Old 11-04-2006, 11:24 PM   #281
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Cool stuff Barry ,thanks for the reply on the engine .Yeah ,the 70 GTO
here is SB CA is a local car ,has dark green paint ,column shift turbo 400 ,
bench seat ,and black vinyl top ,I know I know ,but it is an original Hughes pontiac (dealer back then )documented GTO .The engine is the base 400
4 barrel .Has the GTO hood ,non ram air of course .The 416 in the Lemans
is a stroker 350 with the 7H 72 heads ,for compression reason also .It has
good mileage for real and such a sweet ride ,runs so nice ,smooth idle ,went with a low too mid range cam ,But not that big, its really a streetable cam
and allows good running ,what a kick this car is .I think that fantastic
pontiac engine sound that a small or bigblock chevy can only dream of, just
might be what is keeping you all pontiac ,and you know what Im talking about, puts a smile on your face doesn't it ? I for one like the pontiac engine
in the pontiac car ,just seems right .

Scott

Old 11-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #282
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thnxs to Tomw this image appeared in his gallery. The pic is of a Studebaker Avanti with the bullet in tow. The Avanti's have a 109" wheelbase and an optional Paxton supercharger. Go ta luv it!

Here is a link to view the specs on the Avanti..

http://www.theavanti.com/TechSpecs.html

Old 11-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #283
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Talking The Avanti was one cool car

What a great picture!!! I dated a guy in high school, the son of a wealthy doctor, who had a gold Avanti. He had girls falling all over him because of that car, all of us interested in the car, not the guy. What was most amazing was how advanced the interior was...it was like the cockpit of a space ship. Studebaker was way ahead of its time with that car. The Studebaker Larks in the 60s were also very cool, even the stationwagon that had a roof panel over the rear deck that retracted so you could carry....say a tree... if you needed to

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #284
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
Thnxs to Tomw this image appeared in his gallery. The pic is of a Studebaker Avanti with the bullet in tow. The Avanti's have a 109" wheelbase and an optional Paxton supercharger. Go ta luv it!

Here is a link to view the specs on the Avanti..

http://www.theavanti.com/TechSpecs.html
What a great picture. I know those of us who tow with a vintage vehicle can tell you the reaction from most people, regardless of age, is surprise, total appreciation, and overall many folks comment that if they could they would do the same. B-H-L, there's one of the retractable wagons needing rebuild for sale in a Vancouver suburb that's been up for sale for over a year. At some point in my life yet I hope to acquire a Studebaker Hawk for the stable.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #285
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Anyone out there with a '35 Chrysler Airstream? Now that would be one awesome tow vehicle. With a name like that you couldn't go wrong, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35_Chrysler_Airstream.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	29087  
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #286
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Cool stuff Barry ,thanks for the reply on the engine .Yeah ,the 70 GTO
here is SB CA is a local car ,has dark green paint ,column shift turbo 400 ,
bench seat ,and black vinyl top ,I know I know ,but it is an original Hughes pontiac (dealer back then )documented GTO .The engine is the base 400
4 barrel .Has the GTO hood ,non ram air of course .The 416 in the Lemans
is a stroker 350 with the 7H 72 heads ,for compression reason also .It has
good mileage for real and such a sweet ride ,runs so nice ,smooth idle ,went with a low too mid range cam ,But not that big, its really a streetable cam
and allows good running ,what a kick this car is .I think that fantastic
pontiac engine sound that a small or bigblock chevy can only dream of, just
might be what is keeping you all pontiac ,and you know what Im talking about, puts a smile on your face doesn't it ? I for one like the pontiac engine
in the pontiac car ,just seems right .

Scott
GRRRRrrrrrr!

Ok you guys are talking my language now.

I have a 70 LeMans Sport Convertible that will be used for closer trips. I'm the second owner on the car...technically it stayed in the family...My moms ex (my ex stepfather) special ordered the car new. Being and Anal retentive account for IBM he ordered it funny.

Being and anal accountant I have everything for the car including original window sticker dealer copy, The order specs and work sheets, the dealer receive and check off sheet, manual in original envelope, protecto plate, the processed check where he paid for it, factory repair manual and about 1.5 inch thick pile of note book paper were every repair was noted, what was done, when and how much it cost. Granada gold paint and Black comfort weave interior

He wanted the V8 but too cheap to step up to the bigger motors so it has the bottom model 350 2bb.

Was too cheap to pay for the Auto so it has the base model Munci 3 speed. Hated the column shift just enough to spring for the floor shift. That more or less forced him into the Sport package with buckets and center console. He could have got the buckets on option but it wasn't much more for the package so he was able to justify the price. That package included Buckets, console, sport trim, deluxe wheel covers, remote driver side mirror and deluxe steering wheel.

Has the courtesy light package that got under hood, trunk and rear armrest lights.

AM Radio with optional rear speaker.

No AC

Lived in NY at the time so he ordered it with Safety Track (posi) and I have to look but IO think it has a 3.40 rear end. It came to GA when it was 2 and was always garaged. Floors are solid with NO rust, little rust in the rear lower fender lips and a quarter sized blister top of the fender where water leaks in around the top...pretty normal to see that on any of the soft tops form that time.

PMD records sort of indicated it was rare option combination but wanted my money for how rare...just have never got around ot it.

At 210k it lost oil pressure 8 years ago. Motor is not seized and can still be spun by hand but I haven't run it since I pulled in the garage that day.

Throwing the numbers matching motor under the work bench. I picked up what I thought was a a 68 GTO 400 from a kid that had it in a 68 Tempest. Put it in a ditch backwards at about 70. Car totaled but ran the motor before pulled and did a compression check on it. 160-162 across the board. Yeah honest it was that close.

According to him the motor had been rebuild in the last 8k by the guy he bought it off. As even as the compression is I didn't question it. Just ran too good. Suppose to be .040 over, flat tops and a "400 H.O." cam. Not exactly sure what that is but it has reasonable vacuum of 17hg at idle as it was set up. It was a running rich so I think once it is set up right it will probably pull 19-20 hg. Has a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake with a Demon 750 on it. Very mild lope. Told it has flat tops. 6X heads on it as well.

After researching it better it turns out to be a 78 out of a Formula 400 Fire bird. So the heads are original to the motor is what I think. Date codes are the same. From the compression check I am guessing about 8.5:1 compression with the flat tops and the big CC 6x's so it should run good on regular unleaded. In the future I may put a set of Aluminum heads on it and that should bump the compression to around 9.5:1 so it will still run on pump...might get away with regular but probably need midgrade.

Had hoped to have it in by now but just haven't had time and every time I start working on it I run into another problem. Stuff like the motor never had the holes drilled for the motor mounts I need to use. Then I was almost ready to put the Milidon pan on after painting it back the correct 70 blue and I read something that says the 70 crank had a different diameter on the tail and sure enough the 70 Flywheel I just had surfaced will not work on this engine. Picked up a 4 speed Saginaw with a comp plus shifter for $150 but cant seem to find the right shifter to come up through the existing hole in good shape for under $350.

EVENTUALLY I will get it together. LOL
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #287
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Hey '59T, that's a neat history of your Lemans. My buddy recently toyed with buying a 70 Lemans convert and selling off his '52 BelAir he's hotrodded but when it came down to thinking about selling the Chevy he just couldn't do it, and he does not have the room for both. Interestingly enough he's a retired IBM'er.

In addition to my '57 Pontiac wagon I also have a '70 Chevelle SS 396/375HP 4 gear car. A couple of miles over 46,000 and it's completely stock end to end. I'm almost done a complete frame off restoration but due to a few health issues this year have not been able to complete it. It's cranberry red with white stripes and black interior. I might get it done in the spring but I'm not in any hurry. I've got two to three weeks worth of work to complete it and the intent is to then use it for a year or so to haul the Airstream while I freshen the '57 Pontiac. The Chevelle is really for my wife as we had one from '70 to '79 and foolishly sold it so when this one came up with such low mileage and in excellent condition to start with we had to buy it - we were looking for a '69 or '70 Mach 1 but when my wife saw the Chevelle that was it. She actually bought it and surprised me with it, for my birthday, but I know it's really what she wants to drive. She finds the Pontiac just a bit on the large size.

What is really neat with your Lemans is that you know the entire history of the car and it's been around you for all those years. You are right about the rarity with the options the way the car was ordered. The real value though is that you have it, you are doing it up to use it, and you are going to do with the car what it was originally designed for - being driven, enjoyed, and appreciated. We saw a '69 GTO pulling a Bambi this summer going down the highway the other way and I just about hurt myself trying to get a better look. Good thing I wasn't driving or we'd of been in hot pursuit. Pictures of yours would be great to see .

Barry
Old 11-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #288
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Don't have any current pictures of it other then with a ton of junk piled on it.

My wife wants a 71 Chevelle bad. I actually have a line on a triple mint green survivor with about 87k on it. Not real hip on the color but they are getting pricey. I know the history on the car. Been in my supervisors family since new. Currently owned by his brother in law but bought new by his mom. Always in GA. Garaged most of its life. Some rust got up under the top and around the back widow but otherwise very clean. Maybe one day I can buy it.

