Old 02-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #71
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
For whatever it's worth, I just drove from Colorado to Florida to pick up a 25FB and towing it with an '04 Touareg V8. So far 900 miles and no problems. I have a Hensley hitch that seems to be much more compatible than my old Equalizer. Trailer is level, car is level and the air suspension is staying fixed.

Granted, I am towing with empty tanks and a minimum of gear, food, clothing or camping equipment. The car is cruising along at 65mph and averaging 10.3mpg. Stays in 6th gear and only downshifts to 5th on hills. However that may change when I get to the mountains.

Not experiencing any sway and the wheelbase is not a problem with the Hensley. However, Scheck may be right that when loaded up with gear and some full tanks, that the limits may be getting pushed.

With that said, the Touareg tows like a truck, off roads like a jeep and handles like a Porsche. For a 20' or less, it is awesome!

Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post

Ironically, despite the heavier tongue weight, I'd bet dollars to donuts that a 23D (with a ~700 lb tongue weight) tows better than a 23FB with a sub-500 lb tongue weight...

Tom
I can tell you I don't have much towing experience. But with my touareg V8 I could hardly tell my 23D was back there. Even taking off from a standing start it wasn't noticeable really, unless I was on an incline. It did have to work to get going a bit when I was starting out and going uphill, and when I was climbing through the mountains on steep grades the engine worked, but I always felt like I had plenty of reserve power to accelerate even then. Towed beautifully, and switched lanes easily. I wouldn't tow it without an anti sway hitch though - used the equilizer, and the hensley or PP would probably be even better, but honestly not needed from what I experienced.

I got about 11.5 mpg towing it all the way back from LA to Denver (total average for the entire trip).

Old 02-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #73
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I also tow with a T-Reg but would not willing pull a 25 foot trailer. It's not the weight but the wheel base that is the deal breaker for me.

.02 cents.
Another view is that with the sure footedness of the T-reg (expensive technology/ state of the art design) that the wheel base factor is less of an issue.

Garth Cane (technical adviser for RV Lifestyle mag) once wrote " The T-reg towing the 30' Airstream was one of the most stable combinations I have ever tested".
Old 02-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #74
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Has anyone done homework in regards to the 2011 hybrid/380 Horsepower combined vs TDI?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #75
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Well - torque till you run out of battery juice then at the mercy of that smaller gas engine, tounge weight has got to be different as well as GVWR due to battery pack.

Love to see someone towing with a hybrid around hilly terrain, let alone along any mountain ranges - add some heat to the equation (strain on motors & batteries in 90 degree heat for long distances)... No Thank You!!!

You wanna tow - get the TDI diesel, in my opinion, hybrids are not for towing (at least as it applies in this instance with this platform) - I would even surmise the diesel giving you better gas mileage than the hybrid unless the majority of your driving is in the city.

Granted my two cents here, but I do have extensive towing experience with both the Cayenne S (Porsche V8 gas) & the Touareg TDI vehicles and have driven the Hybrid versions of both vehicles granted, in controlled environments. I feel, based on my experience, that I would be providing as good of an informed opinion as the next person...

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #76
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Arrow

Thanks for your input..If I may..see the specs below and as the 2011 is 400 lbs lighter and the battery portion seems to add only 174 Lbs. Curb weight TDI = 4974 and Hybrid = 5135 and in consideration of 400 lb diet from your previous T-Rex. I see weight compatability and huge increase in Hp /380, 330HP of it from the engine, vs TDI 225 Hp as well as 425 Lbs/ft torque vs. TDI 406 Lbs/ft. The gray area falls in the rpm torque between the two. This is the part I have questions about. Specifically the curve in towing and you guys are the pros at Airstream. Both are rated at 7,700 lbs towing. You are welcome to take me to school. These specs are available at vw.com. As far as gas mileage the star goes to the Hybrid in city, electric to 30mph and highway is within 3, daily driver wise. Cayenne does not offer a Diesel in the US but does offer the same Hybrid. It appears that VW will bring the V8 Diesel here within 2 years and all this will be a new ballgame. Thanks for helping.

