Old 03-11-2003, 02:54 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What to tow a minuet with?

Greetings Stephanie!

You mention in one of your posts that your husband may be a bit of an "uneasy traveler" with the Minuet in tow. While it might not be your tow vehicle of first choice, this is one area where a tow vehicle with higher seating can be a plus (such as a van, sport utility, or pickup). The Minuet has what can be best described as a "see through" design as do most of the Vintage Airstream Products. If the trailer doesn't have a front rock guard or if the rock guard is of clear material; you have a straight line of sight from the interior rear view mirror of the tow vehicle through the rear window of the trailer - - I have this with my Suburban and enjoyed the same with my previous tow vehciles including a 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer and a 1999 Chevrolet K1500 Club Cab pickup - - it doesn't work with either of my cars as the seating position is too low. It is actually quite nice to be able to quickly scan the rear view mirror and know precisely what is behind you as well as have a much clearer idea of what is approaching in the lane behind the trailer. This feature along with a good set of auxilliary rear view mirrors for the side of the tow vehicle and you have a very secure sense of control while towing.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 03:29 PM   #16
Obsessed with Moonunit
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado

One thing about the AS that has much in its favor (my thinking) is its shape. As I said in earlier post, when my husband picked up our Minuet - it had no sway control, no special tow pkg, no brake system - the trailer sat on its ball hitch with a couple chains attached, thats all. He had absolutely no problems thru Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska and into Colorado. He even commented on it being Big Rig Country around Illinois (he had never seen so many on the road, back to back to back, etc). Not that I would allow him to leave it that way, and I would have been white knuckled on that trip.
As far as the "Lil Dragin", our moving trailer - the trooper said I hydroplaned on the water and that caused the trailer to start its sway. I'm sure its weight was unevenly distributed (we were young and clueless) and of course it wasn't a deluxe model!! Take some time to consider and get what makes you feel safest. Leigh

COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 03:38 PM   #17
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Looks to me like there is some great info here. From re-reading the posts, a small V8 would do you wonders for your Minuet.

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
Manitou Springs , Colorado
Towing your Argosy Minuet

We tow our '72 Argosy 20 behind a '06 Toyota Tacoma 4 door crew cab long bed set up for towing ( 4 litre 6 cyl. Turbo, big brakes, big wheels, factory hitch} Even in Kansas' 50 mph crosswinds it towed like a fanny pack!! The long wheel base makes for a much more secure feeling especially at higher speeds - off-setting it's slightly awkward turning capacity. I don't know if I'd feel safe with a smaller rig, even with your lighter Minuet. Keep 'Streamin'. Don

Don Doucette is offline   Reply With Quote