Old 08-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
WD and 2500 HD ram

ProPride and Hensley mechanically flat out prevent sway from even starting. The WD is a bonus, and is much easier to adjust to tune out any remaining porpoising.

I've used others, and they just don't compare. Some folks seem to have issues hooking up or disconnecting these hitches. For the life of me I just don't understand why. Maybe I'm just too much of a Dilbert clone. I've been accused of that more often than not.

Search for 'Dilbert The Knack' on Utube for insight....its just too true to be funny around my family.

And yup, I am in fact an engineer...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
Thanks to all for the input,, at this point I'm planning on starting out w the sway bar Engaged but hold off on the WD bars,, the truck is not loaded that heavy Bed load and trailer combined.. I can't get passed the part that I would have to elevate the front of the the tt in order to utilize the WD. The majority of previous towing has been w half ton trucks and this 2500 is extremely stable w this much weight..
The plan as of now is to head for okc with the tools in the truck and see how it Feels.
I really appreciate the cautions and will monitor closely..
And I just have to add,, dang it bill,, that's too much excitement ,, glad your still haulin,,

Old 08-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Lower the ball height and use the WD to bring it back up to level. Might not need WD on your outfit but sway control would be good. If your WD hitch has built in sway then by lowering the ball height slightly and using the WD bars to bring it back to level would give you some sway control. Don't over do the lift, your truck is much, much more stable with weight on the rear. On my truck if I have a coupke hundred pounds on the rear, tongue weight, the stability and ride are greatly improved. I consider level on my truck being that point. My truck sits very high in the rear unloaded. One ton.
So are you using a twelv inch drop hitch,, or more....?
Old 08-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
I use a 4 inch drop ball mount, all that is needed for my truck. 2006 one ton. I also tow a 30 foot Avion, not an AS. Your truck must be incredibly high to need a 12 inch drop. Maybe the new trucks are that high? As I've said before, I use two sway controls. Got the ball mount rated at 1200 pounds from etrailer as well as the sc tabs. Had the tabs welded to the ball mount for 30 dollars. I already had the ball mounts on the trailer aframe. Sorry if I've repeated myself.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:16 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Try the one sway bar. If you can feel the 18-wheelers and bread trucks passing you on the Interstate, invest in another $50 sway bar for the other side of the hitch. Most manufacturers recommend a second sway bar for trailers at about 25 feet and longer. That second bar will eliminate any momentary shimmy when the big rigs go flying by, that is, if you can feel any push-pull with just the one bar.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:09 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
Quote:
I use a 4 inch drop ball mount, all that is needed for my truck. 2006 one ton. I also tow a 30 foot Avion, not an AS. Your truck must be incredibly high to need a 12 inch drop. Maybe the new trucks are that high? As I've said before, I use two sway controls. Got the ball mount rated at 1200 pounds from etrailer as well as the sc tabs. Had the tabs welded to the ball mount for 30 dollars. I already had the ball mounts on the trailer aframe. Sorry if I've repeated myself.
They must have provided considerable drop w the application of your receiver. This truck is set up higher than most I've seen.. Not sure how or why,, there is no apparent lift kit.. Bought it w 2500 miles, it is the first desiel rig I have purchased, I might say I am impressed ,, we travel mostly here in the Ozarks and have to be careful to not forget the AS is back there,, thanks for the input,,
Old 08-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
Try the one sway bar. If you can feel the 18-wheelers and bread trucks passing you on the Interstate, invest in another $50 sway bar for the other side of the hitch. Most manufacturers recommend a second sway bar for trailers at about 25 feet and longer. That second bar will eliminate any momentary shimmy when the big rigs go flying by, that is, if you can feel any push-pull with just the one bar.
I agree,, over the past three years we have had this truck I have made at least two runs a year of 200 miles or so,, all in state w half on the interstate,, but, I was running about 4" high at the ball and figured that helped make it as stable as it has always been..
I think you are right on track,, we gonna pull out and run a couple hundred miles and see what happens,, by the time we hit OKC I'll quit thinkin about it or buy another sway bar set up,,

Again. Thanks to all,,
Old 08-04-2016, 07:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkwhittler View Post
They must have provided considerable drop w the application of your receiver. This truck is set up higher than most I've seen.. Not sure how or why,, there is no apparent lift kit.. Bought it w 2500 miles, it is the first desiel rig I have purchased, I might say I am impressed ,, we travel mostly here in the Ozarks and have to be careful to not forget the AS is back there,, thanks for the input,,
My receiver comes directly straight out under the bumper. The newer trucks are higher than the 06 vintage, even the one tons. Mine is not four wheel drive. I would post a picture if I could. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #23
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Hope you figure it out. Mine sits even higher than yours and took a couple of tries to get it all sorted out and dialed in. The scales help.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Hey Bold, Just saying hi, how are you guys. Missing your posts.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:13 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Yea, where you been? You're posts are always based on experience, we need that.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Something missing from this conversation is the height of the front of the truck.

If hitching your trailer up without WD raises the front bumper of your truck ˝”, you have compromised steering and braking.

We all know that WD is supposed to keep the tail of your truck up, but of equal importance is keeping the nose down.
(Is there no respect for an 8-ton GCVWR truck? *sniff* )
Alluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Raising the front if the three quarter or on ton truck as much as two inches has little effect in my experience as long as you have the heavy Diesel engine. Seat of the pants experience. Others will disagree but most don't have diesel HD trucks. As long as the rear doesn't drop too much when hitched, two inches or so.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Seat of the pants experience.
Very glad to hear you have been lucky so far.

Seatbelts have saved my life only once, and that was back in 1988, but I still wear my seatbelt every time I drive.

Likewise, that lift in the front of your truck will likely only become a life and death matter in an emergency situation. As long as you never have an emergency your “seat of the pants” experience will serve you well.

(Is there no respect for an 8-ton GCVWR truck? *sniff* )
Alluminati is offline   Reply With Quote