Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Well folks...How'd we do?!

It has taken a year for us to keep getting our feet underneath us, as we keep aiming for the Airstream dream...making adjustments and important decisions-all of that.
We KNEW that our former 93' truck was just not quite heavey enough to tow the house with success, So we finally came to a financial place where could make another purchase. So this morning I took the swapshop radio program and announced we were looking for a 3/4 ton truck. And started getting calls pretty quick.
And this is what surfaced. A 1984 Ford F150, all white (with the reciever hitch to go with it. (1700.00 talked down to 1500.00) Then like crazy I posted pictures of our 93' truck on craigslist for 1200.00 or best offer...got a call from Lawton and we made a thousand dollar deal and he just drove off with it tonight.
We go to get the Ford F150 in the morning. And all this took was a little over one day. And this white one is in very good condition, what do you guys think? ...In with the white, and OUT with the blue!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2157.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	110491   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5288.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	110492  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5295.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	110493  
Old 09-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Nice looking pickem-up truck. But then I'm a Ford nut. One question springs to mind,you were shopping for a 3/4 ton and wound up with a 1/2 ton? Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Yeah...I gotta' say...I am really confused by this post???
Old 09-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
You sold a 93 for $1000 and then bought a 84 for $1500. Do you want to buy some ocean front property in Arizona as well?
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Well the blue truck had a screwed up fuse box inside that did not properly control the running lights to the trailer, Thats what made the blue truck for a 1000 dollars, The white truck has been restored and has simpler features like what we like in an older model. We wanted to sell the truck and get it out of the way quick so I could continue working out on the road. And whether or not it is a three quarter ton or a half ton does not matter- we made a good deal and I am glad I did it. Next time I now know better than to ask the question 'what do you think?' and just for that reasoning I am installing the truck as my avatar for the next six months. so there! ...hmmmph!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
Next time I now know better than to ask the question 'what do you think?'
It will do no good to not ask. On this forum, you will find out what everyone thinks without asking. I'm pretty sure that "please don't tell me what you think" won't work either.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you think you're getting ripped? Check out the thread where the guy just bought a brand new truck. When I buy a newer tow vehicle, I'm not telling anyone on this forum.

Oh, and I would take that old Ford before that Chevy too. Good decision. You know what they say; If you want a pretty truck buy a Chevy, if you want a work truck buy a Ford.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
What size engine does it have in it? Must be an 8 cyl right? Although that model did come with a 6 cyl... tell me its not a 6 cyl.

Did the guy define "restored" for you? Maybe you want to atleast get the truck checked out by someone qualified just incase. The trailer is going to work that truck a bit and its no spring chicken. It should work fine for you but take it easy on her.

Good luck

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
OK...thats it.....I've heard enough.....going home now.....bye.....see ya.....ciao...
Old 09-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
...It's an eight cyl. ...the big question is whether it is a half ton or three quarter...my brother said I could either check the eighth number of the vin, or he said there would be eight lug nuts if it were a three quarter. I DO know that the truck is BIG. But it has been very well taken care of. and it has a great new surround sound stereo installed. Thanks Robert we were just looking for positive general good natures feed back. There are chrome wheel covers it looks like on the wheels so I won't know till tomorrow, and lastly I will ask the owner. The blue truck was really screwed up- and we didn't know it til we had it hooked up to test the lights one night and I told Angel to turn on a blinker- and the taillights were going off like a railroad crossing.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
x

XXXX , XXXX
No foul intended just poking fun sorry.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I like the new avitar.....and your truck.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #13
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
After 28 years of being a mechanic I consider positive feedback the kind that can help a fellow brother stay off the side of the road with the hood up.. Thats what we are all about here.

When your purchasing a $1500 dollar truck the sound system is the least important thing. Have it checked out just so you know you got a great deal and your traveling safe. Not trying to hurt your feelings and yes.. I will still stop and help you lol

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Today when we went to go see it and test drive it, we stopped at a mechanic friends...he said there was some oil leakage happening ...and we mentioned this to the owner and he said it needed new gaskets at the top of the engine, sooo. I am sure we will be coming across things with it to up grade, it also kind of 'bounced' more than it should as far as feeling shocks, but my brother saidd they tend to be a little 'spongy-er' than other trucks. Like a springy ride.
Thanks Melody! Sometimes I get knocked down and have to stand my ground.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I being a Ford Person think ya got ripped. Its an F150 and thats 1/2 ton in any yr. Looks good. I think ya should have gotten more for da Chevy and least an even trade. ITS your deal you are the one that has to live wiff it.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
The Chevy was smoking.....and smoking....and even after lucas applications still smoking....it was a 1/2 ton also. and not to mention the fuse box had been rigged by quick fix hands that had wires going over here to way over there. The truck is an eight cylndr. and thats good enough for us.
We by all means don't intend on tearing down any highways at 'lightning speeds' ...no way! Right now we are having the correct pig tail arranged for it so everything works like it should. ....and one day on up the beaten path, we will upgrade to a bigger nicer tow vehicle.
We bought the Chevy for 1250.00 last winter and it was intended to just get us around town. I sold it on craigs list for 1000.00 to get rid of it quick! and to pay the note on the ford...all done in one day.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
1985 31' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Crescent , Oklahoma
I like your truck! If you would have found a f-250 everyone would have just told you it wiould tear up your AS. I'm pretty sure you wont get any good reviews here
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahrfarm View Post
I like your truck! If you would have found a f-250 everyone would have just told you it wiould tear up your AS. I'm pretty sure you wont get any good reviews here

I have a F250 pulling a 34' limited using 800# WD bars. I like the ford. Any TV that has the wrong hitch setup will be the source of TV attributed damage - not the make, model, year.
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
we have a reese hitch we have yet to put on...the Airstream weighs something around 4500 lbs...and has been pulled once a short distance and it felt like melted butter...it just flowed right behind you like a little kid holding your hand. So right now the important thing is getting the proper plugs/adapters/pigtail and make sure that is all running correctly. I mean I want this trailer to REALLY light up when the lights are lit.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Truck Looks Great!

Hey ... was wondering when we would see some photos of the truck. Looks great. You are a step closer to doing some traveling now. Congratulations! Oh ... regarding some of the feedback ... ignore it ... not having a payment hanging over your head and having something you can call "yours" and not the "bank's" says a lot for itself. Congratulations again!
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote