Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
What would you buy???

This may be my only time to acquire a vehicle without replacing one. I'm about to buy a young, used 27FB. I travel alone, with my 47 lb Border Collie mix. I'll have an occasional girlfriend visit with me, probably a week at a time. The rest of the time, it's just Rowdy and me.

I don't carry a ton of clothing, or superfluous stuff.

I'm also not mechanical, so the last thing I want is a TT which requires me to tinker. I'm not too limited by the cost of acquiring a good TT, without going too wild with $$.

My mode of travel will probably be to find a spot, and stay there between a week, and a month, and then move on....so, while I'm in a spot, my TT becomes my local transportation. Therefore, I'd probably not want something gigantic, cumbersome, and difficult to maneuver.

I was hoping the RAM EcoDiesel would have better towing numbers...i've also been considering the Ford F-150 EcoBoost. I'm open to all suggestions.

Please tell me what you'd buy, and why. BTW, I have until early Aug to make this purchase.

Thanks,
Richard
rlandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We have owned 2 25' airstreams and a Casita over past 7 years...we just purchased a new 25' Flying Cloud and pick up end of this month. For us, 25' is perfect size, but 27' does give you a bit more storage and microwave. (newer models) We pull with a 2012' Echoboost Platinum, short bed, SuperCab, 4x4 (not the "off road" model) and we love the ride when towing, and when just driving...it holds enough for us, including putting Kayaks on rack. For us, this is ideal all around.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Stockbridge , Georgia
Richard I'm absolutely in love with my Silverado. It's an 02 2500HD and I haven't had any trouble with it. It's the 8.1 . I'd be just as happy with a Suburban, but I'd want the big motor in it, too.

Twenty-seven feet is big enough to have a full size truck. I know a lot of people say they have good luck with the "big" Toyotas and Nissans, but in my opinion they aren't as good as a real full size. I've seen several of these trucks in trouble on the road with big trailers. Now, I like Dodge trucks though I'd never buy one, and I don't like Ford trucks, but all three have decent towing equipment and are a good choice. Buy the biggest truck you can afford and still do the job safely. Even with reduced mileage, you make up for it with a stronger trans, stiffer springs, and bigger brakes.

If you like Duramax get the latest one you can. They had some teething problems in the beginning and have gotten better with time. If you like gas get a big engine. They will cost a little more to operate but won't wear out as quick.

These are all my opinions and have worked well for me. Good luck with whatever you decide.
slantflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
We pull with a 2012' Echoboost Platinum, short bed, SuperCab, 4x4 (not the "off road" model) and we love the ride when towing, and when just driving...it holds enough for us, including putting Kayaks on rack. For us, this is ideal all around.
Thanks for your response. Your truck is just about what I was going to get, when I started reading about the Payload. For some reason, you cannot get the maximum payload with the Platinum edition of the F-150 Ecoboost. The most upscale version what has it available is the Lariat. Maybe I'm making too big a deal of Max Payload, and the numbers will work with what I'd be carrying.

regards,
R
Old 05-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantflat View Post
Now, I like Dodge trucks though I'd never buy one, and I don't like Ford trucks, but all three have decent towing equipment and are a good choice. Buy the biggest truck you can afford and still do the job safely. Even with reduced mileage, you make up for it with a stronger trans, stiffer springs, and bigger brakes.
I'm curious...if you like Dodge trucks, why would you never buy one? The only diesel I've ever owned was a 7.3 Excursion, which I wish I still had.

R
Old 05-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
F-250, Silverado 2500?

I have the 25 FB Eddie Bauer and moved from a 2500 Silverado diesel to the F-150 Ecoboost. It's fine. I really like the F-150 since it proved itself in record snow this winter.

Bigger than a 25 Airstream? I believe that is where I'd start looking for a 3/4 ton vehicle. It might be a bit "robust"... but you're a "Davy Crockett" - on a mountaintop in Tennessee. You'll appreciate the extra boost of a 3/4 tonner.

Paula
Old 05-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
25FB or 27FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Bigger than a 25 Airstream? I believe that is where I'd start looking for a 3/4 ton vehicle. It might be a bit "robust"... but you're a "Davy Crockett" - on a mountaintop in Tennessee. You'll appreciate the extra boost of a 3/4 tonner.

