Old 04-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #211
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Still have my diesel and love it. Mileage has gone from 15-16 mpg to 18-20 mpg after a front wheel bearing change and new Transmission Control Module replacement.

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #212
4 Rivet Member

Well, my old 1996 F250 diesel has never been in the shop and is still providing high-efficiency towing services for me.

However, with all the new environmental equipment being added to new diesels, I would opt for a gas-slugging V10 if buying new today.

But as long as my old PowerStroke keeps PowerStroking, I'm happy with what I got.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #213
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Price of fuels

Well folks, with the price of fuel escalating, I am wondering if the decision to go gasoline is starting to look less appealing since diesel fuel prices are now lower than regular gas, and much lower than premium gas, as much as 60 cents here in So Cal.

If your tow vehicle is used primarily for towing your AS, the value proposition is not border line any more as the price of fuel variation between diesel and gasoline starts to look lop-sided.

Just wondering if any of you who are considering a new TV are now leaning more toward diesel now that gas is going up in price way beyond diesel?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #214
1 Rivet Member

wimberley , Texas
no flaming here...

I'm still a looker...a looker for an AS small & light enough to be towed by a gasser. Stick to your guns, guy. You did great.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #215
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
I agree 100%....
Old 05-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
We ironically bought an Excursion V10 (2000 model) for our tow vehicle when we recently decided to enter the trailer camping world. I was honestly seeking a diesel w/ manual transmission. The desire for a manual really limits one's available market and limits you to trucks only and generally isn't the loaded model. So, I decided I could POSSIBLY handle an automatic and then this opened up Suburbans / Excursions. At first, the thought of being without a truck bed scared me. Then, I decided I have enough hauling trailers that it didn't matter. In the end, we got the V10 Excursion. I really love it, even the gasser part of it. The only thing I occasionally miss is the manual trans...too bad Ford never make Excursions with them. A retrofit really wouldn't be much of a tear up, but still more than I'm willing to do for a vehicle that I use maybe 5000 miles a year.

The Powerstrokes and Cumminses (how do you make Cummins plural?) of 7 years ago and older were rock-solid bullet-proof diesels. I owned a 99 Ford w/ PS and manual. Loved it except it was 2x4 and that wasn't workin' for me anymore. Being in the automotive engineering world for a career and specifically dealing with powertrains, I know the problems and durability issues that have come about due to EGR and "regeneration" particularly in the last 2-3 years and the engine maker's desire to retain the same torque output if not an increase. Diesels just aren't what they used to be. The fuel mileage isn't there as much as it used to be and it seems one has a 50/50 chance of getting a non-problematic engine. For now I'm happy w/ my V10, but admittedly I'd look at diesels if the wallet was full and open. Either a Cummins w/ manual trans or a Duramax/Allison. The Excursions are gone, Chrysler doesn't offer a 3/4 ton SUV, and I think GM still makes a 3/4 ton Suburban...unfortunately NOT with the duramax / allison combo. I'd have to go with 6.0L or 8.1L gas. At least I'd have the Allison behind them.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
I have watched this thread for awhile now, I just went back to owning a diesel over the gasser. This is for varied reasons, more torq, load capabilities, fuel milage, wear & tear, longer lasting. My diesel gets 5 mpg better than my gas, the gas engine is only good for 100-200,000 miles vs 350-450,000 diesel. I only pay about .05 more for diesel than gas,,
With this 05 Excursion it has a 6.0, I have not had a chance to tow my 31ft Soveirgn AS yet, but I have towed with this same engine before in my 04 F250 Harley Edition, 6.0, & 30ft Excella, and got 14.5-16.0 mpg's towing. Currently my 07 GMC gasser gets 13.0 towing the Sov trailer.
So over the long run I will save more with my diesel than I get with the gasser,
What is going to happen now is the 07 GMC I have is for sale, once sold I will get something older, good on fuel, to run around town and use the diesel for camping.
REMEMBER; I wish everyone the best and have fun camping no matter what you drive.

Sarge
P.S. when I pickup the AS from OH I will take a picture of it and the Excursion to post..

Any new gas powered truck you buy today should easily be able to last 200,000 plus miles if maintained properly. Is there anyone out there that has a deisel that has over 350,000 miles? I sure would like to hear about it.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:11 AM   #218
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Cost of fuel, replace tow vehicle?

Hi, the cost of fuel won't make me buy a new or different tow vehicle. My Premuim fuel burning 2000 Lincoln Navigator that just turned 60,000 miles is doing just fine. I have no payments, no vehicle problems, no towing problems, so the Lincoln stays. "That's my story and I'm sticking to it."
I was on my trip, out in the fresh air of the country, and stuck behind an SOB being towed by a Diesel. I had to close my vents and turn my A/C back to recirculating MAX mode. I don't care what you say, Diesels still stink!

