Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #169
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Where the heck did the find an attachment point for that front hitch?

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #170
can't finish anyth

2006 19' International CCD
2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Trip Report - Towing 28 foot international with TDI

We just finished a two week trip from Dallas, Texas to Canada crossing through Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado (Glacier, Yellowstone & Grand Teton Parks) on the return and the performance was, in a word: AWESOME.

The airstream was reasonably loaded with gear, food, and fresh water and the Touareg also carried twin honda 2000 generators in a Rhino Rack roof basket. The TDI put out more than enough torque to handle 8% grade ascents and decents on US89 for miles without hesitation and at a decent speed. (Easily maintained uphill speeds near the summit at 65mph with 2800 rpm after a 2-mile climb). All this and I averaged 15mph towing a full load.

My 2010 TDI is equipped:
3.6L TDI engine
Air Suspension
20" high performance, low profile wheels with big disc brakes at all four corners.
Factory Tow Package
ProPride P3 Hitch 1000# weight distribution bars
Hitch receiver reinforcement (welded bar support from receiver box to rear suspension structure) courtesy of Can-Am in London, Ontario.
Tenkonsha P3 Brake Controller (set to Large Trailer and boost at 8.0)

Assessment:
I am happy with my set up and thankful to everyone on here who provided wisdom and positive encouragement.

The rig stops straight and quickly, (even in emergency situations) is incredibly manuverable thanks to the ProPride Hitch, very stable at all speeds and on all road conditions (rough, windy, rainy, uphill, downhill), and a pleasure to drive with and without the A/S in tow. There were no "white knuckle" moments and 50 mph cross winds had little effect. For me (and my set up is NOT for everyone), I get the trailer I want and a great daily driving vehicle.

That said, I did my homework and paid to have my rig properly configured without cutting corners. Great trip, great adventure! And we're home safe and sound.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TowReg.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	140636  

(tricked-out techie twinkie)
2007 Ford F-150 SuperCab.
2010 Touareg TDI
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
GolfStream, can you PLEASE post a few pics of the CAN-AM hitch mod, including attachment points? I have considered this but I'm afraid that it takes away from ground clearence and departure angle. This is important to me as I off road mine. Also, have you weighed in at the scales? Rear axle overloading is the biggest problem with the heavy tongue weight in the long trailers. My trailer is close to 1000# of tongue weight, and the rear axles and suspension takes the brunt of it.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #172
can't finish anyth

2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
GolfStream, can you PLEASE post a few pics of the CAN-AM hitch mod, including attachment points? I have considered this but I'm afraid that it takes away from ground clearence and departure angle. This is important to me as I off road mine. Also, have you weighed in at the scales? Rear axle overloading is the biggest problem with the heavy tongue weight in the long trailers. My trailer is close to 1000# of tongue weight, and the rear axles and suspension takes the brunt of it.
The Tow-Reg went into service when I got home yesterday (oil change). I'll post fresh pics when he comes out.
2010 Touareg TDI
Old 09-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #173
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
I see absolutely nothing wrong using a VW to tow an Airstream.

Randy
Hi Randy,

Love the TV. I have a '59 Bug with the original 36 HP 1,000cc motor. I guess that I could use that as my new TV, it is just broken in at 500,000 miles. Terminal speed though would probably have to be 15 mph as I would never make it out of first gear. As for stopping, I'd probably have would have better luck using the AS's breaks to stop both. The real question is when going up hills, do I get out and push the TV or the AS?

Cheers,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #174
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid View Post
This sticker looks just like the one I saw on the 2011 TDI I was looking at. Tongue weight rating is 616 LBS. The same Tongue wight figure also appears in the Owner's Manual.
Very strange, I test drove a 2011 TDI LUX with the factory hitch at Santa Monica VW in July and it listed the 770 pound tongue weight on the sticker. I've spoken with VW service reps and they have all assured me that it is in fact 770. Also they have indicated that with steel springs in the back (no air leveling) that WD hitches were OK.

I really like the TREX TDI, but since I'm buying a new TV, I feel safer going with a Ford or GM product, no hassles with break controllers and no uncertainties with capabilities.

Cheers,
Rion
Old 09-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #175
can't finish anyth

2010 28' International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinMame View Post
Very strange, I test drove a 2011 TDI LUX with the factory hitch at Santa Monica VW in July and it listed the 770 pound tongue weight on the sticker. I've spoken with VW service reps and they have all assured me that it is in fact 770. Also they have indicated that with steel springs in the back (no air leveling) that WD hitches were OK.

I really like the TREX TDI, but since I'm buying a new TV, I feel safer going with a Ford or GM product, no hassles with break controllers and no uncertainties with capabilities.

Cheers,
Rion

The 2011 is a new design. Mine is the 2010 and is a bit heavier
2010 Touareg TDI
Old 09-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #176
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Yes - 2010 has beefier suspension and 4x4 system then 3rd generation models...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinMame View Post
You're right - a GM or Ford can get you a built-in brake controller and big capacity numbers. The set-up is easier; I tow with different vehicles often and I like plug-and-play wiring.

But. The body-on-frame GM and Ford SUVs don't drive like a Touareg. Putting in the effort in the beginning to wire the tow vehicle (which you do once) is rewarded if you get something you prefer to drive every other day of ownership.

Personally, I prefer the 2011+ Tregs - they feel lighter to drive (I've driven several), the nav/electronics have a better interface, and I wouldn't off-road it so I wouldn't miss the hardware omissions there. But I understand the fans of the earlier 'eggs...

Tom
Old 09-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #178
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I Didn't Know That...

Thanks GolfStream & JFScheck,

I didn't realize that the TREX was redesigned in 2011, I was under the impression (mistakenly) that the redesign was done in 2010... I learn something new everyday

Cheers,
Rion
Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #179
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
You're right - a GM or Ford can get you a built-in brake controller and big capacity numbers. The set-up is easier; I tow with different vehicles often and I like plug-and-play wiring.

But. The body-on-frame GM and Ford SUVs don't drive like a Touareg. Putting in the effort in the beginning to wire the tow vehicle (which you do once) is rewarded if you get something you prefer to drive every other day of ownership.

Personally, I prefer the 2011+ Tregs - they feel lighter to drive (I've driven several), the nav/electronics have a better interface, and I wouldn't off-road it so I wouldn't miss the hardware omissions there. But I understand the fans of the earlier 'eggs...

Tom
Hi Tom,

I agree completely with you, the 2011 TREX drives like a dream. In an attempt to avoid 10mpg while towing I started with a list that included the following, ML350 BluTec, TREX TDI, F150 EcoBoost, F250 PSD, and GMC Duramax. The only ones still left standing after driving all of these (in 2011 guise) are the F250 PSD and the TREX. The dealer that I test drove the TREX at really let me have a good long test drive that included surface streets of varying conditions and freeway driving. I was impressed with the responsiveness of the TDI and felt "planted" on the roadway.

Having a TV that one could drive daily would be nice. Just out of curiosity, have you had any special reinforcements done the factory hitch on yours? Also, where did you get the trailer break controller installed, at the dealer, do it yourself, or elsewhere? I've talked with a number of VW dealers and they seem perplexed by the whole break controller concept.

Happy Airstreaming,
Rion
Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #180
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Rion, the Touareg I've driven belongs to my office. Just like you encountered, our dealer was worthless at trailer-specific help. He suggested going to an RV shop, which wasn't something we really wanted to do with a new $50k car.

Since our particular Treg lacks the factory 7-pin wiring (but has a hitch) and I wasn't going to spend hours wiring something I don't own, I haven't towed the Argosy with it. We have used it to tow a loaded car trailer (which only needs 4-pin wiring and doesn't need a brake controller since it has surge brakes instead of electric) and it works very, very well.

That said, I did wire up my personal tow vehicle (a Honda Odyssey) and I had CanAm reinforce the hitch. Obviously they're too far away for you to go there, but I would call them and ask what exactly they do to reinforce Touareg hitches - Andy Thomson is very open with advice and can probably point you in the right direction for a more-local solution.

Read through this thread - some 2011 Treg owners report on finding the harness and ordering the parts needed to hook up the controller.

Tom
Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #181
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Rion, the Touareg I've driven belongs to my office. Just like you encountered, our dealer was worthless at trailer-specific help. He suggested going to an RV shop, which wasn't something we really wanted to do with a new $50k car.

Since our particular Treg lacks the factory 7-pin wiring (but has a hitch) and I wasn't going to spend hours wiring something I don't own, I haven't towed the Argosy with it. We have used it to tow a loaded car trailer (which only needs 4-pin wiring and doesn't need a brake controller since it has surge brakes instead of electric) and it works very, very well.

That said, I did wire up my personal tow vehicle (a Honda Odyssey) and I had CanAm reinforce the hitch. Obviously they're too far away for you to go there, but I would call them and ask what exactly they do to reinforce Touareg hitches - Andy Thomson is very open with advice and can probably point you in the right direction for a more-local solution.

Read through this thread - some 2011 Treg owners report on finding the harness and ordering the parts needed to hook up the controller.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the information, a very informative thread. I'll keep in in mind as the 2012s are or will be arriving at the dealers shortly.

Cheers,
Rion
Old 09-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
From what I've seen, most new Tregs with the hitch now come with the optional 7-pin connector wiring. Ours was an early-build that lacked that wiring.

Tom

Tags
towing capacity, touareg