Old 04-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Crescent , Oklahoma
[QUOTE=JCWDCW;1609074]I would have tried to pull your trailer with my 03 4.7 Dakota, and it has a 3.53 rear end. With 4WD your drive train is already a bit tougher and geared lower than that.

When I bought this truck our AS dealer said it would pull any trailer we cared to buy from them. I would have been a bit reticent to try a 34 mind you! We routionely take our '96 25 classic over the Top of Lake Superior...lots of 7% grades.

I bought a 34' fifth wheel in 2003. The dealer said I could pull it with the half ton I was in (not the truck I planned to use). Dealers sale campers, they dont know or care about pulling them. They will not lose a sale, because they said your TV would'nt work. They would help you hitch it to a Honda, as long as your check clears. That said, get the TV for the job. I have personally been on calls on I35 that were fatal, that prove my point.

TAC OK-5
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Crescent , Oklahoma
P.S. My FW weighed close to 12000#. I hope I dont offend, I just think safety is the first priority. We all have an obligation, to everyone else on the road, to be properly equiped, know how to pull, back, and operate our rig in every way. The TV is the most inportant part of that, you cant do any of the others without it.

TAC OK-5
Old 04-26-2015, 06:22 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
do what you wish, that approach simply makes zero sense to me. my PU gets 20 mpg at highway speeds when not towing so not that much difference. i also pack along a generator, chairs, tools, chains, jack, ice chests and a bunch of other stuff in the PU bed. all of that adds weight. i doubt seriously if your choice of TV can match that carrying capacity, but as i said, do as you wish, i simply don't understand this mindset.

so according to you, if i question this i 'don't respect' your choice, hum!

GPT - I think if you read your previous posts carefully, you'll notice a pretty clear tone of judgement. Perhaps this was unintentional on your part and your question was based on actual curiosity. If so, I'm sorry I misunderstood.

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
Old 04-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahrfarm View Post
P.S. My FW weighed close to 12000#. I hope I dont offend, I just think safety is the first priority. We all have an obligation, to everyone else on the road, to be properly equiped, know how to pull, back, and operate our rig in every way. The TV is the most inportant part of that, you cant do any of the others without it.

I agree completely. Pulling a 12,000 pound RV with anything less than a big, heavy truck of close to equal weight seems unsafe. Even a 9,000 pound trailer pulled by a 6,000 pound truck would make me very nervous, especially in emergency situations. Of course, proper hitch setup, sway control and the right brakes and brake controller would alleviate that concern somewhat. That's why I'm glad my AS and my TV are very close to equal weight.

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
Old 04-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
For what it is worth, our 2012 Dodge Ram 2500HD diesel fits inside our garage and gets under the door as it sits level with the air suspension. But to be fair, it completely fills it's allocated position.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Crescent , Oklahoma
In my job we always train for and assume things will fail. Pumps will break, hoses will burst, structures will collapse. We are always ready with redundant backup plans. I do the same at home, cant help it. I think my hensley will somehow fail, my trailer breaks will quit, I will blow a tire, and a semi will pass me at this exact moment. So I have more TV than I have to, I also have use for it when not towing AS. Everyone does not need to buy a truck, but TV should be a little more than capable.

TAC OK-5
Old 04-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Crescent , Oklahoma
TCwheels, my comments are not to imply that your TV is not enough for your 20' AS. It is most likely fine. My comments are directed to the comment about "RV dealers" telling people they have plenty of TV.

TAC OK-5
Old 04-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #36
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
GPT - I think if you read your previous posts carefully, you'll notice a pretty clear tone of judgement. Perhaps this was unintentional on your part and your question was based on actual curiosity. If so, I'm sorry I misunderstood.

sometimes it hard to be curious on the internet without adding undertones that were not intended. roll on and see you on the road.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I would suspect if you got a chance to see a lot of "wrecks" involving towed RV's both TT and 5th wheels, the wreck was not the result of actions of the RV driver but the other driver.

I have not really seen a RV accident in person so not sure about the cause and effect therein.

