Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #141

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo
I find it interesting after 8 years owning Touaregs and after 5 years towing Airstreams with Touaregs, that others who have only read about them seem to know more absolute facts then I do.

I give up. You're all on your own here.
Don't leave! I bought my Touareg V8 on your towing experience as well as JFShrecks. I tow a 19' Bambi with a Reese WD with anti sway and love it. I have to keep looking back to make sure it's still there. I would say it's the best non truck TV out there. For the others that don't agree, to each is own.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #142
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
FOR THE RECORD - VW TOUAREG & PORSCHE CAYENNE HITCHES ARE AT 770lbs TOUNGE WEIGHT WHICH JUST HAPPENS TO BE 10% OF TOW CAPACITY WHICH IS 7,700lbs.

Yes, some stickers were produced and applied to vehicles that state a lower weight, for those who need the proper sticker, VW will send one free of charge...

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #143
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I find it interesting after 8 years owning Touaregs and after 5 years towing Airstreams with Touaregs, that others who have only read about them seem to know more absolute facts then I do.

I give up. You're all on your own here.
Although I have never towed with a Touareg I have towed my Airstream close to 30,000 miles over nearly 5 years including to Alaska and back. Previous to my Airstream I had a Trailmanor which I also towed for around 30,000 miles using a Ford Explorer 4WD V-8. The Trailmanor's actual measured tongue weight was 720 lbs.

I can, however, clearly understand what is written in the 2011 Touareg owner's manual which bans weight distributing hitches and limits tounge weight to 616 lbs. I agree it makes no sense to tow heavy tongue weights without WDH but until VW gets its act together I refuse to use a Touareg in a way that violates VW's recommendations.
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #144
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
I've been towing for four years with my Cayenne S. I've towed quite a few miles without the WD hitch and more miles with it. I did have the ball mount (shank?) cut and drilled of the WD hitch so that it is closer to the bumper like the factory ball mount. I don't have air suspension and the Cayenne suspension is pretty stiff. It really doesn't squat much without the WD hitch. It does drive and handle better with the WD hitch installed and I've quit using the factory ball mount for anything other than the five mile tow from the storage facility to the house. Anyway, it's been a great tow vehicle for me. YMMV.
Davern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #145
1991 Excella 29' Polished

1991 29' Excella
Odessa , Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfStream View Post
Just a note from the peanut gallery...

With my 2010 Touareg TDI (air suspension) I tow a 28' International (7300# with a tongue weight of 950#) using a ProPride hitch with weight distribution. Tows great and it's less filling.

I did my own research and decided that for my usage, I have the best setup for my lifestyle. I don't want to drive an F-250 daily and I don't want to make a $800+/month payment on a $50,000+ vehicle to have it waiting around in my driveway for my next roadtrip. I'm not morbidly obese and I don't travel with tons of extra toys.

With good guidance from this forum, I took my rig to Propride AND CanAM in April for the set up. Each did a great job.

VW does not recommend the weight distributing hitch because the factory receiver is attached to the unibody frame at the very end by four bolts on either side. Without reinforcement, the tension created by the weight distribution hitch given enough prolonged pressure on those two points of contact could act like a opener on a bottle top. To answer that, CanAM welded a reinforcing bar from the receiver box at the rear of the Touareg to the supports of the rear suspension to spread the load of the tongue (and the associated stress) to multiple points along the chassis. The reinforcement also minimizes, if not eliminates, any lateral twist at the receiver so the connection to the trailer remains solid.

The rest is driving skills and a healthy respect for the road. Unfortunately, you'll have to learn those on your own. For my part, I make good use of the transmission to slow the rig down hill and I know when and how to apply the disc brakes on both the trailer and the tow vehicle.

At the end of the day, everyone here does what makes sense to themselves. You should do what makes sense to you.

Enjoy your adventures,

Javier

Dear GolfStream, JFScheck and Mojo,

May I have your advise, please ?

