Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #521

1969 25' Tradewind
New York City , New York
Finally our maiden voyage

We finally finished all of the work on our car and completed our interior redesign. Thank you all for your priceless advice.

Toly and Cobey
1969 Airstream Tradewind + 1970 Ford XL Convertible
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirMaiden04.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	157555   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirMaiden26.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	157556  

Name:	AirMaiden09.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	594.5 KB
ID:	157557   Click image for larger version

Name:	AirMaiden24.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	498.4 KB
ID:	157558  

AirXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #522
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
1964 Buick Skylark Convertible 300cid V-8

Maybe someone here on this thread will be able to help me. For years I've dreamed of owning an Airstream. In fact, at some point, Airstream had a Buick (very similar to mine) used in a brochure. Seems like the Buick was in Yosemite National Park, towing an Airstream. If memory serves, the Buick was even a convertible like mine.
Does anyone have a copy of this that they'd like to share?
Yes, still have the Buick, but instead of a TT Airstream, I found my 'dream' Classic Airstream motorhome. Maybe I'll tow the Buick behind???
Thanks, Derek
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	buick 3.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	157581   Click image for larger version

Name:	buick 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	157582  

crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #523
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Vintage Tow Vehicles

Greetings Eric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Maybe someone here on this thread will be able to help me. For years I've dreamed of owning an Airstream. In fact, at some point, Airstream had a Buick (very similar to mine) used in a brochure. Seems like the Buick was in Yosemite National Park, towing an Airstream. If memory serves, the Buick was even a convertible like mine.
Does anyone have a copy of this that they'd like to share?
Yes, still have the Buick, but instead of a TT Airstream, I found my 'dream' Classic Airstream motorhome. Maybe I'll tow the Buick behind???
Thanks, Derek
I seem to remember the publicity photo that you mention. I am not certain, but I believe that it may have been on a postcard that introduced the Caravel in 1965 . . . since this likely would have been during the summer of 1964 it would explain the 1964 tow vehicle. I was looking at my 1964 Airstream materials and found a photo of a 1963 Pontiac Tempest towing a Bambi II and what I believe may be a 1963 Buick Special towing a Bambi II as well.

The following are links to some of these documents on the web:I couldn't identify a 1964 Skylark in any of these photos, but there were a few Buick tow vehicles among the various documents.

I will keep my eye out as we prepare the Overlander for this season's camping expeditions . . . I may just have that post card in one of my open house displays.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #524
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirXL View Post
We finally finished all of the work on our car and completed our interior redesign. Thank you all for your priceless advice.

Toly and Cobey
1969 Airstream Tradewind + 1970 Ford XL Convertible
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #525
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Yikes, a 1963 Tempest had the "rope drive" and rear transaxle, and a two speed automatic. The Buick would have had a two speed also. From what I've been reading on auto blogs, they're kind of fragile and hard to find parts for. Towing with a two speed tranny (Super Turbine 300) doesn't slow for a lot of engine braking, in my opinion. That said, somehow people used to tow with Ford Falcons, a more god-awful driving car I can't imagine.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #526
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Asheville , North Carolina
Just about done!

Well, finished with the re-polishing and new windows on the 31' 1975 Excella 500. Tomorrow I get the 66 Caddy back with the engine rebuilt, Trans cooler, rear leveling system, etc. Just need to put a few miles on the Caddy, get the hitch put on and I will be aready to hit the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Caddy.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	637.6 KB
ID:	158035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Myrtle Beach Camper.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	571.6 KB
ID:	158036  

RVGuyRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #527
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
A hitch guy once exclaimed to me, "YOU'RE NOT going to tow a trailer with that beautiful Buick, are you"? DUH! He didn't get to install the hitch receiver. Your RIG will be a real head turner.

Question for you, have you found a classic car insurance company willing to insure your car when you tow? Most will not...so far for me I haven't found one.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #528
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
F350

My new to me tow vehicle. A 1972 F350 that has been a mini fire engine. It has 16K miles on it. A 360 V8, 4 speed New Process trans. I got this off Public Surplus auction about a month ago. I have stripped all the fire gear off & spent 10 hours yesterday fabricating & installing a reciever hitch. I will post a picture when Helen takes them. I towed the water trailer this morning for my trial trailer pull. The water trailer is about 5K loaded. It did quite well. I picked up a set of original Ford trailer tow mirrors today off Craigs list. Next Sat I hope to get lights & brake controller wired in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	545743_3847237784121_1373483526_3571150_725963789_n.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	160043   Click image for larger version

Name:	545743_3847237864123_1373483526_3571151_392868462_n.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	160044  

Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #529
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
Nellysford , Virginia
Great vehicle! You may want to leave the water tank on for boondocking I personally think the siren & lights should stay too, but the local authorities may have other thoughts on the matter!

Good luck with this cool find!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #530
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
What a great vehicle!

