Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #239
New Member
 
Currently Looking...
Sandpoint , Idaho
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Also a plow Truck

Thanks, Sarge for the feedback. I failed to mention we also need to use the truck for snow-plowing in winter. An F-150 doesn't have the front end strength for a big plow like we use. We are going with the F-250 for this reason, and have learned the 2010 5.4L V-8 will have 315HP which seems adequate for our 23' Airstream (which we are about to order too.) ANyway, what do you mean by it may "beat the camper to death"? This is something I've not heard of.
__________________

__________________
kathy@bocinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #240
3 Rivet Member
 
2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 210
as the owner of a 28' Safari and an 08 f250 6.4 powerstroke i can say that towing is a breeze, i never shift out of overdrive even on hills, nor do I use the tow/haul mode. However the mileage is 12.0 empty or towing, 30mph or 90mph, it makes no differance. I have been told it will increase with time. I only have 2700 miles on it. I bought the f250 supercab with the diesel due to price, it was a leftover with a sticker of 47,000 and I drove out at 33,000. Had there not been a discount i would have gone with the v10 at a much lower cost, I think the powerstroke was an add'l 7,000. I have talked to other 6.4 owners that for the majority have had major engine problems at 100,000 miles. the 6.4 has 350 hp but the important number is the 600 ft/lbs of torque, I hope my rambling makes sense, but since the accident my train of thought has become somewhat derailed.
__________________

__________________
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #241
Rivet Master
 
SARGE/AF's Avatar
 
1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 516
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy@bocinc View Post
Thanks, Sarge for the feedback. I failed to mention we also need to use the truck for snow-plowing in winter. An F-150 doesn't have the front end strength for a big plow like we use. We are going with the F-250 for this reason, and have learned the 2010 5.4L V-8 will have 315HP which seems adequate for our 23' Airstream (which we are about to order too.) ANyway, what do you mean by it may "beat the camper to death"? This is something I've not heard of.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX
There are several in here that have more experience with that issue because they have been through it. There are also several articles and posts on this subject in here.
I personally have not because I have never owned a small trailer.
On smaller trailers the ridged suspension on 3/4 ton & larger trucks have a tendancy to cause problems with the trailer as far as body & interior.

Sarge
__________________
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #242
Rivet Master
 
fastrob's Avatar
 
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 545
Weight Distribution Hitch Quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy@bocinc View Post
Thanks, Sarge for the feedback. I failed to mention we also need to use the truck for snow-plowing in winter. An F-150 doesn't have the front end strength for a big plow like we use. We are going with the F-250 for this reason, and have learned the 2010 5.4L V-8 will have 315HP which seems adequate for our 23' Airstream (which we are about to order too.) ANyway, what do you mean by it may "beat the camper to death"? This is something I've not heard of.
The beating is caused by a weight distribution (WD) hitch with too heavy, an inflexible setting.
When the WD hitch is set up properly, if required, the trailer weight and tow vehicles suspensions are joined. The trailer and tow vehicle share suspensions in a sense. If the link is too strong, the tow vehicle is too heavily suspended and the trailer weight is too light, a mismatch occurs. Trailer damage can occur. There are adjustments and options to prevent a problem. Just get it done right in the first place.
Go diesel!
__________________
"Talk is cheap, Airstreams are expensive," Wally Byam.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #243
1 Rivet Member
 
Columbus , Indiana
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 12
We have a 2001 Dodge Cummins. With a 29' AS, we average 16mpg, unless we're in the mountains. Sometimes, if its really flat, like in Florida, we do better than the 16.
__________________
wc3780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 AM   #244
4 Rivet Member
 
1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 280
Images: 9
Mr.Timemachine prepare for a flame,a gentle flame as one would expect from a candle in the wind.Well maybe not that gentle,but diesel or gas is of no consequence because both produce pollution.Seeing that your choice of gas makes you happy is fine,and your truck is killer.With the environmental issue put on the back burner sorta ta speak,the issue left in my mind is cost.I take the position of a scavenger if you will.I am one who will buy what others would label junk.I drive burbs,old,partially primered burbs picked up at embarressingly low prices.The mpg of both burbs hover around 10-12.Since I care not about making a fashion statement,at least not one our culture might embrace, the savings stay where I think they belong,with me.My point is this,they are heaps.Fortune smiles on me,for it is a heap of savings.I suspect my post will be considered off on a tangent and await a response of a freindlyish nature.Keep in mind I wrote this at 3am. Good nite.
__________________
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #245
Rivet Master
 
TIMEMACHINE's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,293
Images: 2
No Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie rich View Post
Mr.Timemachine prepare for a flame,a gentle flame as one would expect from a candle in the wind.Well maybe not that gentle,but diesel or gas is of no consequence because both produce pollution.Seeing that your choice of gas makes you happy is fine,and your truck is killer.With the environmental issue put on the back burner sorta ta speak,the issue left in my mind is cost.I take the position of a scavenger if you will.I am one who will buy what others would label junk.I drive burbs,old,partially primered burbs picked up at embarressingly low prices.The mpg of both burbs hover around 10-12.Since I care not about making a fashion statement,at least not one our culture might embrace, the savings stay where I think they belong,with me.My point is this,they are heaps.Fortune smiles on me,for it is a heap of savings.I suspect my post will be considered off on a tangent and await a response of a freindlyish nature.Keep in mind I wrote this at 3am. Good nite.
RichieRich, I feel no heat from your candle, in fact your points on pollution and cost are well taken and in part agreed issues that really make the topic of this thread short sighted. Towing in most cases will result in low MPG numbers, relative to solo engagement of our vehicles. Many MPG winners are precluded form towing our Airstreams, even the best MPG, gas or diesel, while towing is typically dismal, part of the price we pay to enjoy the lifestyle. I am guessing your point is that a good older heap saves a significant amount of money over a new or newer tow vehicle, so much that the MPG penalty is minimized. Hard to argue, I agree.

