Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #481
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by rems View Post
hi there, i'm a new guy on this forum and i'm from france. I love airstreams for many years now and my dream is to bring back one from US. We currently have a 2007 shelby gt500, 1966 mustang convertible and a 1955 chevy pick up.

Do you think i can tow an airstream ( and which one) with my pick up. It's a V8 265 ci, has IFS and disk brakes, power sterring and soon air ride suspension. Has independant rear suspension and disk brakes too. 3 speed manual, no leaks or any problem. I dont have a hitch. The manual says that the truck can tow up to 5000 lbs but that was a long time ago...

What do you think ?
Hi Rems.. Welcome! I can't imagine anything more fun than boondocking in France. I have a picture of a DS21 with a full chassis tow hitch, and I'd love to tow my Globetrotter with something like that! I'm sure your pickup truck would be fine. Parts for the 265 might be a little hard to find, so you might want to have some spares, and I think for a vintage car, dual circuit brakes are really an important upgrade.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #482
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
Just found this thread and had to chime in. I have a 1969 Chevy C/10 longbed pickup for towing my 1966 TradeWind. The truck is a rear drive straight six (292) and even with the drum brakes tows the Airstream without breaking a sweat. That said, I have a high-end brake controller for the trailer brakes and downshift the manual transmission whenever engine braking can be used.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120407_223557.png
Views:	154
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	155238

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #483
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
My 1987 R20 Suburban(3/4T) with TBI 454, TH400HD.
Tow Package, Positraction rear end, and Load leveling airbags...
Dual A/C, and seating for 8.
I think it has a Class V Hitch.

Oh, the thing in front of it is my part built Rotisserie to do my Alfa Spider.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #484
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
We've flat-bedded a new family member home from Rochester, NY to Chicago today: a '53 Town & Country wagon, with what we believe is an authentic 75K on the odometer.

It has power steering, semi-automatic transmission, fantastic original upholstery and the factory smooth-running flathead 6 cylinder. Chrome isn't so good, but the original black paint is in pretty decent shape.

We flat bedded it home from Rochester, NY to Chicago today!

Now, we're hoping to make some significant upgrades behind the scenes, but nothing that would ruin the spirit of the car: new suspension, big brakes, a modern V8 with EFI, new transmission, aftermarket AC... and of course a custom hitch to handle our Hensley and 22 footer.

Perhaps later on we can do remote tire pressure sensors, remote rear view camera, hidden stereo and cruise control.

All suggestions are welcome, we want this to be a great tow vehicle!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tandc1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	540.0 KB
ID:	156774   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	629.6 KB
ID:	156775  

Name:	photo copy.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	601.4 KB
ID:	156776  
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #485
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Brad....a Viper V-10 will drop right in that engine bay!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #486
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
While the V-10 has double the torque* of the straight six (465 vs 218) the RPM needed to get that torque* is over 3000 rpms. My guess is the six will hit the top of the torque curve at 2000 PRMs with the correct tranny. If you want speed, stuff the V-10 in it. If you want to tow an Airstream (or anything else greater than 2000#s) look for something else. Or stick with the six banger. You won't go fast, however you will go.

*Torque is what gets you the grunt power to move weight. HP gets you speed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #487
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
As a PS, the origianl tranny in that thing isn't good for much other than maintence.

Action
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #488
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
Get yourself a Mopar EFI V8 crate motor and new transmission. Get a modern radiator built, switch the car over to 12 volt, new multi speed wipers, disc brakes, etc, etc, etc. Might want to look at the rear end, shocks, steering box. ( There is a reason the guys who build retro rods put a modern front clip under the car)
You'll have a classic TV for for about the price of a new Durango or Ram. Oh and then there is the seats, you'll love em after about a 100 miles.

I have a cherry '57 Chev Belair post coupe with a power pack 283 and I won't drive it further than 100 miles. It's beautiful, hot and uncomfortable, doesn't corner, doesn't stop and sucks gas like crazy.

Go with your heart, I guess.
SoCal Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #489
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
That's going to look soooo sick with the Airstream behind it. Post a photo of the two hitched and ready to go when you finish the upgrades...sweet!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #490
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Nellysford , Virginia
I don't suppose you can wedge a nice 5.9L Cummins Diesel in there? That would definitely give your power! Maybe a smaller Mercedes diesel would be more appropriate?

Any way you go, this should be a real head-turner. What a great match for an Airstream!

