Old 08-27-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Unhappy !!Warning for Ford PSD owners!!

My son's 2006 Ford F-35 PSD was stolen yesterday afternoon in broad daylight out of a restaurant parking lot. He and his girlfriend had just returned from a 2 week trip towing their SOB to the northwest and the truck had all their back packing gear, cameras, i-pods laptops and a new Subaru generator in the back under the camper shell. That's bad enough but the really horrifying thing is that the police told my son his truck was number 150 of Ford PSD stolen in the month of August in Albuquerque. The only thing that made the theft of his truck unusual is that it was the first one stolen in broad daylight--meaning the crooks are getting so good at it they don't need the cover of darkness anymore.

The restaurant parking lot had "security" cameras and the entire theft was captured on grainy video. It showed two men drive up in a brand new Dodge full size pickup. They parked behind my son's truck. One man got out, and with a slim-jim was in the truck in less than a minute. Another minute later both trucks are driving off.

So, how do they by-pass all the factory anti-theft stuff? In a very bitter irony, my son's best friend almost had his Ford PSD stolen just last week out of his driveway in the middle of the night. The crooks got spooked and the police found a laptop computer that the crooks used with a black market ignition switch. They slim-jim in through the door, know exactly where to break the steering column, insert this ignition and have some sort of a code on the lap top that figures out how to jam or by-pass all the electronic anti-theft stuff.

I don't know about the rest of you but I find it very disconcerting that there is auto theft of this level going on and only the victims know about it. Seems like it at least warrants a tiny article in the local papers so other people can take added precautions since the scumbags are targeting a specific vehicle. My son asked the police how many trucks they've recovered. None. How many auto theft detectives do they have? Two. Think about this. At an average of $40 to $60k per truck more than $7 million worth of theft occurs each month and the only thing the police could offer was to tell my son to make sure that his next truck is equipped with an anti-theft device that locks the brakes.

So, Airstream friends. Take this as a cautionary tale and protect your trucks with something besides the useless factory installed anti-theft stuff. And, for owners of other diesel rigs, I would say that just because the crooks are going after PSD right now doesn't mean they aren't right now figuring out how to steal other brands.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady

So, how do they by-pass all the factory anti-theft stuff?
... all the electronic anti-theft stuff.... useless factory installed anti-theft stuff. .
hi bhw sorry to read about the theft, but WHAT anti theft stuff? far as i know there isn't any on the 250s...

one of my surprizes when buying a truck last year
for the first time in 20+ years,
was the lack of antitheft stuff.
are the 06s different?
no kill switch, on starter disable, no tank shut off...no alarm really.
just the panic horn honk thing....that most have come to ignore.
my first drive was to an aftermarket shop
that sells a variety of this stuff...
as i recall the ford dealer did have an alarm system available...
in the bedliner, shell and mud flap sales departement...

again sorry for your son and thanks for the psa.
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
That's what I meant about "useless". The panic horn thingy is what they consider anti-theft. On my Explorer there's a little red light that flashes "anti-theft" woooo scary if you're a thief.

I hope that other folks here think about protecting their investment with aftermarket anti-theft stuff as you did. However, worse than losing the truck for my son was losing the stuff in it like his deceased father's fishing gear and cameras with pictures of their trip.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Well mine is one of the older PSD's...1996 so hopefully it is not too desirable. I thought the new generation F250's had the key with the microchip thingie in it? Or is that what they are using the laptop to defeat? I used to use "THE CLUB" steering wheel lock in my MG's...those could be hot wired with a quarter

Sorry to hear about your son's truck, hopefully you will find it or the stuff.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Scary Stats

I'm sorry to hear about this loss

Let my share some perspective on this big business of Auto Theft:

In 2004 Maricopa County- (all of metro phoenix/Scottsdale/mesa/ Tempe/ chandler etc.)
41,446 vehicles were stolen! That represented 76% of Arizona's auto thefts

My '05 F250 PSD came with NO anti-theft devices off the lot. So like 2air my new truck went straight to a qualified installer... After a lot of research I learned a lot while shopping for anti-theft devices..
There is no such thing as a true anti-theft device. If someone really wants your truck or car they'll steal it. But the one thing you can buy is TIME..Do this by putting in layers of security... each layer takes time to crack...and they want to get in and get out quick.... you know gone in 60 seconds....An aftermarket alarm and ignition kill is a good start. The most important part of the aftermarket alarm is the installation. If you go to one of these one dollar install places they will not even bother hiding the wires. Which makes your alarm useless if the wires are hanging in plain sight... All the car thieves know which wires are for the alarm. A good installer should have many years of experience, be just shady enough to think like a thief and will know how to hide the wires between the factory wires under your dash and rewrap them to look just like the factory install. This will take the thief a lot of time to sort through to get to the alarm wires and cut...There are many other layers you can add steering wheel locks, hood locks, secondary remote kill switches, a big guard dog, a shotgun....lojack (as if you really want it back after some slim ball uses your vehicle for who knows what) But in the end your best defense is comprehensive insurance.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Without going into great detail, in case there is still a potential thief out there that doesn't know how to do it, the key has a chip in it that needs to be recognized by a magnetic sensor around the igntition lock. This is what can be defeated with the "right" program in a laptop. Depending on the laptop, the correct code can be sent to the truck's on-board computer in about 15 seconds. I could tell you what the wrong key would do to keep the truck from being started, but then I would have to kill you.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

