Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Nothing wrong with either a truck or an SUV. Pick your poison.

Though each is geared to be relatively better at certain jobs. Not to say either couldn't tow with the right setup.

Trucks are traditionally built for more load bearing work. Solid axles generally do better in this regard, with better durability and function when abused. SUVs are more geared to carrying people where comfort and handling are more a priority.

It's well recognized that independent suspension can be relatively better riding and handling. But that's not in all cases, especially when loaded and abused. When independent suspensions are loaded significantly towards the edge of their load envelop/spring capacity, such that it squats, toe and camber get way out of alignment, and tire wear and handling go out the window. Ever see a lowered car with wheels way out of square with the road? Independent suspensions do that. Solid axles always stay square with the road. Outside of durability, this is a major reason heavy trucks tailored for hauling work don't use independent suspensions.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Why post when DKottum has already nailed it.

But about independent suspension: this is not a work vehicle expected to tow an ungainly trailer 5-days weekly and 50-weeks annually. It's a vacationer giving it limited use in that function.

So long as axle/tire/wheel ratings are respected, the reason to have this design is superior stability.

Not to go backwards to a crude design, but high-profit pickup. Which are rollover prone in the best of circumstances. Towing makes that worse.

The "ideal" tow vehicle is the one that BEST suits solo duty

AND

Can also tow the AS of choice.

There are plenty of choices of vehicle types (not just those mentioned).

The EL version Expedition makes a good default choice for a family.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #43
1 Rivet Member

deleteme , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I drove the aluminum Ford in our corporate fleet 600 miles last week and it rode glassy smooth. This week I took our new Silverado. A little harsher ride but still amazingly smooth.
You drove a new 2018 Expedition??

I can't find any specs on them so i thought they weren't out yet.

Any chance you peaked at the payload in the doorjam??
homeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:49 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeaway View Post
You drove a new 2018 Expedition??

I can't find any specs on them so i thought they weren't out yet.

Any chance you peaked at the payload in the doorjam??
I wish! No, our fleet is all crew cab pickups.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
THAT'S not a "Jake-Brake"! It's called "tow-haul".
I have it too and don't like it.
I shift manually, using the little buttons on the shifter side; AND I NEVER use sixth gear. Too long legged, and I do not want to damage the engine due to 'lugging'.
A "Jake-Brake" is used in diesels to use the engine compression to slow down the rig. Very effective.
What I do, when going downhill, is shift down to third, and turn on the air-conditioner on 'high'. The compressor adds extra drag, and frequently I can go downhill without touching the brakes.
THIS on a Ford f-150 3.5l Ecoboost.

Trailer Trash in a Mobile Tin Can Shed.
Sorry....wrong termanology.....we still like it. To each his own. That's why there are hundreds of opinions on Tow Vehicles.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:13 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lumberton , Mississippi
Send a message via ICQ to Lyman
Guess everyone has a different idea of tow vehicles and loads. I guess I am luckcy because in 15 years of towing I have never once been concerned with weight. I have a 2000 Dodge 3500 dually diesel. I have pulled 4 different size 5th wheels and hauled a 11 foot Lange truck camper with a tow car behind. So when we decided AS was for us got a 30 foot 2017 Classic. Have a 8 foot box with cover on it so loaded to top and never a concern about weight. I would go big on the truck and have it never know what you might want to tow 10 years from now.
Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Just goes to prove that everyone prioritizes different things, which leads us to different decisions.

Sure wish the tone of these boards were more about collectively helping each other make our own setups better. Within the parameters of that particular persons needs and wants.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #48
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Just goes to prove that everyone prioritizes different things, which leads us to different decisions.

Sure wish the tone of these boards were more about collectively helping each other make our own setups better. Within the parameters of that particular persons needs and wants.
You may come to note that those who do get scale tickets and pics of the hitch rigging receive just that help in those threads. Optimization as well as other eyes can help. The best basic starting point. From there it's TV tire pressure, and then testing to further improve the combined rig performance. Brake controller settings and "even" drum performance; fuel economy, etc, are all part of that optimization.

The second part is diagnosis. A few years down the line and the rig isn't acting "right". But without a numerical baseline from which to work, diagnosis becomes a guessing game. BoondockDad (FinalcutJoe) had an excellent thread to illustrate this aspect of ownership/operation.

Most aren't interested.

Which is why we see poorly-matched rigs with the 25' TT bouncing along on the front axle at 70-mph ("my 3/4T is great!"), and refusal to believe that it could be better. Or their family better served by an TV appropriate to solo duty.

Intimidatiing? It's none of it so hard it can't be worked out on ones own with some advice, with a shop, or a patient friend.

Those threads about hitch set-up may be worth your while. SteveSueMac had one not so long ago.

As "needs vs. wants" are confusing for too many, it's why things get derailed. Can't distinguish between the two.

So one might desire that aimless wishes about the collective were first checked against a reading of what's been posted in years past.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote