What do you get without the trailer?

Old 08-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #17
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Towing

15 to 18 mpg.
I live in florida so most everything is flat.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Would you consider the new Mercedes ML's (320 - Diesels) similar to the Toureg in towing capacity, length of trailer, etc.?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The Mercedes is similar but it has been reported that to some degree it out shines the VW's in overall towing performance. That is the gas versions. Not sure what effect diesel option has in the whole equation.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
there , Wisconsin
Touarge towing cap.??? hahaha... not an isssue, even if its a 155 ton 747 ! !
YouTube - Fifth Gear: VW Touareg Tows A 747
Old 08-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
Question Toureg and Porsche Cayenne share the same chassis

I don`t mean to high-jack this thread, but since the Porsche Cayenne shares the same chassis I need some information on towing capacity and tongue weight. My wife would prefer to full-time in an Airstream Classic 30 or 34 S/O. I`m trying to figure out if a Cayenne is going to be able to tow this size trailer. I found a Porsche Cayenne Class 3 hitch rated at an unbelievable GTW of 6000 lbs. on the Internet. This has to be an error. Is it possible to have that high a tongue weight?

According to the Airstream web-page, The 30` S/O has a hitch weight of 1050, UBW of 7940 and GVWR of 10,000. I don`t think a Cayenne could safely pull this kind of weight. If I`m wrong let me know. If there is a better TV that I should consider I would appreciate some input.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #22
Airstream Pilot

Seattle , Washington
Reading the info on this forum and I would stay 25' or under for the Cayenne. I think 30' is pushing it.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikusho! View Post
I`m trying to figure out if a Cayenne is going to be able to tow this size trailer.
There are very few TV's that can wrestle a good sized TT into submission. The Porsche Cayenne is a vehicle that qualifies for that elite status. This video clip illustrates..... Airstream, Inc :: Why Buy?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #24

Amarillo , Texas
Touareg 2 TDi

Does anybody use one of these?

It's a 3.0 TDi with 225 HP and 406 lbs/ft of torque.

I am looking into a 22' Sport that stays within the recommended/required tongue weight for the Touareg.

According to my info tongue weight for this vehicle should not exceed 616#.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I have a 09 TDI

I have a 09 TDI (v6), while I have not towed anything but a motorcycle trailer I can tell you that the torque is more evident when driving it than my big block suburban (8.1). The other thing that would make this a RV tow vehicle is when you let off of the throttle it has a respectable engine breaking aspect to it. I can drive it like a manual transmission just by letting off the throttle and it will slow down for red lights etc.

My mileage has been awesome. While I only have 7k on it, I am getting a strong 26 with total mixed city/highway. I think I could easily go over 30 if I did highway and kept an eye on my speed.

Great car.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Wisconsin
Touareg 2 TDI

I just finished towing a 25 FB Flying Cloud 3,000+ miles from the West coast of Oregon through the mountains and narrow windy and winding roads along the coast, through California and the the desert to Tucson and then Interstate highways back to Wisconsin with our 2010 Touareg TDI. It pulled the the trailer without any problems at all--no sway and plenty of power to spare in the mountains and acceleration on the flats when you needed it. This is the third Touareg we have owned and by far the best. 26-27 mpg when not towing at 75-80 mph and 13-14 in the mountains 16-17 on the flats when towing.

The vehicle with factory hitch has a rated tongue weight of 770 lbs as stated in the manual. Some factory hitches have a label which VW has confirmed to me is erroneous. They have verified that the factory hitch meets the published specs and the label is incorrect. All my previous hitches were labeled as 770 and 7700 lbs as the published specs state.

I fully agree with the comments of SafariSS with respect to the engine braking and that it is a great vehicle and fun to drive.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
RPM of peak torque??

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnroth View Post
I just finished towing a 25 FB Flying Cloud 3,000+ miles from the West coast of Oregon through the mountains and narrow windy and winding roads along the coast, through California and the the desert to Tucson and then Interstate highways back to Wisconsin with our 2010 Touareg TDI. It pulled the the trailer without any problems at all--no sway and plenty of power to spare in the mountains and acceleration on the flats when you needed it. This is the third Touareg we have owned and by far the best. 26-27 mpg when not towing at 75-80 mph and 13-14 in the mountains 16-17 on the flats when towing.

The vehicle with factory hitch has a rated tongue weight of 770 lbs as stated in the manual. Some factory hitches have a label which VW has confirmed to me is erroneous. They have verified that the factory hitch meets the published specs and the label is incorrect. All my previous hitches were labeled as 770 and 7700 lbs as the published specs state.

I fully agree with the comments of SafariSS with respect to the engine braking and that it is a great vehicle and fun to drive.
Should our Dodge ever bite the dust, we would consider the Touareg TDI seriously as a replacement. I haven't been able to get the specs from our local VW dealer, so could you please let us know the RPM at which the torque peaks? Also, what RPM do you experience towing in the 55 to 65 MPH range?

Thanks in advance.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Madison , Wisconsin
RPM Peak Torque-VW Touareg TDI

According to the VW website, 406lbs of torque at 1,750-2,250 rpms.

The RPM towing at 55-65 mph were in the low 2,000 rpms as best I can recall. I don't believe I ever exceeded 3,000 RPMs for any reason.

Tags
towing capacity, touareg