Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2007, 06:38 AM   #361
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
What's in a name?

Actually both the 390 and the 410 were called Marauder engines and the 428 was a super Marauder for 1966. Mercury was used to using that name and no longer was using it to identify the vehicles they were making. Mercury used the name Marauder in 1963, 1964, and 1965 to indicate full size fast backs bodys. Brought the name back in 1969 and 1970 as it's own model designation. And recently used the name for two years again. 2003 and 2004.

The 410 is a unique engine. It was an EZ cross between the 390 and the 428. However only found in the full sized Mercury and only for 2 years. 1966 and 1967.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #362
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
My friend is about to install a '69 (I think) 390 in his '54 Ford Wagon. He currently has a 351W in it but it just does not have the torque to pull a larger trailer through the mountains we typically frequent here in BC. He currently tows a 17' Boler (fiberglass) but is actively searching for a 50's Flying Cloud/Safari with twins. Pic of his rig attached. My sister had a '66 maurder in her Mercury hardtop and I remember it had a stunning dark blue bucket seat interior to complement the silver exterior and dark blue vinyl roof. It had the 410 and was very powerful. She sold it to buy a Starsky and Hutch car when they first came out and sadly her Merc was totalled shortly after. I loved that car for it's power and looks. Have never seen another that has all the options and looks hers did.
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	115_1576.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	34367  
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #363
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
HP and torque.

(Pre engine electronics)
An engine will get speed or HP from the bore size of a piston. The torque or power will come from the stroke of a piston.

Given the same displacement engine, the one with the short stroke and wide psiton will go faster. The one with the long stroke and narrow piston will pull more.

With that said the 390 has a stroke that is a 1/4" longer. It is also a 100#'s heavier than the 351.

As for the '66 Merc with everything. I have one, a Park Lane. The only missing options are the vinyl roof, 428-4V, power front vent windows, 8-track, trac-lok rear axle, tilt steering wheel.

Major optional equippment that my ride has:
A/C - heater
Power steering, front disc brakes, windows, locks, reverse rear window, rear deck lid release, 6 way front bench seat
Speed control
AM/FM radio with power antenna
Warning lights - door ajar, seat belt, low fuel

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #364
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
As for the '66 Merc with everything. I have one, a Park Lane. The only missing options are the vinyl roof, 428-4V, power front vent windows, 8-track, trac-lok rear axle, tilt steering wheel.

Major optional equippment that my ride has:
A/C - heater
Power steering, front disc brakes, windows, locks, reverse rear window, rear deck lid release, 6 way front bench seat
Speed control
AM/FM radio with power antenna
Warning lights - door ajar, seat belt, low fuel

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Does your car have the power rear window, or is it solid glass?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #365
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
It has the power rear window. The rear window (technically called the rear backlite) is in 3 pieces. The center section retracts behind the rear seat. The glass on either side of the center section is fixed and not very big.

And it works very well. This body stype was called a Breezeway and was introduced in 1963 and carried to 1966. In 1967 the Breezeway design was similar to previous years, however the window only went down about 2 to 4 inches versus completely retracting down behind the seat.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-22-2007, 08:59 PM   #366
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
More irrelevant and useless tidbits of Ford trivia...

A couple more comments here from the Motor City.... (hehe...)

(I just eat this Ford Corporate History up.....) :^)

Regarding the Marauder name, actually it was used beginning 1958 on the upper lineup of Mercury Engines, namely the all new 430 CI engine... There was even a special 3x2 bbl (Tri-Power) carburetor setup available as a special order on the Montereys and Montclairs and Park Lanes, called the "Super Marauder 430"... This engine was legendary, and potent as all "h-e-double hockey sticks".... Rated at 400 HP. Dean Moon (of "Mooneyes" fame) was given the job of casting the intakes and special aluminum air cleaners, and they even made 250 special jobs destined for the all new Unit-bodied 1958 Lincoln Continental Mark III. Unfortunately the plug was pulled on factory installation for the Lincoln at the 11th hour, and Bill Stroppe who headed Lincoln-Mercury's factory race program was quite perturbed by this decision handed down by Ford brass, and the 250 intake kits went to the dealers strictly as dealer add-on options to the Lincoln. Today, a complete Tri Power setup for a 1958 430 "LINCOLN" can go for $15000 on up. The Merc setup is a bit more common, (not much) but are still valued at $5000 on up.