"Most" RV owners are aware of the added weight, length etc and drive accordingly, giving more distance between them and vehicle in front, keeping speed at or below posted number etc.

A tire blowing out (cheap goodyear marathons) and such probably cause more accidents than a overloaded TV.

I drove OTR tractor for 5 yrs and saw more trucks in accidents than RV's.

PS the average OTR tractor is not as heavy as a loaded trailer so the weight for weight thing does not work out.

this is from another forum.

My company truck weighs in at 18,000 for the truck, driver, full fuel, and all my gear. My trailers run right at 10,000, and cargo typically is 48-53,000 for a road weight betwen 78-80k most times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
I agree completely. Pulling a 12,000 pound RV with anything less than a big, heavy truck of close to equal weight seems unsafe. Even a 9,000 pound trailer pulled by a 6,000 pound truck would make me very nervous, especially in emergency situations. Of course, proper hitch setup, sway control and the right brakes and brake controller would alleviate that concern somewhat. That's why I'm glad my AS and my TV are very close to equal weight.

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I came to this discussion late. My advise is to buy the Denali and go camping. Problem solved. And you will have a very nice TV that will last a long time. Nobody wants a note. But sometimes it is actually cheaper to buy a decent TV than the alternatives in the long run.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
In my job we always train for and assume things will fail. Pumps will break, hoses will burst, structures will collapse. We are always ready with redundant backup plans. I do the same at home, cant help it. I think my hensley will somehow fail, my trailer breaks will quit, I will blow a tire, and a semi will pass me at this exact moment. So I have more TV than I have to, I also have use for it when not towing AS. Everyone does not need to buy a truck, but TV should be a little more than capable.
I respect your choice of tow vehicle and applaud your desire to be safe.

Where the big misconception, for many people on this forum, happens is when they equate size with safety. Nothing could be further from the truth.

While vehicle weight is important, it is also important to understand that trucks, or the big body on frame SUVs, are not inherently and automatically the safest vehicles on the road - quite the opposite is often true. A high centre of gravity, antiquated suspension setups, unequal weigh distribution, brakes designed for mass rather than speed all come together to create a vehicle that would not stand a chance competing against a modern unibody SUV or even a van on the test track. A longer stopping distance, lower lane change speed and a higher likelihood for rollover accidents are all the direct result of those vehicle's designs.

Adding a trailer does not suddenly reverse this performance deficit, if anything you're now towing with a vehicle that is far more likely to be the cause of an accident rather than to help prevent it.

I am not against trucks, but to think that a truck automatically delivers a safe towing experience is wrong.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:

Absolutely! I was in that exact situation last month. Worse actually. Going 60, uphill, middle lane (vehicles merging in on right) on a curve in rush hour traffic in Birmingham AL while being passed by a semi who was doing at least 70. We lost the tire AND wheel! My rig did not move an inch side-to-side and I was able to get off the road and stop quickly. Very scary. 40+ years of RV towing experience and a great TV/AS setup saved our butts!

Old 04-26-2015, 11:55 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Pucker factor off the charts on that one.

I didn't like Birmingham traffic without an AS in trail....and I drive through there often during the 15 years or so I lived in Huntsville.

Can't conceive of going through there now with our AS in heavy traffic. Went through a couple years ago... Left the AS in Huntsville and took the TV down to Florida and Disney. Scary enough for me, and it was well before rush hour!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Pucker factor off the charts on that one.

I didn't like Birmingham traffic without an AS in trail....and I drive through there often during the 15 years or so I lived in Huntsville.

Can't conceive of going through there now with our AS in heavy traffic. Went through a couple years ago... Left the AS in Huntsville and took the TV down to Florida and Disney. Scary enough for me, and it was well before rush hour!

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

It was not fun! Important lesson for us - obvious to most already - we're not driving through big cities during business hours again. We took a very nice and calm four hour self-imposed detour around Atlanta on the way home. It's hard for me to let go of the "got to get there by x time" mentality but that's part of leaving the old lifestyle and adapting to the new one...