Old 03-06-2003, 09:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
401 in Wagoneer

I remember off-road tests being done on a Wagoneer with a 401 so they were available but not sure which years. I had a '77 Jeep CJ7 with 304 and contemplated a switch to a 360 or 401 because they were built on the same block. I remember a number of 401 powered Jeep CJ5s and 7s that were awsome.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 10:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I was a young one but I do vaguely remember the CJ's with the 401. Was that crazy or what? In particular I remember this fine lookin' girl driving one around town who I guess was probably ten years my senior, what the heck, maybe one of my first fifty crushes or so? It was the Levi jean edition, had denim interior with the rivets and all, probably highly collectible today. Had side pipes on it. I guess they were pretty dangerous as well. Heard of quite a few rollovers and such.

Chas

Old 03-07-2003, 09:29 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Jeep engines, I worked at AMC from 68 untl being bought by Chrysler in 87. Retired from Chrysler in 2001. Jeep CJ never had anything larger than 304 V8, however as the blocks were the same many dealers and customers were changing to 360 and 401 V8's. The Cherokee Chief and Grand Wagoneer got the 360 and 401 engine from 1970 until 1985. The last years only the 360 was avaliable. The last year of the 390 was 1969 and was replaced with the 401 in 1970. The 69 Wagoneer still used the Buick engine. To identify which AMC block you have look under the right hand engine mount and the displacement is cast into the block.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:55 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Unhappy towing with my '85 gw

Unfortunely I bought my 31ft A/S thinking my gwagoneer would have no problem pulling it. Wrong! I am now in the process of figuring out what to do. I can take short trips 100 miles or less without to much trouble but would not attempt to take the airstream to Colorado. Even though I've had the 360 rebuilt about 1year ago and 2 weeks ago the tranny was rebuillt, I still wouldn't take the trip. I've been told the rear end has the wrong gear ratio but I'm clueless. All I know is that I can not go beyond 60 mph and thats downhill. She runs a little warm also. Still don't want to part with my Jeep but don't know of other options.

Not leaving Indiana anytime soon

Wayne
Old 11-24-2003, 09:32 AM   #19
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Info for GW

Hello all - Its funny that this post is here this week since I have been PMing Kevin about our purchase of an 86 GW (which took place last friday). Ours came with a 360 V8, and a heavy duty tow pkg., but we will be making some modifications to help tow our 22ft Argosy Minuet. Might I suggest another website dedicated to Full Size Jeeps. There is a local branch here in Colorado with some great guys really into modifying their Wagoneers for off road, meaning some heavy duty engines, transmissions, and undercarriage parts. I am NOT savvy about cars and no nothing about how to work on one, but these guys were very helpful about explaining. Anyway, the national site is:

www.ifsja.org.

Stands for International Full Size Jeep Organization. Hope that leads you down an interesting path. Leigh

PS We also noticed our brake lights are out. Not the bulbs so went for fuses. Haven't found where fuse box is. Anyone??
Old 11-25-2003, 03:26 PM   #20
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
More info

Ok - our 86 was diagnosed with a possible need for emission replacement - CAT converter, muffler and tailpipe. We did some homework and for what we want to use the GW for (mostly towing the Argosy and some offroad jeeping, here is the recommendation: Go for a high performance muffler (recommend a Magnaflow muffler) and aluminum 3" tailpipe w/o removal of Y-pipe when replacing. The high performance muffler and bigger tailpipe is suppose to help with towing and also any offroad we do.