Paula
Davy Crockett here---F/Y/I, the weight numbers on the 25FB and the 27FB are just about the same...so if that Ecoboost works for yours, it should work for mine.
I might not have alloted for the weight of the CoonSkin Cap
Old 05-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Stockbridge , Georgia
Sorry Richard, sometimes I forget that in one-dimensional email my full meaning doesn't always come through.

I like how the Dodge looks and a friend of mine says his is real nice, but they are too expensive for what they are, I think, and I don't have a good dealer close by. And I like my Chevy too much to change.

That being said, I'm sure someone with a different opinion than mine would tow the hell out of a Dodge and not think twice.

And I agree. A smaller truck or a small block might tow an Airstream fine on the highway, but get up into the mountains and it might be a different story. Even Lucy and Desi had to trade up from a Mercury to a Lincoln when they were in the mountains. Sorry, couldn't resist.
slantflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Take a peek at the new (2015) Yukon/Tahoe. They've got a shorter wheelbase than the trucks you're looking at but have plenty of power/payload to handle the 27' trailer. Make sure to get the max trailering option as it changes the gearing.

This will also give you great drivability/milage while solo. The new ones are amazingly quiet and comfortable.
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Hey rlanddis, since you are mentioning the Ram diesel and the ecoboost that you are considering a new or almost new truck. Here are some ideas I have been toying with on trucks.

First, I too am single but travel with a cat, sometimes with family. I looked at different vehicles that can tow and decided that the pickup gave me the most options- most space- can add cap if desired, etc. Certainly if there were more people, I would consider an SUVish type TV. It just made sense.

The question of diesel is now a mute point to me. At the time I owned a new diesel car that I later sold. According to those that own diesel trucks and tow, they average at most, about 3mpg more than a later model gas TV avg. (12mpg) when towing. Consider that 2 mpg of the advantage will be eaten up by the additional fuel cost. The only real advantage diesel provides is longer fuel stability when stored and higher torque when needed. The latter can also be obtained with an ecoboost. The disadvantage other than fuel cost is higher purchase and maintenance costs.

I am waiting for the new 2015 F150 due this year. If you do not have that much time or are buying now, I would consider an F150 with ecoboost. The truck is comfortable, quiet and great for a daily driver. Current models with ecoboost have averaged 1 mpg more than my 4.6 3V HO (In '09 Ford offered two 4.6L engines- standard@248hp/293ftlb), HO@292hp/320ftlb) and a 5.4L@310hp/390ftlb). My guess is that the new truck will add another 1 mpg to that. I base that upon the overall 20% gain they report in mpg and the F150 forum fuel reports while towing. Regular mileage on mine is (calculated at pump) 14 in town and 21ish@70mph not towing. Current eco models are +1mpg in town, +2mpg hwy over mine. Again, these are NOT computer dash readouts as they are false but actual mileage by owners. The current model bests my truck in shear power while pulling off better mpg figures. I have also heard from eco owners towing that the 3.55 rear works well with the ecoboost for towing and driving. That would be the tow package rather than max tow. I am considering a new one with a super crew, eco and the 1700ish pound package. I am looking to add mileage and payload. I have shopped Tundras, Silverados and F150s so far.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
More on my experience...I went through a new 08' and then a new 11' Tahoe with first Airstream and could not keep up with my friends 150' Echoboost while trying to climb a 6% grade in Canada pulling the 25'. Remember, torque is the key here for pulling a trailer....Echoboost has 420 ft lbs and 360 HP, and you can get 20-22 MPH if you aren't heavy footed, when not pulling... After I purchased my 12' F150 Platinum new, I am totally satisfied...after I hit 50K miles last summer, I talked with the dealer about a new F250...he talked me out of it...said why pay for a diesel with all the extra costs of gas (at the time, $1/Gallon more then regular) and cost of oil changes vs gas....his suggestion was unless I was towing 10K + pound trailer or needed the bigger package for a 5th wheel, he thought the Echoboost was "best all around match with 6 speed, 3.5 rear end with tow package,and it is one of the best options out there"...I have to agree after 2 years and 58,000 miles...good economy without the trailer, lots of power, great ride. Platinum or Lariat...same truck underneath for the most part. Lariat with same equipment about $3,500-5K cheaper. My wife just liked the retractable stepping boards...that was it. I liked my Tahoe a lot, but love the Ford! Just keep your foot off the gas...stay in the 65-70 MPH range, and I think you will be happy with the Echoboost overall.
25' vs 27'; as I mentioned, the 25 for us is fine; some places 25 is maximum size, but that is rare....not to confuse, but if I was leaning heavy to 27, I would look at the 28' twin (twin is new); shorter than the 27' and you gain more storage, plus L shaped couch AND separate dining area....real nice set up! Why twin?; a queen is 60" wide; twins are 34" each, plus you get the extra area in the middle to dress without bending over and avoiding cabinets to get around the Queen...that's just us...hope this helps. We spent a lot of time looking at new models at dealers...25 works for us...for now. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
25 or 27

