Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Newbury Park , California
what vehicle can safely tow a 25 footer?

Will a Sequoia tow a 25 footer? Some reviews say they can tow 9,000 lbs, others say only 7100 (which I know is not enough). Our tow vehicle will have to be my everyday driving car and I can't see myself driving a truck to soccer, grocery store etc. In other words... what is the smallest vehicle that can tow a 25 footer safely? Suggestions?
bunnyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
While I don't have a Sequoia, I tow a 23 with my MB GL 450.

It's rated at a towing capacity of 7500 lbs.

Good rule of thumb is to have a margin of error equal to about 15%. In other words, you should have towing capability in excess of 15% of the trailer you want to tow.

I would look carefully at the numbers your vehicle is capable of, before I did it, but this is just my personal opinion. Others may differ.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There are at least two camps in this battle of words, one side who takes the many tow vehicle and trailer factors into consideration and uses non-traditional towing arrangements, and another who refuse to look beyond mfg's spec's and will predict dire consequences if you don't listen to them.

And some try to find reason in both. Take the recommendations of forums with a grain of salt and skepticism, do your own research, and decide for yourself. That's how I see it.

Here's an experienced Airstream dealer in Canada who leads one camp

Can-Am RV Centre | Your Towing Experts

Wherever you find them on the forums you will find a strong rebuttal and warnings from the other camp.

doug k

PS Sometimes towing specs change although the vehicle doesn't, as is the case for the different Sequoia numbers.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I am firmly in the Can-Am camp. I've seen their set-ups and what they do. They are my choice for getting our Honda Odyssey ready as a towing vehicle.

Think about it this way, people have been towing trailers for decades, safely, with cars that had neither the engine nor the braking capabilities of today's vehicles. I used to tow heavy horse trailers with a 1964 Land Rover. Simple drum brakes all round and 72 horse powers in total. Never an issue.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
What year is the Sequoia? If it's a 2008 or newer with the proper towing equipment, there's no problem - it's basically a SUV version of the Tundra pickup truck. (That said, a current-generation Sequoia is no small beast.)

Earlier Sequoias are smaller and tow less, but a 25' can still be within their limits. Met several folks who towed their 26' Overlanders with them in the mountains out West.

My personal answer to the "smallest" conventional (read: won't get you blasted on every internet towing forum) SUV that can tow that: a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dodge Durango with a Hemi V8 or a VW Touareg/BMW X5/Mercedes ML/Porsche Cayenne. Like any vehicle towing a 25' trailer, all depend on a well-set up hitch.

Tom
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There should be a section in the owners manual showing the towing capability of the Sequoia. In my Tundra manual it lists the capacities with and without the tow package. Based on the engine size. The hitch on the Sequoia will be rated for those capacities.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
There are at least two camps in this battle of words, one side who takes the many tow vehicle and trailer factors into consideration and uses non-traditional towing arrangements, and another who refuse to look beyond mfg's spec's and will predict dire consequences if you don't listen to them.

And some try to find reason in both. Take the recommendations of forums with a grain of salt and skepticism, do your own research, and decide for yourself. That's how I see it.

Here's an experienced Airstream dealer in Canada who leads one camp

Can-Am RV Centre | Your Towing Experts

Wherever you find them on the forums you will find a strong rebuttal and warnings from the other camp.

doug k

PS Sometimes towing specs change although the vehicle doesn't, as is the case for the different Sequoia numbers.

As Doug says, consult an expert. Can Am will have set Sequoias up with a variety of trailers and they'll be able to tell you the pros and cons of that particular vehicle.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
What year is the Sequoia? If it's a 2008 or newer with the proper towing equipment, there's no problem - it's basically a SUV version of the Tundra pickup truck. (That said, a current-generation Sequoia is no small beast.)

Earlier Sequoias are smaller and tow less, but a 25' can still be within their limits. Met several folks who towed their 26' Overlanders with them in the mountains out West.

My question would be: What year is the trailer?
We have a 26' Overlander that we tow with a Sequoia...but the trailer is a '59 and weighs less than the new ones.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
A 2013 Sequoia can tow up to 7400 lbs which is close to the loaded weight of a 2013 25 Airstream. The 2013 25's have heavy hitch weights too. You'll want to look at your hitch and see what it says regarding its maximum weight distributing limit. Plan on needing about 1,000 lbs hitch weight capacity for a newer 25 footer. With the 2013 Sequoia that payload only leaves a few hundred pounds for stuff in the Sequoia (spouse, kids, junk in back). The hitch/vehicle payload is normally the limiting factor regarding towing. It may be stamped on the side or bottom of the square receiver on your Sequoia. Need to know year of your Sequoia and year of the Airstream you have in mind. Bottom line, it might work, but you will be at the limits.

Count me on the side against modifiers like that guy in Canada. They'd probably say a Toyota Prius is just fine. I think trailering a load well beyond manufactures specs puts a person in position of gross negligence of life and limb to themselves and others, not to mention the risk of adverse legal liability.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Newbury Park , California
Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful comments. Since I posted this question this morning my husband went out on his lunch break and bought a 2012 Tundra. We should be in good shape!
bunnyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

The gross vehicle weight of my 2004 25 Safari is 6300 lbs. I am told other Safaris have a 7300 gvw. Check yours out as 6300 is within the limits while 7300 is marginal.
The numbers for my trailer are on a label inside the streetside closet.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The Tundra will solve your concerns. It has a 10,000+ towing capacity when equipped with a 5.7 liter engine and tow package.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
First off, having built a number of hot rods from the ground up, I have no problem with a modified TV. I've posted several times that one should actually weigh the trailer ready to roll rather than take the published weights as gospel.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Austin , Texas
Have a 25' Int.Serenity which I tow with 5.7 liter Toyota Tundra crew max 4x4 Rock Warrior. Max tow capacity is 9300 lbs. Both are 2012 and I get about 10 mpg at 65mph. If I take it easy especially uphill the fuel bill is much better. Getting a camper shell in a couple of weeks for generators, dogs and out of the weather stuff.

Texas Tom
h8rain is offline   Reply With Quote