Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Led Zeppelin? What about The Four Tops and 26 cents a gallon gasoline? Of course, I was only making 50 cents an hour back then, and glad to get that! And I agree with InsideOut, taking a basket case or some pile from the junk yard and rescuing it from junk into a rod is ok, even great! But to take a cherry car and chop it up...well, personally, I think something else ought to be chopped, but that's another opinion entirely!
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
What exactly is the point of the low profile tires on a 1/2 pickup?
About 10 years ago we were traveling home from the East coast.

I caught a glimpse in the rear view mirror of something coming up fast from behind us. A few seconds later the sweet exhaust note of a jet black Ford Lightning blew past us.

I don't have much interest in pick ups but that one put a smile on my face.

Although the tow rating is not very generous and probably understated, I would bet dollars to doughnuts the Lightning would make a very stable platform as a TV. Those sticky, low profile performance tires being part of the formula.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Since I made a very good living in the hot rod business for 50 years, I love 'em all! The extended cab 29 CCPU is a daily driver, the 46 Pontiac woodie is nothing but fun, the roadster has won several awards and the 66 Olds Toronado leaves a hell of a carbon foot print at 385 HP!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02607.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	78050   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-040S.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	78051  

Name:	MVC-027S.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	78052   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00006.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	607.0 KB
ID:	78053  

Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I think each generation has its own fads that older generation drivers can't understand. I owned a 1938 Ford Deluxe two-door in 1952. One of the first things I did was put longer shackles on the rear springs to lower the body. It didn't help the drive-ability, it hurt it big-time; but I was in style man! Some of the cars of this era were lowered so radically that they had casters on the rear bumper to assist when going over a dip. It wasn't too long until the fad reversed and every "in guy" had a car with a California rake-- front end as low as possible and rear end elevated. Go figure. It would be interesting to learn how these fads get started.

By the way, that sixteen-year-old took a bad rap in the head putting those shackles on. I jacked up one end of the rear traverse spring in order to get the shackle on. Since I was pretty dumb about mechanical stuff I didn't take proper care to ensure that the jack was secure and as I worked, the spring tension kicked the jack out from the spring, right into my head. Oh the things we do to run with the crowd!

Gene
Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Drifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by genearnold View Post
I think each generation has its own fads that older generation drivers can't understand.

Gene
Kind'a like this I suppose. IMHO a waste of good rubber.

Age do's funny things don't it?
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Kind'a like this I suppose. IMHO a waste of good rubber.
I didn't mind wasting gas and burning rubber when my father was paying for it. But my first car was a '56 Mercury Custom with an automatic and there was no way to burn much rubber with that car. The important things was it was a car!.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Well then...

You're really not going to like the new DWR. It's got low profiles...

Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
My first truck was the '52, straight six 216 with "dippers" (partial oil pressure pump). It's still on the road, but it would be hard pressed to pull the Overlander. After I gave it to my nephew, he painted over the stock paint with "Corvette yellow." Ah, well, times change, I suppose.

I have more tolerance for rodding cars. A truck, however, is a working vehicle. To me, it's like putting a pink fuzzy collar on a good hunting dog. Some things just don't fit. For me, the beauty of a truck is revealed with a load of wood or feed in the back. Trucks just seem happier when they are doing what they were meant to do....
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Nice job on the DWR... now that made me laugh.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Back in the '60's and '70's, I put a lot of Cragar aluminum wheels, 60 and 50 series tires, and coil spring extension block in the back of cars to jack them up and make them look "cool". Much the same as 24" tires and wheels do now. And I think the 24's look just as odd as my parents thought all those Camaros and Lemanses did.
On new(er) vehicles, the computers may need to be reprogrammed for the different size tires and wheels. A kid brought in a Tahoe to remove the stock 17's, and put on 24's. When this was done, the truck wouldn't go over 10 mph, because the computer thought there was a problem, and activated the traction control.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #31
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
[QUOTE=airbassador;684791]You're really not going to like the new DWR. It's got low profiles...

And London Ont. sez....
Old 04-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Red Deer , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
What's the word on raising um?
Raising is okay. It's a truck.

My neighbour is a good example of this truck lowering crowd. He seams to think that lowering his late 70's Chevy pick-up has made it handle better than a Corvette.
canadianguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #33
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianguy View Post
Raising is okay. It's a truck.

