Old 08-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
WD and 2500 HD ram

We are taking tha AS out of state,, yippee. And it will be the first time crossing the divide w trailer in tow,, on previous vehicles we have always used the WD hitch but it just doesn't seem necessary any more,, have recently lowered the ball a bit more by tilting and the trailer is about 1/4" lower in the front.. The back bumper of the TV lowers 1 3/4" when hooked up,, which only makes the truck nearer to level..
My question,, is there even a way to hook up the distribution bars if the truck and trailer are already level,, and if you have no bounce while on the supper slab, why would you???

Thanks for any thoughts,,

Old 08-01-2016, 07:42 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
And,,, I have noticed the back tires of the TV show a bit more pressure increase as they heat up.. Have only monitored this one short hauls,, twenty miles or so,, no experience on long hauls w tire pressure monitor?.
Something tells me I am overthinking this as I remember riding in my Dads half ton GMC when we moved from LR to Tucson pulling the 36' Spartin we called home,, Daddy didn't have WD in 58..

Old 08-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkwhittler View Post
My question,, is there even a way to hook up the distribution bars if the truck and trailer are already level,, and if you have no bounce while on the supper slab, why would you???

Thanks for any thoughts,,
Depending on what type of bars your are using. If your are using Cam type WD bars you could hook up with minimal load on the chains and use the system just as a sway control system. Not a recommended use put does meet the your question. As for the elimination of bounce that is not easily accomplished since the tension on the bars are what cause the bounce.

If you are comfortable towing with the heavier TV and want sway control and some WD to retain steering geometry consider the Andersen system. You will have better sway control and no bounce. I tow a 34 fter with an Excursion and the Andersen.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Lower the ball height and use the WD to bring it back up to level. Might not need WD on your outfit but sway control would be good. If your WD hitch has built in sway then by lowering the ball height slightly and using the WD bars to bring it back to level would give you some sway control. Don't over do the lift, your truck is much, much more stable with weight on the rear. On my truck if I have a coupke hundred pounds on the rear, tongue weight, the stability and ride are greatly improved. I consider level on my truck being that point. My truck sits very high in the rear unloaded. One ton.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
Thanks folks,, I am set w sway control bar and ball so for sure I'll connect it,,, have lowered the ball as much as possible with the two hitches I have and as mentioned every thing is flat when hooked up,, we just replaced the axles on the tt which picked it up 4" or a little more..
I will look at the Anderson to see how they hook up,, my simple mind has a tough time figuring how to spread the weight wout raising the ants again..
Old 08-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I would hook the bars up...
Old 08-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The double axle trailer must be level but I wouldn't concern myself with leveling the truck with w.d. The goal is to ensure the truck steering axle traction and braking are restored after the trailer load is added. That can be done by returning the front wheel well measurement near what is was without the trailer (and truck bed load). Some drop in measurement at the rear axle is of little concern if not excessive, and with a heavy duty pickup and reasonable trailer and truck loading it should be fine.

When all set up and ready to go, I like to go through a CAT truck scale to ensure axles and tires are not overloaded, and weights are reasonably well balanced. Know that a w.d. hitch will distribute not only your trailer hitch weight, but also load in the back of your pickup that is behind the rear axle.

There is just too much trailer back there to forego a w.d./sway control setup. You may get away with it as many do, but there's a risk that a lot of sway inducing conditions could happen at once. Both w.d and sway control are needed then.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Conroe , Texas
a point to consider

I have a Dodge 2500HD and a 25' Classic. A couple of years back, I had a Chevy 2500HD and a 25' Safari. The reason for the change was that I was towing the A/S on IH10 leaving New Orleans at about 65mph when the trailer was rear ended by a car doing about 85mph. Having made this mostly flat, straight trip many times, I opted to leave off the WD and just go with the sway bar. When the accident occurred, the rig turned a 180 and then the trailer flipped. Lucky for me, the hitch let go and didn't flip the truck (although it did rip out the rear suspension resulting in a total loss for all). Had I had the WD on, I'm sure that the truck would have gone over too with the resulting increase in "ouch". Right now, I don't use the WD much and I am seriously considering the Hayes Sway Master electronic sway control as it might have activated the trailer brakes and saved the truck (the A/S bumper was pushed into the rear frame member so it was a gonner in any case).
Just food for thought....YMMV
Bill
Old 08-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Another vote for the Anderson wd hitch here. Ive found I can get as much or as little weight transfer out of it ad I want. It also helps with sway, but my Execcla has no issue there anways. It also works as a convential hitch if you want which is really nice and has a lifetime warranty.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I noticed when I went from a 1/2 ton truck to my 3/4 ton HD truck that I no longer needed to transfer as much weight with the WD bars. I still transfer some, but I do not restore 100% to my front axle. The big diesel is heavy up front already and carrying some weight on the back makes it ride smoother without any noticeable handling loss. I certainly do not feel like I compromised the steering or braking by carrying some weight on the back. I suggest you get a hitch that provides good sway control without depending on a lot of weight on the WD bars. I use a ProPride which does this very well, but there are other, less expensive options. The Anderson as some have mentioned may be one option.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #11

1990 25' Excella
Cherryfield , Maine
WD or not.

I have a similar set up and do not use wd hitch and have no sway issues, thru 10,000 plus mile trips.
I do have a Firestone air bag system on the Ram and that handles the porpoising and other issues.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Porpoising is a function of the resonant frequency of the bars in WD system, the vehicle suspension system, and the frequency of road seems. The fact that you are not using a bar system is more apt to be the reason for the lack of porpoising.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Porpoising with a w.d bar system is a function of a poorly adjusted w.d hitch. Anything else is sales pitch for the Andersen contraption that is not compatible with Airstream couplers, and does not have the leverage to provide needed weight distribution for all but tiny Airstreams and no load in the truck bed. Or large Airstreams for those who don't think they need much weight distribution.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Given all those limitations what do you think Andersen of PP?

My first trailer and we all lived through it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dunnbuggy.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	268110