Old 02-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
What kind of CB radio/antenna

Howdy Y'all

I've been looking at the Cobra CB that has everything in the handset for my Excursion. I like it because the main unit is allowed to fit anywhere under the dash, and therefore doesn't have to crowd the area nearer the driver. I know nothing about this radio's reliability, so I would welcome any input.

I already have a portable, roof mounted antenna. I have been thinking of getting one that is a permanent mount, but I've got questions. Where should it be mounted? When I got my first CB they installed a window type antenna. This worked until I hooked up the trailer. Once the trailer was in tow I lost reception behind me because of the trailer's height. Is there a permanent style antenna that, once mounted, may be unscrewed from it's base in the rare instance I treat the Ex to a "pro" car wash?

_________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
CB Antenna

I use a Fire Stick mounted between the hood and the left fender. It screws off for the car wash and gives good broadcast and reception. The mount is availible at most CB shops.
I have the Cobra Clasic and it has been tweeked.

Gunny

Old 02-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Careful- everything Gunny has, has been tweeked!
I use a 20 year old cb with a magnetic roof mount antenna, works on the burb just fine, fwiw.
Semper Fi
DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I run a Cobra Nightwatch 25 with the weatherband, and a Wilson 5' Silver Tune antenna, with folding mount and homemade bracket. I can transmit and receive 7-10 miles on a consistent basis. I've been really happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0004.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	54283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0007.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	54284  

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Careful- everything Gunny has, has been tweeked!
I use a 20 year old cb with a magnetic roof mount antenna, works on the burb just fine, fwiw.
Semper Fi
DG
Those old radios are hard to beat. I have a Royce 1-682 and a 1-604 that I'll sometimes use in other vehicles that are pretty sweet. I have a Wilson "Lil Wil" that I run with them.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
A friend gave us a Cobra 19DX IV as a gift and it should be fine for our needs. Just to keep in touch with others in our caravans and to check-in at rallies with the parking attendants. We picked up a Radio Shack magnetic antenna but we can't receive much and so far no one on the highways has returned any of my radio checks. I am thinking we may need a better antenna.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
you have to actually plug the antenna INto the radio.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyusmc
I have the Cobra Clasic and it has been tweeked.
What does that mean to "tweak" a CB? If "tweaking" means boosting range...please share...I'd love to get more of a range from my unit.

We installed ours in an unused storage compartment in the center of the dash and use a roof mounted antennae with a range of 2-3 miles on the flats.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
In all seriousness, now...

I was googling this sort of thing, and it seems that cb antennas do require a fair amount of adjustment to "optimize" their effectiveness, based on their length and placement on the vehicle. This is because the vehicle itself is part of the "system" that transmits/receives signals. Problem seems that in order to properly tune the antenna, you need a device (swr meter) that only a real radio geek or pro radio shop would have. (as far as I can tell).
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
In all seriousness, now...

I was googling this sort of thing, and it seems that cb antennas do require a fair amount of adjustment to "optimize" their effectiveness, based on their length and placement on the vehicle. This is because the vehicle itself is part of the "system" that transmits/receives signals. Problem seems that in order to properly tune the antenna, you need a device (swr meter) that only a real radio geek or pro radio shop would have. (as far as I can tell).
Actually, you can pick up an inexpensive SWR meter that will be more than adequate to the task for around $20 many places online, and places like Fry's still carry them. Radio Shack used to, but not so much anymore.

Antennas typically do have to be tuned to some extent in order to get the best performance. Also, it's a generally held opinion that a mediocre radio with a good, well-tuned antenna is better than a good, well-tuned radio with a mediocre antenna.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
you have to actually plug the antenna INto the radio.

Do you mean the antenna wire to the back of the unit or the red wire to something else?
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake315
Also, it's a generally held opinion that a mediocre radio with a good, well-tuned antenna is better than a good, well-tuned radio with a mediocre antenna.
The manual did not mention anything about how to tune an antenna. I did pick up a new non-ground antenna which should work better but I have to make something to mount it to the truck. I hope it gets a little warmer so I can do it soon. Sort of like having a new toy and no batteries. Now about that red wire?
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Old 02-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
What does that mean to "tweak" a CB? If "tweaking" means boosting range...please share...I'd love to get more of a range from my unit.

We installed ours in an unused storage compartment in the center of the dash and use a roof mounted antennae with a range of 2-3 miles on the flats.
You can do what's called a "peak and tune" on a radio, where it's effectively adjusted from whatever settings it came with from the manufacturer. Unfortunately, good CB radio work is becoming somewhat of a lost art, and you have to be really careful about who you let work on it. There are good guys, and there are those that turn out some real hatchet jobs.

Odds are, you could probably spend a few bucks on a nicer antenna, tune it to the proper height, and more than double your present range.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
The manual did not mention anything about how to tune an antenna. I did pick up a new non-ground antenna which should work better but I have to make something to mount it to the truck. I hope it gets a little warmer so I can do it soon. Sort of like having a new toy and no batteries. Now about that red wire?
Typically, the coaxial cable that runs from the antenna to the CB will only connect one way to the radio. The black lead from the radio would be the ground for the radio, the red needs to go to a "clean" source of 12-13.8 volts of DC. By clean, I mean on a circuit that isn't affected by things like alternator whine, and so forth. It's common to use a cigarette lighter type of connection, but a dedicated circuit is always a best bet if you can swing it.

The no ground antennas are a good option if you are stuck with a mounting location that doesn't leave you with a convenient means of grounding the antenna.

There are a couple of sites out there with detailed tuning instructions... I'll see if I can find one for you....

Firestik has a good writeup on SWR tuning here.

I used this guy for peak and tune on my Cobra. He's conscientious, and does good work.