A friend's dad has a 69 4 speed Bench car that he special ordered new at Anderson Chevrolet in Marietta GA. I think its a 396 as well but not a SS. Been about 12 years since I really looked at the car.

He has a 67 Impala that his dad also Special ordered new at Anderson. Three on the tree car. It has a 327 Towawanda in it but the numbers 327 is stored. The Impala is mild custom and very clean. Been in World of wheels a few times. He tows his Hot rod truck with it.

The screwy thing is I have tracked down three of the Chevelle 4 speed shifters in really good shape. They however mount on the crossmember. My Pontiac mounts like a comp Plus on the side of the tail housing but the handle is round so the Comp won't work with the boot. Hurst stop making them in 79.

Attached is a depressing picture of the old gal with the Gaucho for out 59. Could pictures of a couple books in my shop manual collection...no they are not for sale.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mess7.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	29106   Click image for larger version

Name:	49-50poncho.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	29107  

Name:	56poncho1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	29108   Click image for larger version

Name:	56poncho2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	29109  

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #289
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello 59 toaster ,

That Lemans is great ,these days it is very valuable as well as the GTO .
Its cool to do something abit different .The pontiac V-8 engine mounts are
different between the years .The blocks with multiple mounting holes for
64 up back fit up to 72 maybe 73 ,then you have the blocks like your 400
that do not ,I think butler performance may have a kit for them .The exact reason the Lemans stroker used the 72 350 (correct bolt holes to fit the 65)
and the compression we wanted to achieve .timing covers and brackets
and pullys (all ) are year specific and may be used if you have ALL of them
from the same engine .Not like a chevrolet V-8 thats for sure ,boy do those
pontiacs run though !!Franks Pontiac Parts also has a large inventory of
used items ,sheet metal to pully sets to tri power intakes and heads on and
on ,they are a good source to use ,google online to their website ,lots of
photos of what they have .Those GTO endura noses go for a grand these
days ,maybe more .don't know if hes got one though .Need to unclutter that
Lemans there and get it up and running soon!!

Scott
Old 11-27-2006, 10:09 PM   #290
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
I love the shop manuals. I've got the '57 ones as well as for the Chevelle and several others I've managed to hold on to when I sold the cars. Scott is right, that's a beauty Lemans and it looks like it's just itching to hit the road.

Here's a picture of a car that's the identical twin to my Chevelle. Mine still needs the windshield and back glass installed, and the interior, gas tank and exhaust, shifter and bleed the brakes and it's ready to go. Oh yeah, and install the all important trailer hitch and brake controller....

Do you have the part number for the shifter you are in need of or anything specific? I know several folks who are into high perf Pontiacs who may have what you need. As with Airstreams I find the Pontiac people are always willing to help out when they can so we may have some luck.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1970_Chevelle_SS%20red%20white%20twin.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	29112  
Old 12-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #291
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
68 Dodge Polara 318

Stumbled across this site today. The guy uses a 68 Polara for towing and gives some towing details of his combo. Interesting link for tow car enthusiasts..

http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/polara.html
Old 12-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #292
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Road Ruler

Thanks for sharing that. An interesting piece and neat that he included so much detail. I worked with a fellow with a '68 Polara with the 383 I think that he used to pull a 22' SOB all over Canada for several years. I still remember how excited he was when he moved up to a 1971 Dodge wagon

Merry Christmas
Barry
Old 12-23-2006, 11:15 PM   #293
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up gotta love vintage

It's nice to see all the vintage vehicle used to tow with. I have a 1951 Ford F1 truck that I've had for years now, but because of more extended trips I have decided to upgrade the drive train. It's in the shop now and I'm hoping to have it completed for a trip toward the end of April 07. I purchased a Ford Powerstroke Turbo diesel engine w/ a overdrive auto trans. That should easily give me plenty of towing power. Shouldn't be too much work, I already upgraded drive train a few years back and it's sitting on a 4 wheel dics brake system. I just need to change motor mounts, change some things over for diesel fuel and hopefully ready to roll by spring. I've done quite a few street rods over the years, but this will be the first diesel. I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year.

whistler
Old 12-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #294
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Okay, the state of Floriduh says since it is 21 years old, it is a "classic", or "antique" vehicle. License plate is only $20/year for it now, who am I to argue?
1986 (cough, cough!) F250.
It looks like the newest old tow vehicle in the thread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 036.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	30052