Best of luck!!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 AM   #491
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
My 1987 R20 Suburban(3/4T) with TBI 454, TH400HD.
Tow Package, Positraction rear end, and Load leveling airbags...
Dual A/C, and seating for 8.
I think it has a Class V Hitch.

Oh, the thing in front of it is my part built Rotisserie to do my Alfa Spider.
DEAR GOD! a 1987 is vintage? Crap, I'm getting old!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #492
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Bunnell , Florida
Bambi towed with Nash

This is the tow vehicle for my vintage '62 Bambi. A 1959 Rambler Super Wagon.

I need to upgrade the hitch, though. It is a lightweight Camero hitch and the toungue weight of the Bambi with full tanks has bent down the hitch a little. The motor in this car is a small gas-saving 2.8 liter V-6 from a 1985 Chevy Blazer. I get about 22 mpg when towing the Bambi.

I like the soft round curves of this 2-door Rambler Wagon and its small size, which blend well with the little Bambi.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tow vehicle.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	156785   Click image for larger version

Name:	tow vehicle 4.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	156786  

Bambified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #493
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Drive View Post
Get yourself a Mopar EFI V8 crate motor and new transmission. Get a modern radiator built, switch the car over to 12 volt, new multi speed wipers, disc brakes, etc, etc, etc...
Great suggestions, this is a new hobby for me, and while I know a little (EFI means electronic fuel injection! ) I have a ton to learn. The items you listed were the first ones that popped into my head, as well.

While I think I'll probably skip the Viper V10 since we don't want a hot rod... a balance of low end torque that will get us through mountain ranges... but decent MPG's would be ideal. I realize those are competing qualities, but there's gotta be a sweet spot along those axis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
That's going to look soooo sick with the Airstream behind it. Post a photo of the two hitched and ready to go when you finish the upgrades...sweet!
Thank you thank you! We're really psyched too… I can't believe I landed on a body style Melissa (my wife) was happy wtih… she's an interior designer and not easy to impress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1civilengr View Post
I don't suppose you can wedge a nice 5.9L Cummins Diesel in there? That would definitely give your power! Maybe a smaller Mercedes diesel would be more appropriate?
Thanks Civil, I've given very little thought to them thus far, but I know that everyone I've heard from who tows with modern diesel seems happy enough. A Mercedes blue line (technically still MOPAR, too??!!) could be an extremely cool solution; very sophisticated, quiet, efficient… and expensive.

-------
Anyhow, thanks all - I should probably stop posting here, since this is a group thread. I don't want to hijack it.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #494
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambified View Post
This is the tow vehicle for my vintage '62 Bambi. A 1959 Rambler Super Wagon.

I need to upgrade the hitch, though. It is a lightweight Camero hitch and the toungue weight of the Bambi with full tanks has bent down the hitch a little. The motor in this car is a small gas-saving 2.8 liter V-6 from a 1985 Chevy Blazer. I get about 22 mpg when towing the Bambi.

I like the soft round curves of this 2-door Rambler Wagon and its small size, which blend well with the little Bambi.
Oh my gosh, that's cool. Yeah, beef up that hitch and have a blast!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #495
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo View Post
Great suggestions, this is a new hobby for me, and while I know a little (EFI means electronic fuel injection! ) I have a ton to learn.
You know if you are gonna do an engine swap to something the vehicle wasn't designed for and you have never done this before. It will be OK after you open your bank account(s) and keep smiling!

Not only do you need to concern yourself with fitting the engine in there. (A new trans for sure and may be rear axle to handle the power from that engine) you will want to upgrade the braking system to handle all of the new power. And then upgrade the suspension to keep all of that running between the lines on the road. Other areas would be steering and electrical.

>>>>>>Action
Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #496
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
..open your bank account and keep smiling!
My "smile" may look similar to this: ...but that's the best I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
...you need to concern yourself with fitting the engine in there...
The New Yorker version of this car came with a HEMI. My hope is there's room to do almost whatever we want, but I don't know if newer trannys, etc. are larger than their forefathers. Thanks for the tips!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #497
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
"The New Yorker version of this car came with a HEMI. My hope is there's room to do almost whatever we want, but I don't know if newer trannys, etc. are larger than their forefathers. Thanks for the tips!"

Brad, the new Hemi engine is narrower and much lighter than the old style. Google Mopar crate engines. Plenty of specs, transmissions, etc.
SoCal Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #498
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Start there with a HEMI of that vintage. Get a newer transmission that fit that HEMI may be something in the 60's. At least you will have less engineering to do because the engineering was already done for that model with a bigger engine of the period.