Regarding that absolute BRAINSTORM Breezeway back window on the Mercs...(Also they were a Continental option in 58-60) I had two of them, in Mercs....one in a '65 Montclair, and the last one was in a '64 Park Lane. I always thought it was the greatest invention in Automotive design since the electric starter. Great in the winter for keeping the windows fog free, great for smokers, as the smoke sails right out the back, and awesome for cross flow ventilation in any climate. Actually, the Breezeway Window was the brainstorm of a guy at Ford named Francis J. (Jack) Reith.
Jack will go down in history as being the original father of the 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, and he was one of Henry Ford II's original 12 "Whiz Kids" brought into the company after WWII to save the company from the senile old HF Sr, and his "less than honorable" sidekick Harry Bennett.

Anyways, Jack Reith was the brainchild behind the Breezeway Window, and it appeared on both the 1957 and the 1958 model year Mercurys. It disappeared after 58, and as Action mentioned, and reappeared as an option for 1963, and continued as a popular option thru 1966.

A sad epilogue to the Jack Reith story though, after the dismal failure of the Turnpike Cruiser sales wise, Jack was "transferred" to Ford of Europe as head of Design, which he considered a real slap on the wrist, and he became so depressed over this that by 1959 or 60, he committed suicide at his home in France.

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #367
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Scott,

If you haven't read it this book, it outlines the above. The Whiz Kids, by John A. Byrne. It's a good read if you are into history of Ford corporate after the war. (And I am)

The last version of the 430, a MEL engine, (MEL = Mercury, Edsel, Lincon) is the 462. And that is what's in my '66 Lincoln 4 door convertible. And if you haven't guessed it I have this '66 thing going on.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #368
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea , Florida
Thumbs up Pick your car and be happy! - With a few words of caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue
The last few nights I've been surfing through so many sites. I think I've fallen in love about 25 times in the last 48 hours. Convertibles, wagons, burbs, sedans, I pause over each new love and remember people, places, things I haven't thought of in years. One of my (many) problems is that I don't know which sites I can trust. I feel like I need to find a place close to home so I can go out and inspect it, touch it, drive it. One place I drive by everyday, however, is Sales body but I'm guessing they're way out of my league.
File this under unsolicited advice from someone who just did the same thing:

1. Pick your vehicle first. The rest falls into place. For me it was all about Imperials. This is my third mid 60's Chrysler full size convertible. I couldn't imagine another way to fly. (Well, ok more like float.)

2. Do the research and join the club! There's a club for every enthusiast and any of the tow vehicles you are considering are no exception. In my experience, the Imperial Club has been a wonderful resource of opinion and expertise. You don't have to know how to take apart the carburetor... but you should know when your local mechanic is taking advantage of you. The Imperial Club has been invaluable here.

3. Buy the car from/through a club member. Club members take pride in their vehicles and are more likely to have better examples of the car you really did fall in love with. (I bought both of my imperials from/through club members and i wish i would have done so with my 1965 Chrysler 300L convertible.) If you find that eBay gem, you might find a member near the subject car. Any enthusiast will be thrilled to help you out in the pursuit of your next toy.

4. Go see it where it is or have it appraised. There's no substitue for touch or feel, regardless of the seller. I used an appraiser for both Imperials and i wish i would have thought about that with the 300L. (BOY. Did i learn the hard way on that car.)

5. Ship the car to your house or tow it home. I had quite the adventure bringing the 300L from Western NC to Miami without a safety net. the shipping costs were much lower than the aggrivation of driving cross country in a 40 year old car that i didn't know.

4. Have fun! A vintage car is meant to be driven, so drive and drive often! Just get good insurance. Collector car insurance is CHEAP compared to every day drivers. There are a few restrictions (locked garage storage at night), but nothing that will keep you from enjoying the ride.

If you want indepth information on how i bought and configured my 1968 Imperial Convertible for the cross country mid-life crisis tour of america, let me know. I have all my research.

You too could look like this:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/4...41f7cf32d2.jpg

Good luck!

(Truly Work from Anywhere)
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #369
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Javier

Good picture, you should put that in the photo of the month thread as an entry.

Also good suggestions.

