Old 08-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Now I'm jealous

JSCheck

Glad to see that your set up worked. I've just seen your pictures here and on the Treg forum. It sure does look nice and now I am sure of what to get also. I have been busy over my head lately with the move from Canada and starting the new responsabilities. We ended up buying a house, so I can't afford both right now, but I will definitely get the Treg soon knowing it can pull the trailer I want to get in 2 or 3 years. My new debate is either to get the heavier 2010 or the more fuel efficient 2011... Currently shopping for deals on a 2010 TDI.

Enjoy your Airstream, I am truly jealous!

Simon

Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #44
can't finish anyth

2006 19' International CCD
2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas
JFScheck! Do you have the air suspension on the T-Rex? How is that working with the PP? I just picked up my 2010 T-Rex on Friday... The financing deal was too good to pass up. I'll be heading up to the folks at CanAm RV in Toronto to do the final set up.

Cheers,

Javier

(tricked-out techie twinkie)
2007 Ford F-150 SuperCab.
2010 Touareg TDI
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #45
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by geosimsimma View Post
JSCheck

Glad to see that your set up worked. I've just seen your pictures here and on the Treg forum. It sure does look nice and now I am sure of what to get also. I have been busy over my head lately with the move from Canada and starting the new responsabilities. We ended up buying a house, so I can't afford both right now, but I will definitely get the Treg soon knowing it can pull the trailer I want to get in 2 or 3 years. My new debate is either to get the heavier 2010 or the more fuel efficient 2011... Currently shopping for deals on a 2010 TDI.

Enjoy your Airstream, I am truly jealous!

Simon
I would go with the heavier rig for towing comfort.

$ .02

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #46
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfStream View Post
JFScheck! Do you have the air suspension on the T-Rex? How is that working with the PP? I just picked up my 2010 T-Rex on Friday... The financing deal was too good to pass up. I'll be heading up to the folks at CanAm RV in Toronto to do the final set up.

Cheers,

Javier
We coulda just re-tuned that 440. Duals, Thermoquad, headers, a cam swap, MSD, and 3.31 gears. No louder than stock, relatively. Better mileage as well. Gettin' fancy, an OD transmission, Koni shocks, torsion bars from the 1969 Tow Package and all the 1970's HD Police Pursuit pieces from Ma Mopar. Much more fun than a Hun-mobile. (Too bad it's a convertible, the '67-'68 is a classic TV).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I had air-suspension on my Cayenne S - I purposely wanted "No Air" on the T-Rex because I knew I was going to be using a load displacing hitch (Pro Pride) and the Steel is better than Air when displacing large tongue loads on the VW\Porsche SUV's - with Air you need to disable it any-hoots when towing with a load displacing hitch - and I always tow with one so.....

As for driving around when not towing - I love the feel of the steel over the air - but that's my opinion although I do often drive my 997 S and 997 Turbo (both Carrera 911's - and my wife's Boxster as well as an Audi S4 & S6) so you see what I'm used to feeling when I drive...

If Porsche had a Diesel - I would have purchased another one but still have went with the no "Air" options but it is nice if your crossing streams or for low level load mode...

Tows like a dream - getting ready to come back across the country in a month from San Diego to the East Coast via the Rockies once again...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
I'm strongly considering a 2008 Touareg V6 (3.6L - a little larger than the older 3.2's) and a 25'FB late model international combination. Reading through the above posts it seems like this setup might work, though I realize the 25' is being towed by a TDI. Is there a big difference in towing between the 3.6 and the TDI?

For reference I will be towing through the mountains of Colorado often. Any advice is appreciated. Should I consider a V8 instead of the V6? I won't purchase new, but perhaps if absolutely necessary I could get a 1 year old TDI if thats the best way to go, but would really prefer to save the $ and buy a '08 v6.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Wisconsin
Touareg 2 TDI

I have owned 3 Touaregs. The smaller 6 (3.2) The 3.6 v6 and a 2010 TDI. I have trailered a 6800lb boat and dual axel trailer with all of them but only the Airstream 25FB with the TDI. The Airstream trailers better than the boat even thogh it is heavier. There was some improvement in going to the 3.6 but there is no comparison with what you get with the TDI. The TDI is vastly superior. There is more torque with the TDI than even the V8 (420lbs)and the fuel economy is much better whether towing or not. With the TDI I can go up hills at the speed limit that before I struggled to get up towing the boat. The TDI will pull you away from traffic signals with ease. I previously posted our experience towing the Airstream down the Oregon coast and the mountains of Northern California.

My advice for what you are towing and where you are towing--get the TDI.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Sorry guys - just got back from towing the "Silver Twinkie" from San Diego back once again across county to it's Washington D.C. house via the Rockies so we could have a nice five day stay in our lovely "Steamboat Springs". After being home for two days we headed to Penn State for parents weekend and just got back home a few hours ago....

So - would I tow my 25FB Classic with a "T-Rex" or "Pepper" V6 gas engine? No - not enough torque for the Rockies or even the Appalachian's heading from Maryland to Penn State. Now the TDI at 407 lbs is a beast with Great gas milage - LOVE the look of those F150's & 1500's looking at me driving up the mountains and them wishing they too had a diesel....

**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 10-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
And as you can see - last week when we drove through the Rockies the Aspens were just starting to explode!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10SteamBoatCrossCountryTRexMtns.jpg
Views:	5329
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	112458  
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 10-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks for the great feedback, and I love the pic! Nice to see what my eventual rig will look like.

So I'm getting that the TDI has a lot more torque than either of the older v6's. So what about a comparison to the V8? I just think the TDI is out of my budget, so though the TDI sounds like it would probably be the #1 choice, how do you think the v8 would do as a #2 option?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
The TDI has more torque than the V8 (and I owned a Porsche Cayenne S with a V8) BUT that being said - the V8 powered T-Rex's and Peppers would be great tow vehicles - my Cayenne S was - but the gas mileage I get with the TDI really is short of amazing....

Who know's - you may still find a TDI at a good price - other wise LOTS of V8's out there just waiting for ya!!!
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 10-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Scaly Mountain , North Carolina
I just came back from a trip to Colorado and Wyoming towing with my 2006 Touareg V10 Diesel. I'm towing a 21 foot 1993 Sovereign. I had no trouble with the grades anywhere, it towed like a dream. I highly recommend it if you can find one. The torque is outstanding (555 ft-lbs).
Old 10-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
That V-10 is a beast but a little too thirsty for my needs - rumor has it the new V8 TDI will come over to the US - more power than the old V10 oil burner but better milage and cleaner as the current V6 TDI (same technology)...
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Scaly Mountain , North Carolina
We got 17 mpg on the trip at 60 mph.

Tags
towing capacity, touareg