Most modern stuff (after the 80's) will be smaller and lighter. And it still won't fit. Which will require cutting and modification for mounts, exhaust pipes, fuel lines and ?????? If you are going that direction (newer than this generation) Get an entire high mileage (100k miles) doner vehicle that was rear ended and the sheet metal is ugly. You will pay more for low miles and you can cut some of the cost by getting one that has high miles. Face it what ever you do, if you put 50,000 miles after the modification that would be huge so you don't have to spend money on low mileage. And much modern stuff has a expected life of 200,000 miles.

Getting an entire ride means you have all of the engine management pieces. Wiring, sensors, vacuum lines and related parts. Those items will stop your engine and can run a fortune in nickel dime costs. (That's why there are wrecking yards in business!) In addition you might consider taking the front braking, steering and suspension from that ride. At least you have an engineered system. Getting attached to your vintage piece will be a walk into the dark woods as no one has likely done it before. Finding a fabricator to know where to attach systems would be money well spend. No one wants to break down 500 miles from home with a trailer attached in July.

And if it were me, I would stick with the six and find a hefty stick shift to tow an under 20' Airstream. Or modify with period correct pieces. Depending on what you want to tow. And it's your $. As long as you are willing to part with the cash all is good. And know there is a market for anything and everything you take off no matter what the condition. Vintage Chrysler guys (I am not one - check out my signature line) would be very willing to buy any thing you take off no matter how heavy or in any condition.

Good luck!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #499
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
As a post script to the above thread, ths is why I bought the Park Lane in my signature line to go with my Overlander. The Park Lane was set up for towing and was decked out with creature comforts of the period. It has a big V-8, the drive line to take the abuse and is period correct. The only thing (towing wise)I will add is period correct disc brakes. 1966 was the first year for front disc and I bough a '67 Park Lane that had disc brakes and have removed the brake system and some other related pieces. Most of the rest has been sold to pay for the cost of the changes.

I didn't start this way and I have sold over 10 times the cost of this donor vehicle in other parts I did not need. E-bay is a wonderful thing!

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #500
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
Start there with a HEMI of that vintage. Get a newer transmission that fit that HEMI may be something in the 60's. At least you will have less engineering to do because the engineering was already done for that model with a bigger engine of the period.

Most modern stuff (after the 80's) will be smaller and lighter. And it still won't fit. Which will require cutting and modification for mounts, exhaust pipes, fuel lines and ?????? If you are going that direction (newer than this generation) Get an entire high mileage (100k miles) doner vehicle that was rear ended and the sheet metal is ugly. You will pay more for low miles and you can cut some of the cost by getting one that has high miles. Face it what ever you do, if you put 50,000 miles after the modification that would be huge so you don't have to spend money on low mileage. And much modern stuff has a expected life of 200,000 miles.

Getting an entire ride means you have all of the engine management pieces. Wiring, sensors, vacuum lines and related parts. Those items will stop your engine and can run a fortune in nickel dime costs. (That's why there are wrecking yards in business!) In addition you might consider taking the front braking, steering and suspension from that ride. At least you have an engineered system. Getting attached to your vintage piece will be a walk into the dark woods as no one has likely done it before. Finding a fabricator to know where to attach systems would be money well spend. No one wants to break down 500 miles from home with a trailer attached in July.

And if it were me, I would stick with the six and find a hefty stick shift to tow an under 20' Airstream. Or modify with period correct pieces. Depending on what you want to tow. And it's your $. As long as you are willing to part with the cash all is good. And know there is a market for anything and everything you take off no matter what the condition. Vintage Chrysler guys (I am not one - check out my signature line) would be very willing to buy any thing you take off no matter how heavy or in any condition.

Good luck!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Mopars rock! Id go with something with a carburetor and not Efi, simple to fix and less chance for electrical gremlins. It is really wonderful to have something simple to work on. The old hemi will be harder to source parts for- I have a 68 with a 318. Try to find a 340 or 360, something that there are lots of parts for.I think you wouldn't want to add too much to that frame, like a 383, even with a new clip. You're not making a track car or something for short cruises, it has to be reliable to be fun to use for towing. That original semi automatic is nasty! Four speeds and tip toe shift, or whatever Chrysler called it. Also, old disc setups are hard to get parts for, but there are all kinds of swap kits out there. I speak from my own experience with my Dodge. That said your T and C is amazing, and will make a super tow vehicle!