I am buying my first Airstream - the 27FB 2008 for towing with Touareg 2 V8. Two trailers are available in my price range - one with Hensley Hitch and another is without. Would the 3 years old Hensley Hitch still be 100% reliable or would I be better off by buying a trailer without a used hitch attached and then buy separately a new Hensley Hitch or ProPride P3 ? How much premium shall I consider to pay for 3 years old trailer fitted with Hensley Hitch ? Around $750 ?
Any comments will be very much appreciated !
Timofeevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 AM   #146
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Timo

The 27' has a hitch weight of 950lbs which surpasses the hitch weight limit of the Touareg at 770lbs. Golfstream has taken steps to increase the capacity of his hitch by adding extra support and attachment points. I don't believe it would be wise to exceed that weight without doing the same. A used Hensley for $750 is a good price if all parts are there and in good condition. For $500 Hensley will give you a lifetime warranty which includes parts and replacement stingers if you change vehicles.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #147

1991 29' Excella
Odessa , Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Timo

The 27' has a hitch weight of 950lbs which surpasses the hitch weight limit of the Touareg at 770lbs. Golfstream has taken steps to increase the capacity of his hitch by adding extra support and attachment points. I don't believe it would be wise to exceed that weight without doing the same. A used Hensley for $750 is a good price if all parts are there and in good condition. For $500 Hensley will give you a lifetime warranty which includes parts and replacement stingers if you change vehicles.
Thanks Mojo !
The 27'FB 2008 Ocean Breeze has a hitch weight of 790lbs which surpasses the hitch weight limit of the Touareg at 770lbs by 20lbs only, which can easily be reduced by putting the personal stuff closer to the rear end of the trailer rather than to the front end. In any event I should constantly monitor the actual hitch weight very closely.
Many thanks for your advise once again !
Old 07-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #148
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
NOTE: The connector pin that is factory installed is a European model! You must get an adapter to connect it to an American Trailer. Open it up and you'll see. Make the dealer throw in the adapter as part of the purchase price. If they sell it as a towing vehicle, they need to make it a towing vehicle. Ridiculous for VW to not address this issue.
kathyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
That 790lbs of weight is when empty, no propane in the tanks, no water in the hot water heater - and no other weight in the trailer at all (might not even include the weight of the spare tire) PLUS YOUR GONNA ADD 40lbs+ of HITCH to the tongue!!!

Unless you take the trailer to the scales you will never be sure of the tongue weight, but I'm thinking your right on that envelope - tow as I used too with my 25FB and you will be fine, but you need to be aware of your tongue weight and that means the T-Rex is gonna be empty with only two adults and nothing else inside - and minimal weight in the Airstreammm......

Visit our friends in Canada and you can tow with no worries after a little welding work....

As for the hitch, the used HaHa is fine, especially if you get the extra warranty - but I bet you for that price you can get a Pro Pride from Sean...
Old 07-25-2011, 12:55 AM   #150

1991 29' Excella
Odessa , Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
That 790lbs of weight is when empty, no propane in the tanks, no water in the hot water heater - and no other weight in the trailer at all (might not even include the weight of the spare tire) PLUS YOUR GONNA ADD 40lbs+ of HITCH to the tongue!!!

Unless you take the trailer to the scales you will never be sure of the tongue weight, but I'm thinking your right on that envelope - tow as I used too with my 25FB and you will be fine, but you need to be aware of your tongue weight and that means the T-Rex is gonna be empty with only two adults and nothing else inside - and minimal weight in the Airstreammm......

Visit our friends in Canada and you can tow with no worries after a little welding work....

As for the hitch, the used HaHa is fine, especially if you get the extra warranty - but I bet you for that price you can get a Pro Pride from Sean...
Thanks JFScheck !

So, shall I consider buying the Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale and go for LM1000 (for 1000 lbs), or LM2000 (for 2000 lbs) ?
Sherline Direct: LM1000/LM2000/LM5000 - Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale

The NCC (Net Carrying Capacity) of Touareg is 1540lbs (700kg).
1540-770=770lbs (350kg) - for me 770lbs looks enough for 3 adults + 1 child and nothing else inside, subject tongue weight is properly measured and does not exceed 770lbs.

What do you think ?

Many thanks for your comments !
Old 07-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #151
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timofeevich View Post
Thanks JFScheck !

So, shall I consider buying the Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale and go for LM1000 (for 1000 lbs), or LM2000 (for 2000 lbs) ?
Sherline Direct: LM1000/LM2000/LM5000 - Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale

The NCC (Net Carrying Capacity) of Touareg is 1540lbs (700kg).
1540-770=770lbs (350kg) - for me 770lbs looks enough for 3 adults + 1 child and nothing else inside, subject tongue weight is properly measured and does not exceed 770lbs.

What do you think ?

Many thanks for your comments !
I would buy the 2000 lb Sherline scale. I bought the 1000 lb version thinking my tongue weight on my 23' Airstream Safari would be around 700 lbs and it actually was 880 lbs.

Check the sticker on the door frame of the Touareg your of are thinking of buying or own for the actual real world carrying capacity of the vehicle. The 1540 lbs NCC does not include the gas, oil or coolant. When you factor the fluids the carrying capacity will be more like 1105 lbs, as the sticker stated on the 2011 Touareg TDI I was looking at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Touareg Loading Capacity.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	135978  
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timofeevich View Post
The NCC (Net Carrying Capacity) of Touareg is 1540lbs (700kg). 1540-770=770lbs (350kg) - for me 770lbs looks enough for 3 adults + 1 child and nothing else inside, subject tongue weight is properly measured and does not exceed 770lbs.
Don't forget to subtract 26 gallons of diesel plus 1 gallon of AdBlu = approx 7.3 x 26 = 189.8 plus 5lbs for adblue - so you need to subtract 195 from your 770lbs which gets you to 580lbs as an estimate.

For me at 250lbs and my SO at approx 145lbs leaves 185lbs - I promise you your tounge with the ProPride or HaHa will be closer to 850 lbs so you see approximately why I towed with just myself, SO, camera and computer gear and nothing really in the trailer (to include 3/4 - 1/2 propane).

It will work, your just right at the specs....

Mojo - give me some backup Bro on my statement above, what ya think?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #153
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
John, when you say virtually nothing in the trailer, your reasoning is to keep down tongue weight?

But if the load was balanced over the trailer axles, and the tongue weight kept within Touareg spec, couldn't the trailer load be increased? (of course maintaining at least 10-12% total trailer weight on the tongue.)

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #154
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Hans, OB Bambi's Toe Vehicle

I see absolutely nothing wrong using a VW to tow an Airstream.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0797.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	136074  
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
John, when you say virtually nothing in the trailer, your reasoning is to keep down tongue weight?

But if the load was balanced over the trailer axles, and the tongue weight kept within Touareg spec, couldn't the trailer load be increased? (of course maintaining at least 10-12% total trailer weight on the tongue.)

doug k
Yes, most certainly!

But, it can get old after awhile and limits full use of the Airstreams capacity...
Old 07-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thanks John. I am trying to sort this out to get a smaller daily driver to tow a 25FB. Our experience is we don't need near the full load capacity of the Airstream or pickup, even when out for six months at a time moving about the southern U.S. in winter months.

I have looked for reports of bad handling tendencies with the Touareg/Airstream setup, but haven't seen it. The Touareg stability and TDI engine seem to be excellent with the Airstream.

It's the rather weak hitch capacity recommendation and warning about w.d. hitches that is the issue, as I understand it.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
You know I towed a 25FB 2009 Classic with ProPride hitch all over, as long as I was aware of my weights (and trust me, I watched them like a hawk), never was I worried and it performed without fail.

Due to the pop-top effect of the hitch, if I really wanted to make max use of the Airstream capacity, one trip up north to Andy and I would have been fine.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #158
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I have a 09 tdi touareg (do not use it for towing my 'stream however) and wanted to comment on the weight distributing hitch. Mine was ordered with the hitch factory installed and the decal on the hitch says weight distributing is ok, weights and ratings are the same as if you did not have a wd hitch.

I know if you have the air suspension, which I do not they do not allow a wd hitch. I have attached a photo of my hitch sticker.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-885652733.png
Views:	180
Size:	701.9 KB
ID:	136261  
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Everyone note the 770lbs tounge weight & 7,700lbs tow rating...

I see 616lbs on tounge.... Very Interesting...
Old 07-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #160
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Kinda weird, less than 10% tongue weight if maxed out. Usually most trailer manufacturers recommend 10 to 15 percent of trailer weight on the tongue.

I just like mileage!!
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing capacity, touareg