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #219
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Our 01 Ford F350 with a 7.3 Harvester Diesel is now at 75k miles with only a waterpump replacement so far. I am hoping for about a 1/4 mil. by then I don't think I will even care. I do my own maintainace so I know when and how it is serviced. I have had Cummins engines(big trucks) with over 1 mil. miles without having them apart,of course you will get outside appliances that do wear out like alternators ,waterpumps,belts and hoses ,thats to be expected.
I will stick to my old STINKING DEISEL as BOB says and be glad I have it.
Fuel prices are right side up now so its not bad. For a while there the prices were upside down,that is fuel was more that gas. I have not yet figured that out. How the oil companys get more for the by-product of making gasoline than they did the prime product.The only thing I can figure is that they(Oil Companies) figured out BIG TRUCKS move the nations grocerys so why not gouge them to death and let the American people pay for it. People stopped driving their cars so They just raised the price of deisel fuel so we still had to pay.
Just my opinion and Im stickin to it.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #220
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
When we purchased our diesel TV last year, diesel fuel prices were significantly higher, but we felt the actual price per mile was still very competitive with gas because of diesel's fuel efficiency. We also thought long term and were not influenced by expected and sometimes volatile fuel price fluctuations. In short, buy what you're comfortable towing with. Fuel prices always fluctuate.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #221
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
When we purchased our diesel TV last year, diesel fuel prices were significantly higher, but we felt the actual price per mile was still very competitive with gas because of diesel's fuel efficiency. We also thought long term and were not influenced by expected and sometimes volatile fuel price fluctuations. In short, buy what you're comfortable towing with. Fuel prices always fluctuate.
Good summary, especially the "buy what you are comfortable towing with". It sure is interesting how volatile fuel prices have been the last two years.

Any others out there on the fence between gas and diesel, or what was your reasoning when you made your choice?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #222
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
We made the choice for diesel because of hill pulling power and mileage. Even during the darkest fuel price times when diesel was a dollar or so a gallon more. I think we came came out ahead as we get 14.7 mpg while towing and most of our gasser friends were getting around 9ish.

Our F250 4X4 has been flawless in that no repairs have been required. I guess we got lucky.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #223
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I had a 2002 F250SD 2WD SC with the 5.4L gas & automatic OD transmission. Towing my old trailer I would get between 9 and 12 MPG at 60 - 65 MPH depending on wind and terrain. Now I have a 2007 F250SD 4X4 CC with the 6.0L PS diesel and get between 12 and 14 MPG towing between 60 and 65 MPH while towing my 2005 Classic 25' Airstream, which weighs over twice as much as my old trailer. The 2007 is much more relaxing to drive and can be run in OD using cruise control unless the terrain is real hilly. The powerstroke has way more pulling power than the gasser. I am very pleased with my current setup, especially now that the price of gas and diesel have gotten back to their normal range of prices with each other.

Dennis
Old 06-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #224
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Is there anyone out there that has a diesel that has over 350,000 miles? I sure would like to hear about it.

The I6-359 cid Cummins has a life expectancy of 350,000-miles (100,000 more than any diesel in a Ford or GM); there are plenty of examples found on boards related to these trucks. Once you wade through the kids who've modded theirs to 1,000 LBS/FT torque (running 11 and 12 second quarter miles AND driving them back and forth to work) you'll find examples of ranchers and hotshotters who, long or short, are running them that far and farther. 350k miles is not notable for a Dodge.

I note that here in South Texas (the kingdom of pickup trucks) that Fords are used to transport the boss and his buddies to the deer lease; that GM's are often fleet vehicles and it is the Cummins that is the one hooked up to a cattle trailer; a forty-foot car hauler; a custom-bed for a welder, and the hotshot drivers toting oil field equipment.

I bought mine used, the previous owner had a service company and he was running it around 47,000 miles annually. 146,000 miles at present I still need to do nothing to it in the way of repairs after 26,000 miles and two years. 19 mpg around town, and 22 on the highway (1700-1900 rpm for all speeds [I have the great-shifting NV-5600] and economy stays high). Towing was 13 on the backroads and 15 on the Interstate at an average 63 mph (1,850 rpm). Oil, fuel and air filter changes along with oil every 6,000/6-months has been it.

I think it the greatest light duty truck ever built. The 8,000-lb Silver Streak was no test of ability, in fact, the rear suspension is too stiff to allow weight distribution to the front end. I had planned to mod the suspension, but the trailer was sold. I'd have removed the thick overload spring and used a TIMBREN overload for solo running; the remaining softer springs "should" have brought me to what I wanted for trailer towing with the TIMBREN removed (and some judicious scale work to dial it in).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote