Old 09-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
We have a 2014 Flying Cloud Front Bedroom with solar. It came off the line in Jackson Center with a tongue weight of 925 lbs. This spring I had it weighed at Jackson Center with its normal cargo. Total weight was 6501 but the tongue weight was 1252, or 252 over Airstream's recommended max. I tow with at 2013 F-150 Ecoboost with Max Tow and Max Cargo. It feels fine but with an Andersen hitch its drive axle and tires were over loaded by about 400 lbs. I switched to a Blue Ox with 1500 lb. bars. With "3 links showing" the drive axle was about 100 lbs (4140 lbs.). over with a lighter than usual load. With 1 link showing and a more normal load the drive axle is about 140 lbs. over (4240 lbs.). The change to one link transferred about 200 lbs. to the trailer and made its ride unacceptably harsh. No additional weight was transferred to the steer axle. So far Blue Ox has declined to explain why no weight went forward. The truck feels like it's fine but we are going to Alaska next year and I've decided to replace it with a 3/4 ton diesel. And I hope to go back to the Andersen...we'll see.

We have friends who own a 2015 FC25Rear Bedroom. Their loaded tongue weight is about 800 lbs. which I think is a bit lighter that it's empty weight. Most of the exterior storage in the FC25RB in in the rear.

I think my rig is slightly less affected by wind and semis with the Blue Ox. It was good with the Andersen too. You will probably want a long, stout breaker bar and 1" socket to lever the bars up. The wrench Blue Ox provides is kind of a joke for what I have.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:46 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillfromWI View Post
We have a 2014 Flying Cloud Front Bedroom with solar. It came off the line in Jackson Center with a tongue weight of 925 lbs. This spring I had it weighed at Jackson Center with its normal cargo. Total weight was 6501 but the tongue weight was 1252, or 252 over Airstream's recommended max. I tow with at 2013 F-150 Ecoboost with Max Tow and Max Cargo. It feels fine but with an Andersen hitch its drive axle and tires were over loaded by about 400 lbs. I switched to a Blue Ox with 1500 lb. bars. With "3 links showing" the drive axle was about 100 lbs (4140 lbs.). over with a lighter than usual load. With 1 link showing and a more normal load the drive axle is about 140 lbs. over (4240 lbs.). The change to one link transferred about 200 lbs. to the trailer and made its ride unacceptably harsh. No additional weight was transferred to the steer axle. So far Blue Ox has declined to explain why no weight went forward. The truck feels like it's fine but we are going to Alaska next year and I've decided to replace it with a 3/4 ton diesel. And I hope to go back to the Andersen...we'll see.
Did Jackson Center weigh the individual tires or axles? I have weighed my trailer on a CAT scale but I have never gotten the separate tire weights. I'd like to know if JC has that ability. For loading purposes, I would like to know my left/right balance.

FWIW, I have a 2013 25FB with aftermarket awnings, solar, inverter, and upgraded batteries. My trailer total weight is 6760 with full water, empty waste tanks, and normal gear and food on board. I don't have an exact tongue weight on mine, but I know it is less than yours.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If you are going to pur. new tow vehicle spec trailer tow package, will have trans cooler,other musts for towing. Word of caution do not listen to sale pers. that consider themselves experts about towing and what is needed. It happened to me when I specked a 1 ton chev. all things I wanted they did except I specified 373 rear ratio with 454 eng., sales man thought I didn't no any thing so changed to 411 ratio, not to happy refused deliv. unless changed ratio, but could not, at the time I have pulled trailers many years longer than his age. So research what you desire and stick with it when pur. tv, if they hassle go to another dealer, if it comes in to dealer wrong walk away find one that will order what you desire. I did not do because I pur. at dealers large loss, but huge mistake my part never was happy with truck, never did bus. with them again. That was in 1978.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I don't know about the newer trucks, but on my 2006 F-150 the HD transmission cooler was well forward of the radiator and AC condenser. I had to climb an 8% grade at about 25 mph. Transmission temperature went up to 234 degrees and the truck lost power. My conclusion was there was not enough air flow over the cooler. I was going to install an "active" cooler, i.e. one with its own fan but ended up trading for a Ram diesel. If your cooler doesn't have its own fan I'd suggest adding one that does.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:19 PM   #19

Osoyoos , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Welcome to the Forums!

You have asked a question that stirs a lot of very passionate debate here.

When it comes to tow vehicle/trailer combos, hitch setups, brake controllers, tires and wheels, and even the best time of year for camping all of us seem to have our own opinion.

Some prefer smaller trailers and vehicles, some like larger.

If you are coming from an large rig with lots of storage, the first change is the reduced amount of storage in an Airstream. Especially for anything "dirty". Airstreams don't have basements.

Grills and the fuel, chairs and a table, and ice chests are just a few of the things I don't like to haul inside the living space.

There are no onboard generators in these trailers and you mention finding spots that you could not visit in your motorhome. So, you will probably want a portable gen set and fuel to boondock in a nice remote spot somewhere.

These also have to have a place to travel.

Like I say, folks deal with these concerns in lots of ways and some manage in mini vans, sedans, and SUVs.

Some of us prefer pickups.

Some like smaller power and some like diesels.

If you like being able to travel where you want, when you want, and with what you want the rig you suggest seems a under powered and limited to me.

But as I mentioned, like those who have commented before me, this is simply my opinion.

Regards,

JD
Thank you to everyone for your valued input. In particular, thanks to JD.
Your post really got me thinking and after a visit to our AS dealer and getting a better feel for the product, we have come to the conclusion that we will stay with what we have.
The AS is a beautiful machine but it is a completely different mode than we are accustomed to. Once we did the touchy-feely thing, it became clear it's not for us. Thanks again JD for your comments.

How did people make these decisions in the Good Old Days without forums like this?
Old 09-13-2015, 06:09 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Did Jackson Center weigh the individual tires or axles? I have weighed my trailer on a CAT scale but I have never gotten the separate tire weights. I'd like to know if JC has that ability. For loading purposes, I would like to know my left/right balance.

FWIW, I have a 2013 25FB with aftermarket awnings, solar, inverter, and upgraded batteries. My trailer total weight is 6760 with full water, empty waste tanks, and normal gear and food on board. I don't have an exact tongue weight on mine, but I know it is less than yours.

Jackson Center weighed the loaded road side as 2506 and the curb side as 2743.

When it came off the line the road side was 2336 and the curb side was 2495.

As you can see, we have not tried to compensate for the manufactured imbalance, but our loading side-to-side is pretty equal (dumb luck).

It would be another mystery if your FB tongue weight is less than mine.

BTW, when I got home from Jackson Center I weighed the tongue with a Sherline scale before we removed anything. It should have weighed close to the same 1252 but it was 1150; about 8% low.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The Expedition Ecoboost and 25' Airstream are a near perfectly matched combination.
"Near perfectly matched"... ONLY if the Expedition allows the OP to carry the cargo that they wish to carry, without exceeding the limits of the Expedition. Without knowing what the OP's cargo capacity needs are (in both weight AND space required), one cannot confidently state that the pairing is "near perfect". Nope! Ask the OP what their needs are in cargo capacity (both weight and space) before declaring a "perfect match" with any tow vehicle, car, SUV, truck, whatever.

Quote:
The big deal (and you'll see too much of it made here) with medium sized combinations is cargo carrying capacity.
Too much is made of selecting a tow vehicle which has adequate cargo capacity for an individual's needs? Rubbish. These are important considerations when matching a tow vehicle with the cargo that any individual wishes to have with them! Too much is NOT made of matching capacities well.

Quote:
Stay within load limits on the truck and trailer axles and tires. Plenty of ways to do that. Haul less stuff in the truck if you need more load capacity, adjust trailer loads and/or equipment if the hitch weight is too much.
Staying within limits of the tow vehicle... RIGHT! But not at the cost of giving up what you want to take with you. If the tow vehicle isn't up to the task of the individual wanting to tow, then a different tow vehicle is the correct move... not "haul less stuff" if hauling less stuff means not having with you what you want to have with you!

This is likely the reason that the OP decided to stick with the 40' motorhome... so they could have their stuff with them, not give up what they want to have in order to be able to tow a space restricted trailer with a low-cargo capacity vehicle. I know this trade-off well, from personal experience.

Rather than selecting a tow vehicle, then being forced to take fewer items along than one wishes to take along... my advice is to select the proper tow vehicle for the stuff that one wants to take along, not be forced to scale back on desired cargo because the tow vehicle isn't up to the task at hand. We had a practically brand new Yukon Denali when we ordered our 30' Serenity. Would have loved to have kept it and used it as a tow vehicle. Problem was, while it was well matched in terms of towing capacity, it was a POOR match for cargo capacity and cargo space. We had no problem trading it off for a tow vehicle which gave us the cargo capacity AND cargo space, plus more pulling power and braking power. It was the right move for us. But no one else could have told us that, because no one else knew our particular cargo requirements.

The OP decided to stick with his 40' motorhome. Wise decision if it was made to allow them to have the things with them that they want, rather than give up their chosen setup.

Airstreams don't comfortably carry bar-b-cues, generators, generator fuel, camp chairs and table, camp fire wood, portable compressor, inflatable raft/kayak, and a myriad of other items that many people who RV, especially those who like to camp without hook-ups, like to take along. Dry campers, fishermen, hunters, etc. have cargo needs that the casual RVer very well may not have.

Airstreams are very restricted on storage space. This is why most trailer owners choose trucks to tow their trailers. One drive through any campground will prove this. Just look around. Trucks are ideal for providing the power to tow over big mountains, hold speed on steep descents, and haul B-B-Qs, spare fuel, camp furniture, campfire wood, tools, and the myriad other items that outdoors people want to have with them.

Some SUVs are good matches for some Airstreams... but this is entirely dependent on the individual needs of the owner. No one can tell anyone else what the "right match" is for towing a trailer, as everyone's needs in towing capacity, power, space, etc. varies considerably from others.

To the OP: since we have been traveling less recently, we made the transition from a late model 44' Class A diesel pusher to a 2016 30' International Serenity.

We love the Airstream, but there is a serious adjustment to be made regarding what you can have with you in an Airstream - especially if you are accustomed to travel in a large motor coach.

We are not "weekend RVers", as we have frequently set out for months at a time. The longest RV trip lasted 1 1/2 years! Large motorhomes are far more capable in serving needs that many people have for longer trips on the road. And with any choice you can make in RVs, there are costs and compromises.

We're learning to adjust to the much smaller Airstream and the length of our trips are shorter now than they were with the 44' DP. There are trade offs either way and neither are "right" for everyone's needs.

Don't let anyone tell you that you "haul too much stuff" or that you should take less with you than you want to take because of considering a particular tow vehicle.

Only you know what your needs are and what will serve those needs well and it sounds like you did your home work and made your decision wisely. Best wishes to you.