Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #121
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
The details matter. Neither did the 1960's car manuals recommend towing past XXX pounds with a bumper hitch. A proper hitch had to be built (for which diagrams were provided).
I'm living proof of that. I towed a 19' International Bambi successfully from Miami to Maine (including the Blue Ridge Parkway) with a hitch fabricated from the owner's manual for my 1968 Imperial. Great way to see the country: top down.

At the end of the day, you have to claim responsibility for your own actions, and not let that stop you.
(Truly Work from Anywhere)
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #122
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfStream View Post
Just a note from the peanut gallery...

With my 2010 Touareg TDI (air suspension) I tow a 28' International (7300# with a tongue weight of 950#) using a ProPride hitch with weight distribution. Tows great and it's less filling.

I did my own research and decided that for my usage, I have the best setup for my lifestyle. I don't want to drive an F-250 daily and I don't want to make a $800+/month payment on a $50,000+ vehicle to have it waiting around in my driveway for my next roadtrip. I'm not morbidly obese and I don't travel with tons of extra toys.

With good guidance from this forum, I took my rig to Propride AND CanAM in April for the set up. Each did a great job.

VW does not recommend the weight distributing hitch because the factory receiver is attached to the unibody frame at the very end by four bolts on either side. Without reinforcement, the tension created by the weight distribution hitch given enough prolonged pressure on those two points of contact could act like a opener on a bottle top. To answer that, CanAM welded a reinforcing bar from the receiver box at the rear of the Touareg to the supports of the rear suspension to spread the load of the tongue (and the associated stress) to multiple points along the chassis. The reinforcement also minimizes, if not eliminates, any lateral twist at the receiver so the connection to the trailer remains solid.

The rest is driving skills and a healthy respect for the road. Unfortunately, you'll have to learn those on your own. For my part, I make good use of the transmission to slow the rig down hill and I know when and how to apply the disc brakes on both the trailer and the tow vehicle.

At the end of the day, everyone here does what makes sense to themselves. You should do what makes sense to you.

Enjoy your adventures,

Javier
Each to their own. I can't see spending $50,000 for a tow vehicle that I have to extensively modify so that it can tow a rig within the tow ratings of the vehicle (7700 lbs).

My local Airstream dealer told me that adding a weight distributing hitch to a Touareg may void the warranty. He also told me they would not allow a test drive of an Airstream behind a Touareg. Finally he said they would not attach a brake controller on a Touareg. The dealer is Airstream Adventures Northwest, an exclusive Airstream dealer with locations in Portland and Seattle.

Up to that point I was ready to purchase a Touareg without any hesitation.
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #123
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
VW did not recommend weight distributing hitches because they don't use them in Germany. Yes the hitch is attached to the unibody frame with four bolts as is with every other unibody vehicle. If you wish to contact VW regarding the outdated information in the manual and on your hitch you can request an updated sticker if that will make you feel better.
If you don't own a Touareg or have never towed with one then perhaps you don't really understand the vehicles capabilities.
If VW would update the sticker on the hitch as well as the statement in the owner's manual about not using weight distributing hitches I would feel a lot better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Touareg2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	135211  
Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfStream View Post
VW does not recommend the weight distributing hitch because the factory receiver is attached to the unibody frame at the very end by four bolts on either side. Without reinforcement, the tension created by the weight distribution hitch given enough prolonged pressure on those two points of contact could act like a opener on a bottle top. To answer that, CanAM welded a reinforcing bar from the receiver box at the rear of the Touareg to the supports of the rear suspension to spread the load of the tongue (and the associated stress) to multiple points along the chassis. The reinforcement also minimizes, if not eliminates, any lateral twist at the receiver so the connection to the trailer remains solid.

And that's how it's DONE!!!.

Could not have said it any better myself....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid View Post
Finally he said they would not attach a brake controller on a Touareg.
I have created detailed instructions with pictures and posted both on this site, Reenlist & the Touareg forums on the installation of a brake controller (Prodigy P2 & P3). Very easy to achieve, but needs to be done via my instructions, similar detailed proven instructions, or someone who has done this before on a VW/Porsche/Audi..
Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Agreed that an owner (and a good shop) can outfit the Treg for towing. But it's a shame VW didn't bother making the Touareg more of a plug-and-play tow vehicle. Selling the factory hitch without a factory 7-pin connector on a vehicle that tows 7700 lbs seems silly.

