Old 10-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
There are many Euro cars that never will be imported into the States. I lived in Germany for 23 years, and owned some superb cars that could not be imported without undergoing "conversion".
One that comes to mind is the '84 VW Westphalia. I drove that one until '96, and camped all over Europe in it. It would have cost mucho bucks to convert it, so I sold it. Upon arriving here, I bought a '85 US VW Westy. What a pig. Air conditioning, power steering, and no insulated windows.
regards

Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Jim, I am familiar with the racing history of the Hornet. That was one hot vehicle in it's day. My 3rd car was an AMC Gremlin stick on the floor and the next a 1970 AMX with a factory Hurst 4 speed. Both spent time at the Toronto drag strip and did well.
My wife bought a red 1968 AMX 390 "Go Package" with everything in April, 1968. Our son now has it.
I bought a '70 Gremlin in April, 1970. We drove that car 540,000 miles until Lynn hit black ice on a bridge over the Sacramento river in 2001. Would still have it otherwise.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Reading the news, it would seem that Rams would be history.....

Right now it's Jeep, Minivans and maybe the 300. If this does go through, everything Chrysler that isn't absorbed would be shelved, I mean why would GM sell rights to trademark names and moreover have the Ram out there as competition to GMs truck line....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:22 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
This would likely also mean the end of the Nissan Titan, as it was supposed to be a rebadged Ram for next year.
BTW, you seem to have skipped an owner for Jeep. Renault could be considered an owner through its stake in AMC. This would also be a reason for Renault to want Chrysler, they have an interest in Nissan, and their ownership of Chrysler would ensure the Titan, as well as the Ram trucks, at the very least.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anything is possible I suppose, but if I were GM, Jeep would be one for sure I'd want in the stable. GM might be down, but they are not out by a longshot and Renault is, well Renault.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #20
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Anything is possible I suppose, but if I were GM, Jeep would be one for sure I'd want in the stable. GM might be down, but they are not out by a longshot and Renault is, well Renault.
Supposedly GM might want to combine Jeep w/ Hummer, since nobody seems interested in owning Hummer (I keep thinking of Jackie Gleason going "hommina-hommina-hommina" whenever I say it).

The Titan/Ram thing is interesting too, since one report says that GM would want the more recently updated plants, including the Saltillo facility.
No idea what would happen with the trucks, although in theory ReNissault might take the tooling and build them in a GM plant?

All speculation, though. They should be done with it by election day. Yay.

Slightly OT, but my personal bailout plan costs us nothing. Simply say that for every lost vehicle sale of over 5500 lbs from 2007 to 2008, a manufacturer can sell something in the US that meets 2009 Euro emissions standards and has an NCAP of 3 stars or better could be sold here. This would naturally phase out by 2011 or so, and would give us access to some interesting stuff.

OK, it sounded better in my head.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Don't worry in 40yrs they all will be made in China.

Rumor has it Airstream is opening a plant in Singapore.

Say goodnight John-boy.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
london , ontario
I wonder what will become of the cummins engine Dodge deal? Maybe they will find there way into Fords?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #23
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknight View Post
I wonder what will become of the cummins engine Dodge deal? Maybe they will find there way into Fords?
That is arguably the best feature of the Ram trucks. I do know whatever happens in the next few weeks and months, it will be interesting.
Please note that "interesting" does not always mean "good".

Looking at the bright side, if this deal comes to fruition, we will again be a one-maufacturer family, as our Dodge van will morph into a Chevy...I'll start my quest for retrofitting bow ties on it.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
My wife bought a red 1968 AMX 390 "Go Package" with everything in April, 1968. Our son now has it.
I bought a '70 Gremlin in April, 1970. We drove that car 540,000 miles until Lynn hit black ice on a bridge over the Sacramento river in 2001. Would still have it otherwise.

Jim,

Another thing we have in common. My first hot rod was a 1970 AMX 360 with a Go Package, 4 speed, manual steering and Bittersweet Orange with a flat black hood. Beth and I went on our honeymoon 36 years ago in it. Traded in in on our 1973 PowerWagon.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Ford is supposed to be using a diesel of there own manufacture in 2010.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I was getting excited about the full coil suspension on the new full size dodge trucks. I love my 08 f150, but always felt coil over leaf was a better way to go.

This will be the "may the last one turn out the lights in Michigan". I personally have 3 friends who will be out of a job. Some estimate we would be in the plus 10% jobless rate within 2 months of the deal. Well, we have lots of fresh water, anyone thirsty out there??
Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Wow... Interesting. When I had my 1970 AMX one of the guys I roomed with has a red 68 AMX with the 343ci. The 232's in the 70 Gremlins were bullet proof with lots of torque. Your sons 68 should be worth a big $'s now. We always see ads from folks "wanting to buy" AMX's. Which I still had mine today.

Last year we saw a nice v8 Gremlin at a campground. It was towing an 18' SOB. He had a quality set up. Radial tires with alloy wheels. Big rad and other mods. The owner claimed it towed well for a 35 year old car.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Original 232 had a burned valve at 175,000. I re-built the engine. At 390,000, It sucked a valve, broke a piston, ruined the cylinder head, so I replaced the engine with a low miles 258 from an AMC re-cycle yard. That engine was still strong at 540,000 when the car met the bridge causing it's demise.

It's no wonder that Chrysler used that engine, with changes to the cylinder head for fuel injection, in the Cherokee and Wrangler until the end of the 2004 model run.