HYBRID SYSTEM TypeParallel hybrid; one electric motor with compact disengagement clutch; mounted between 6-cylinder gasoline combustion engine and transmissionCombined system horsepower380 hpCombined system torque425 lbs/ft ENGINE Type3.0 TSIŽ, 6 cylinder, 24-valve, supercharged engineBore3.3 inStroke3.5 inDisplacement182.8 cu. In. Compression Ratio10.5:1Horsepower (SAE) @ rpm333 hp @ 5,500 - 6,500 rpmMaximum torque, lbs - ft @ rpm325 @ 3,000 to 5,250 rpm Fuel RequirementPremium UnleadedFiring Order1-4-3-6-2-5Engine ManagementBosch Motronic MED 17.1.6ENGINE DESIGN ArrangementFront mounted, longitudinalCylinder BlockAluminum alloyCrank ShaftForged steel, 4 main bearingsCylinder HeadAluminum alloy, cross flowValve TrainDual overhead camshaft, chain driven, four valves per cylinder, maintenance free hydraulic lifters, variable valve timingCooling SystemWater cooled, switchable water pump, cross flow radiator, thermostatically controlled electric radiator fan; integrated charge air cooling in supercharger module with separate low temperature coolingLubricationChain-driven 2-stage vane pumpFuel / Air SupplySupercharger, direct injection, intake manifold with variable charge motion, variable intake cam timingELECTRICAL MOTOR Horsepower46 hp Maximum torque, lbs/ft @ rpm221 lbs/ft HYBRID BATTERY Battery typeNickel-hydride metallicVoltage288VNumber of Cells240Weight173.8 lbs
HYBRID SYSTEM TypeParallel hybrid; one electric motor with compact disengagement clutch; mounted between 6-cylinder gasoline combustion engine and transmissionCombined system horsepower380 hpCombined system torque425 lbs/ft ENGINE Type3.0 TSIŽ, 6 cylinder, 24-valve, supercharged engineBore3.3 inStroke3.5 inDisplacement182.8 cu. In. Compression Ratio10.5:1Horsepower (SAE) @ rpm333 hp @ 5,500 - 6,500 rpmMaximum torque, lbs - ft @ rpm325 @ 3,000 to 5,250 rpm Fuel RequirementPremium UnleadedFiring Order1-4-3-6-2-5Engine ManagementBosch Motronic MED 17.1.6ENGINE DESIGN ArrangementFront mounted, longitudinalCylinder BlockAluminum alloyCrank ShaftForged steel, 4 main bearingsCylinder HeadAluminum alloy, cross flowValve TrainDual overhead camshaft, chain driven, four valves per cylinder, maintenance free hydraulic lifters, variable valve timingCooling SystemWater cooled, switchable water pump, cross flow radiator, thermostatically controlled electric radiator fan; integrated charge air cooling in supercharger module with separate low temperature coolingLubricationChain-driven 2-stage vane pumpFuel / Air SupplySupercharger, direct injection, intake manifold with variable charge motion, variable intake cam timingELECTRICAL MOTOR Horsepower46 hp Maximum torque, lbs/ft @ rpm221 lbs/ft HYBRID BATTERY Battery typeNickel-hydride metallicVoltage288VNumber of Cells240Weight173.8 lbs
Old 02-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
You are getting 221 lbs torque from the motor running off of the batteries - you use up the juice in the batteries and the motor is only capable of 204 lbs torque plus it's trying to charge the batteries while going up that hill over the pass (actually I would think it's smart enough not to waste the little bit of torque it has on charging the batteries while going up a hill, especially a grade but)...

Hybrids are great till the battery reserve is gone... No battery and your depending on that little engine with a paltry amount of torque - horsepower won't help ya as torque is what gets you moving and takes you up over the hills (mountains, etc.)....

Hybrids are for city driving or short periods of boost with long periods of cursing at speed on level terrain.

BTW - that 173.8 lbs of battery is sitting right in your cargo area - reducing tounge weight - the previous generation vehicles were heavier due to a "true" off-road 4-wheel drive system, off-road suspension, etc. VW will be offering a true off-road package mid year that replaces the new 8 speed tranny and 4-wheel system with the previous systems and drive componets, tranny and plates - but that's off topic...

You wanna tow with a hybrid - then make sure it's all downhill....

I love the German SUV's to death - and even thought about a Cayenne Hybrid to replace my TDI that I sold for my new Tow Vehicle that just arrived (in fact almost ready to pull the trigg on one with my local Porsche dealer). That being said, I would never consider towing any Airstream larger than a 19' Bambi with either a Hybrid Touareg or Cayenne - and I'm not even so sure about that....
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 AM   #78
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
BTW - come visit us over at the Touareg Forums & Reenlist Forums - lot's of simular discussions you might be interested in if your seriously considering one of these vehicles...
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 02-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #79
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I understand...Thank You John.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Remember, I'm just giving you my opinion but one hopefully that carries a little weight, keep researching and let us know what you find out.
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 04-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #81
can't finish anyth

2006 19' International CCD
2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Pulling the 28 International with the 2010 Touareg TDI (air suspension)

Initial thoughts: LOVE IT.

I'm on my way back to Dallas from having the rig set up and I could not be happier with the result. Here's what I did:

Swapped the Reese dual-cam (which did just fine) for the ProPride hitch which is far superior. I brought the rig up to Sean and saw the operation first hand. Sean runs a tidy shop and couldn't be nicer. It was great to be able to meet Kenny the welder and get the hitch set up properly by the manufacturer. If you can, GO!

Next we drove over the boarder to Can-Am RV in London, Ontario where the vehicle had reinforcements made to the receiver assembly. Andy did a fine job on the car as promised, but I think he may have added some unnecessary additional work when he saw that i already had the ProPride. Can-Am sells the competitor. At the end of the six-hour day, the reinforcements cost double the original estimates.

End result: the rig is very, very stable and drives great. The TDI is a capable engine averaging 14 mpg fully loaded and yanking around a 7,300 pound beast of a trailer.

I'm happiest because I have a fun-to-drive daily driver that can pull the trailer up just about any incline and get us home safely. I'll post pictures shortly.

From the parking lot at Airstream in Jackson Center, OH, CHEERS!

Javier
(tricked-out techie twinkie)
2007 Ford F-150 SuperCab.
2010 Touareg TDI
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #82
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A little overkill is a good thing, IMO. I'm impressed by the trailer brand choice, the TV choice, the hitch and the fine tuning work. Hope you'll give us more in the way of derived numbers, pics and descriptions!!
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #83
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Volkswagon towing capacity...dang I'm just too old to accept that phrase.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Javier, keep an eye on your hitch to frame mounting points, fellow Cayenne owners (three now) and one T-Rex owners have found bent/deformed bolts observed from bottom of tow vehicles when on jacks.

Keep within your prescribed weights, keep an eye especially on your tongue weight and T-Rex max GVWR limitations and you should have many years of fun with your tv/Airstream package!

**I Love U.S.A.**

Tags
towing capacity, touareg