Old 06-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #211
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Vintage puller

We pull our Excella with a '77 GMC C-25, 4spd. std. shift, or with our '67 International Travellall 4X4, 5spd std. shift. We like to park the 'Silver Pullit' someplace and then range out on back roads using the A/S as home base. Many international resources can be found at: http://www.binderbulletin.org. It is very much like this forum.
Attached Images

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:10 AM   #212
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Alright then !!

Now thats what Im talkin about right there Excella CM .Has heavy duty written all over it. IH Only in lancaster ca has a IH only parts yard .I just received a couple of front 44 spindles I needed from mike and he just got in another 66 or67 travelall ,has lots of stuff there.

Scott of scottanlily

Old 06-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #213
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Forgot to say that we also like to venture out in our travelall such as we did prospecting at rich hills near congress az last year .Went all over arizona ,did route 66 where we could starting in williams .Good times.

Scott
Old 06-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #214
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
New toy

We brought home this '65 Suburban Carryall over Memorial Day weekend and have spent the last few weeks fixing it up. Can't wait to take it camping - hopefully in two weeks, if all goes well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burb face.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	22856  
Old 06-26-2006, 07:10 PM   #215
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
WAY cool Mel!

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #216
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hey Mel,

Those carryalls were way cool ,The 1965 model year for that style cab
design is the most popular of the early 60s trucks.One thing i did with my travelall was to retro fit heavy duty sway bars front and rear and heavy duty shocks ,Helped more than you would believe in the stability of the truck.
Lookin good !

Scott of scottanlily
Old 06-26-2006, 11:49 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
'Burbs RULE!!!

LOVE THAT OLD BURB!!!!

That vintage TV will look AWESOME pulling your rig!

Keep posting any and all photos of your TV and your rig!

Keep em coming!!!

Axel

PS - Have you seen "Bruno's" amazing resto of the hauler trailer and his resto of his Lincoln??? Check out the search button! Inspiration for all of us 'old car' guys and gals!!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #218
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We just got back from our annual haul to Osoyoos, BC. It was great and our '57 pulled the Flying Cloud without a hitch. There are some significant mountain passes and climbs to be done and not a glitch. Our friends towed their vintage SOB's with their hotrods as well and no one had any issues. Round trip for us was 750 miles including some side trips, temperatures were in the mid to high 90's. Half the crew are now headed to Wenatchee for a rod run and then home to Vancouver but we had other commitments. Darn!

We sadly did not see one other Airstream of any vintage the entire trip but we sure got a ton of thumbs ups and there was a steady parade of folks taking pictures of the car/trailer whenever we'd stop for gas and at the campground.

We'll be back out next weekend as we head down to WA to a rod run/campout there.

Barry
Old 06-28-2006, 10:50 PM   #219
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Barry;
Always enjoy seeing your rig and trailer! How about some pictures of your trip, and friends rods (even if they are towing sob trailers).
Ernie
1958 Traveler, 18ft.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:36 AM   #220
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Thanks Ernie. I was remiss this year with my camera and await the return of the others to get their pics of this year. I'll post them as I get them. It was interesting the cars besides my '57 Pontiac. Also towing trailers are a 56 Chev Nomad wagon, 66 Impala 396 wagon, 38 Ford fordor, 55 Chev BelAir hdt, 56 Ford Truck, 2 40 Chev four doors (one was towed behind a motorhome, the other towed a trailer), 33 Plymouth 3 window coupe, a heavily customized 75 GMC motorhome. Other than one car needing a valve cover gasket (we should have changed it before going but he thought he'd take a chance) no one had any problems. Most of the trailers towed are of 70's vintage. I suppose it's quite a sight to see the group towing down the highway.
Barry
Old 07-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #221
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1990 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Looking for an older/vintage Suburban for TV

Does any one have any good resources (other then the dreaded Ebay) to find an older/vintage Suburban to purchase as a dedicated TV for my 65 Overlander? Are there any particular model years that I should stay away from?

Kathy
Old 07-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #222
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Kdenault,
If you go to your local magazine store and go to the vehical section ,they will have small paperback magazine called truck trader or car and truck trader.It is about 10" by 6" in size and many vintage trucks of all makes large and small
are listed for sale .It is a classified add for vehical sales.It gives access to all over the states.The best years for power steering ,v8 and auto trans in 1/2 ton 3/4 ton etc. 68 to 72 a very popular body style .the early years ,
such as 50 ,51 52 etc ,have poor steering ,stick shift 235 6 cylinder .Not
a robust vehical for towing a trailer .Now the early 60s suburbans to 66 were
much heavier duty ,power steering and auto trans still were not the rule.In
65 (the most popular year of that body style) could be had with a v8. You can find restored versions with updated drivetrains and a/c and such .I personally (and only my opinion) would be the 68 to 72 ,They would have all of the good stuff and are an excellent tow vehical.Watch out for rust so
west is where to look !Most all parts are available from many aftermarket sources ,and i mean most all ,because much of that style shares front sheetmetal ,interior parts ,engines trans ,etc etc. with the pickup .I would
look for that style ,would be easier to fix up and restore ,plenty of size.

Scott of scottanlily
Old 07-02-2006, 11:34 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
We brought home this '65 Suburban Carryall over Memorial Day weekend and have spent the last few weeks fixing it up. Can't wait to take it camping - hopefully in two weeks, if all goes well.
Mel, that is a neat looking suburban. I saw one recently, similar body style but unsure of the year, with a V6, the second one I've seen since we went to the Tin Can Tourists campout in Deming, WA. I had not known they had a V6 as an option. What does yours have for powertrain, options, etc? Have you had it out yet? I really like them. If I were forced to move up from the '57 I'd be looking hard at the sixties are first couple of years of the 70's suburbans. For me an automatic is pretty much mandatory but easy enough to convert a standard if that's what comes along. Are you attending the TCT Deming event this August?

Barry
Old 07-03-2006, 01:05 AM   #224
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello safari57 ,

sorry the question was not posed to me but the v6 is made by gmc .It is a 302 cubic inch engine with an extremely long connecting rod length .The span
between the timing chain gears is 6/7" .Made for low torque ,heavy truck service ,seen them in 3 ton GMC dump trucks .If its a chevy it might have a 235 straight six ,but in 65 a 194 or 230 likley straight 6 would be in that burb.
Any thing is possible say if it is a GMC suburban than a 302 v6 .Just some engine trivia there.

Scott