Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2003, 07:57 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Mine worked great

There are some pretty good rises on Hwy. 169 between Le Sueur and Mpls., MN, and the 454 in my 93 Suburban did well today. I found myself speeding I was so at ease with the ride. I just posted a word about it on another thread here.

My tow vehicle is new to me as of 3 weeks ago. It has 188K on the "clock," but most of them I found had high mileage. That's actually pretty good news. They LAST. Plus, many are well maintained. Hold out for a good deal.

It's my first rig of this size. I'm surprised how much I like it. Gas mileage? Ummmm....gee, let's see here....let's just say "sub-optimal."

I went with the wisdom found on the A/S Forums and went with the 3/4 ton to handle my 71 Overlander.

That's all I know about tow vehicles. Today was my first day towing anything.

Good luck!

--Roundhead
Roundhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 09:04 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What tow vehicle would you suggest?

Greetings Steve!

Quote:
On Monday I'm going to look at a 77 24' Argosy.
This would have the year that the Argosy Minuet was introduced. It is unclear whether the full line (20', 22', and 24') were all introduced at the same time - - or if they were staggered with the 20' being introduced first. If they were all introduced in '77, you might be looking at one of the seemingly quite rare 24' Minuets. A Minuet is distinguished from the standard series by the floor width - - Minuet 7' - - Standard Series 7' 8".

If the coach is the 24' Minuet, the Empty Weight without options is listed in the factory literature as 3,820 pounds with a hitch weight of 510 pounds. The coach was available with either a center twin bed arrangement or center double-bed (pull-out lounge); in front, the choice was a convertible lounge or dinette arrangment.

If it is a standard series coach, it could have one of three distinct floor plans. One of the more unusual for any Airstream product is the rear curbside door model that featured a front bedroom with either a pair of twin beds or a double bed; a center dinette, streetside center kitchen, and rear bathroom. The factory literature lists the Empty Weight of this coach without options as 3,750 pounds with a hitch weight of 475 pounds. The two other 24' standard series coaches featured the more familiar front curbside entrance door with a front lounge streetside kitchen with the refrigerator immediately to the left of the entry door with an ajacent pantry cabinet - - the difference would be in the center of the coach - - one features a double-bed (pull-out lounge) while the other features twin beds on either side of the aisle - - both have very similar rear bathrooms. The twin bed model is listed as having an Empty Weight without options of 3,610 pounds with a hitch weight of 560 pounds. The double bed model is listed as having an Empty Weight of 3,610 pounds with a hitch weight of 560 pounds.

Whether standard series or Minuet, the coach would have tandem axles.

The issue with your truck wouldn't be so much that of length rather whether it is equipped with the necessary engine and differential ratios to tow the weight involved. I towed my '64 Overlander with a short-bed, club cab K1500 Chevrolet pickup for three years - - the Overlander was a bit too much for the truck when facing any kind of grade; but a 24' should be within the range of a well-prepared 1/2 ton 4 x 4. For a safe towing margin, I would suggest that a factory rating of approximately 6,000 pounds would be wise for a trailer of this size as it will weigh in the vicinity of 5,000 pounds when fully loaded ready for a trip - - especially when you consider that the factory published weights do not include fluids, or options which can add up rather quickly.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:32 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

dry 6000 / GVWR 7300 / tongue 730

In that case, I would go with a small block V8.

GM: 5.7L
Ford 5.8L
Dodge (whatever the Dodge equivalent is, 5.9L)

- and 3.73 rear and a 4-speed heavy-duty tranny with OD.

I had good luck with Ford trucks and GM sedans and cannot go wrong with either one. I also like the older style Dodges (pre-1994) but the mid-90's ones had a lot of quality issues according to one review.

or if doing a lot of towing, pick a diesel for better mileage but in my opinion it is only worthwhile if towing over 10k/year. Then wouldn't be restricted by weight/size.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:19 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

I'm back and not alone

As I said I was looking at a 77 Argosy 24' on Monday:
I looked and bought and my truck handled the job fine. The return trip was 275 enjoyable miles.

Thanks for all the help.......Steve
want310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Kevin, I'm thinking of buying an old muscle car...

...like a 1965 Lincoln Continental. Automatic, V8, 430 cu.in. engine. 52k miles. What do you think? Can it pull my 26' '63 Overlander with ease? Can you see problems with this set-up?
'63 princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:16 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by '63 princess
...like a 1965 Lincoln Continental. Automatic, V8, 430 cu.in. engine. 52k miles. What do you think? Can it pull my 26' '63 Overlander with ease? Can you see problems with this set-up?
Those were great driving cars! I had a 63 convertible for a long time and that thing would run 80 all day long and get 14 miles per gallon, which for a car of that era wasn't bad. The 430 engines were really a good engine. Chris Craft used them in their large cruisers up to 1967 when the 427 came out. There are still a lot of them in use today, I've got a 33' with two.