I'm checking on the differential gearing. Ours came with 3:31 and we were told that is what we need for towing. Came w/heavy duty tow pkg., so someone used it that way, but Kevin mentioned his came w/3:90 and he also towed all the way here to Eisenhower tunnel w/no prob. I don't understand enough about this, so again, doing homework. Any knowledge on this is appreciated. Anything else we learn, we will pass on. Leigh
Old 11-25-2003, 06:24 PM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Re: Info for GW

Quote:
Originally posted by COArgosy78

PS We also noticed our brake lights are out. Not the bulbs so went for fuses. Haven't found where fuse box is. Anyone?? [/B]
Leigh, check the glove compartment. In my Matador they were behind a little panel in the glove box, & I remember seeing about the same thing in a J10 (GW with a bed).
Terry
Old 11-25-2003, 06:53 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Plano , Texas
We tow a 25' 1985 Airstream Sovereign with a tow rating of 4900 lbs and use a Reese Weight Distribution Hitch with our 1990 Grand Wagoneer having a B Tow Package rated at 5000 lbs. I think that we are at the maximum tow rating to safety control the trailer (we do use a Prodigy electric brake controller). It was a struggle getting up the mountains in North Carolina where we were going 35 mph (same as the big rigs).

I would strongly recommend you not tow 7500 lbs with the Grand Wagoneer. You can add a transmission cooler, 4 row radiator, fan shroud, 5 leaf rear springs, and other modifications, but you still have 7500 lbs of weight working against your vehicle's 1/2 ton rating.

We live in Texas where is flat as a board, but when we have to maneuver up short hills and back-in to park, the engine temp does get a bit hot.

Regards,
Keith
Old 11-25-2003, 08:19 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What trailer for a Grand Wagoneer?

Greetings Leigh!

Quote:
PS We also noticed our brake lights are out. Not the bulbs so went for fuses. Haven't found where fuse box is. Anyone??
My first thought when you mention this problem is the actual brake light switch. This was one part that went bad on my '84 Grand Wagoneer at about 135,000 miles - - it looks something like a little plunger with an electric wire running out of it (mounted high up on the interior firewall under the brake pedal arm) - - a inexpensive part but an unpleasant task to replace.

On my '84 Grand Wagoneer the fuse box was on the kickpanel above the emergency brake pedal. The attaching hardware (at least on my unit) must have been rather fragile as it was not well attached to the kickpanel or firewall.

Good luck in locating your brake light gremlin!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 05:17 PM   #24
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
More Info...

Hello again - I thought I would bring more info to the table for GW's and towing.

First tho - our brake light problem was just a loose fuse (switch?) and once we located the fuse box, was an easy fix.

Now regarding the gear ratio and towing. It is my understanding that the lower the number (in our case it is 3:31) the better the mileage, but the harder it is on your car when towing or offroading. Kevin's 3:90 is better for towing or offroad, but you give up good gas mileage. I am now checking with a company called US Gear that makes a device that can be added to your tow vehicle as an addition which has a toggle switch inside the car to allow the car to transfer back and forth between two different sets of gears depending on driving conditions - so you can have the best of both! The gentleman who heads up this company was not in this week, but I have his #800 and plan to talk with him about this application on GW's next week. If anyone else has info on this, please chime in!!!! Later, Leigh
Old 12-05-2003, 08:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
The US gear deal is a Overdrive plantary gear you hang on the back of the transmission. Gear vendors also has one. Here is a link to the US Gear. http://www.usgear.com/v2od.htm

It's not always true that you will get worse gas mileage with a lower gear (numerically higher). If the engine cannot get in it's "Power band" where it runs at it's best efficiency your going to get bad MPG It doesn't matter this happens with too low or two high of gear.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 01:26 PM   #26
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
tell me more

OK - I learn more each time.

I understand that the US Gear deal is called a dual range auxillary transmission and gives the tow vehicle an option to switch between gears depending on need. Haven't learned about whether they fit on a Jeep GW or cost, but know we are probibly going to need different transmission gears to tow. The US GEAR website gives some good info, but would like to hear regular folks take on this. Glad to hear that going to 3:90's might not lower MPG, but want as much info as possible before spending $$$. Has anyone had the auxillary transmission installed? Does it help find that "sweet spot" for best performance? Being in Colorado will mean a lot of mtn. towing. So far, we are very happy with our 86 GW and have heard a lot of good reviews from mechanics and others who have them. Leigh