Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #43
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If everyone's idea of style and beauty were the same, we'd all be driving 1967 white Chevrolet long-bed pickups with 350 engine, automatic transmission, and air conditioning, towing white-box travel trailers.
While I don't like surgically altered vehicles, I can appreciate the time, skill, and effort involved in performing the surgery.
And don't get me started about aluminum wheels, I have very strong negative feelings about them.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
And don't get me started about aluminum wheels, I have very strong negative feelings about them.
Hmmmm Terry, remind me not to show you pictures of the new wheels I bought for Goliath...

Just kidding. The Overlander will continue to ride on the normal wheels with moon hub caps. One day I'll even get everythnig powder-coated and chromed to sparkle like new!

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Agreed!

Gene
Old 04-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #46
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
After reading this thread I was compelled to go put the 2" dropped spindles on my '57 Safari wagon today. I'd been procrastinating, one of those I'll get around to doing it's, but thanks to you folks I got the ambition I needed to get it done.

Then I look at my car, a milestone car, and quite rare, and I'm really happy the way it has turned out. I've owned it 30 years and have constantly been modifying it to meet the changes in demands that we put on it. It is an excellent long range TV, has all the options we have in our new cars excepting A/C which I chose to not install, and we and the 11 other car club members we typically tow with have a tremendous amount of fun.

Thank heavens we live in a world where that is not only acceptable but encouraged as our right.

Now to go leave some carbon footprint on the road somewhere, oh, and here's a picture of what the results of today's efforts are.
Barry
Hey Barry, all I can say is on your restore, totally bitchen, man... that's one mighty fine lookin' wagon!
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Memories of Dagmar

Barry, your wagon looks great, but I have to admit whenever I look at those tail fins, I start laughing just like I did when they were new. I guess neither I nor the fins have changed.

Somehow, I am reminded of "Dagmars". When I spent a couple of summers with my grandmother in the late '40's I was allowed to stay up as late as I wanted which meant I was one the few little kids then who saw Broadway Open House (what was on before the Tonight Show) which featured the well endowed Dagmar, a classic "blonde bombshell". In 1947, Cadillac came out with a front bumper that reminded people of Dagmar.

See: Dagmar bumpers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Needless to say, this experience has forever warped me.

Gene
Old 04-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
"Okay, flame away at me if you feel so compelled, if I can take my parents' abuse regarding my music preferences, I can take the heat on a message board as well....

-Marcus"

Aww Marcus! It takes the fun out of it when you're expecting it!
Steven
Old 04-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #49
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenG View Post

Aww Marcus! It takes the fun out of it when you're expecting it!
Steven
He's well protected. I left my spare Moderator's flame-retardent suit in Goliath...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Study of Nude with Figure in Mirror sold for nearly $40 million. I don't get it, but I'll readily admit that I'm no art expert. I'm not going to harsh on someone for their taste in music, art, literature, etc., but I'm also not going to pretend I think something looks good if I think it looks silly. And at the risk of offending someone, I really don't think all art, or all music, or all literature, or all cars... are equally good with respect to aesthetics. In that world, a '73 Gremlin would be no more or less equal in beauty than a '59 Corvette... or more to the point, that the Aristocrat of my nightmares is no more or less beautiful than the '67 Overlander of my dreams.

I know... one man's trash is another man's treasure. But while I'm not an expert in theories of art and aesthetics, my gut sense is that some things are just not art... and some things are.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #51
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I wish you guys would post more pictures of old trucks, that's good stuff.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Here is mine.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0536.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	78158  
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Hey folks, you will get no flaming from me. I think what ever someone does to their car, their house, their body is their own thing. I try to stay out of other peoples likes and dislikes, but at the same time, I'm not shy about my love of taking something I like and enhancing it to my tastes.

My brother isn't fond of what I do to my cars and trucks and I tease him for feeling he needs Ford's (Henry at that) approval, in writing, before he changes a nut or bolt. My dad bought me a 1932 Ford for my first vehicle and he had visions of us restoring it together. He was quite surprised when a few weeks later it emerged as a hot rod. He didn't say anything at the time, just got involved in helping me keep it tuned and to get it safetied and insured, but years later he did say that if he'd of known I was going to do what I did to it he'd of kept it for himself and bought me a 40 Ford or something - now that got my ears perked up. Rather than think jeez, I disappointed my dad, I thought jeez, I coulda had a 40 Ford tudor - now that would have been neat. When I told him we got quite a chuckle out of it. He never did tell me where the 40 could be found though.

I get feed back both ways at events and after a while you learn to just shrug it off. I appreciate the kind words regarding my car and I know there are others biting their tongues (fingers?) thinking "what was he thinkking?" and that is what this is all about. But I look at Juel's truck, and Bill's truck and then Bob's 53, and the other cars posted here and on other threads, and each of the owners has expressed their own individuality in how they have presented it. I like the fact that no two have been done, or kept, the same.

So don't take my comments as negative, they are simply my comments in the same way others are commenting. It isn't worth getting upset over, they are all just people's thoughts and nothing more than that. And it was motivating for me in the fact that I've been sitting on those dropped spindles for a while now and thinking should I get off my butt and do it this year or should I wait till next winter, and I realized that if I didn't do it now I'd not have the pleasure of enjoying it slammed, so now it is done . And a few other things got done as well that needed doing but were not getting done due to a motivational issue.

Now, I need a bit of motivation for changing the 3" sewer valve on the flying cloud.

Barry
Old 04-10-2009, 03:33 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Fins and Dagmar's

Gene,

I know what you mean about the fins. I'd had a couple of 57 Chev's and wasn't that keen on the fins. The Caddy's in particular used to make me wonder. When I discovered Pontiac's and their smaller fins (relative of course to the Chevy) I liked the look, and overall I preferred the record holder grill. But alas, it was Dagmar less. Any easy cure. A trip to the local wrecking yard and a 53 Caddy was suddenly embarrassingly without and my Pontiac took on a whole new attitude. Whistles from the boys, it got awkward. I see someone now sells a new chrome plated set of Dagmar's for the 567 Chev's and 57 Pontiac's, various Caddy's etc. for $40 on eBay. Pretty the old girl up a bit . I thought really hard about putting '56 Lincoln tail lights in the Pontiac but the look of the originals won out when the other love of my life decided that the reflection of the lights in the chrome at night was a nicer look.

I must admit to seeing one of the "disasters" I suspect initiated this thread to start with while we were in Squim, WA last fall. The lady in the passenger seat looked like if she could find an excuse to walk through town she'd of done so but the driver was very proud of what he'd built. I was going to take a picture and then thought perhaps not as it might leave the impression that I was doing so because I liked what I saw. I know, not nice of me, but gosh it was scary. We saw it more than once so we figured he was cruising town, back and forth, on a busy evening.

Barry
Old 04-10-2009, 06:14 AM   #55
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Trucks is Good....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02010.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	78162   Click image for larger version

Name:	picture13.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	78163  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Ok! My work horse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	375.9 KB
ID:	78168  

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT