View Poll Results: For those towing 25 or larger;
Have you previously towed your current camper with any or 1 ton (Dodge, Ford, and GM) and moved to any ton vehicle? 5 29.41%
Moving to a 1/2 ton truck from a 3/4 ton truck was a good move. 14 82.35%
Moving to a 1/2 ton truck from a 3/4 ton truck was the worst thing I did. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
uwe, what did that 71 TW weigh?

Still haven't heard from anyone towing heavyweights yet...

I would not expect a noticeable difference with the lighter/vintage units, but over 6000# or so I would think it would be dramatic.
I'm with Denis4x4, towed the Excella once with the 1/2 ton and ran to the dealer to get a bigger truck.

Interesting responses though...

Thanx, Bill

Old 01-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex

Thanx, Bill
You said 25' or longer, you've had at least two.

Some will, but most of your "heavyweights" (31', 34') won't be using a 1/2 ton.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:

I would not expect a noticeable difference with the lighter/vintage units, but over 6000# or so I would think it would be dramatic.
I'm with Denis4x4, towed the Excella once with the 1/2 ton and ran to the dealer to get a bigger truck.

Thanx, Bill
Bill, it was rated at 5600lbs max. I never actually weighed it.
The Overlander weighs about 5300lbs travel ready. My 1/2 tons tow and stop that with ease. I road tested all the 3/4 ton vehicles before buying the current 1/2 ton. The difference in comfort and ride quality is like night and day in favor of the half ton. However, in all but the steepes hills or worst conditions, the 1/2 ton always keeps up with my friends larger trucks, whatever they might be. However, here again, my friends own newer and heavier trailers. It all depends on what you expect, and where you want to go, and how fast. I would definitely not trade up from my current setup. I know a few people that really travel a lot with their new (6500lbs+)Safaris, and are perfectly content with their 1/2 ton pickups.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:14 PM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
The difference in comfort and ride quality is like night and day in favor of the half ton. However, in all but the steepes hills or worst conditions, the 1/2 ton always keeps up with my friends larger trucks, whatever they might be. However, here again, my friends own newer and heavier trailers. It all depends on what you expect, and where you want to go, and how fast. I would definitely not trade up from my current setup. I know a few people that really travel a lot with their new (6500lbs+)Safaris, and are perfectly content with their 1/2 ton pickups.
No arguing on the ride quality. Unloaded, the 3/4 ton is tough. I air down the tires off season to help. But the truck is not a daily driver, primarily does tow duty and other ski/kayak/adventure trips.

Everyone has a different comfort level while towing. That one trip trip with the 1/2 ton Suburban scared the pants off me.

Wonder what the new small diesel 1/2 tons will yield for payload numbers?

Hoping to gather some good data with this poll...

Bill
Old 01-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
1968 22' Safari
Clarksville , Indiana
I Have A 1991 34' Limited That I Pulled For The First Time With An 05' F150 4x4. I Pulled It Over 500 Miles With Not One Incident. The 150 Has The Power And The Stability To Do The Job. Two Main Keys To A Good Pull Are (1) A Good Hitch Preferably A Hensley (2) A Good Controller. These I Gaurantee Will Make For An Enjoyable Trip.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Bill, it was rated at 5600lbs max. I never actually weighed it.
The Overlander weighs about 5300lbs travel ready. My 1/2 tons tow and stop that with ease. I road tested all the 3/4 ton vehicles before buying the current 1/2 ton. The difference in comfort and ride quality is like night and day in favor of the half ton. However, in all but the steepes hills or worst conditions, the 1/2 ton always keeps up with my friends larger trucks, whatever they might be. However, here again, my friends own newer and heavier trailers. It all depends on what you expect, and where you want to go, and how fast. I would definitely not trade up from my current setup. I know a few people that really travel a lot with their new (6500lbs+)Safaris, and are perfectly content with their 1/2 ton pickups.
Yep, Uwe's new set up is sweet. We followed him on an extended run to Nor Cal and I had trouble keeping up with him in the new Suburban. His rig clearly out-handled ours (a F250 PSD, CrewCab) in the hills. We had a bunch more power, but Uwe still led the way. Of course he does have a "vintage" under 6000 lbs and it is mechanically and visually perfect.

Bill, I think maybe you should have qualified the weight and not just the length in your thread's title. As I have posted previously, I consider the 7000 lb mark to be the centerline between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton TV, and of course even that perspective is qualified by the specific use and needs of the owner.

I do think the theme of your thread will bring out helpful information for all of us, especially newcomers.

time
Old 01-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
That one trip trip with the 1/2 ton Suburban scared the pants off me.

Bill
Bill, can you expand on your negative experience. What part of the ride made it scary?? Can you give us details on the setup etc. thnxs
Old 01-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'd be interested as well.
I towed my 25' Safari from CA to yellowstone and back without incident. I would call it relaxed.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
Towed out 31' Sovereign from Portland, Oregon --Denver--Zion NP acrossed Nevada back home to Canby Oregon 3100+ miles with Crysler Aspen NOt one bit of trouble and I would tow it anywhere now in a heartbeat..
Ted
Old 01-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #24
Ham KI4HJX

1982 27' Excella
1970 23' Safari
Franklin , 28734
I started out with a ford F150 4x4 it would pull the 27ft. but above 55mph it felt a little funny. Now I tow with a Chevy Duramax 2500 HD. I love this truck and would never go back to a half ton. The heavy duty has the same brakes as a ton and the Allison trany is super. I tried out a ton Ford but did not like the extra width and the lower axle ratio. Used to much fule. I get 20mpg on my 2002 Duramax.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #25
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
Bill, can you expand on your negative experience. What part of the ride made it scary?? Can you give us details on the setup etc. thnxs
I summed up my towing experience a while back here; http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ice-28886.html

To date, Uwe is the only one that has responded who has actually traded down to a 1/2 ton.
Others have some experience (Dave for example) but not owned both.

I also subscribe to a ~6000# weight limit for a 1/2 ton if you are doing lots of miles. Close to home, you may get by with more weight...
I think must of us know the vintage units, and new Safaris, are much lighter. Trying to put too much info in the poll makes it klugey also?
I had hope responders would elaborate in their posts...

A while ago, 3/4 and 1 tons had the edge;
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...ting-2893.html

We'll see what happens now. Not sure the poll is being interpereted or responded to correctly as the tally does not correspond with the posts. Oh well, maybe the curve will smooth out with more data.

Meanwhile, the silence is deafening here;
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post502252

Thanx for the input,
Bill
Old 01-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
I just picked up a 2005 2500 HD 4x4 WT crew cab. The WT is for work truck which means this baby is basic. Vinyl floors and hand crank windows but only 26000 miles and REAL clean. I sacrificed the extras to get to this 2500 which I felt I needed. My plan is to retire in about 5 years. For now we will be taking shorter trips....maybe a desiel when we go more full time someday....hey buy at least we feel we have a decent setup now with a newer vehicle with more capability. I appreciate all the info found here. Did bring my 27FB Classic (dry) down from Vermont to PA with a 1997 150 Econoline 3 months ago, It has 2 extra leaf springs in the rear. It did OK but few mountains on the trip and no water on gear on board the classic. The 2500 definately rides differently than my 150 Ford Van. The 2007 Classic is in storage for the winter...cant wait to try this truck out with her in the spring!

Jim
Old 01-11-2008, 09:10 PM   #27
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
To date, Uwe is the only one that has responded who has actually traded down to a 1/2 ton.
Others have some experience (Dave for example) but not owned both.

A while ago, 3/4 and 1 tons had the edge;
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...ting-2893.html

We'll see what happens now. Not sure the poll is being interpereted or responded to correctly as the tally does not correspond with the posts. Oh well, maybe the curve will smooth out with more data.

Meanwhile, the silence is deafening here;
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post502252

Thanx for the input,
Bill
Actually, Time traded down from a F250PSD to a Dodge 1/2 ton pickup.
I think a lot of the preferences of forum members that favor 3/4ton or 1 ton pickups or SUV's stems from old school thinking. Old school was 10 years ago, when 1/2 ton vehicles had much smaller brakes, and were closer to the 1/2 ton idea than nowadays.
I recently upgraded my Suburban from a 1997 1500/2wd to a 2007 1500/2wd, and the difference is ridiculous. There is nothing in the 07 that even closely resembles the 1997. The 97 was a great truck, but it decided to not stop in time and rear end a jacked up Ford, resulting in an economic total loss.
The new Suburban is quite capable as a tow vehicle. I would have to say that it would be ok to tow up to the stated limit. It certainly doesn't seem to be bothered much by the 5300lbs my Overlander weighs. It is very gentle on the tongue of my Overlander, with a minimum of freeway hop, if any. There are too many variables, though, to blindly point at a vehicle, and proclaim it to be the ideal for everybody. This one just happens to push my buttons.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #28
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Actually, Time traded down from a F250PSD to a Dodge 1/2 ton pickup.
I think a lot of the preferences of forum members that favor 3/4ton or 1 ton pickups or SUV's stems from old school thinking. Old school was 10 years ago, when 1/2 ton vehicles had much smaller brakes, and were closer to the 1/2 ton idea than nowadays.
I recently upgraded my Suburban from a 1997 1500/2wd to a 2007 1500/2wd, and the difference is ridiculous. There is nothing in the 07 that even closely resembles the 1997. The 97 was a great truck, but it decided to not stop in time and rear end a jacked up Ford, resulting in an economic total loss.
The new Suburban is quite capable as a tow vehicle. I would have to say that it would be ok to tow up to the stated limit. It certainly doesn't seem to be bothered much by the 5300lbs my Overlander weighs. It is very gentle on the tongue of my Overlander, with a minimum of freeway hop, if any. There are too many variables, though, to blindly point at a vehicle, and proclaim it to be the ideal for everybody. This one just happens to push my buttons.
Uwe, I followed the saga of your tragic accident...thank God you or your family were not injured.
We had 2 Suburbans, an 01 and an 04, both of which have higher payload and tow capacity than the latest version. The brakes do seem to improve with each iteration though. I love Suburbans, but I was not at all comfortable towing the Excella with a 1/2 ton. I guess everyone has their own idea of what is sufficient. I would rather have more than I need, than need more than I have. With the 3/4 ton, we never have to worry about what we carry. I often load up; bikes, fire wood, kayaks, porta-bote plus engine, and 50 gals fresh H20. There is no way I could do this with the Excella and a 1/2 ton.
After I sold my business, I could not justify having more than one large vehicle so we consoldated to the D/A CC. If fuel weren't so darn $ we would have kept one of the Suburbans also (the Wife got a Park Ave- supercharged 240 hp V6, 30 mpg highway-very nice!).

I thought time went to a gasser 3/4 ton?

Bill