Old 08-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #253
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
Hola Class

I have a Dealers Brochure on Towing for the 1967 and newer big Crashliers. They all say that just add a hitch and they are able to tow 5,500 lbs from the show room. Add the coolers and all the other stuff if you need more towing weight.

Since in that era they did not have the pretty pre-made tow hitches that we have today the factory brochure also tells ya how to design one for the weld shop to use.

I have a friend who does not tow, but has a 1973 Fury III two door with the 440 and OEM towing package. He has taken off the OEM hitch and stores it.

Have any of you read the MotorCade Towing test they have post on this site using the 1965 4 dr Dodge sedan ???

I can not wait until I have the 62 Imperial Crown Cpe ready for the road. One Cpe + one 1970 Overlander / InterNational = stares & thumbs up.

If any of you want more of this information, just send me an email.

Rodger & Gabby
Colo Spgs

Old 08-30-2006, 06:53 PM   #254
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
This will be at my house on Monday

Just like what my Grandfather towed with. Picked it up for a song... been sitting in a barn for the last 45 years. I can't wait... it even has a hitch on it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5a_3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	25379   Click image for larger version

Name:	69_3.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	25380  

Name:	a4_3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	25381   Click image for larger version

Name:	c4_3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	25382  

Name:	e3_3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	25383  

http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:19 PM   #255
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Oh, oh OH, I'm SO envious! That is just too cool! I was just telling Mom today, I wish I had Dad's old 57 Cadillac for my TV. Good job, Rob and Zoe!

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:40 PM   #256
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Way cool tow vehicle. I'd like to see your rig up close some day.
Don
Old 08-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #257
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Looks like a ’59 Buick & the body looks good. My uncle had one.
I recall seeing an old ’57 Cadillac coupe down the road from your place on the road (Rt.23?) toward Oneonta. But that Caddy needed a lot of $$$ work.
Good luck and this and all your other projects.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:18 PM   #258
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Just like what my Grandfather towed with. Picked it up for a song... been sitting in a barn for the last 45 years. I can't wait... it even has a hitch on it!
Wow, quite the car and it looks in great shape. Redo the brakes and fluids and you'll be out stylin real quick. These are great highway cruising cars with lots of power for pulling, and a ton of room inside. Be prepared for lots of queries. Is it a '59 or 60? I can't remember the difference, it's been just a tad too long. Glad you got a super deal on it, these can go for serious bucks if the right person wants it.
Barry
Old 08-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #259
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Selling on Ebay

It's rough, very rough... but worth saving in my mind. Who wants a Vintage Tow Vehicle... with our new to us 59 Buick, I am going a different route. Look at the Suburban for the other piece on my other auctions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270022497082

Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1073.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	25413  
Courtesy parking

Old 09-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #260
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
I got a call from a buddy last night who mentioned that a car lot called Campus Auto Sales in Chilliwack, BC has a 1956 Cadillac 2 dr Hdt, blue with white top, that he describes as a real creampuff, for sale for he understood less than $7,000 Canadian and so far no takers. It's a clean, complete and good looking driver. My friend built and drives a '35 Ford fordor hotrod and a '54 Ford Stationwagon, and both are tow vehicles for his SOB's, so he knows his cars (I'm working on him to move into an Airstream). There are great potential tow vehicles out there for those who do a bit of searching, and something like this caddy would add a whole new flavor to towing a vintage Airstream. If I didn't already have the '57 and '70 I'd be forced to go take a look but given I'm already maxed out with vehicles - okay, I'm thinking to myself, "who am I and what's happened that I think I have too many cars?" Is this part of the aging process? OMG, I can't believe I even thought that for a moment. If my wife thought I'd thought that she'd be taking my pulse and checking my pupils to see if I've had another stroke. Maybe I'll convince her to take me out to take a look tomorrow. B)
Old 09-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #261
Rivet Master

Rob,

Nice lines on the new puller. Think it will be ready by next season? You coming by the Edinburg, Va rally on your way home?

Paul Waddell
Old 09-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #262
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello rob ,Im not surprised at selling the travelall ,.It needs
another body tub ,its a good parts truck .I have restored my 68 travelall
and a few scouts ,some for others .It takes dedication to get these rigs
done right and that had forever written all over it .Way to much rust /rot.
the new car was very popular in the day with the airstream trailer folks.
It will be a real head turner I think. I saw a photo somewhere recently
of that car in a campground with airstream trailers ,can't remeber where though. There were multiple fullsized buicks shown of that same vintage.
That looks like an Invicta ,cant see the common buick logo though.

Scott
Old 09-03-2006, 04:27 AM   #263
Rivet Master

Plymouth , New York
Buick Electra

Paul,

I have Reserves next weekend, so not doing Edinburgh. Scott, it is an Electra with Autronic eye, Automatic Heat thermostat and Triple Turbine tranny - supposedly a rare combination for an Electra - sweet. It will be ready for next season! The pictures you've recently seen are on the Vintage Airstream Photo thread here on the forums, of my Grandfather's car and trailer set up - a 1959 Electra too! Yup, the Travelall was a major project and having just done that with the Jeep - this Buick is a cream puff in comparison.
Courtesy parking

Old 09-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #264
Rivet Master

First time out!

Here's a pic of my 1962 Ford Galaxie, 390, 4-speed, Conv. in the campground with my 1966 Safari at the WDCU rally in Edinburg, VA this past weekend. Car and trailer did OK on the way down. Found that it felt better driving on the old secondary roads than the Interstate highway. Was able to confirm on the trip things I thought would need to be tweaked, hitch height, car tires and load bars. All of which where either, to low or not heavy enough. Even after new rear leaf springs with the "Road Master Active Supension" the car still sat a little low. Rear tires on the car have very soft side walls and squatted a little more than I like. And I could not get the trailer high enough in the front. One of the problems I have, the standard hitch is either to low or to high for the car. If I put the bar in the down position, the head is to low, if I slide the bar in facing up, the head is to high. I was also using 800 pound load bars. I would think they would be heavy enough for the trailer with a 450 pound tounge weight.

I plan to make a new hitch head Tues night. One were the bar will be more of a "T" than like most of them today that look more like an "L". I also hope to find a tire that has a higher load rating this week. But with 14 inch tires, there's not a bunch out there. I have found a bais ply car tire from "Croker" that is rated at 1620 lbs at 32psi. Most 14" raidal tires are rated at 1500 lbs. I'll be calling my buddy "Joe" at the local tire place this week. I could go to a 15" tire, that would mean all new rims and wheel covers that would not be stock. That year of Galaxie did have a 406 option which would have had 15" tires. Also thinking of adding a "sway-bar" to front and rear of the car to cut back one some of the roll. Even though the car sits correct without the trailer, I may need to add airbags or something to hold up the tail-end when the trailer is connected. Some have said use "air-shocks" to get the rearend up. I understand thats not the best idea because if a shock mount breaks you get a shock in your trunk.

Paul Waddell
WDCU 1stVP (to be impeached)
1962 Galaxie, 1966 Safari
1968 Travelall, 1966 Overlander
1978 LTD Wagon, 1970 Safari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	galaxie-airstream.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	25850  
Old 09-12-2006, 01:27 AM   #265
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hello rideair ,

get sway bars front and rear ,say 1 1/8 front 1' rear definately need those.
that will help you greatly in the feel department and the car will be more stable.I also would get gas shocks ,KYB or other to give a stable ride also.
you will then feel good about the interstates.the hitch ball and tongue height
must be the same or pretty close to it ,when the car and trailer are level .
If your hitch and trailer are level and the same height unhitched ,the load
bars should keep it there when hitched and the bars under tension .the 800#
bars sound right .when you get the bar reconfigured you should be able to tension the bars ,no airshocks needed as the tensionong of the bars will
raise the backup to normal and level out the car and trailer.your bars should have a upward curvature to them say about 2" when tensioned .I use the
tongue jack to raise up the trailer and hitch locked in place to install the bars
when the jack is lowered the bars will have the bend in them .your car sounds like it has too much tongue weight on the rear now.you may need to
run a heavier tire in the rear ,or fifteens ,max air pressure in them .
post back on you progress ,get some pics posted of the hitch and all if you
can ,so we can see whats going on .

Scott of scottanlily
Old 09-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #266
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Paul, the car and trailer look great. We went through similar challenges when sorting out the '57 to tow. I ended up with aftermarket rims and 15" tires (235-75-15) on the rear and I already had airshocks. Our friend who tows with a '55 BelAir did the same thing but uses airbags as helpers when towing his 23' SOB (it's heavy) and neither of us have had any problems. Sway bars on the car help big time and he has front and rears, so far I've only got front on mine but will add the rear sway bar this winter. We both tow in the neighborhood of 3,000-5,000 miles a year and no issues. I will eventually move to the airbag system he has as it is simpler to air up and down as needed, is a stronger set up, and air shocks weren't designed for this much use. I won't change over till I have to as these have been working fine for 6 years but I can see the time drawing near.
Barry