Quote:
More on my experience...I went through a new 08' and then a new 11' Tahoe with first Airstream and could not keep up with my friends 150' Echoboost while trying to climb a 6% grade in Canada pulling the 25'. Remember, torque is the key here for pulling a trailer....Echoboost has 420 ft lbs and 360 HP, and you can get 20-22 MPH if you aren't heavy footed, when not pulling... After I purchased my 12' F150 Platinum new, I am totally satisfied...after I hit 50K miles last summer, I talked with the dealer about a new F250...he talked me out of it...said why pay for a diesel with all the extra costs of gas (at the time, $1/Gallon more then regular) and cost of oil changes vs gas....his suggestion was unless I was towing 10K + pound trailer or needed the bigger package for a 5th wheel, he thought the Echoboost was "best all around match with 6 speed, 3.5 rear end with tow package,and it is one of the best options out there"...I have to agree after 2 years and 58,000 miles...good economy without the trailer, lots of power, great ride. Platinum or Lariat...same truck underneath for the most part. Lariat with same equipment about $3,500-5K cheaper. My wife just liked the retractable stepping boards...that was it. I liked my Tahoe a lot, but love the Ford! Just keep your foot off the gas...stay in the 65-70 MPH range, and I think you will be happy with the Echoboost overall.
25' vs 27'; as I mentioned, the 25 for us is fine; some places 25 is maximum size, but that is rare....not to confuse, but if I was leaning heavy to 27, I would look at the 28' twin (twin is new); shorter than the 27' and you gain more storage, plus L shaped couch AND separate dining area....real nice set up! Why twin?; a queen is 60" wide; twins are 34" each, plus you get the extra area in the middle to dress without bending over and avoiding cabinets to get around the Queen...that's just us...hope this helps. We spent a lot of time looking at new models at dealers...25 works for us...for now. Good luck!
I looked at the 28...I really want FB. Also, there's no pantry in the 28. As far as twins, I've canvassed a couple of lady friends, and they want the Queen. Who am i to argue?? Lastly, I wouldn't buy new (Airstream)--I'm buying a '12, and it saves me quite a bit.
Regards,
R
Old 05-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
FYI in my message above something got messed up when I edited it. I meant to say that current model ecos as a comparison get 1mpg more in city and 2mpg more on hwy (15/23ish reported actual avg) than my normally aspirated '09 model they designed as the pre-eco fuel sipper (with the 3.15 final it was known as the Super Fuel Efficient (SFE)) They have already said that the new one will get at least 20% better mileage. So my guess is around 27.5 or so hwy and about 14mpg towing which I low-balled to 13mpg. The ecoboost is proven, the only issue was sucking rainwater and they fixed that.