I had a sobering experience last week, which made me re-think my vintage car, which I use regularly. I was driving our Honda sports car on a local 45mph two lane highway, when an elderly driver pulled right out in front of me- witnessed by a park ranger and others. I pushed so hard on the brake I sprained my foot, broadsided her and totalled my car. Thankfully for our airbags, shoulder belts and a stiff structure, I'm still here. If I were in my Dart convertible, I'd probably be dead. People here in town were commenting that seeing the accident made them drive more carefully... and my point to this is, be careful and expect the unexpected, particularly important driving a vintage car and towing. I typically watch for deer to run out, and have missed many (fog lights help to light the side of the roadway) and thought I was pretty vigilant.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #531
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Glad you are ok. I often wonder if the 'safety' features of todays cars are overstated. Yeah, that they crumble upon impact and 'cushion' the blow but ending up wrapped in tin foil looks a little risky too. Our '71 Buick convertible weighs (no plastic) more than our 24' AS Trade Wind so if any one drove out in front of us.....short of flipping us I'd be the one calling 911...for the other guy.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #532
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
New cars are much, much safer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Glad you are ok. I often wonder if the 'safety' features of todays cars are overstated. Yeah, that they crumble upon impact and 'cushion' the blow but ending up wrapped in tin foil looks a little risky too. Our '71 Buick convertible weighs (no plastic) more than our 24' AS Trade Wind so if any one drove out in front of us.....short of flipping us I'd be the one calling 911...for the other guy.
Neil
Crash test Chevrolet 1959 vs Chevrolet 2009 - YouTube

Has little or nothing to do with the weight, crumple zones work by transfering energy, note where the engine and transmission of the 'Big" all metal Chevy in this video end up...the laps of the passengers. Weak brakes, lousy handling, thoughtless design. Todays cars and truck are so much better than the old ones we all love, take that as truth from a guy who owns an old classic '57 Chevy Belair post coupe with a power pack, and great pipes. I would tow a 25 footer without sweating but it might never stop.
SoCal Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #533
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
As bad as I hate it... Google "59 Chevy verses 2009 impala" and watch the you tube video. The older 'mass' verses the newer designed crush zones is absolutely incredible.

It burns my buns that a 59 had to get crushed to make that video!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #534
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I work on & around new cars a lot. From what I've seen the new cars are way ahead of the old kool cars in terms of safety. That being said I will continue to drive the ole dogs..... I just like em. Kinda like riding a motorsickle, they ain't safe but it sure is fun!
What I don't understand are the safety minded people who think nothing of welding/ bolting large hunks of iron to the rear of their cars to prove that they will tow as good as a pickup. They effectivly destroy the crush/crumple zone as they happily flit about. If one of those modified vehicles ever gets rearended they are in for a grusome surprise.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #535
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
As for the video I'll believe it is real when Mythbusters replicate it. I worked for an outfit that made training video's, quite easy to make the camera lie!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #536
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
I work on & around new cars a lot. From what I've seen the new cars are way ahead of the old kool cars in terms of safety. That being said I will continue to drive the ole dogs..... I just like em. Kinda like riding a motorsickle, they ain't safe but it sure is fun!
What I don't understand are the safety minded people who think nothing of welding/ bolting large hunks of iron to the rear of their cars to prove that they will tow as good as a pickup. They effectivly destroy the crush/crumple zone as they happily flit about. If one of those modified vehicles ever gets rearended they are in for a grusome surprise.
Couldn't agree with you more about the fun. Power ,safety, efficiency, not so much. I learned to drive at 9 in a '50 Ford F-1 pickup. One of my neighbors has a nice restored '51, in it you're lucky to hit 45 mph by the end of a Freeway ramp and the old flathead is wound to the gills. It will pull a trailer alright but I don't want to be driving it.

I spent a bag of money restoring a '69 Z-28, fun car. We took it on a trip from Boston to Florida by the time we hit New Jersey on I-95 I was ready to leave it along side the road. It was uncomfortable, no ventilation, noisy and it used a lot of gas. I also thought it was kind of 'fun" to ride a 650 BSA from Boston to San Francisco and back in the summer of 67, too. I forgot how bad I felt everyday when I climbed off the Road Rocket and unrolled my sleeping bag.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #537
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
As for the video I'll believe it is real when Mythbusters replicate it. I worked for an outfit that made training video's, quite easy to make the camera lie!
Check it out: Thoughts on the Impala Crash - 1959 vs. 2009 V8TV - YouTube
Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #538
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
No matter the advantages/disadvantages of 'crumple' zones on the new vehicles driving old iron is great fun. For many years, and I have 70+ of them, I am surprised that I haven't heard of concerns of towing with a converitible. I am comfortable driving my mass of iron and more than adequate power. I've made it this far with great fun....and not ready to park 'it' yet.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 06-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #539
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The later "iron" ie your Centurion had more safety stuff, collapsable steering column, the engine was designed to go under the passenger compartment in a crash, stuff like that, that the '59 didn't have. When I look at my Dart, I'm kind of amazed that those big fenders have nothing behind them- there are inner fenders in front and the parts of the unibody the suspension bolts to, but that's it. The trunk has less metal, just the exterior fenders, and the gas tank is the trunk floor, and no steel between the trunk and passengers. I love old cars too, love driving them, love the way they smell, but sitting here with a broken rib and bruises makes me more cautious. At the same time, driving the Dart makes me more careful, because it doesn't stop or steer the same as my Honda. The new cars lull you into inattention, while the older ones required more input and more thinking ahead. I am glad I had shoulder belts and an airbag hit my face instead of the pot metal convertible roof fasteners.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #540
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Oddly, my accident last week was on the anniversary of being rear ended on Highway 17 in Santa Cruz 33 years earlier. My '68 VW Squareback was totalled, we (two 17 year olds) walked away. That car had a lot of steel in the rear- I cut it apart with a air chisel, I know, and I used the engine in another car afterward. Glad the impact wasn't to the front, and the gas tank.