Here's some info as well that may be helpful. What I've done when buying a car a long distance away is arranged with the local dealer (e.g. 70 Chevelle = GM new car dealer) to send a mechanic to inspect it, only because the car was mid way through a restoration and was not capable of being driven to their garage. Others I've had the seller take it to the dealer and at my expense had the car safetied and inspected as if the owner of the dealership were buying it. I've had great success with this and it's typically cost me $200 or less, all agreed to up front. I've asked for their opinion on whether the car is capable of being driven the distance to my home, what issues they see with it, and asked for a common sense look at the car. As for value, I determine that because it's really between what I and the seller have already agreed unless the car turns out through this inspection to be less than stated by the seller. I have even had the mechanic in one situation mention that he was aware of a similar car in their town in far nicer condition and more options I could get for probably the same money and he put me in touch with those folks. He was right, it was a real good car and I was very happy.

I've driven cars home and I've had to tow some but it just depends on the distance, the costs to go and get it, and how much time I have. In the recent past we've found that a running car can be shipped right across the country often for in the $1,000.00 range. For the right car it suddenly eliminates the distance factor for getting it home.

Just my experiences here, not saying this is the way everyone should do it, but it has worked very well for me. And yes, I have bought a lot of cars over the years and have only had a couple of situations where what I got was less than what I'd thought I bought.

It's a fun thing to do, and as Javier says, do your homework. It has been said before but the rule of thumb is to buy the best one you can find and don't settle for less. The various websites will give you a ton of info on what to look for, why not to buy certain models, and provide a ton of support for anything that comes up.

One caution, eBay has some good and some bad deals, but so far the majority of the people I'm aware of who have purchased a car off eBay who have not had it inspected first or are buying from someone with low ratings (less than 98% on large volume) have had at least some level of disappointment.

Barry
Old 03-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #370
Certifiable

. , .
To all - your words of advice are all well taken. I have printed this thread and will keep it as a handy reference as I continue on my quest to find the perfect mate for my painted Argosy and my family's needs.

Now time for another one of my famously dumb questions: Is your vintage tow vehicle your main TV or is it more of a "parade" TV that only gets used on the "lighter duty" trips?

Do I get rid of the Tahoe and keep the BMW convertible or get rid of the BMW and keep theTahoe?
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #371
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Do I get rid of the Tahoe and keep the BMW convertible or get rid of the BMW and keep theTahoe?
Here is a cool video clip of a 3 series Bimmer convert towing a TT. Note no WDH!

http://www.winterhoff.de/Filme/Kabel1_384.wmv
Old 03-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #372
Certifiable

. , .
Same car. Same color. Bigger mirrors.
I don't think I have the stones for it though.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #373
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
To all - your words of advice are all well taken. I have printed this thread and will keep it as a handy reference as I continue on my quest to find the perfect mate for my painted Argosy and my family's needs.

Now time for another one of my famously dumb questions: Is your vintage tow vehicle your main TV or is it more of a "parade" TV that only gets used on the "lighter duty" trips?

My '57 is my primary tow vehicle and has been for 25 years. As the trailers got bigger we added disc brakes, and immediately after I got the car running I put a trans cooler on it. We put a lot of miles on it every year, often 5 to 7 thousand. We do have a truck but we seldom use it for towing because the '57 is so much fun. I'm not afraid to take the '57 anywhere and the only thing I don't like to drive it in is snow.

As to your question of what to sell and what to keep, now that's a difficult question only you can decide. My wife has her BMW and I have the truck for our ugly weather stuff but when we are towing or for evening and weekend travel that's not "formal" we use the '57. I'll soon add the 70 SS Chevelle to the mix although I am not intending to use it as a tow vehicle at this point anyways. It will though take over a lot of the untethered pleasure driving just because it's fresh and we are excited to have another one. When retirement hits we'll downsize to the '57 and the BMW (or that's the current thought) and the '57 will be my daily driver. As for the Chevelle the way they are appreciating I won't be able to insure it for regular driving. It's crazy......
Barry
Old 03-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #374
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Vintage Tow Vehicles

Quote:

The answer to your question likely has several variables. In my case, the '75 Cadillac Eldorado and '65 Dodge Coronet 500 Convertibles are both insured under collector vehicle policies that place an annual mileage limit of 3,000 miles on each vehicle along with certain restrictions for their use -- I had to switch collector vehicle insurance companies once becasue the carrier refused to cover a vehicle used to tow any kind of trailer. My current insurer requires advance notification of extended trips with the trailer in tow so that a rider can be secured. Local trips and those that won't push the odometer beyond the magic 3,000 haven't had to be reported as long as they involve attending a rally or some other club-related activity.

A second reason that my collector cars aren't primary tow vehciles for my trailers is that when a part breaks on one of these cars, finding a replacement can be quite time consuming (it has taken more than two years to locate a set of OEM wheels that are straight-and-true for the Eldorado). It took more than five weeks to secure replacement rear wheel brake cylinders on the '65 Dodge as they were unique to the series and model that year (a special heavy-duty option).

I love towing with my collector vehicles, but if I am pressed for time, I am more comfortable with my '99 GMC K2500 Suburban. The Suburban has had several minor problems while traveling, but every one of them has been successfully and quickly repaired by the nearest GMC or Chevrolet dealer. Friends have expressed reservations about my continuing to rely upon the Suburban as it has passed the 180,000 mile mark -- high-miles cars have never worried me when I know the vehicle's background -- and I have owned the Suburban since it was new (my first drive was before it was pre-delivered as my salesman knew how anxious I was to take delivery after waiting for the truck to be built to my order).

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #375
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by commander31
Well, as one last addendum to what my fellow 1977 Lincoln TownHouse owner Bill K. said.....

After winning the Industrial Design Excellence award for the 1961 Continental, Engel was lured away from Ford to Chrysler in late 61 where he promptly took the top job in Design there, and immediately began designing the all new Imperial Crown for '64.... Rumor has it with the insiders at Ford back in the day that this car was a duplicate to Elwood's original proposal for the 1964 Continental, but somehow, he snuck his entire portfolio out the gates with him on his last day at Ford. Hmmm......
My imperial the 67-68 was the last Engel designes for Chrysler...
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
Old 03-23-2007, 10:29 PM   #376
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
which to keep? Which to haul?

Keep them all if you can afford it.

My daily car is a 2003 VW GTI VR6. I was lucky to be able to pay it off early and my office is only 1.5 miles from home, so with only 20K on the odo, the GTI will be my car at home.

For now, the Imperial is the only tow vehicle and it has long beed my dream to travel the country in a vintage convertible. In fact, i bought the airstream so that when (not if) i have problems on the road, i'll at least have a place to live while i can sort out the car. I'm ok for time, since my trip should span 6-24 months.

My next vehicle will be something new and capable of towing... Probably a VW Touareg V10 TDI.

Cheers,
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #377
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Will a MINI tow my Classic 25' Airstream?
Attached Images

craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #378
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Craftsman... That looks like a 1.275L Cooper S. My buddy had one back in the early 70's. He made a lot of money racing against small block Mustangs and Cameros. Niether had a chance against him in the 1/4 mile or on a road course. Its a little light duty for an Airstream though.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #379
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Vintage tow vehicle insurance & trailer insurance

I saw a post a while back where someone said they changed companies for their vintage automotive insurance and the new company allowed them to get a rider in order to tow their camper. Does anyone know what company that would be. I currently have Haggerty and they will not allow towing with the vintage vehicles. I have three vehicles that i plan to eventually tow with. I just haven't gotten around to fabricating a hitch and wiring in a brake controller. Two out of three of them already have transmission cooler and airbags that I previously installed and are ready to tow. In addition, somewhere I saw a post where someone was asking about vintage trailer insurance. I didn't see where that was answered...does anyone know of a company? A brief search didn't turn up the answers...thanks.

Thanks, Geven
Flickr: Photos from streaminguy
(chrome reverse wheels/baby moons & tires on trailer for sale)
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #380
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Watched the speed channel today. They had a Muscle car shout out. Being a fan and being part of that era I had to watch the show. All 1969 super cars where in top condition with brand new tires. The cars tested were.....

440 Road Runner
Yenko Nova 427ci
390 Rmbler Scrambler
Shelby 428 Mustang
RS 427 Camaro
427 GTO

They ran a number of tests. 0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom, and 60 to 0 braking. The GTO came out on top by the way.

The braking performance was interesting. They ranged from 170' to 200' in this test and most cars would not stay straight during the stopping test.

Cars today are so much better. Some sedans stopping from 60 - 0 in under 120'. Trucks too are better than years ago.

I just brings to mind the importance of upgrading the braking systems on the older vintage tow vehicles. Also the bigger, heavier cars of that era probably had even longer stopping distances.

PS.... Don't crush em... restore them!