Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Fort Myers , Florida
I will add my Cat scales weights here for discussion. I have 1500 Ram eco- diesel rear wheel drive crew cab Laramie that weighed in at following:
Empty truck, one passenger, Steer axle 3260 Drive 2800, total 6060
Truck lightly load for typically camping trip with trailer , a 26U twin duel AC full fresh water, empty grey and black tanks, full propane both tanks with two people and small dog
Steer 3240, Drive 3680, Trailer axle 6000, Gross Weight 12920.
Weight of trailer Gross - truck 12920-6060= 6860 for trailer.
Weight transferred to truck 6920-6060=860
all measurements with blue ox sway pro hitch in use.
I would estimate that 900 lbs would be typical amount of weight to use for cargo capacity of trailer when your truck is hitched to the trailer with a properly set up weight distributing hitch.
I realize the amount weight in bed of truck and amount of weight that you carry in the trailer will effect the axle weights numbers.
I will have try stopping at Cat scales again and see how numbers work out
stevenson748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
People rationalize what they want to do. It makes them feel better than just saying "I'm going to do that anyway."
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #43
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum loaded weight of your vehicle, as determined by the vehicle manufacturer. If you exceed this weight, the vehicle's engine, transmission, brakes and other systems may be loaded beyond their design limits. You seem to be focused only on the axles?
Consider this example.

User A has a GVWR of 9000 lbs. He loads to 10,000 GVW, with no trailer. He is still within the axle and tire limits.

User B has the same truck. He loads to 8000 lbs GVW, and pulls a trailer of 7000 lbs, which is the GCWR. He is within all manufacturer ratings.

Why would User A worry about the engine, or transmission? They will see longitudinal loads of 10,000 lbs, quite a bit under the 15,000 lbs that the truck is rated for and which his neighbour is applying to the same truck.

Now consider vertical loads. The limiting factors are the tires and axles, until we reach the limits of the frame.

Rated payload isn’t just based on actual loads, it is based on where those loads are applied, among other things. Consider dynamic stability (roll, pitch, etc). The rated payload can be carried in the worst possible location and still meet the rating. Said another way, the rating is based on the worst possible location to carry that load. High up, for example. Now move that load lower. Does the rated payload change? Nope. But if the limit is lateral stability, rollover, etc, it probably should.

Mercedes has an interesting line in their owners manual for their SUV. It provides an axle weight rating. It then goes on to say that if you tow a trailer, and limit your top speed, the axle rating is increased. Obviously, the axle load rating is not limited by strength. It appears to be limited by vehicle stability at higher speeds.

GVWR has legal significance for commercial carriers. It is used for things such as road taxes and driver’s license classifications. That is why it is part of the commercial vehicle regulations. In some jurisdictions, including mine, it is used for recreational vehicles that are significantly overloaded by cursory visual examination. Considering it for non commercial vehicles is a starting point, but not the whole discussion. Other ratings matter more.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Sunnyvale , California
It all depends on your payload capacity.
Payload capacity - your weight - the weight of all your passengers - the weight of other cargos in the truck - tongue weight = what you can tow.
Tongue weight is 10% of trailer weight.
Preligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #45
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum loaded weight of your vehicle, as determined by the vehicle manufacturer. If you exceed this weight, the vehicle's engine, transmission, brakes and other systems may be loaded beyond their design limits. You seem to be focused only on the axles?
Vehicle manufacturers create a GVWR for a truck so that a customer will know it will handle loaded and relatively safely for an inexperienced, lowest common denominator, novice driver ... the GVWR is not created based on powertrain capabilities. IMO, if you are an experienced driver with hundreds of thousands of miles in all types of weather and road conditions it is a guideline from which to start. I agree with #slowmover who advises to look more closely at axle, wheel and tire ratings to determine if your TV is capable.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Vehicle manufacturers create a GVWR for a truck so that a customer will know it will handle loaded and relatively safely for an inexperienced, lowest common denominator, novice driver ... the GVWR is not created based on powertrain capabilities. IMO, if you are an experienced driver with hundreds of thousands of miles in all types of weather and road conditions it is a guideline from which to start. I agree with #slowmover who advises to look more closely at axle, wheel and tire ratings to determine if your TV is capable.

Sorry but that is total BS. Show me where it only pertains to novice drivers for example.

You guys do what you want. Don't try to convince me that an overloaded truck can stop as safely as one properly loaded.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:21 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What can I pull with Ford F150?

Simply stated, with WD, the truck will tow any Airstream built today.

Period.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:31 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
You will find that the folks here are pretty conservative in their towing habits - lots of overkill, fancy WD hitches, sway control, etc, etc. The fact that you are even considering towing something with that old of a pickup and a 150 at that will cause many here to simply dismiss you as insufficiently financed to think about an AS.

I would suggest that you also look into some other camping or towing forums for advice on this as the more is better crowd reigns supreme here.

It might be a case of TME, (too many engineers) who might tend to over analyze things.

The truck has a GVW of over 7,000 lbs and probably weighs about 5,200 lbs. there is plenty of room for the tongue weight and cargo, and still, WD will stretch this out some.

My 5,100 lb 2005 1/2 ton crew cab with a 6,600 GVW is a kick ass “drive the speed limit” tow vehicle even when I have 1,500 pounds of tools and “stuff” in the box. #JustSayin

Old 11-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #49
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Sorry but that is total BS. Show me where it only pertains to novice drivers for example.

You guys do what you want. Don't try to convince me that an overloaded truck can stop as safely as one properly loaded.
The Canadian nanny state of BC is somewhat different

In US the legal vehicle limits are the axle ratings. Tires and wheels must meet this if so loaded.

GVWR and the rest are recommendations.

Even without the excellent discussion above, were we to confine ourselves to only trailers, it's easy to show huge problems based on design. Exceptions galore.

billrector, some of us have been doing this more than a half century. Our cars from the 1960s and 1970s didn't wear out prematurely. They ran to 200k miles and better.

Of course a heavily loaded TV stops, steers and handles differently. One adjusts to that, or one is a fool. One Drives according to conditions. Vehicle condition is one of those limits.

It's also part of testing. The TV should be able to stop while towing in the same distance as solo; same load sans trailer from 50-mph.

Its a blinding assumption for too many around here. Changing how they drive.

They should be concerned about daily driver use. No one ton is a good choice any more than another pickup versus more stable designs. That's the risk increase that matters.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:47 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Lol, it is amazing to me how passionate the anti-half ton crowd is on this forum.

I hadn’t opened this thread before tonight because I was driving back from camping in mile high Bisbee AZ. Its a funny thing how I was able to make it all the way from and to Las Cruces, NM averaging within 5 MPH of the posted speed limit without my archaic four speed transmission ever shifting into second gear on a climb...

Even though my old truck has well over 200,000 miles on it, my brakes performed wonderfully! Never even a hint of a problem, it might have been a miracle, but I made the round trip without a glitch. It was pretty cool. Lol

While I was in Bisbee I met a very nice lady who was pulling an Airstream with a smallish SUV. I hope she made it to her next destination.... maybe I should have warned her about her folly? I don’t know, I might be getting anxiety for not warning her that she was gambling with her life, and not to mention everyone else’s on the road.

Was I negligent because I didn’t lecture her about her poor judgement, or are such lectures only allowed on the internet?

Old 11-22-2017, 11:00 PM   #51
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Lol, it is amazing to me how passionate the anti-half ton crowd is on this forum.

I hadn’t opened this thread before tonight because I was driving back from camping in mile high Bisbee AZ. Its a funny thing how I was able to make it all the way from and to Las Cruces, NM averaging within 5 MPH of the posted speed limit without my archaic four speed transmission ever shifting into second gear on a climb...

Even though my old truck has well over 200,000 miles on it, my brakes performed wonderfully! Never even a hint of a problem, it might have been a miracle, but I made the round trip without a glitch. It was pretty cool. Lol

While I was in Bisbee I met a very nice lady who was pulling an Airstream with a smallish SUV. I hope she made it to her next destination.... maybe I should have warned her about her folly? I don’t know, I might be getting anxiety for not warning her that she was gambling with her life, and not to mention everyone else’s on the road.

Was I negligent because I didn’t lecture her about her folly?
No, you can be smug at the next campfire as you pass out more cold beers and tell that story. (Slow head shake). It's why you're getting an F450.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:52 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:

There's more to safe driving than being able to panic stop or there wouldn't be any semi trucks on the road. If a vehicle towing needs to slalom and stop on a dime maybe a review of driving habits, following distances etc is in order.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:59 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:

Was I negligent because I didn’t lecture her about her poor judgement, or are such lectures only allowed on the internet?
She probably drives within the limits of the vehicle. The difference is everyone on the Internet tows upgrade to Flagstaff and back every day, and it's 10 miles and 10% grade. They run 1500 rpm and 70 mph both ways. And there are lesser trucks Rolled over in the ditch both ways and the drivers are in handcuffs.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:26 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Make this easy!

Airstream 23 ft and below=1/2 ton
Airstream 30 ft and below=3/4 ton
Airstream 34 ft and below=3/4 ton
diesel.
IMO
Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #55
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, so I'm going out shopping for a vehicle. The only numbers that I can look at are the actual hooked up numbers on that vehicle with my trailer. As I'm sorting out between a few thousand different models and types, my only choice is to mount a hitch on each and every one of them and haul it over to the CAT scale? If the only numbers that mean anything at all are the axle ratings, and the rest is utter and total bunk, I have no choice but to weight every single vehicle on the market.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
There's more to safe driving than being able to panic stop or there wouldn't be any semi trucks on the road. If a vehicle towing needs to slalom and stop on a dime maybe a review of driving habits, following distances etc is in order.

The whole discussion is moot anyway. “By the numbers” (and otherwise) the original posters 1/2 ton is more than enough truck.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
The whole discussion is moot anyway. “By the numbers” (and otherwise) the original posters 1/2 ton is more than enough truck.
Sure, if you ignore payload. He never did say what he carries along with the trailer. For all we know he takes 4 people, 4 kayaks, 4 bikes, 30 gallons of water, etc. A 25 foot trailer could have a tongue weight of 1000 pounds fully loaded. Even with a WD hitch, that could leave around 1,000 pounds for payload. 4 good plus size adults could get you to that number!
Old 11-23-2017, 07:35 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Sure, if you ignore payload. He never did say what he carries along with the trailer. For all we know he takes 4 people, 4 kayaks, 4 bikes, 30 gallons of water, etc. A 25 foot trailer could have a tongue weight of 1000 pounds fully loaded. Even with a WD hitch, that could leave around 1,000 pounds for payload. 4 good plus size adults could get you to that number!

It doesn’t matter. The OP has a truck that weighs about 5,000 lbs with a GVW of 7,000 lbs. it is enough truck, by the numbers, and otherwise. You are reaching for hypotheticals to say otherwise.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:38 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
It doesn’t matter. The OP has a truck that weighs about 5,000 lbs with a GVW of 7,000 lbs. it is enough truck, by the numbers, and otherwise. You are reaching for hypotheticals to say otherwise.

Do you mean GVWR? By your numbers that leaves 2000 pounds for payload....pretty close to my scenario!
Old 11-23-2017, 07:42 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Yeah, a scenario where a person as fat as me goes camping with three others as fat as me.... lol.

Dude, you are reaching for reasons to say the OP needs a new 50K truck to go Airstreaming. He doesn’t.