My neighbour is a good example of this truck lowering crowd. He seams to think that lowering his late 70's Chevy pick-up has made it handle better than a Corvette.
Dunno about handling better than a Corvette, but basic physics will bear out that if you lower the center of gravity it should handle better. Ever seen the gees you can pull with an Enduro Cart?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #34
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
About 10 years ago we were traveling home from the East coast.

I caught a glimpse in the rear view mirror of something coming up fast from behind us. A few seconds later the sweet exhaust note of a jet black Ford Lightning blew past us.

I don't have much interest in pick ups but that one put a smile on my face.

Although the tow rating is not very generous and probably understated, I would bet dollars to doughnuts the Lightning would make a very stable platform as a TV. Those sticky, low profile performance tires being part of the formula.

Personally I think it would be hard to beat Gale Banks' tow vehicle...not only did it tow it's own race trailer to the Bonneville Salt Flats, but also made a 220+mph pass to set the world's record for the fastest diesel truck

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
Cool

All old vehicles are nice whether they be stock or modified, thats what makes us individuals. I've owned hot rods and street rods for 50 years. Currently we have a 1948 Cadillac sedanette. It has a late model suspension and late model drive train, with all the options of a new car. I can get on the highway set the cruise control on 75, turn the air conditioner on, tune in the satellite radio and drive, and if I do have trouble, any auto parts store will have the needed parts to fix. We drive 7500 -10000 miles a year
lsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington

Name:	P1010286.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	78129

Name:	P1010297.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	78130

Name:	P1010301.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	78131
I happened across this thread and had to toss in a couple of pictures. That is my 38 Ford COE. It is totally original except the engine. It is running a 3.2 liter A series 6 cylinder Cummins turbo diesel. I shoe horned it in without cutting any sheet metal. No I can't paint it because I'm afraid to lose the natural "patina". The car on the back of the truck is a "hot rodded" 1910 Model T Ford. Everything on the car is authentic for the era with the exception of an overdrive transmission from the 50's. The overdrive gives me better road speed for the longer trips. The truck is a tow vehicle just not used for towing an Airstream.
Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
After reading this thread I was compelled to go put the 2" dropped spindles on my '57 Safari wagon today. I'd been procrastinating, one of those I'll get around to doing it's, but thanks to you folks I got the ambition I needed to get it done.

Life is art and what we do it reflects our own version of it. Some like Picasso and pay mega dollars, some like Norman Rockwell and pay big dollars for it. I look at Robert Cross's car and see one that not only needs to stay the way it came to he and his wife but it would almost be a sin to alter it. It is not only a time warp, but there is a personal history behind it that is as much a part of the car as the car itself.

Then I look at my car, a milestone car, and quite rare, and I'm really happy the way it has turned out. I've owned it 30 years and have constantly been modifying it to meet the changes in demands that we put on it. It is an excellent long range TV, has all the options we have in our new cars excepting A/C which I chose to not install, and we and the 11 other car club members we typically tow with have a tremendous amount of fun.

We properly pro actively do maintenance on them so road incidents are as rare as they are with our new vehicle, maintenance costs are a fraction of what it costs for the new stuff, and we have FUN.

I've always figured to each his or her own. If we all liked the same thing it would be one heck of a boring world. We'd all have Monaco MoHo's and wear paisley jump suits (well, okay, you guys would, not me no matter how much you harassed me ).

I really enjoy a modified vehicle that is done with patience, quality effort, and reflects the owners pride of vehicle. For some folks that means putting ram stickers on the tail lights of their truck, running or step boards, cab lights and extra fog lamps. For others it means raising or lowering, different wheels and tires, swap out the interior, and the changes can be endless.

Thank heavens we live in a world where that is not only acceptable but encouraged as our right.

Now to go leave some carbon footprint on the road somewhere, oh, and here's a picture of what the results of today's efforts are.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0981.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	486.3 KB
ID:	78133  
Old 04-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ahhh.... that's awesome! Great rake!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Ahhh.... that's awesome! Great rake!
Marc
Thank you Marc.

Barry
Old 04-09-2009, 04:24 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Quote:
Thank heavens we live in a world where that is not only acceptable but encouraged as our right
First, we're not talking about personal freedom here; we're talking about aesthetics. I don't "get" most modern art. It's like the example of an attractive young girl with a pierced nose, eyebrow, whatever. I readily concede she has the right to do what she wants to with her face... I just don't get it. If your car makes you happy, great. What a wonderful world it would be if people had that same attitude about other things... and cared enough to keep our government from trampling all over our Constitutional rights. Not to get too political, Barry, but I have a tough time celebrating your automotive freedoms when our civil freedoms are under siege.