Old 01-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I'm a very satisfied owner of F250 with 7.3 diesel. Engine has no repairs except alternator over 110,000 miles. 12-14 towing MPG @60 mph.

When it comes time for replacement, I'm not automatically going diesel again. I will evaluate the situation. The new gas engines are good stable technology, well proven and reliable. The new diesels are at an awkward stage in the emission control development. IMO they're running excessive boost under low loads, and the particulate filters aren't completely scienced out yet. They suffer from excessive parts count (IMO) which impacts the reliability bottom line. It is my thought that eventually this will all be worked out.

So I may be towing with gas sometime too.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
maybe/maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79
I like the idea of the power wagon...but sadly I see Dodge had discontinued that model. Not selling enough...and it is very exspensive. I actually talked to our local Dodge dealer about one not too long ago. They told me they have NOT sold a single power wagon since they came out. This Dodge dealer is High volume too. I think its the price tag. You can buy a Diesel for the same price. But of course it does not have all the off road, detachable sway bar, 4.56 gearing. It was a good idea that just didn't catch on.

Buy the way your fuel mileage is impressive for the Hemi. The one complaint I have heard from Hemi owners is poor fuel mileage. You'r is good from what I hear.
Just like we got the raw end of luck with the Ford PSD, we got the best end of luck with the Power Wagon.

The Power Wagon has not been officially killed, but most dealers have not ordered any for 08, there are a few here in California still available, both 07's and 08's, but not many. As of two weeks ago I believe Dodge would still take an order for a Power Wagon Quad cab, but I do believe the Regular cab with long bed is no longer available for order. None of my information is verified, just what I have been told by various Dodge sources. PM me if you are interested in one and I will give you more detail.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi
I'm a very satisfied owner of F250 with 7.3 diesel. Engine has no repairs except alternator over 110,000 miles. 12-14 towing MPG @60 mph.

When it comes time for replacement, I'm not automatically going diesel again. I will evaluate the situation. The new gas engines are good stable technology, well proven and reliable. The new diesels are at an awkward stage in the emission control development. IMO they're running excessive boost under low loads, and the particulate filters aren't completely scienced out yet. They suffer from excessive parts count (IMO) which impacts the reliability bottom line. It is my thought that eventually this will all be worked out.

So I may be towing with gas sometime too.
I agree with you on the new diesels. They are pumped up and on the edge. They are making even more changes in Diesel for 2010. This country needs to get in the diesel business but government regulations and American manufactures as far as cars and trucks are late in the diesel business compared to Europe where almost 60 percent of everything is diesel. I tell ya...with diesel fuel being 50 to 60 cents a gallon more in my area. The cost of maintenance is large compared to gas. And in real world there is only a comple miles to a gallon difference. One has to think about His choices. Gassers will run for 250,000 miles with oild changes and a couple sets of spark plugs. Diesel maintenance is big. I maintained a fleet for many years. I know diesels will pay if you drive them in High mileage situations...but it take 150,000 or more to break even.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Just like we got the raw end of luck with the Ford PSD, we got the best end of luck with the Power Wagon.

The Power Wagon has not been officially killed, but most dealers have not ordered any for 08, there are a few here in California still available, both 07's and 08's, but not many. As of two weeks ago I believe Dodge would still take an order for a Power Wagon Quad cab, but I do believe the Regular cab with long bed is no longer available for order. None of my information is verified, just what I have been told by various Dodge sources. PM me if you are interested in one and I will give you more detail.
Our local Dodge dealer said pretty much what you just did. They could get me one if I wanted one but production has stopped according to them. Dodge told me the MSRP would be around 48,000 grand but they could get me one for "about"40,000. Dodge has a big discount on them. I think price was the big death issue here. I mean when you go to the Dodge web page and see a base price of 38,000 pluse that compares to the Diesel. And of course most people would get the Cummins if the price was similar. I also read in Truck Trend Magazine Dodge is discontinuing the Power Wagon.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
good time to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79
Our local Dodge dealer said pretty much what you just did. They could get me one if I wanted one but production has stopped according to them. Dodge told me the MSRP would be around 48,000 grand but they could get me one for "about"40,000. Dodge has a big discount on them. I think price was the big death issue here. I mean when you go to the Dodge web page and see a base price of 38,000 pluse that compares to the Diesel. And of course most people would get the Cummins if the price was similar. I also read in Truck Trend Magazine Dodge is discontinuing the Power Wagon.
I guess it is up in the air....I also heard a rumor that the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty may be going away sometime in January....it did its job and got sales going again, insiders were saying it was designed to run 6 months and it started in late July, just do the math. If somebody wants one of these, or for that matter a gas Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler, now would be the time.

