Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #1

Inwood , West Virginia
what can we tow w/ older trucks?

Hi there, just signed up to this forum today. My husband and I are wanting to buy an airstream, but we need to find out what is tow-able with our current vehicles. We have a 1986 6-cylinder Toyota Landcruiser diesel. Don't know what the tow capacity is and not sure how to find out. We also own a 1986 Dodge Ram Pickup 8-cylinder, but would much rather travel with the Landcruiser. My question is: what type of Airstream should we be looking for--how many feet, what weight, etc.? Ideally, we'd like the most space we can get without worrying about damaging the vehicle. Also, we definately want a bathroom/shower in the trailer.
Thanks.
nurngen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurngen View Post
Hi there, just signed up to this forum today. My husband and I are wanting to buy an airstream, but we need to find out what is tow-able with our current vehicles. We have a 1986 6-cylinder Toyota Landcruiser diesel. Don't know what the tow capacity is and not sure how to find out. We also own a 1986 Dodge Ram Pickup 8-cylinder, but would much rather travel with the Landcruiser. My question is: what type of Airstream should we be looking for--how many feet, what weight, etc.? Ideally, we'd like the most space we can get without worrying about damaging the vehicle. Also, we definately want a bathroom/shower in the trailer.
Thanks.
Those engines put out either 103 or 135 hp, depending on whether or not they were turbocharged. The rating towing capacity according to an internet page is 3500 lbs, which matches the curb weight of 4200 lbs.

Modern Airstreams are heavy; the smallest Bambi today has a dry weight more than your vehicle can handle. Even the smallest trailers from the 60s would represent a full load when packed for travel.

I'm afraid that this vehicle is not really a practical choice. You need more towing capacity and more power would not be missed, either. You can pull an amazing amount of weight w/ a true truck engine, but hilly country will prove vexing to you and those behind you.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
We towed with an 87 Dodge short bed 318 but it wasnt much fun. [27 foot Excella]. Definately did not like hills. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I used to have a 1982 FJ40. I towed a small utility trailer with it, and that's about all it could handle. The super short wheel base also contributed to making it a marginal towing machine. The Ram could probably handle a smaller or older Airstream. The vintage Airstreams are substantially lighter than the modern ones.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #5

Inwood , West Virginia
what can we tow w/ older trucks?

Thanks for all the info. I should add that we want a vintage--60's or 70's model. Guy down the road has a 19' Globetrotter sitting unused that he so far won't sell to us. We're working on it. Do you think that would work for us?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
nurngen
Welcome to the forums. Just keep workin on the guy down the road. Just keep buggin him. A 19' GT would be prefect (if it suits you) for either of your TV's Provided you obtain a good hitch. The hitch I use is a old model REESE Straigthline Dual CAM.
I think you are on the right track,with a vintage airstream.
GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Eagan , Minnesota
They stopped importing FJ40s in '82 and stopped building FJ40s in '84.

I am guessing they have an HJ60 or BJ60.

If Turbo it will be the HJ. My guess is the relatively shorter wheel base of 107.5 and the lower power of the diesel will make it a little slow. Now, the thing I don't know off hand is while the FJ60 came with 3.70 axle gearing, does yours still have that ratio of the more common 4.10 ratio? If not, I would look for a new set of gears or find a decent set of differential assemblies from an FJ62 to get the lower axle gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I used to have a 1982 FJ40. I towed a small utility trailer with it, and that's about all it could handle. The super short wheel base also contributed to making it a marginal towing machine. The Ram could probably handle a smaller or older Airstream. The vintage Airstreams are substantially lighter than the modern ones.

Brian
jaacina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #8

Inwood , West Virginia
HI everyone, thanks for the input.

Yes, we have the HJ60 non-turbo. We think it's 4:11 gear ratio, not positive yet. 33" tires. Which gear ratio were you recommending?

Tags
tow vehicles