Old 03-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Airstream fanatic
1979 31' Sovereign
Bouse , Arizona
what kind of tv???

Newbie question!!!

What kind of car/truck/SUV can properly tow my 1979 31' Sovereign AS? And would I need a new hitch?

1979 Sovereign International (Olivia)
1986 F-250 4X4 (Oscar)
Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master
You need to know the weight of your trailer.
Newer AS's have the dry weight and gvw posted. Mine is inside the streetside closet door. You may have to weigh your vintage trailer. Be sure to add 1500 pounds for water, propane, and other cargo.
There are lots of threads about suitable tow vehicles. I am most comfortable with a larger vehicle with a towing capacity well over the gvw of the trailer but I tow in the mountains and in Mexico on rough two lane roads. Others like a vehicle that is comfortable to drive solo, even if towing is a stretch.
Do you need a hitch? You are not giving us much information. Do you have a hitch on your vintage trailer. I would start with trying to use that. Take a picture and go to a good hitch person and see if it can be made to work.
You do need a weight distributing hitch with sway control whether it is new or what you have. Even a new one will only set you back $500 or so. I have an Equalizer and it has worked fine for me. Reese's are similar. There are lots of threads about other brands.
Good luck, I am sure you will sort it all out.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote