafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #265
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspafford View Post
Ah, yes, a full sized van, the tow vehicle that all other tow vehicles aspire to be. Used vans are cheap, and many were previously used as Vanpool vehicles - fleet maintained, freeway used, never used as tow vehicles. In 2009 we bought our used 2005 12 passenger Express with 46,000 miles for $13,000.

They are adaptable in so many ways - with all the seats in you can bring the Scout Patrol along, the preschool class to the zoo, the whole family to grandpa's birthday party in Azusa or the church group and their luggage on the mission trip. With the seats out you can haul a load of plywood and 10' 2x4's, and cement bags, your tools and your helper. With one bench seat in you are ready for camping: you and your companion in the front seats with excellent visibility, the dog(s) on the second seat messing up the window with their noses, the generator, camping gear, grill, outdoor rug, camp chairs and firewood in the back - and plenty of room left over for the ugly chair your wife wants to buy at the antique store you found. All the gear is secure in the back - you don't have to use a cover as you would with a pickup.

Our van is not a daily driver - we use it for Airstream outings and special events. It should last a long time and be a useful part of our adventures and family life.
I loved this. I was waiting for a shoe to drop but it never happened! Brilliant!

:-)
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #266
Rivet Master
 
Denis4x4's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,093
This is a 2013 Grand Cherokee with the hemi and factory tow package. Can't tell you how happy we are to use a real car instead of a truck for towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	197830   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0702.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	197831  

__________________

__________________
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.