25 vs 27 - I think you are buying used? Are we comparing? I will tell you that I learned by using a ruler and measuring the models at the dealer inside that the 25,27,and 28 are so alike it is amazing. I compared all three in twin form. One foot of the two extra feet of the larger units is in floorspace at the foot of the beds. The other foot is divided up in wardrobe, pantry and counter space. The baths we the same measure. Regardless though, you will like your 28 (what they SHOULD call the 27 that measures 28'). The twins have more storage and allow for a changing room and or sitting room aside from the lounge area. The twins are more like half kings but that does not matter if your unit has a queen. Everyone has their own preferences. Enjoy.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would be wary of both the new dodge diesel this year and the eco boost. I would pay the extra fuel cost (if any) and get a v8. I would get a short wheel base, extended cab, 4 wheel drive with a tow package of whatever flavor I could get a decent deal on. My daily driver is an old ford 150. The way you describe the projected use I would be happy to overload the truck for relatively short periods of pulling the trailer. I would look at good tires and airbags or whatever was needed.
Personally I pull a 25' with a short bed dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 that my wife drives everyday. But we go on long caravans every year and pull the trailer in the mountains and on bad roads for a whole lot of miles each year. Yet on every caravan we have been on there have always been several half ton or less TV's and everyone made it to the end. One of the issues with a half ton could be brakes. I found it very easy to warp the rotors pulling the trailer with my 150. Aggravating and it happened a couple of times. I have heard of it on the newer Toyotas also.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
LOL, Your friends may like the bigger bed but they may not have to live with it- crawling over it to the lockers, etc. Also, the lounge section is really important to me as a mostly solo camper. I do not like to sit as much as a dinette and relax watching Television at night but rather like my sofa or in your case, a lounge. The biggest difference to me between the 27 and 28 is the primary seating arrangement- dinette front and center (27) and the dinette to the side (28). Oh, and the 28 has another thing I prefer - small window in the bedroom versus the pano window. I keep my drapes pulled most times and go outside to see the surroundings. Plus the heat radiation is worse. For me the choice would be between the 28 and the bigger classics with sofas IF I WERE BUYING NEW or had lots of used choices. Well, everyone has their own preferences. Enjoy.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
If you order with max tow package, it comes with 3.73 rear end and some additional HD tow options...that is the 12,000 max weight tow package, I believe...need to double check with an expert ford truck guy...
Old 05-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
In the end...it's your choice...

I see the skepticism of Echoboost, push for Dodge, Chevy, Tundra, gas, diesel and 1500 vs 2500; in the end, everyone has an opinion. I know I have pulled Airstreams back and forth from Texas to Montana and Canada each year for the past 8 years, with side trips to Texas coast, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Idaho, WA, OR, SD, NM, AZ, ND, IL, and CA. The F150 short bed Echoboost works just fine with 25' and will work nicely for 27 or 28 also...as others will attest.

As for cost of "new" vs 2012' model AS; you Really need to check around...2015's are coming out and there are better deals on some new 14's in stock than used...we know...I found 3 dealers with "new" pricing better than several recent models including 10, 11, 12, and 2013, 25' AS models; we have been following over past 6 months....you need to do your homework and call the bigger dealers and discuss your interests with sales management...but, you better ready to move on the deal and put down deposit. There is a thread on the Forum which talks about dealing strategies on new AS's with several inputs...but that's another post.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Amazed

I am surprised that no one has suggested a van. I initially towed the 31' Sovereign with a shortie 3/4 ton Dodge 350 gasser. It did great, and the van was my daily driver, plus triple duty as a pickup truck when needed. The short overhang made for an ideal tow vehicle - the ball was only a couple of feet behind the axle.

Whichever vehicle you decide on be sure to make it a four door. The accessible rear seat will be needed for dog related stuff.

If you have never owned one, I would shy away from an 8' bed unless you really need one...the extreme opposite of the shortie van mentioned above.

Get the vehicle which you are most comfortable in. I once sold a Chevy pickup with only 3,000 miles on it simply because the seat did not fit my butt.

I like Ford seats - your choice may vary, just make sure it is the right one for you.

Instrument layout is another point that is important to me. Understand what your instrument scan is and where your particular "home point" in the scan is. The focal point of your personal scan may affect your choice of vehicle.

As far as your travel plans go, check out TAHI for a great long weekend getaway for you and your squeeze du jour.

Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.

Cheapest way I know of to get a personal parking space available for any season of the year.

Luck - let us know of your choices - and pics...lots of pics.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
agree...short bed PU with supercrew is a great combo for pu.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:

As for cost of "new" vs 2012' model AS; you Really need to check around...2015's are coming out and there are better deals on some new 14's in stock than used...we know...I found 3 dealers with "new" pricing better than several recent models including 10, 11, 12, and 2013, 25' AS models; we have been following over past 6 months....you need to do your homework and call the bigger dealers and discuss your interests with sales management...but, you better ready to move on the deal and put down deposit. There is a thread on the Forum which talks about dealing strategies on new AS's with several inputs...but that's another post.
Regarding new/used--I've talked to several big dealers...the tie-breaker is the expensive add-ons that you won't get from the dealers....and i mean the REALLY expensive add-ons. I had one deal @ 5% over invoice, and it still didn't add up, considering the options.