.................Several years previous , 60 minutes took a secret film crew across the border from either Nogales or El Paso and started looking for stolen vehicles with license plates from the USA . They found them by the bakers dozen , parked in front of the Federales policia headquarters and some others in different locations . All still had their respective state license plates just as they would have had , had they been in possession by their rightful owners . When 60 minutes confronted a mexican\thief\cop and asked for an explanation , they were advised too leave Mexico ASAP or they would be promptly thrown in jail . It wouldn't surprise me at all if these vehicles are being taken to Old mexico for resale . r66
Old 08-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
A terrible event to be sure ,you have to go back to the old days of anti theft measures ,such as a kill switch that interupts the starter key on crank wire,
another to interupt the fuel pump key on power wire to it also.Those two
deterents alone will stop the diesel from running .No PC laptop can do anything about that .Even if they went under the truck to bypass the starter,they still need the fuel pump to run.Another device to be installed
would be a fuel cutoff soleniod somewhere in the fuel system ,also to prevent
fuel from even getting to the engine.These types of Hard Deterents as I
call them,are going to be a must have in a world where vehicals such as
the psd trucks can be taken so easily .The ignition could be cycled on all day long ,they still can't start the truck.

We are sorry for the loss

Scott of scotttanlily
Old 08-27-2006, 08:52 PM   #9
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66
.................Several years previous , 60 minutes took a secret film crew across the border from either Nogales or El Paso and started looking for stolen vehicles with license plates from the USA . They found them by the bakers dozen , parked in front of the Federales policia headquarters and some others in different locations . All still had their respective state license plates just as they would have had , had they been in possession by their rightful owners . When 60 minutes confronted a mexican\thief\cop and asked for an explanation , they were advised too leave Mexico ASAP or they would be promptly thrown in jail . It wouldn't surprise me at all if these vehicles are being taken to Old mexico for resale . r66
This is the key to it. MEXICO is the problem.

This is the exact same scenario played out for a neighbor about two weeks ago. F350 PSD crew cab long bed stolen right out of his driveway in broad daylight. (Just for the record, we've never had any type of crime in our neighborhood, it's the kind of place where nothing much exciting happens) Cops (obvious) think it's just another professional job to send yet another one south of the border. BUT, we don't have any border problems or anything. Mexico is our friend.

JIM

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Living in New Orleans, I heard the other day that Mexicans are buying wrecked "Katrina Cars" by the thousands and mildly fixing them for re-sale in Mexico. Another told me that for people with Gap insurance...there were multiple thugs to go to where for $150 they would make your car disappear and you get out of your loan for only $150.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:17 PM   #11
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
As huge a lobbying interest as the insurance industry has, why aren't they raising hell in Washington about this?

I get a monthly magazine from my insurance company that has advice about preventing the theft of my vehicle. It subtly implies that if my truck is stolen, it's my fault - not the thieve's.

It's ridiculous that they, the cops, we, and everybody else know where the trucks are going, and nobody seems to be doing anything about it.

Or is it? What remains unseen and unconsidered here?

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:35 PM   #12
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Ben, you're back! Semper Paratus (did I spell that right?) Haven't seen you post lately. How's the Coastie life?

What makes matters worse here folks, is that it is actually legal to "export" "untitled" cars overseas. I have a good friend who works for one of the nationwide "junkyards". They have several customers that buy "junk cars", "repair" them and send them "overseas". No room for fraud there, is there?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 08-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
As huge a lobbying interest as the insurance industry has, why aren't they raising hell in Washington about this?

Lamar
Because they are pencil pushing bureaucrats. Consumer claims equal a raise in rates. Why deal with the actual probems when you can simply pass the costs on the consumer and hide your head in the sand? That would require actual thinking and work on the part of the insurance companies AND the government. A scary combination, don't you think?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 08-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
+Another one headed South

I also had a new truck stolen. It was in a guarded, lighted, Airport (McAllen, TX) parking lot. It had electronic security disable and a "Club." Sound like overkill? You have to live on, or near, the Border to appreciate that necessity. At the risk of the rath of the "other Airstream" web site...... I say it problably went to Mexico without me.