Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
avondale estates , Georgia
Question What weight may I tow confusion?

What does it all mean! Sure do wish they would put a sticker on the vehicle that said you may tow this much. Hope one of you may help me with the problem I am having. This determines what size Airstream options I have.
Here is the info I have gleaned from my truck sticker that was on the window when I bought it:
Year 2005, C1500 Silverado 2WD Extended Cab
5.3 Liter V8 Engine
4 SPD Automatic
Locking Differential-Rear Axle
HD Trailering Equipment
Rear Axle- 3.73 Ratio
GVW Rating- 6200 LB
Heavy Duty Suspension

The sticker on the door said:
GVWR 6200
GAWR FRT 3600LB
GAWR RR 3686LB

The sticker on the other door said:
Tire& Load never over,
1331LB

The sticker in the glove box said:
Cargo weight rating,
582LB
So I am confounded about what weight trailer I may pull safely. Also what Tongue Weight may I have?
I live in Atlanta area so there will be trips to the Smokey Mountains, kinda hilly. Also to the Okefenokee Swamp, flat down there.
So I am worrying about creeping up hills in the Smokey's.
I have been thinking in the 25 foot to 28 foot range of trailer.
Any help is greatly appreciated with these weights.
Kevin

Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Here's a link to the Trailer life Towing Guide for 2005.

http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-conten...Guide-2005.pdf

Looks like your good for around 7500 pounds. Some like to take about 10% off that rating as a safety margine.
Read the legend at the top of the guide to make sure you're looking at the right equiptment on the truck to get a match.
There should be sticker on the hitch stating the max tongue weight with or without a weight distributing hitch.

Good luck,

Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Slowing down to climb a hill does not disqualify your truck. Tom gives good advice above but I don't see the point in those discounting 10% of the rating for safety, Airstream is far more stable and streamlined than virtually any trailer the tow ratings could consider.

Get the Airstream you want, certainly in the 25'-28' range, equip the rig with a properly installed weight distribution and sway control hitch, brake controller, and take it easy as you learn the abilities of your truck.

doug k
Old 06-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I also dont see the need to discount 10% off a tow rating. There is already a safety margin built in that rating. You will , however, to pay pretty close attention to the tongue rating because of the hitch itself and how it affects steering and handling. Its a good idea to inspect the hitch regularly for cracks in welds , etc.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
I also dont see the need to discount 10% off a tow rating. There is already a safety margin built in that rating. You will , however, to pay pretty close attention to the tongue rating because of the hitch itself and how it affects steering and handling. Its a good idea to inspect the hitch regularly for cracks in welds , etc.
Depends on the year of truck. Back in the early part of 2000 they were playing "Tow Wars" and the advertised and listed tow rating were not too realistic. If you read the fine print you could tow 8,000# with a V-6 vehicle, IF their were not additional cargo, the driver was the only occupant and weighed 150#. Most of this misrepresentation was done with the SUV's but some of it did carry over into the pickup truck lines. You can tow all the way up to the max of the trucks listed towing capacity, but that doesn't mean you should or that it is safe.

With the truck and the information that is listed it might be possible to tow the trailers that Kevin is interested in, however it is going to be on the edge of what the truck is rated for.

Everybody has their comfort level and they all differ. I think the truck is going to struggle in the mountains and the experience is not going to be a good one.

My opinion. FWIW I tow a 1975 Airstream 31' that has a GVW of 7200#, real world weight of 6200# for most shorter trips that we tow with a 2003 F-150, 4.2 V-8. We don't take that rig to the mountains. The F-150 is rated to tow 7200 pounds.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
If your hitch looks like this....replace, note the afore mentioned sticker.

Your rear axle ratings will help you determine max tongue weight, get a loaded camping weight for the TV alone and then add tongue weight.
FWIW...AS published tongue weights are notoriously low for a camping ready trailer.
Example...our 25' Classic 760lbs dry, loaded for two weeks of boondocking...

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We tow a older 25' Excella that weighs around 6500. We towed it at first with a F150 with the real little v8, whatever that is. We used it about a year that way and several trips of a couple hundered miles each way. It did fine. Seemd to control the Airstream well. It did gear down and go slow on hills. Now we tow with a Ram Diesel. The Ford was a little under-tow, the diesel definite over-tow. But we love it.
My opinion is that you will be fine with a 25' trailer and that truck, particularly towing in the east. You are gonna creep in north GA and in the Smokies whatever you are towing with. You need proper tires for the truck, a good hitch well adjusted, maybe some gauges including a transmission temp gauge. I use the Reese dual cam hitch.
like the 25' for manuevering and it has enough room for the 2 of us and a dog for a couple of months at the time.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Bob, is your scale positioned under the jack stand or at the hitch end of your Hensley? Could be about a 200-300lb difference...

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
avondale estates , Georgia
Thanks for all your information about the tow capabilities now I can procede in ernest with the search. For some reason most of the"good" trailers seem to be west of the Mississippi. Can't figure that one out.
Just wondering ,it is time for new rotors for my truck, are there beefier or better ones for towing and if the are do you change out the caliper$ also.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Brake options....

Ultimate rotors..stainless $$$$$ Brembo etc.

A less expensive alternative., example only, I would prefer to "eyeball" any replacement parts.

If your going to up-grade don't scrimp!!!

mojo,

Scale details here...

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I have towed my 28' Safari all through the Smokies with my 5.3 Silverado and with the 3.42 rear end. Never once felt underpowered.