As for pollution, the latest automotive technology has greatly reduced emissions, so much that diesels are now cleaner than gas vehicles made just a few years ago, and some gas engines today are amazingly clean. Vehicles in the U.S. are no longer the leading pollution generators.

As a partial vindication for driving a Dodge Power Wagon, our primary vehicle is a Prius, so when we average the MPG over miles driven, we end up with nearly a 40 MPG average, that will give you a clue which vehicle get the most use. My goal is to get our average MPG way down.
__________________
Travel is in my blood, adventure is my passport, aluminum is my favorite construction medium, and therefore, an Airstream was my destiny.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #246
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,269
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Not a heap!

Hi, richie rich. I think what you are saying from my perspective is; My Lincoln is not a heap, but I bought it slightly used. My Lincoln was three years old and only had 16,800 miles on it, with a savings of over twenty thousand dollars over new. That savings will compensate for a lot of fuel.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:21 AM   #247
4 Rivet Member
 
1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 280
Images: 9
Mr.Robertsunrus ,your grasp of my cost issue is perspicacious.Love Lincolns.What's not to like?The diesel/gas topic is a good one too.As Mr. Timemachine has stated engines of both fuel consumers have improved,and run cleaner and this is great.Since cost is seen as a valid variable,may I tell all viewing a pertinent story? Purchased for 500 dollars,I drove my 1972 Dodge 1/2 ton 14 years.I sold it for 400 dollars.Because figures don't lie,the calculator reveals the truth.The Dodge cost $ 7.14 per year to operate.I always suspected the cost of the truck kept operating figures down but I just had to laugh when I saw the $7.14 total.True,fuel prices and mpg were factors but mostly I was just having a good time driving an old truck with no a/c no power anything and only a small circulating fan with the windows open.I don,t expect everyone to run out and find an old Dodge and drive it for 14 years.Chances are most people have better sense in our society.What might be a doable ploy is when making your vehicle purchase beat the bushes and battle tooth and nail for the best deal.The $7.14 may come in handy some day.Once again it is 3am and I'm wondering why I'm still up.
__________________
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:21 AM   #248
3 Rivet Member
 
Snaken49's Avatar
 
2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 133
Is anyone towing with a Nissan Armada?
__________________
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #249
Kay
1 Rivet Member
 
2008 25' International CCD
Simpsonville , Kentucky
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10
You wrote: the rivited aluminum panels and the glued and screwed interior panels do not like a heavy duty suspensioned truck.
Please explain to me what happens to the interior of your Airstream and exactly what causes it. Someone later in this thread mentioned heavy loading of the truck bed keeps this from happening . . . but that statement only confused me more.

Thanks,
Kay
__________________
Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #250
Kay
1 Rivet Member
 
2008 25' International CCD
Simpsonville , Kentucky
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10
Please explain to me what damage the truck can cause to the Airstream and how having the bed heavily loaded prevents it?

Thanks,
Kay
__________________
Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #251
4 Rivet Member
 
RBolton's Avatar
 
Belington , West Virginia
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 304
Maybe a little over simplified but too much bouncing created by the trucks stiff suspension shakes the trailer apart. A load in the bed reduces the bouncing.
__________________
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #252
Rivet Master
 
TIMEMACHINE's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,293
Images: 2
It is possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay View Post
You wrote: the rivited aluminum panels and the glued and screwed interior panels do not like a heavy duty suspensioned truck.
Please explain to me what happens to the interior of your Airstream and exactly what causes it. Someone later in this thread mentioned heavy loading of the truck bed keeps this from happening . . . but that statement only confused me more.

Thanks,
Kay
Hi Kay,

The question is a little off topic, but sense it was mentioned originally, the best answer for your question would come form Andy of Inland RV, a regular poster here on the forum. Try the search function and you will find mutiple threads on the subject. Andy believes that most folks "over hitch" their AS which includes a heavier truck than necessary to pull a typical AS. He has documented the problems caused under these types of conditions.
__________________

__________________
Travel is in my blood, adventure is my passport, aluminum is my favorite construction medium, and therefore, an Airstream was my destiny.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New GM Diesel V8 JimGolden Tow Vehicles 49 12-24-2007 07:36 PM
Need a New diesel?? PeterH-Airstreamer Off Topic Forum 17 01-23-2007 09:29 AM
Should I have dumped my fresh water? wacnstac Fresh Water Systems 9 05-30-2006 09:28 AM
Diesel drfredwb Tow Vehicles 43 07-26-2005 08:54 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.