sounding like one of our good AS friends.....just saying
Old 01-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
ONE more thing. When Dodge introducted the power wagon, automakers being basically MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO, Ford agressively produced their own version of an off road 3/4 ton. They pretty much copied the Dodge with detachable sway bars etc. Ford went a bit further and raised the body 2 inches off the bed and put bigger tires on the test model. Added all the appropriate after market serious 4X4 stuff WARN had to offer. But decided NOT to put it in production. There was an article about the OFF ROAD Ford in 4X4 magazine a while back. But I think the days of PICKUPS being considered serious 4X4's is gone. I live in the ORIGINAL AND FIRST 4X4 area of the US. The first official 4X4 club was formed here in the early 50's. A club called the Ridge Runners. First one in the country, they are still proud to be number one by the way..just ask one of em...lol. This county at one time way back when had more 4X4 registered than any couny in the US. That was before SUV's and Fake off roaders. The popular JEEP of the time was a Willeys with big tires and a Big Block GM stuffed under the hook. MOSTLY oldsmobile. But then that was back in the day.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, nice truck TIMEMACHINE. As you know gassers do just fine pulling a 25' Airstream. And more enjoyable to drive around after you unhooked your trailer. My Lincoln is rated at 12 mpg in town and 17 mpg on hwy and gets consistantly 11.5 towing; I'm happy with that. I have found myself [once illegally] in the third lane from the right, passing all of the slower vehicles up hill; Not crawling in the truck lane like some people would think. Although my Lincoln requires premium fuel, we always notice that Diesel is even higher priced. Diesels are great, but not everyone has to have one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream oregon 035 (Large).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	51806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Mods 037 (Large).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	51807  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
lubbock , Texas
Dude!

Great looking truck!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple
I like a person who likes their ride. Enjoy your travels.
I think this is the best response that applies to most things we consume. No better feeling than not having buyers remorse.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
is it that obvious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
I think this is the best response that applies to most things we consume. No better feeling than not having buyers remorse.
Thanks Randy...I agree, jdalrymple summed it up very well, and it is a very good feeling when one gets it right. Forums are great for helping us all make informed decisions, this forum is no exception, lots of super people with shared experience and facts that make it a lot easier to be a satisfied consumer.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:01 AM   #25

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanx for sharing your diesel experiences. I have just started considering my next TV for Lucy. I'm currently pulling with a 2005 2500 Suburban 4x4x4 6.0 liter gas with the 3.73 rear. We've done about 30,00 miles with this combo and are quite satisfied with the performance. It has very good towing characteristics, and I consistently get 11 mpg towing Lucy, and 14 without her on 87 octane.

I had been seriously considering going to a Duramax 2500 pick-up on the next go round. I've been doing a lot of research and number crunching, and have about decided to stay with a gasser, especially now that GM gassers have a six-speed available. Even though the Duramax is a great engine and it gets better fuel economy than the GM 6.0 gasser, I am beginning to feel that going diesel just isn't for me.

Over the last six months and 10,000 towing miles on the road, I have been carefully observing the diesel fueling situation everywhere I go. I have noticed that diesel is not as readily available, and usually involves waiting in line with giant mohos for the single diesel pump at the filling station.

Right now diesel is running ten to fifteen cents a gallon more that regular gasoline. Diesel servicing is more complex and costly than a gasser, and I do twenty-five to thirty thousand miles a year. We keep our vehicles to about 130,000 (5 years) before replacement. The Duramax option on a GM picked-up is $7,500.00. All these things considered, the Duramax is looking less and less desireable.

I was keenly interested in the Duramax just to have more power because I could, not because I needed it. I'm one of those guys who would have a gasoline powered blender if someone made one.

I haven't ruled out going to diesel completely, but I'm definitely leaning back toward gas.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
moosetags,

If your Suburban is a quadra-steer, you have one fantastic TV. Your mpg is also very good for a 3/4 ton 4X4 gasser. Unless it has way to many miles, you should consider keeping it. Before purchasing the Power Wagon, I looked for a decent pre-owned Sub like yours, but all I could find was real high mileage 05's.

Of course, if you are looking for a change, you may think about waiting a bit longer and seeing how the manufacturers sort out the mpg issues as fuel costs rise. We made our change earlier than we wanted due to our Ford 6.0 PSD being a constant problem and such started making travel a bit concerning.

As for diesel fuel issues, come out west and see diesel prices always much higher than premium grade gas, we are really screwed out here. Right now diesel is at $3.79, 91 gas is $3.45 and 87 gas is $3.25, and this is the typical spread between the fuel prices. I am using 89 gas at $3.35, which is 12% less than diesel, which erases half of the diesel mileage advantage.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #27

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Our '05 Suburban is a Quadrasteer, and I absolute her. I call her Olivia, the "Trick Suburban". She can make a U-turn in less space that a small sedan, and whip into parking spaces at Wal-Mart like an MG Midget. As far as backing the Airstream goes, she can make Lucy change direction "right now". Alas, Olivia has 62,000 miles on her, she will be pushing 100,000 by the end of '08. That is why I have begun to consider her replacement.

I am seriously going to miss the four wheel steering. GM made a big mistake letting it go. I keep it serviced, and it has never given me a moment's trouble. I guess GM needed to concentrate more its engineering efforts on including more cup holders and giving the 3/4 ton Sub "that soccer mom ride".

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
I have an idea

Just keep the Sub and take care of it like you will the AS, that way 22 years from now you will have a vintage AS and a matching TV (both 2005s, right?)

Just a thought.