Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #225
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
When we purchased our diesel TV last year, diesel fuel prices were significantly higher, but we felt the actual price per mile was still very competitive with gas because of diesel's fuel efficiency. We also thought long term and were not influenced by expected and sometimes volatile fuel price fluctuations. In short, buy what you're comfortable towing with. Fuel prices always fluctuate.
Ditto for us. And hey, my husband's name is Leon too! This is not a common name in the New England area for sure......

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #226
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
kinda lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
We made the choice for diesel because of hill pulling power and mileage. Even during the darkest fuel price times when diesel was a dollar or so a gallon more. I think we came came out ahead as we get 14.7 mpg while towing and most of our gasser friends were getting around 9ish.

Our F250 4X4 has been flawless in that no repairs have been required. I guess we got lucky.
I would agree with your last sentence, but not too lucky, because even though some of us have had issues with 6.0 Power Stroke Diesels, the vast majority of folks like you have had no problems. It does seem that the the Duramax and Cummins owners have even a greater record of satisfaction, so based on the coments on this thread, most diesel owners are happy with their choice.

As far are you gasser friends getting 9ish, I am pretty sure that some of that is caused by driving style and speed limit infringement, but is is still close to the average.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #227
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE View Post
I would agree with your last sentence, but not too lucky, because even though some of us have had issues with 6.0 Power Stroke Diesels, the vast majority of folks like you have had no problems. It does seem that the the Duramax and Cummins owners have even a greater record of satisfaction, so based on the coments on this thread, most diesel owners are happy with their choice.

As far are you gasser friends getting 9ish, I am pretty sure that some of that is caused by driving style and speed limit infringement, but is is still close to the average.
We were leaning towards a Dodge but a dear and trusted friend convinced me to get a Ford. He had a thousand tech reasons. Specs, noise etc.

I still do not regret following his advice.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE View Post

Hi, this gasser owner get a consistant 11.5 ish MPG while towing; I can't speak for anyone else.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #229
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Is there anyone out there that has a diesel that has over 350,000 miles? I sure would like to hear about it.

The I6-359 cid Cummins has a life expectancy of 350,000-miles (100,000 more than any diesel in a Ford or GM); there are plenty of examples found on boards related to these trucks. Once you wade through the kids who've modded theirs to 1,000 LBS/FT torque (running 11 and 12 second quarter miles AND driving them back and forth to work) you'll find examples of ranchers and hotshotters who, long or short, are running them that far and farther. 350k miles is not notable for a Dodge.

I note that here in South Texas (the kingdom of pickup trucks) that Fords are used to transport the boss and his buddies to the deer lease; that GM's are often fleet vehicles and it is the Cummins that is the one hooked up to a cattle trailer; a forty-foot car hauler; a custom-bed for a welder, and the hotshot drivers toting oil field equipment.

I bought mine used, the previous owner had a service company and he was running it around 47,000 miles annually. 146,000 miles at present I still need to do nothing to it in the way of repairs after 26,000 miles and two years. 19 mpg around town, and 22 on the highway (1700-1900 rpm for all speeds [I have the great-shifting NV-5600] and economy stays high). Towing was 13 on the backroads and 15 on the Interstate at an average 63 mph (1,850 rpm). Oil, fuel and air filter changes along with oil every 6,000/6-months has been it.

I think it the greatest light duty truck ever built. The 8,000-lb Silver Streak was no test of ability, in fact, the rear suspension is too stiff to allow weight distribution to the front end. I had planned to mod the suspension, but the trailer was sold. I'd have removed the thick overload spring and used a TIMBREN overload for solo running; the remaining softer springs "should" have brought me to what I wanted for trailer towing with the TIMBREN removed (and some judicious scale work to dial it in).

Thanks for the story and info. Roll on Silver Streak.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #230

Currently Looking...
Sandpoint , Idaho
How about Ford's V-8 (5.4L) vs the V-10 (6.8L) and fuel mileage?? We are about to order a new 2010 F250 Super Cab/short bed and the HUGE decision is which engine. (Don't want diesel for several reasons.) Will be towing a 23' Flying Cloud (6,000 lbs) so we're thinking the 5.4L V-8 should be ample. It's all about fuel costs. I know the V-10 would offer more torque and hill-power but how much does it give up in MPG? There are no specs or published mileage stats available. Oh, and to make matters worse, the V-10 comes only with the 4.10 or 4.30 rear end now, while the 5.4 can be had with the 3.73. Main question is, will the 5.4L bog down on hills/mountains with the 23' FC behind it? And does anyone know what the MPG difference is between the V-8 and V-10, assuming similar trailer weights and rear axles? Thanks....!
Old 06-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #231
Rivet Master

170,000 miles on my 2000 diesel Excursion with zero engine and transmission problems. It is the 7.4 litre. Mileage towing is between 11.5 and 13.5 with a 25 Safari. The 2004 6.0 Navistar diesel had lots of problems. The 2005 was supposed to be better but not apparently for this poster.
The suspension is a little rough on the Excursion--live axles with leaf springs. No sign that it is hurting the Airstream. It does everything else well. The stiff suspension keeps the trailer from misbehaving. Lots of room, dual airconditioners. I do wish it were smaller when I am driving around in a big city.
The point is you tow with what you have. No point in trading unless you have a lemon. My Airstream is small enough to tow with a gasser. If I had a gas truck I would try to use it up.
I'll post if I make 350,000 miles. My Excursion is more likely to make it than I am.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #232
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
V-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy@bocinc View Post
How about Ford's V-8 (5.4L) vs the V-10 (6.8L) and fuel mileage?? We are about to order a new 2010 F250 Super Cab/short bed and the HUGE decision is which engine. (Don't want diesel for several reasons.) Will be towing a 23' Flying Cloud (6,000 lbs) so we're thinking the 5.4L V-8 should be ample. It's all about fuel costs. I know the V-10 would offer more torque and hill-power but how much does it give up in MPG? There are no specs or published mileage stats available. Oh, and to make matters worse, the V-10 comes only with the 4.10 or 4.30 rear end now, while the 5.4 can be had with the 3.73. Main question is, will the 5.4L bog down on hills/mountains with the 23' FC behind it? And does anyone know what the MPG difference is between the V-8 and V-10, assuming similar trailer weights and rear axles? Thanks....!
At 6,000 lbs. I don't think you would be happy with the smaller 5.4L V8, as for the V-10, it has plenty of power and while towing you probably would get about the same mileage as the V-8, but solo of course the V-10 would not get the mileage the V-8 can manage.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #233
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
My F350, 1994 1/2 7.3 DIT Diesel has 288K and is going strong. Based on 12 years as a Ford Dealership mechanic ( the last 6 working on diesels) I anticipate a minimum of 500K Miles. I would be amazed with anything less. Adios, John
Old 06-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #234
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
John, good thing you live in Az.....If you were up here in Michigan the body would be ready to fall of with all the rust...LOL...Ralph
Old 06-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #235
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post
John, good thing you live in Az.....If you were up here in Michigan the body would be ready to fall of with all the rust...LOL...Ralph
Yep, I loves Aridzona!!!! A few years ago Ford offered me a job in Dearborn, but Henry himself does'nt have enough money to get me to live in cold country. Adios, John
Old 06-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #236
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
V-10

With 6000 Lbs, I would choose the V-10 over the V8. You could choose the 3.73 axle ratio with that engine since it has quite a lot of torque. I had a 2002 F250SD with the 5.4 V8 and 373 axle ratio, and it was always downshifting usually 2 gears on even a small hill and was terrible in the mountains towing a 3500 lb trailer. A friend of mine had a similar F250SD with the V-10 and was very happy with it. I would get between 9 and 12 MPG depending on wind and route when towing and between 13 and 16 when not towing with the V8. He would get somewhere between 9 and 11 while towing and between 12 and 15 MPG when not towing with the V-10.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #237
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
What Kind of Tow Vehicle

Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXX
Kathy,
I dont know if I am in time or not with a response because I was on Vacation at the time you posted this, but, with that small of a camper a 3/4 ton vehicle would be too much and you may find yourself beating the camper to death. An F150 has a 10,000 pull capacity on the 5.8 engine and if you get the crew cab with the 6 1/2 foot bed you should not have any problems towing this small of a trailer, in fact the 09 was designed for campers up to 26 feet with a gross load of 9900 lbs including all your stuff. What I would suggest is to load your trailer as you would if you are going camping and get it weighed, if it comes in under the 9900 lbs look around until you find the right F150 let the dealer know you are serious about buying and ask the dealer if you can hook your trailer to it too see how it handles the trailer. I dont know of too many dealers that will say no especially if you are serious about buying that particular truck.
If you are not pleased with a ford check the tow ratings in the book of other manufacturers you will find that most are at 9000 lbs, what you do have to be careful of with Chev, GMC, Dodge, they like to place class III hitches on their vehicles and what you need is a IV or V frame mounted (which is standard on Fords)..
By the way I have pulled both my 31 footers with a F150 and they handled it fine as far as pulling, MPG average was 13.5 to 15.0, I just not was happy with the camper to tow vehicle weight ratio. I also have a 07 GMC ext cab with 6 1/2 foot bed and pulled the my current Interstate with it but again vehilce to trailer weight ratio I was not happy with, MPG 11.5 to 13.5.
Hope this helps ya.

Sarge
Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #238
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Laugh a Minute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone View Post
Thanks for the story and info. Roll on Silver Streak.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXX
Everytime I see this sort of thing it really makes me laugh, there are 3 kinds of dodge owners and sometimes it is really hard to figure out which catagory one falls into, but either way no matter which one it is, what ever gave you the idea that a dodge diesel lasts a 100,000 miles more than any other is nothing pure short of a tall story, a false hood, a dream. The only time I have ever heard of a dodge, GMC, Chev, Ford diesel engine not making 350-400,000 miles is always because they was not taken care of properly. Having spent 22 years in the transportation industry with real Hot Shot drivers who put 100-150,000 miles a year cross country on Dodge 1 tons, Chev & GMC 3500's, Ford F350, 450, 550's, even all the farmers/horse/cattle owners that I know all put around 400,000 on their vehicles before they start having problems. So your statement well like I said it makes me laugh, thanks for the chuckle.