Old 07-09-2008, 12:56 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianguy View Post
If somebody starts the thread, I'll participate. Otherwise, I agree, it's best to leave it to rest if people aren't interested.
Hi, speaking for myself, only, I don't understand what you are trying to tell us or in which direction you are trying to lead us. If there was no interest, mostly trying to figuer out what message you are trying to convey, there would not be any responce to your posts. But it needs it's own thread.

And that being said ............................John & Cat / Timemachine I hope you are still loveing and enjoying that new red Dodge Power Wagon Hemi- Gasser.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:09 AM   #198
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I saw Time's truck at a rally in Quartzsite this past winter. It is one very good looking truck. The red that Dodge uses is very red.

How about an update now that you have been driving the Power Wagon for a while now?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Still going strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob View Post
I deleted the meat of the origional post quote to reply to the point of the thread. Timemachine did the smart thing. He got rid of a lemon and bought something he hopes is better. I hope he gets many years of good service from the new rig.
From my point of view his logic sounds great!
Diesel has it's place in long distance, I heard over 25,000 miles per year, and heavy loads, you define a heavy load for yourself. USA Today had an article of a study that indicated that diesel was more efficient than hybrids or gas for energy efficiency. It would not matter what you had if it was a lemon.
A tank of stabilized diesel should last longer in storage than gas. When the poo hits the fan, like it is now, I want to be ready for a supply interruption.
We have both gas and diesel vehicles and a big tank of fuel oil in an energy emergency.
By all means get rid of lemons, make lemonade.
fastrob, thanks for the vote of confidence. The original post really was all about the decisions many of us go through in regard to Tow Vehicles. Gas vs Diesel is just a part of that decision tree. As you pointed out, the Lemon part of my equation was a factor..why?...because for me, there was a significant doubt as to the reliabilty of the Ford diesel option as well as all of the "new" diesel variants due to the new emission standards and ultra low sulfer fuels. I think it is safe to say that most of the new diesels are not getting the same fuel economy of the earlier models..at least that is what I am reading and hearing from owners of 2007 1/2 and 2008 year model diesels.

As you mention, diesels are preferred for heavy loads and high mile usage, as it turns out, the later, high mileage usage, is not in the cards for many of us due to the massive increase in fuel costs. Many of us are taking shorter trips, or at least staying longer in one location once we get there to maximize the fuel spent. So for my situation, the change over to a gasser was good for this reason alone. I didn't use my diesel truck enough before the fuel costs went up, I certainly wouldn't use it enough now given the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I saw Time's truck at a rally in Quartzsite this past winter. It is one very good looking truck. The red that Dodge uses is very red.

How about an update now that you have been driving the Power Wagon for a while now?
Richard,

Thanks for the qualitative support of our very Red truck...we like the color. Of course, most trucks look great pulling aluminum.

As I mentioned above, our travels are far less now with fuel costs taking such a large bite out of a long weekend budget for Airstreaming. It is sad when getting to the campground costs five times more than the camping fee, that is why our last mini-rally was in the alley next to our house. That example is extreme, but we are now pulling our AS no more than 200 miles (round trip) to rallys, where before 500 miles was not too far for a three or four day event. So this year so far, we have less than 2000 miles on the Power Wagon in six months, where last year we had 3000 miles in three months. The Power Wagon's use is about 90% towing.

Overall, we are very happy with the Power Wagon for towing and general around the house utility. The fuel economy is almost exactly what we had from our sick Power Stroke Diesel, 10 mpg towing and around town. The highway mileage is a little bit better at 14 mpg, where the PSD almost never passed 11 mpg. I must repeat for some readers, my PSD was not typical, I am not saying all PSD's get crappy mileage, but it is well know that on a average, PSD's are know to have higher failure/problems than other diesel engines.

The Hemi engine is a fine power-plant and has plenty of HP and torque to pull our Safari at around 7000 lbs, and there is still plenty of spare power, but I would not want to pull more than 8000 lbs in the mountains. The Hemi does have to run at higher RPMs to get to it's peak torque for climbing, but the darn thing kinda likes it, and most would agree that it is made to rev. When I am not towing, the Power wagon is the funnest truck I have ever driven, in fact, it is more fun than some "sports cars" that I have owned.

Dodge makes a fine truck, the looks are a matter of personal preference, the gadgets work great (navigation, bluetooth, remote start, sunroof, winch, locking differentials, disconnecting sway bar for off road crazy stuff) and believe it or not, the ride is firm but not bad for what it is capable of on and off road. As for reliability, oil changes and lube is all she has seen, no defects or problems. I stand by my decision and still happy to be riding in a big red truck.

John
Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #200
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
what the heck is pumping loss? does that happen over 50?

The Power Wagon was probably the coolest truck in American history. I drove one in Virginia, it had a can you believe it, a PTO! And a mechanically driven winch to boot. I believe it was made in the 1940s. I think it still had the original oil in it, farm trucks.

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #201
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
orlando , New Mexico, Utah, Colorado
I just went back and look at some prior pages and am laughing my butt off.

I met this guy at a swimming pool at an apartment where I lived when I was a kid, on my on at 16. He was as psycho as they come, family destroyed by the CIA, possesed super telepathic mental powers, a mind reader to. How could any 17 year old pass up that conversation, pass the suntan oil...I have time to listen.

