Old 08-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Thanks for the concern for my son's loss and the anti-theft protection ideas. Unfortnately, Melody Ranch really proved that there's not really much you can do if somebody wants your vehicle. The police told my son that they believe the trucks are being parted out and sent to Mexico in pieces rather than in total. They speculated that the vehicles are stockpiled in a warehouse before they are shipped off to Mexico. Again, the worst part of the loss was not the truck, but the things in it, particularly his deceased father's fishing gear.

The really alarming thing to me is how easy it is for crooks to steal these high-end vehicles with only two auto theft detectives for a city the size of Albuquerque. And yet the speed traps are well staffed with police. This may get me flamed, but I think the cops should be dealing with real crime not building the revenue of the city through traffic citations. I was in Peru this summer and there are no traffic police. In fact, there aren't even any traffic lights (except in Lima) or speed limits. It looks like terrifying chaos, but the interesting thing is that I never saw an accident nor did I see any near hits. It really made me re-evaluate the "safety" aspect of ticketing drivers. Me, I'd rather have the police going after criminals not common citizens.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
McAllen , Texas
Meloday, sorry about your truck. We live here, the MFE parking lot is one of the known hot spots for truck theft.

We almost had ours taken, but I went back out for something and walked up on them. The dog in the cab also served as a good deterrent.

Here's a clever trick I learned from my neighbor - take certain key fuses with you.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Without going into great detail, in case there is still a potential thief out there that doesn't know how to do it, the key has a chip in it that needs to be recognized by a magnetic sensor around the igntition lock. This is what can be defeated with the "right" program in a laptop. Depending on the laptop, the correct code can be sent to the truck's on-board computer in about 15 seconds. I could tell you what the wrong key would do to keep the truck from being started, but then I would have to kill you.
I'll tell you what the wrong key will do to keep the truck from being started and I won't kill you...it disables the fuel pump.

I have an '05 F-250 PSD that I drive to work every day and park in a deck near my office at the entrance to Underground Atlanta. A couple of weeks ago stupid me left my digital camera on the passenger seat. I had used it the day before and set my brief case on it and didn't see it when I got home or when I got out of the truck the next morning in the parking garage. That afternoon when I got home and parked, my foot came to rest on a Ford key to another vehicle I had left in the cup holder in the console. My first reaction was that I hadn't hit any bumps hard enough for it to bounce out of the cup holder. When I picked it up I had one of those "something just didn't look right" feelings and I moved my brief case. Yes, the digital camera was gone and there was a black grease smear on the leather seat. I figured that the thief had tried the key in the ignition and when it didn't work he/she (let's be politically correct here) dropped it and grabed the camera. I thought the grease probably came from the culpret disabling the alarm under the hood or pulling a fuse under the dash. But it still worked when I locked the doors.

The next day I filed a police report so I can take a capital loss on my taxes (per an accountant in our office) and the police officer told me how the thief got into the truck. I looked and he was right. The thief took a flat bladed screw driver and placed it at the base of the surround around flush door handle and struck it dislodging the surround and reached up through the opening that was created by moving the surround and pushed up on the locking mechanism. There was a scratch in the paint and a small flat dent at the bottom of the surround on the passenger's side door.

I called my Ford dealer and asked my service rep why the alarm didn't sound the beeps that my wife's Expedition does when the alarm has been tripped. He said that Ford hasn't put a true burglar alarm in new vehicles in several years. The factory anti-theft device that is installed by Ford sounds the horn and flashes the lights like an alarm only when you activate it with the key fob and will sound an alarm if the panic button is pressed, but the only other thing it does is to disable the fuel pump if the lock button is pressed twice and the horn sounds to let you know you de-activated the fuel pump. Only the correct key will re-activate the fuel pump when inserted in the ignition switch. It is designed to protect the vehicle from being stolen, not the contents. He also told me that the door handle was one of the re-design criteria in part of the fleetwide re-design of each Ford vehicle as they come up for re-design. Needless to say I was disappointed.

BTW, the cashier at the parking deck told me that a Navigator had been broken into in my parking garage the same day. The police officer that took my report told me that this was the method that thieves use in that area to break into alot of Ford trucks and Suburbans. I noticed that nearly all American made products I saw on my way home and several imports had a similar plastic surround around the door handles wheather flush or not.

An alarm might not prevent damage to the door of your vehicle, but it going off when the door is opened might scare off a would-be car theif.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
MM,
Sorry to hear about your truck break-in. You described exactly what happened to my business partner’s truck a couple of months ago. The cop told his wife that punching out the lock as you described is very easy and makes little noise. It happened early evening in the mall parking lot during day light hours. They did not get his Harley F250.. The greatest benefit to an alarm with ignition disable is it makes a lot of noise and takes more time. I also use the club for a second layer of protection. All of these things don't necessarily prevent any theft they just make it a little harder hopefully making my vehicle a little less attractive. I sure would like to avoid a theft it's a pain in the butt I've already had one vehicle stolen in my life and don't want to go through it again.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
There is only one way to put a stop to these kinds of thefts. Insurance companies need get together with the police and set up decoy vehicles in parking lots with known problems. Then set traps. Yeah, I know "entrapment" is not legal, but when you have crimes of epidemic proportions, like car and truck thefts in a city like Phoenix, the desperate measures must be taken.

I know it might deflate a lot of PSD owners egos, but if I was in a high crime area that had a lot of Duramax thefts, I would think nothing of getting out the heat gun and taking off the "Duramax Diesel" emblems off the door. Might even go as far as rebadging it as a 1500, whatever it takes.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
When I recently bought my F-250 PSD, I paid extra to leave in the dealer-installed security system (alarm with starter disable) since I knew my vehicle would be at risk since I live in Southern California and I had just read this thread. I also routinely use "The Club" and I plan to get Lo Jack. Suggestions on this thread include establishing layers of protection to slow down or deter a thief.
  1. Has anyone here tried using a heavy-duty padded motorcycle security chain around the steering wheel and through the door handle (requiring exiting vehicle through passenger door)?
  2. Does anyone have any other good and effective anti-theft devices not mentioned here so far?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-19-2006, 09:00 AM   #21
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate
When I recently bought my F-250 PSD, I paid extra to leave in the dealer-installed security system (alarm with starter disable) since I knew my vehicle would be at risk since I live in Southern California and I had just read this thread. I also routinely use "The Club" and I plan to get Lo Jack. Suggestions on this thread include establishing layers of protection to slow down or deter a thief.
  1. Has anyone here tried using a heavy-duty padded motorcycle security chain around the steering wheel and through the door handle (requiring exiting vehicle through passenger door)?
  2. Does anyone have any other good and effective anti-theft devices not mentioned here so far?
Thanks,
Bill
Bill, all of the systems you mention prevent theft of the vehicle and are extra layers of protection. However, none of them will protect any items you leave in the truck. There is always the smash and grab theives; for that you need glass break sensors. Be advised that they can be set off by hail or sudden down pours, but they are worth it IMHO.

To protect items left in the truck, you need something that is tied into the dome light so that when any of the doors are opened, the alarm will sound. I installed such a system on a previous car I owned about 15 years ago. Technology has changed and features have changed and I'm sure user friendliness has improved, but it was an easy install. BTW, it came with glass break sensor and power door unlock so it added keyless entry to a car that didn't have it. The system was manufactured by Audiovox, but there are many other equally good systems on the after market.

If you have the anti-theft system from Ford and the dealer installed starter diable, you have two layers of vehicle theft prevention. You can also get an after market system that can add a third layer, too. The system I had also had a motion sensor that would sound if someone attempted to tow it away. I guess this would be a fourth layer. But what you need at this point is content protection in addition to the vehicle protection. I have had several pairs of Raybans stolen from my cars in the past or other little "insignificant" items over the years but the car wasn't stolen so at this point I think you need to turn your focus on the contents because you probably have the vehicle protected pretty well.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:41 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Arabela , New Mexico
Stolen Ford PS in Alb

I was compelled to write and share my Ford-250 PS story. I too, was in Albuquerque visiting family in the middle of August and stayed at a Drury hotel off of I-25. Fortunately, when I woke up, I was able to pack my family and luggage and proceed towards Roswell (where I grew up) with my recently pruchased F-250 to visit more family. We stopped at a rest area, about 20 miles north of Roswell and was approached by a woman that shared her story. First thing she said was "My husband is going to start crying when he sees your 2006 two toned (black.tan) Lariet, Ours was stolen in Albuquerque last night so we had to rent a vehicle this morning to contiue back to Texas"....she continued " we passed you about 10 miles ago and were wondering if indeed it was Our recently stolen truck, but you didn't have the roof clearance lights and you had CA plates"....I really felt for her and her family as I has just bought mine in San Diego the month before and this was its maiden trip...Again, sorry to hear about your stolen truck/possessions but I think these are just so high in demand...it is hard to believe that so many have been targeted....I kept the overpriced security system that the dealer offered hoping it is sometype of a deterrent......So know I have the tow vehicle still holding out for that Airstream that my wife and I can both agree on...She wants brand new...I want to save a few $$ but our eyes are on the safari se 25 footer...wish us luck...:-))