Maybe VW expects you to only tow boat or car trailers with surge brakes...or that you're still in Europe towing travel trailers with surge brakes and no tongue weight.

Compared to this, something like a Jeep/Dodge/Chevy/GMC/Ford/Nissan/Toyota where you just plug in a brake controller and off you tow seems rather simple.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #127
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Agreed that an owner (and a good shop) can outfit the Treg for towing. But it's a shame VW didn't bother making the Touareg more of a plug-and-play tow vehicle. Selling the factory hitch without a factory 7-pin connector on a vehicle that tows 7700 lbs seems silly.

Maybe VW expects you to only tow boat or car trailers with surge brakes...or that you're still in Europe towing travel trailers with surge brakes and no tongue weight.

Compared to this, something like a Jeep/Dodge/Chevy/GMC/Ford/Nissan/Toyota where you just plug in a brake controller and off you tow seems rather simple.

Tom
Right on!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #128
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
VW has their blinders on when it comes to the huge North American TV/Towing market.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #129
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
VW has their blinders on when it comes to the huge North American TV/Towing market.
I find that strange as VW has been selling autos in NA for at least 50 years. They even manufactured them in Westmorland, PA for many years.

All VW would have to do is add a "towing" package which includes the 2" hitch receiver with adequate reinforcement for use with a weight distributing hitch and a 7 pin adapter and they would have a winner. If they want to jump ahead of the competition they could include a P3 brake controller in the package.

When I was checking on Ford pickups some towing packages did include a brake controller.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
OrangeKid - I'm telling ya, the F-150 CrewCab EcoBoost is in your future...

It's not just VW/Porsche/Audi (BTW, Audi looses 1,000 pounds towing capacity & 100 lbs tongue weight due to the lengthened frame) but Mercedes as well....

Darn those Europeans, don't they know what us North American's want?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #131
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
OrangeKid - I'm telling ya, the F-150 CrewCab EcoBoost is in your future...

It's not just VW/Porsche/Audi (BTW, Audi looses 1,000 pounds towing capacity & 100 lbs tongue weight due to the lengthened frame) but Mercedes as well....

Darn those Europeans, don't they know what us North American's want?
Hi,

Those darn Europeans actually know what North American trailer owners want. It does not mean it makes sense for them to satisfy the demand.

If you look over the past few decades, European (and Asian) car builders have slowly taken over the North American car market, their own way. Even the Mini is selling like hot cakes now!!!!

Now going back to towing, European builders don't really do pickups but use SUV (like the Touareg) to tow trailers (not fifth wheels). The main reason is that trailers are much smaller there and, most importantly, you are not allowed to tow more than 7,000lbs.

Also, what is the percentage of trailers in the RV industry?? looking at the campgrounds I usually stay in, maybe, it is between 20 to 30%, the rest being 5th wheel and motorhomes. Therefore, why should companies like MB, VW, Porsche spend big bucks to come out with a vehicle for such a small market segment and try to compete with the almighty American pickup truck????

my take on this: NO WAY CAUSE NO MONEY
gamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #132
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There is a big difference in towing an aero trailer of a given size (with low COG and independent suspension plus better weight/loading) and a square white box. Therein lays much of the problem, IMO.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I just looked at a Touareg TDI. It had the factory hitch installed, and also a 7-pin trailer connector factory installed. The trailer connector was listed on the factory window sticker as a $140 option.

I then looked in the owners manual where it has a warning not to use a weight distribution with this vehicle. What a shame, wonderful tow vehicle design with this odd limitation.

I would probably consider beefing up the hitch attachment, but I suppose it would cause problems with the 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Can this thing tow 7700 lbs without a w.d. hitch? If not, what good is it . . . towing boats? 747's?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #134
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Can this thing tow 7700 lbs without a w.d. hitch? If not, what good is it . . . towing boats? 747's?

doug k
Yes it can. And many do tow travel trailers, boats, race cars, horses and whatever. Go check the Touareg forum listed at the bottom of this site.

Have towed with and without WD hitch, a 19' and a 25', and the hitch receiver is still attached. However if all the safety warnings make you nervous, then get a big heavy duty pickup truck.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #135
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
We bot a 2011 Touareg TDI with towing package and tow a 19' flying cloud. It pulls like a dream, rpms rarely over 2000, and only on a steep uphill. Average mileage so far 33 mph not towing, 19.2 mpg towing (diesel). A couple of caveats: The conector piece under the bumper is European! You have to buy an American adapter for about $65 at the dealership. Also, using sway bars void the warranty, apparently due to the automatic stabilizer. And lastly, the max hitch weight is 616lbs. We are currently over that and looking to switch to one 40gal aluminum propane tank, and possibly 1 6volt battery. Should save us 60-80 lbs. We use the latest Prodigy 2 controller, though tough to figure out where to put the dang thing. Still don't have it calibrated right- cannot get the brakes to lock up to set calibration. But it is working and braking well, we can feel it.
kathyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #136
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
It is ironic......

that we continue to read about folks that are towing full height TT and are not using a WDH. I believe most of us understand that the WDH would be an added safety feature when towing these weights and sizes.

Heck, back in the 60's my dad towed light weight 15' to 17' TT's and wouldn't leave home without the added safety of a WDH.

Once again, shame on VW for creating this unfortunate dilemma.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #137
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid View Post
Each to their own. I can't see spending $50,000 for a tow vehicle that I have to extensively modify so that it can tow a rig within the tow ratings of the vehicle (7700 lbs).

My local Airstream dealer told me that adding a weight distributing hitch to a Touareg may void the warranty. He also told me they would not allow a test drive of an Airstream behind a Touareg. Finally he said they would not attach a brake controller on a Touareg. The dealer is Airstream Adventures Northwest, an exclusive Airstream dealer with locations in Portland and Seattle.

Up to that point I was ready to purchase a Touareg without any hesitation.
We have the 2011 Touareg TDI w/towing package, tow a 19' bambi just fine. Don't have the sway bars, but noticed a post that says you can get a sticker updating that info so your warranty isn't voided. The Salem OBrien's Volkswagen dealership installed our Prodigy brake controller and it seems to work just fine. I think the Touareg is a fine towing vehicle- excellent mileage, great turning radius, and not a huge honking rig that sticks halfway across the lane when it's parked. They're gettting some bad info at the airstream dlrship.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #138
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
We tow a 19' Bambi with a 2011 Touareg TDI. We are getting 19.2 miles towing it, and an astounding 33-34 mpg when not towing. Great SUV
Old 07-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #139
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyek View Post
We bot a 2011 Touareg TDI with towing package and tow a 19' flying cloud. It pulls like a dream, rpms rarely over 2000, and only on a steep uphill. Average mileage so far 33 mph not towing, 19.2 mpg towing (diesel). A couple of caveats: The conector piece under the bumper is European! You have to buy an American adapter for about $65 at the dealership. Also, using sway bars void the warranty, apparently due to the automatic stabilizer. And lastly, the max hitch weight is 616lbs. We are currently over that and looking to switch to one 40gal aluminum propane tank, and possibly 1 6volt battery. Should save us 60-80 lbs. We use the latest Prodigy 2 controller, though tough to figure out where to put the dang thing. Still don't have it calibrated right- cannot get the brakes to lock up to set calibration. But it is working and braking well, we can feel it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyek View Post
We have the 2011 Touareg TDI w/towing package, tow a 19' bambi just fine. Don't have the sway bars, but noticed a post that says you can get a sticker updating that info so your warranty isn't voided. The Salem OBrien's Volkswagen dealership installed our Prodigy brake controller and it seems to work just fine. I think the Touareg is a fine towing vehicle- excellent mileage, great turning radius, and not a huge honking rig that sticks halfway across the lane when it's parked. They're gettting some bad info at the airstream dlrship.
Your tongue wight exceeds the 616 lbs on the sticker and in the owner's manual so weight distributing hitch (WDH) or not you are exceeding VW recommended maximum tongue weight. Such a heavy tongue weight without a WDH can be very difficult to tow and could be dangerous as it could cause the front wheels of the tow vehicle to loose their grip on the road and reduce the braking efficiency of the Touareg especially during braking when the trailer tongue will dive and press down even harder increasing the tongue weight even more.

By helping move some of the tongue weight to the tow vehicle's front axle and trailer's axle a WDH would help keep all four wheels of the tow vehicle in contact with the road to provide better handling and control. The fact that VW explicitly does not allow a WDH greatly limits the Touareg's usefulness as a tow vehicle.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #140
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I find it interesting after 8 years owning Touaregs and after 5 years towing Airstreams with Touaregs, that others who have only read about them seem to know more absolute facts then I do.

I give up. You're all on your own here.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing capacity, touareg