Haha guess what, he went bonkers on the R&D job at Boeing-Vertol. He really was as smart as he was psycho.

Funny thread...

WBCCI #3841
jacarape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #202
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick View Post
Briefly, I have the 2007 Dodge 6.7L Diesel. In Los Angeles traffic I'm getting 17.5 mpg. Just finished a trip down to San Diego, CA. It has a few small hills on the way and back. I got 15.8 mpg.

Just saying......
Yep, same here. We have the Dodge 5.9L Cummins. We always average an efficient 15.5 mpg towing 7000 pounds. Mpg drops a bit towing uphill, then averages back up on the way back, averaging back to 15.5. Not towing, anywhere from 17-22 mpg makes for a great truck all around. Not all diesels are created equally. We're sold on Cummins.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
I will give a report on my Power Wagon as soon as the camping season begins and the cold stuff has left Michigan..Its getting closer!!! I bought it last Nov so have not got to pull the 30 Ft Limited with it yet..The little bit I drove it this winter it worked great and we had some really DEEP snow this season.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #204
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE View Post
Well, it is all about personal experience and preferences. Our Ford was a solid truck, discounting the 3 turbos, 5 EGR valves, 2 intercoolers and dismal mileage which averaged about 10.5 mpg no matter how we drove it or whether or not we were empty or towing. Keep in mind that these repairs/replacements were in its short 20,000 mile life, not a record that one would be proud of nor one that we were ready to continue. Besides the obvious mechanical issues, the diesel noise, high maintenance costs (oil changes and fuel filter changes are not cheap by any standards, even the air filter was cost more than 3 times that of our Lexus), looking for reasonably priced diesel in CA where it is typically 50 cents per gallon more than regular.
If my experiences were anything like yours I would have traded my diesel for a gasser as well.

My 05 F250 6.0 diesel has been absolutely reliable for 61,000 miles. My worse mileage was 10 mpg while towing my 30' Airstream @ 65 mph into a 40 mph head-wind. I usually got 12-13 mpg while towing. I routinely get 14-16 mpg commuting and can manage 17.5 mpg on the highway @ 70 mph.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Hook'R'Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post
I will give a report on my Power Wagon as soon as the camping season begins and the cold stuff has left Michigan..Its getting closer!!! I bought it last Nov so have not got to pull the 30 Ft Limited with it yet..The little bit I drove it this winter it worked great and we had some really DEEP snow this season.
Airboss,

Get that Power Wagon hooked up and hit the road, I am dying to see how it pulls a 30ft Limited.

Time
Old 04-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Oh I will and hope it will be soon.... Cant wait!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Any new gassers out there

This thread has been active for some time now, just curious if there are any more diesel to gas TV converts who would be willing to share their story? I have had quite a few Private Messages from folks who have said this and other similar threads have really helped with the Tow Vehicle question of "What should I get".

Thanks all for your contributions.

time
Old 04-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #208
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Changing Times

The price of diesel is coming down in relation to the price of gas. I read there was a huge diesel fuel plant online and that diesel might go lower than gas this summer. Tax increases have been proposed and diesel pays more fuel tax than gas. Buyer Beware is appropriate I think.

Our family is growing up and I am considering a new vehicle. My 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel has 50,000 miles. My favorite daughter (only daughter) loves the chick car aka "Diesel Weasel." This winter the mileage has been 20-25mpg. I wish I could buy another one just like it. They stopped making them for this country due to environmental rules. This time of year our driveway needs a 4wd and the 4wd pick up is not as good as the jeep in the mud. The river over flowed our road as well due to beaver dams. I do not mind that beavers are protected, almost no development resulted in our neighborhood in this last boom, cause you can't get there from here...

Diesel is a pain in the butt, but good, it contains 20-40% more energy per volume than gasoline.

Taxes, environmental government agencies and the US Congress are conspiring against my Airstreaming I feel.
Peaceful protest is preferred but surely you see the rage that is exploding everywhere.
Friends, I suggest you all prepare for social unrest, the writing is on the wall.
We have both gasers and a diesel, just hope we can find another good diesel.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #209
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I have watched this thread for awhile now, I just went back to owning a diesel over the gasser. This is for varied reasons, more torq, load capabilities, fuel milage, wear & tear, longer lasting. My diesel gets 5 mpg better than my gas, the gas engine is only good for 100-200,000 miles vs 350-450,000 diesel. I only pay about .05 more for diesel than gas,,
With this 05 Excursion it has a 6.0, I have not had a chance to tow my 31ft Soveirgn AS yet, but I have towed with this same engine before in my 04 F250 Harley Edition, 6.0, & 30ft Excella, and got 14.5-16.0 mpg's towing. Currently my 07 GMC gasser gets 13.0 towing the Sov trailer.
So over the long run I will save more with my diesel than I get with the gasser,
What is going to happen now is the 07 GMC I have is for sale, once sold I will get something older, good on fuel, to run around town and use the diesel for camping.
REMEMBER; I wish everyone the best and have fun camping no matter what you drive.

Sarge
P.S. when I pickup the AS from OH I will take a picture of it and the Excursion to post..
Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #210
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob View Post
The price of diesel is coming down in relation to the price of gas. I read there was a huge diesel fuel plant online and that diesel might go lower than gas this summer.
It's already cheaper in our area (Southern Ontario). A week or so ago when I last took note of it, diesel was about 10% cheaper than gas.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote