Old 04-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Power Wagon in AZ

Richard,

Thanks for the picture..hope you don't mind, I took the liberty to cross polenate the Dodge Forum with your picture for those who need convincing that the law can follow us anywhere.....

Do you think there is any way we could photoshop Bam, Mr str8 and kevbo in the back seat cage and enlarge it to wall poster size?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #156
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
New Tow Vehle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, nice truck TIMEMACHINE. As you know gassers do just fine pulling a 25' Airstream. And more enjoyable to drive around after you unhooked your trailer. My Lincoln is rated at 12 mpg in town and 17 mpg on hwy and gets consistantly 11.5 towing; I'm happy with that. I have found myself [once illegally] in the third lane from the right, passing all of the slower vehicles up hill; Not crawling in the truck lane like some people would think. Although my Lincoln requires premium fuel, we always notice that Diesel is even higher priced. Diesels are great, but not everyone has to have one.
I am thinking of replacing my Ford 150 that I use to pull a 25' 2007 Safari. I do not want another truck for several reasons. The most significant reason is that I would like a vehicle that I can use everyday and not just for towing. The truck bed is useless for me unless towing and the second reason is the trucks barely fit in my garage.What Lincoln do you have and are there any other SUV types that could serve a dual purpose and have a tow package similar to a truck?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:47 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas
I am thinking of replacing my Ford 150 that I use to pull a 25' 2007 Safari. I do not want another truck for several reasons. The most significant reason is that I would like a vehicle that I can use everyday and not just for towing. The truck bed is useless for me unless towing and the second reason is the trucks barely fit in my garage.What Lincoln do you have and are there any other SUV types that could serve a dual purpose and have a tow package similar to a truck?
Hi, woodedareas. I have a 2000 Lincoln Navigator [less than 50,000 miles] with a 32 valve 5.4 L V-8. It has 300 horsepower and 355 ft lbs torque at a very low 2,750 RPM. GVWR is 7,000 lbs, GCWR is 14,000 lbs, and tow rateing of 8,900 lbs. There are several choices: Navigator, Expedition, Tahoe, Suburban, and Hemi Durango are some of them.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #158
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
virginia beach , Virginia
I just bought a Dodge 2500 with a Cummins diesel and will be selling my 1/2 ton gasser.
amazing difference in the pulling power of the diesel versus the gasser
Old 05-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #159
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Dayton , Ohio
I will be trading my 2005 Dodge 3500, SRW, 8' bed, diesel, truck to the new super Toyota Thundra next year. I have a 20' AS trailer now. Truck is too much for trailer and as stated above, price of diesel is far more than gas (for now).

Now you wonder why I have such a huge truck for tiny trailer? The truck is a carry over from my lagging around a 34' Holiday Rambler trailer that was very heavy trailer. Now with smaller AS trailer time to get smaller, and better, truck.

When I was camping at the AS Jackson Center campground last year met a fellow there who had 25' AS trailer and new large sized Toyota Thundra truck. Was great package.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Well myself I will drive American company units..With the things the way they are I think that would be best for our country.. Keep US dollars in the US!!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
update

Well it has been a bit since we traded from a diesel to a gasser and since all hell has broken loose in the truck market due to fuel prices. I am guessing that some of the folks with the older diesels are happy as clams (it seems they get much better mpg) and that the rest of us are feeling the pain a bit more regardless of our truck choice.

One thing I have noticed, the trade in value gap between gas and diesel is getting smaller, of course all trucks and SUVs are taking a beating. Anybody trade a TV in lately? Can you share your experience so we can see if the gap is really shrinking or is it just rumors?

John
Old 06-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #162
_

. , .
hi time...

i'm shopping (not the same as buying) an 09 psd f350...

but the dollar that matters is the DIFFERNCE if a trade is involved, as you know....

tangentially related, local news rag story on the climbing price of 10+ year old econo cars...

at auction the prices are UP 600+$ on 2-4,000$ cars...

mostly old accords, civics, camry, corolla and focus things....

while ALL large suvs are 2-4,000 below last years prices and still slow to sell....

and a local guy listed his plain jane 98 accord with 130,000 miles on the odo as for sale in the paper...

expecting to get 1,500-1,600 bucks and it needs tires....

25 calls later he sold it for 4,500$, NO foolin...

panic does crazy things to people's brains...

wanna buy some tulips?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE View Post
think what a long bed crew cab dually would be like as a daily driver
At 19mpg on the highway, my long bed crew cab dually does considerably better than my old standard cab long bed F-150 gasser did. It's actually a lot more economical to drive than the majority of full-size SUVs that I see being driven daily around here. Food for thought: one of my neighbors hasn't moved his Hummer H2 in three months thanks to fact that it gets 8mpg. He tried to trade it in, but none of the local dealerships would touch it.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #164
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE View Post
Well it has been a bit since we traded from a diesel to a gasser and since all h[] has broken loose in the truck market due to fuel prices. I am guessing that some of the folks with the older diesels are happy as clams (it seems they get much better mpg) and that the rest of us are feeling the pain a bit more regardless of our truck choice.

One thing I have noticed, the trade in value gap between gas and diesel is getting smaller, of course all trucks and SUVs are taking a beating. Anybody trade a TV in lately? Can you share your experience so we can see if the gap is really shrinking or is it just rumors?

John
Read an article the other day that indicated one of the used car chains had actually put a number on the depreciation of late model trucks. 25% for the first quarter. Twenty Five Percent.

The second quarter isn't looking a lot better for that industry. Will be interesting to see what happens over the next several years. I suspect it will be kind of hard to find a 3/4 ton in any guise but a plain work truck.
The good news, and it's a little slim, is that many of the '06 - '08 trucks won't have a lot of miles on them
The other good news is that many Airstreams don't actually need a 3/4 ton, although some no doubt do.

Red "Glad I'm not upside down in a 5'er" SHED.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #165
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
market trends

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED View Post
Read an article the other day that indicated one of the used car chains had actually put a number on the depreciation of late model trucks. 25% for the first quarter. Twenty Five Percent.
Red "Glad I'm not upside down in a 5'er" SHED.
I think that used car chain is CarMax. The theory behind the move is simple, they know the market is hyped up on mpg, and such, they will only take in a truck if they can price it right to sell, thus, low ball the seller, if he bites, they can make money. Politically, it is better than telling the selling/trading customer that they don't want the truck at any cost, that is what many new car/truck dealers are saying to their customers.

Sooner or later the market will stabalize, at least on trucks, since they have a strong utilitarian capability, not just a people mover. Many truck owners need a truck, while many SUV owners could get by just fine in a car or mini van. Of course, Airstreamers need both trucks or SUVs to move their AS, so we are a bit different than the rest of the market. Not to alienate those with vintage Airstreams, yes, cars work for some too.

John
Old 06-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
To All,
After reading this post I noticed that there are some points or facts missing from here, 1) a smaller engine does not mean better fuel milage in fact the opposite mostly applies depending on the vehicle usage. With a more powerful engine it actually takes less fuel to reach speed and maintain than with smaller engines that have to work harder thus using more fuel. 2) You have 2 types of people who buy trucks, one that actually uses it for the purpose intended and one that just bought them to ride around in, with the rise in fuel the second group is getting out of the FS truck market thus will cause FS trucks to come back down to the price they should be.
Will FS trucks become a thing of the past NEVER, they like food are a needed thing for work and play, So given that the second group is getting out of the FS truck market I think you will see FS trucks become more reasonable in price because they will no longer be the number 1 sellers. However the smaller trucks are going to still stay in the high price range.
Another thing is after the election fuel prices will come back down, not as far as they was but lower than they are now. They always do after a presidential election.
By the way if there are any veterans out here who are Service Connected within the VA, can get a major discount on Ford and Mazda vehicles.

Sarge
Old 07-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #167
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Deer , Alberta
To the originator of this thread: I won't flame you for trading diesel for gas, just for making a rather dodgy purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
To All,
After reading this post I noticed that there are some points or facts missing from here, 1) a smaller engine does not mean better fuel milage in fact the opposite mostly applies depending on the vehicle usage. With a more powerful engine it actually takes less fuel to reach speed and maintain than with smaller engines that have to work harder thus using more fuel.
Not true. A gasoline engine has maximum efficiency when working as hard as possible. All else being equal, for the same torque output the smaller the engine the more efficient. Ofcourse to make more power you always burn more gas, but for a given output power the smallest engine for the job is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
Will FS trucks become a thing of the past NEVER, they like food are a needed thing for work and play, So given that the second group is getting out of the FS truck market I think you will see FS trucks become more reasonable in price because they will no longer be the number 1 sellers. However the smaller trucks are going to still stay in the high price range.
I think they will go up in price as supply goes down, no? I hate to say it, but GM might be out of the truck business pretty soon.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #168
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
gas mileage / engine size

Gas mileage / engine size
[quote=canadianguy;586220]To the originator of this thread: I won't flame you for trading diesel for gas, just for making a rather dodgy purchase.

Not true. A gasoline engine has maximum efficiency when working as hard as possible. All else being equal, for the same torque output the smaller the engine the more efficient. Ofcourse to make more power you always burn more gas, but for a given output power the smallest engine for the job is the best.

Hi, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this subject. Smaller engine being pushed hard versus a larger engine that is not having to work as hard will get better mileage. I owned a 1988 Ford Ranger 2.3 L, 4 cyl. 5 speed stick and at the same time my wife owned a 1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 3.8 L, V-6, with automatic trans. [both purchased new] The Thunderbird got quite a bit better gas mileage, both in town, and on the road. Next, I had two company trucks, very close to the same size and weight; And both trucks were always loaded to the max. The Chevy 350 cu. in. got 4.8 miles per gallon and the Ford 460 cu. in. got 7.5 miles per gallon. So sometimes, but not always, a larger engine will get better gas mileage.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote