Old 04-26-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
What would you do?

I have a 1991 F150 that has an engine that is getting progressively tired but is in good shape otherwise that I use as my daily driver and TV for a 1968 Trade Wind (24 ft). I want a power stroke diesel to replace it, but that is not an option in the short term, say the next year or so. So my options seem to be to either buy a beater and hope for a years service out of it or to put in a rebuilt engine. I can get a complete rebuilt for $1,250, a guarantee for $140, and installation for $500. So for $2,000ish I can have a tow vehicle that should hold up until the PSD is an option, on the other hand, the extra oomph and heavier chassis of a F250 would also be nice…..any thoughts? Bear in mind that I do not have unlimited resources to thow into to this.....
Thanks

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:58 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
The $2k doesn't sound too bad, considering what any other vehicle that would be even slightly reliable would set you back. But I wouldn't invest that much unless you were going to keep it a while. What engine do you have in the F150? We have a 95 E150 with the 351 and it's getting up there as well. I'd like to replace it with a brand new E150 someday, but like you, money is always the limiting factor..

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
......What engine do you have in the F150? We have a 95 E150 with the 351 and it's getting up there as well. I'd like to replace it with a brand new E150 someday.......
It is a 302

and the
My Blog

Old 04-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
If the truck is in otherwise safe and sound condition a $2,000 investment is not unreasonable. You already know what you have versus buying another vehicle where the whole unit is an unknown. Also, the rebuilt engine should increase the resale value when you are done with it. Should that one year out for the replacement vehicle turn into a longer period of time you will continue to benefit from the rebuilt engine. Your other option is to just keep driving it till it dies and then put the rebuilt engine in, or it could survive if driven judicously for the time you still need it. If this were my vehicle I'd do the rebuilt just so I know I had a dependable vehicle, and hope to recoup a portion of that cost in the resale or trade in. Barry
Old 04-26-2006, 05:50 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We figure every new car we've ever bought (new to us, anyway, they're always used) has cost us at least $1k in repairs right away. Even our E150 had a thousand in repairs because of a brake computer and a problem with the gas filler tube. So if you consider the cost of any replacement and whatever repairs it will need after you get it, the $2k sounds pretty good.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Sounds like a good price if it will give you two more years. Are you sure the trans will hold up, do the brake lines need to be replaced soon, brakes, ect. If some of this has been done and / or you know they will be OK sounds good. I'ld really want to be sure the tranny isn't part of the getting old.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I have a 1991 F150 that has an engine that is getting progressively tired but is in good shape otherwise that I use as my daily driver and TV for a 1968 Trade Wind (24 ft). I want a power stroke diesel to replace it, but that is not an option in the short term, say the next year or so. So my options seem to be to either buy a beater and hope for a years service out of it or to put in a rebuilt engine. I can get a complete rebuilt for $1,250, a guarantee for $140, and installation for $500. So for $2,000ish I can have a tow vehicle that should hold up until the PSD is an option, on the other hand, the extra oomph and heavier chassis of a F250 would also be nice…..any thoughts? Bear in mind that I do not have unlimited resources to thow into to this.....
Thanks
Rodney, a local dealer here has a 1986 F250, with a 6.9, normally aspirated diesel, no rust, automatic transmission, and TWO over/underdrive units. Also has A/C, Tilt wheel, cruise control, power windows, reman engine, new tires, etc... He wants $4000, probably would take less.
If you would be interested in this thing, let me know, I can email you some pictures, and I am sure he would love to sell it.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Rodney, a local dealer here has a 1986 F250, with a 6.9, normally aspirated diesel, no rust, automatic transmission, and TWO over/underdrive units. Also has A/C, Tilt wheel, cruise control, power windows, reman engine, new tires, etc... He wants $4000, probably would take less.
If you would be interested in this thing, let me know, I can email you some pictures, and I am sure he would love to sell it.
What the heck is it doing with 2 OD/UD units? that is an odd animal. Those 6.9 were a strong motor. We have an old cement mixer that has a 4over5 with a 2sp rear end in it...nothing like 40 forward gears to play with

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Detroit , Michigan
miles?

Quote:
Rodney, a local dealer here has a 1986 F250, with a 6.9, normally aspirated diesel,
How many miles are on the truck?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:32 AM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
I hate to admit it, but $4K is a stretch for me. On the other hand it wouldnt hurt to know more if it isnt to much of a bother for you...

On a second note: can anyone explain the significance of the over/underdrive set up? And what is the functional trade off in a normally aspirated vs turbo diesel? Mileage, power, or what?

Thanks

and the
My Blog

Old 04-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Two OD's?

Huh.... sounds like a heavy use truck if you ask me. I'd stay clear of that. Just because it's a diesel doesn't mean it hasn't seen some hard use. Remember what Steph said (and my own "used" experience as well), plan on $$ to get the truck to where you like it. You know your own beast well.

So Gen, what's "tired" about your motor? Blow-by, feels weak, etc? Our van has 110,000 miles on it, but it's still going strong (knock on wood). Does it just need a tune-up? Personally, unless it's knocking a death rattle, smoking terrible, or other symptom of doom, I wouldn't spend the money until I needed too. How much are you planning on towing in the next couple of years? Get a good towing contract (not to start that AAA debate, but I do have "RV" coverage for both the TV and the trailer. It'll tow us 100 miles.... and trust me, I've gotten my use out of it with other vehicles!!) as your piece of mind for much cheaper than a rebuild.

I've seen (cheap) rebuilts that gave just as much trouble as a older engine. I wouldn't toss your motor yet, until you really know if something is wrong with it.
Marc
Old 04-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
It has progessively lost power and and is starting to use oil. It is well maintained and it is not a tune-up issue. I have consulted with several "motor heads" and mechanics and while the fixes they suggest vary they all say basically the same thing: the engine is pretty much worn out (esp for towing) and I should expect trouble if I keep pushing it. The motor I am looking at is a rebuild by a reputable company (infact the same one who rebuilt the engine I put in another truck 15 years ago). Your points are well taken, however, the not doing anything option is one with alot of risks and not one that is appealing to me.

and the
My Blog

Old 04-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
ah ha....

then yes, I'd replace the motor too. I'd forget about another vehicle, as long as your tranny is good. I also agree, resell should be a bit better too - save the receipts for proof!
Good luck - tell us what you do!
Marc
Old 04-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I've often put rebuilt engines in vehicles to extend the useful life and yes, some other things then go away, but that's just normal useage and can be dealt with one at a time as they happen. It sounds as though you've maintained your truck well and it's just worn out. A quality rebuild can get you over the hump and as you note it does come with a warranty. There certainly can be excellent optional vehicles for sale as replacements that would also give you long service life but the time and cost to check them out may not justify the added stress. Of course this from a guy who leaves the new truck in the garage when he goes towing and uses a 1957 pontiac (with upgraded powertrain) so I may be just a tad prejudiced. And I do have the AAA equivalent extended RV towing insurance and because I have it I've seldom needed it. Where's that wood to knock on....
Barry