I think the 3.25 axle ratio was standard (which is what mine had) and you would probably want something a little lower like a 3.73. Steven Oulette at Baker's Auto in Putnam, CT is the expert on the older Lincoln's. I'd give him a call and pick his brain. I'm not sure how the unibody construction would do, but there is a 65 Lincoln shown hooked to a Overlander in one of the old Airstream brochures. I think it is shown in the Airstream book.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Pre Owned bargains..

For the record, we tow our 25' Excella with a 4wd 1500 Suburban, with the pre-vortec 5.7L v-8, rated at 200hp... It's a 1994 model, just reaching 60,000 miles.. After 7500 miles pulling this trailer, I wish we had the bigger V-8, as freeway speeds up big hills like "Grapevine" into LA can reach as low as 45 mph over in truck-lane land...

Having said that, in mid 90's, the 4wd versions actuially carried higher tow capacity I think, given same towing package, which should be a must have...

At least in Calif, Chevy and GMC have seen Tahoe and Suburban sales tank by 20% or more, and GM has been extending "friends and family" pricing generously, which runs 25% off MSRP + rebate in some cases.. That has led to dip in used Suburban prices as well, as people panic over gas prices.. I'd consider newer body style, but 7400 engine, and look between 1996 and 2000 models for real bargains. Find one well maintained and it shoudl last a long time...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #28

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The same pricing and big vehicle dumping is going on here in the midwest. Our 3/4 ton van tow vehicle was our second car. Much for my wife to use during the day. While it was low use it still is pricy to operate based on current gas prices. To counter we picked up a Honda CRV for her to use. Big enough to do some minor hauling (not towing) yet about 2.5 times more mileage than the van. So we are a two person 3 vehicle family. She's happy with something smaller to drive, I'm happy on the gas mileage situation, and my van tow vehicle will probably last for years. Not too bad a trade off.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
The 1965 Lincoln should handle the Overland easily, I find that it is easier to tow with my 1977 Lincoln than the 1973 Dodge PowerWagon, due to the larger more powerful engine and the softer suspension. The only issue with the 60's Lincoln's is the unibody construction and finding a shop which can correctly fabricate a hitch, you probably won't find a bolt on hitch anywhere.

The Lincoln also has the torque peak at about 60MPH and a lot more than the Dodge.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Hey, YES, that's what I wanted to hear...

That's funny, because I was looking at a 60's Dodge station wagon too. ; )

So, you haven't had any transmission problems or overheating problems with your Lincoln?

So, you're saying I'd have to have a custom towing package made for it?
Old 05-20-2005, 11:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
That's funny, because I was looking at a 60's Dodge station wagon too. ; )

So, you haven't had any transmission problems or overheating problems with your Lincoln?

So, you're saying I'd have to have a custom towing package made for it?
I had a large transmission cooler installed along with the hitch. I had a custom hitch manufactured mainly because I did not want to install it. Been towing for a little over a year with the Lincoln and no problems.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 05-21-2005, 12:54 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
What about....

The Fords ? I have a 1995 f 250 with a 460 engine in it. I have found it to be an excellent towing vehicle. Yes, it is a bit thirsty when towing thru the hills. It seems to have no problem keeping hiway speed even uphill. I do know that regular oil changes are very important on these engines. Ford had an oiling problem early on with the 460 engines, not getting enough on the top end. I think they solved that with the later models ( larger oil passages ). I change mine every 3k. I could not ask for a more reliable towing vehicle. I have had it loaded down with a horse trailer (2 1500 lb horses plus trlr weight & gear). Hardly knew it was back there, unless the horses got a bit excited. I feel that I could drive cross country tomorrow and not have a second thought about it. I would be leary of towing with anything less than a 3/4 ton Ford or Suburban. You have the weight ahead of the trailer ( my p/u weighs in at 6700 lbs, its a fwd ) . It tows my Caravel very nicely even without the weight distributing bars. I didn't sway at all when I picked it up. Maybe when I upgrade to an Overlander or something a bit bigger, I'll notice the difference.

I have read on the forums about some people towing with a 90-95,97? Toyota suv. They are lightly sprung in the rear and at the very least you should use weight distributing hitches with them. However, the imports that are coming out now seem to have the kahones' to handle a larger AS than they did before.

Anyway, just my 2 cents !!!
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #33
Craftsman

I bought a 2001 2500 Suburban with the 8.1 litre engine. It had 36K on the clock but looked new. I think that this is the same engine Airstream will be using in the new Classic motorhome. I can't say enough good about this engine. It has loads of power. Going up even steep hills, towing a 31' Airstream it never feels like it's straining. The only drawback is at the pumps.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:22 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

I was definitely headed in the direction of buying a Ford F250, but read Kevin's excerpts about the Suburban. Now I'm torn. For anyone who is reading this string of notes, here is the link for the Lincoln I'm thinking about buying: http://www.musclecars-and-classics.c..._Lincoln_1.htm

As you can tell, I'm all over the place right now; just want to get my BABY HOME!!!!!!! (Which involves 1800 miles-- 200 through the Appalachian Mtns.) <gulp>
Old 05-21-2005, 09:18 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What tow vehicle would you suggest?

Greetings 63 princess!

Quote:
The '65 Lincoln Continental should be able to handle a '63 Overlander with few problems. The biggest expense (if it hasn't already been done) will be having the heads fitted with hardened valve seats -- the engine was designed for leaded fuel and will be subject to severe problems with valve recision if utilized for towing without the inserts. I had my '65 Dodge Coronet's 383 cubic inch V8 fitted with the hardened valve seats way back in 1980 after experiencing valve recision after less than 1,000 miles of towing my 4,000 pound Nomad travel trailer -- in 1980, the cost to have a mechanic remove the heads, machine shop labor for the inserts, and new valves was nearly $2,000. Most US manufacturers made the hardened valve seats standard between 1970 and 1972.

The biggest plus with a car like the Lincoln is the ability to have the axle ratio changed -- something that is virtually impossible with the front wheel drive Eldorados and Tornados -- I was quoted more than $1,800 in parts alone to switch my Eldorado from 2.70 final drive to the 3.07 final drive (the only other available ratio).

Even with a low mileage, original vehicle, you will need to be prepared for a signficant number of upgrades to insure dependable towing service. Based on having equipped two different vintage (1965 and 1975) automobiles for towing, I would expect at the very least to have the radiator rodded out (and recored if it isn't a heavy duty 4-row core), new hydraulic brake lines (unless there is good evidence that they have been replaced in the last five or six years), a quality rebuilt brake master cylinder as well as wheel cylinders (I tried to skimp in this regard on my '65 and ended up blowing the seals in both the master cylinder and a wheel cylinder on the first outing with the Nomad), a thorough check of the electric system (my '65 needed a heavier alternator to supply the needs of towing -- electric trailer brakes and 12-volt charge), new or rebuilt springs (front and rear), new shock absorbers, new bushings in front suspension; and as with any tow vehicle, you will need a transmission fluid cooler, class IV receiver hitch, electronic brake controller, and Bargman 7-Pole connector.

In all likelihood, your greatest headache would be finding someone to fabricate a hitch. Many welders virtually refuse to fabricate trailer hitches. I searched for months to find a welder who was willing to fabricate a hitch for my '75 Eldorado -- finally resorted to asking each of the automotive professionals that I frequented for repairs on my vehicles and finally received a referral to a welder who was quite adept at the process.

Something that should be checked if the Lincoln should happen to have torsion bar front suspension is the condition of the the bars, attachment points, and adjusters -- problems with the torsion bars on my Eldorado kept it out of service for more than a year while I located someone who could fabricate new adjustment mechanisms since the parts were obsolete and couldn't be located as NOS anywhere that I searched.

I don't intend to discourage you from pursuing a Vintage tow vehicle, but it is a decision that needs to be made with full knowledge of what might be involved. I haven't regretted fitting out either of my Vintage tow vehicles, but for what I have invested in the Eldorado, I could have had a similar Vintage IHC Travelall, Jeep Wagoneer, or Suburban that wouldn't have required as many modifications.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Question

Definately get a 3/4 ton vehicle designed for towing. You need a heavy duty towing frame like a 3/4 vehicle provides. Personally, anything less is inadequate. The bigger the engine the better. Ideally, a diesel engine has more torque than a gas engine. You need engine torque when going uphill. You also need heavy duty suspension in your vehicle, and an optimal rear end ratio designed for towing.
PKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:41 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
We are adding a second pug to the family and our regular cab Dodge Diesel won't cut it for carrying 2 dogs with us. I found a 2003 Ford E-350 Chateau van with the V-10 and 4.10 gears with 25K miles totally tricked out for towing including tow mirrors for $15.5K. It has Quad captain chairs and a rear bench for 7 passenger seating. It is rated to tow 10,000 lbs.

We pick it up tomorrow and are putting a sale sign on the Dodge Diesel.
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:33 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fort Collins , Colorado
Hot deals on Dura Max

Am visiting my father in Iowa. Stopped by the local Chevy dealership to look up an old friend. Found that they are having an unbelievable sale on all their tow vehicles. They have all their 2500 DuraMax pick ups discounted about $10,000. I can purchase a fairly loaded crew cabtruck (everything but has cloth seats) for $32,249, out the door plus tax.
There are 2500 gas crew cabs for $27,000.
Friend says it is nationwidw but probably not honored in areas where they sell a lot of trucks. Check it out , sale lasts till 7/5.
Looked on autotrader.com and could not find any used 04 or 05 for less than $34,000 comparably equiped.
kenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
No, no, no...

Get a HUMMER! H2

Cruise in style!
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
No, no, no...

Get a HUMMER! H2

Cruise in style!
Cruise in style, ha. There is no style like a 1977 Lincoln Town Car and an Airstream.

Bill
Just my personal opinion