Old 08-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Hey, I applaud you. In this age of folks going out and buying a new AS, and a new tow vehicle, with NO trailering experience, you have gone out, gotten a reasonable rig for a reasonable price. You will love your camping and you won't be sitting back fretting the payments on it. Getting it out on the road and having a fun time is the important part (after safety of course). Good job, and have a blast!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:13 AM   #16
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Nice looking TV to match your trailer! You do not want to make the rear too stiff on the TV. Does it bottom out only when you have the trailer attached? If so, a weight distribution hitch might solve the problem. Airstreams perfer a softer ride to a stiff one. If you make it too stiff, it may shake some of the rivits loose when you go down rough roads. My TV (2003 Tundra) drops several inches when the trailer is attached. After the WD hitch is hooked up the driop is less then an inch (front and rear). This makes for a smooth and safe ride. BTW, 25' Trade Winds are the best (maybe I am bias)!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Merrimakc , New Hampshire
Thanks. I've gotten really excited that in another month I will be full timing and have no payments to think about.

There are a few things that need to be done on both the trailer and the truck but I already feel like I am more experienced at trailering before I've even left because I have gotten a chance to get my hands dirty and buy the right tools and run all the maintenance before l am on the side of the road fixing a flat etc.

Now I can't wait to get to a rally and meet some streamers.

See you all on the road.

Bill
Old 08-20-2006, 11:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Nashville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to harestream
Thumbs up which weight distribution hitch?

well I started looking around on the web at weight distribution hitches, and I must say it's all beyond me. It seems like there are many for each situation. What can I expect to pay? Anything I should look out for in particular with manufacturer and/or model? Is there a descent inexpensive brand I could purchase? Thanks.
just wanting to be safe...

-Kelly

(airspleens travel partner and girlfriend)
Old 08-21-2006, 05:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
We have the Draw-tite Trunion system. I recommend you get the 800 lbs bars.

Many people like to add the Dual Cam system for sway control. In fact, I think (just guessing here) that about 50% of the board here probably ops for one form or another of this very system. I would not use the "friction" style, but that's just me, don't like the looks of it.

As WD systems go, this is a very reasonably priced setup. Not real high like a Hensley, not rock bottom like a straight hitch. And I think that for your rig, perfectly safe, as long as you have it set up right, which isn't too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harestream
well I started looking around on the web at weight distribution hitches, and I must say it's all beyond me. It seems like there are many for each situation. What can I expect to pay? Anything I should look out for in particular with manufacturer and/or model? Is there a descent inexpensive brand I could purchase? Thanks.
just wanting to be safe...

-Kelly

(airspleens travel partner and girlfriend)

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote