Old 03-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Memphis , Tennessee
What airstreams can we pull with a 2010 Tundra rated at 10,100lbs?

I have a 2010 Tundra rated at 10,500 in the manual. Since the new S.A.E. testing standards have come out, that has dropped to 10,100. This is a 5.7L, standard cab, long bed, 4x4, work truck packaged (none of the power accessories.

I would like to know if I can safely pull a 7500 to 8500lb 30 to 30 foot Airstream 600 miles each way, twice a year. We are trying to purchase the largest 80's to 90's airstream that we can safely pull infrequently.

Gabriel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
The gross weight - all loaded is what to look for on the trailer regarding towing capacity of your truck. Use Airstream.Com and look up the gross weights on the model and year and size. The telltale is your payload rating- the truck can tow 10,100 lbs but how much tongue weight+passengers, gear, etc can it take? That is always the eye opener. Note the tongue weights on the site too. Twenty five feet and larger have about 1000 lb tongue weights +/- with full LP, etc. and since tongue weight is subrtracted from cargo weight - that is the where you want to focus now as payload (cargo capacity) and towing capacity are two different things.

rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I am towing a 25FB without any trouble. I would not hesitate pulling a 27FB either since the weight is very close and the tongue weight is actually less, I believe.

Pulling is different than towing. You will have to watch your payload numbers with the Tundra. You can pull a lot with a Tundra but you can't carry lots of stuff in the bed when doing so. It is a great truck. I really am happy with mine.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If the tongue weight is 1,000#, you are only 400# from the load carrying capacity of the truck. When you add the weight of the driver and any passengers, you could exceed the @ 1400# cargo capacity.
There is a device out there that you connect to your TV, which has 2 tires on it. This device (can't recall the name) carries the tongue weight of the trailer. The only problem with it, other than cost is you can't back up with it very easy. It would be like backing an old farm wagon. But for those cases where you have to back in to a camping spot. You just have to unhitch the device, hitch up the trailer and back in. You could certainly use it in any pull thru sight.
As for the cost, it would still be cheaper than a 3/4 ton truck.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote